PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Warrior L300 speaker

rob1963
05-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Last Sunday, at the end of my disco when I saw saying goodnight on the mic, I noticed that one of the speakers was vibrating as I spoke. It had been fine with the music, and only happened when I spoke to say goodnight to everyone.

It sounded a bit like the cone had popped...although not as bad (I know what that sounds like, as it happened a couple of years back!). The cone seemed fine through the grill though. On getting it checked, the cone was completely intact.

A colleague has replaced the 12 inch cone, and I've just got the speaker back.

I thought I'd do a quick test, so I connected it to a mixer amplifier, plugged in & spoke into my sm58 mic...and it STILL vibrates when I talk!

It's definately been fitted with a new cone, and it's too much of a coincidence that 2 different cones would BOTH vibrate like that, so I'm now wondering what else the problem could be.

I couldn't really tell exactly where the vibration was coming from, but assumed it was the main cone.

Could it be something to do with the horn or the crossover?

I should point out that these speakers are about 7 or 8 years old, but they've always worked fine...apart from one of the cones popping a couple of years back (I had BOTH cones replaced at the time, to be on the safe side).

Any ideas please anyone?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Penfold42
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Pay someone to do a proper job...you tight wad...:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Or get a decent pair of cabs.....:thumbsup: :sofa: :boxer2: :tongue2:

rob1963
05-07-2007, 09:01 PM

I did...it was done by my brother, who is an electronics engineer & absolutely brilliant!

Wanna step outside, Darren?

...I've been looking for someone to replace Ricesnaps! :p

:riceandrob: :lol: :boxer2:

Penfold42
05-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Not very helpful are we......:p :p

It's been one of those day's today......:D :zip:

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM

LOL!

You mean............

You haven't..........

Done away with Ricesnaps?!!!:eek: :eek: :D :cool:

rob1963
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
:lol:

Penfold42
05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I did...it was done by my brother, who is an electronics engineer & absolutely brilliant!

Didn't do a good job then......:p :D

rob1963
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
:ontopic:

PropellerHeadCase
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Any chance the problem is in fact that your microphone capsule has gone bung and what you're hearing through the speaker is a true representation of the sound being sent by the mic, i.e. the capsule rattling around in the assembly when you talk? Just a thought.

rob1963
05-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Any chance the problem is in fact that your microphone capsule has gone bung and what you're hearing through the speaker is a true representation of the sound being sent by the mic, i.e. the capsule rattling around in the assembly when you talk? Just a thought.

Hi Al,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it's that, as it only happens with ONE of my speakers...the other one is fine.

Still scratching my head :(

PropellerHeadCase
06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
OK, is there anything else near that speaker in your usual set-up that might be loose? I get occasional popping/rattling from a couple of my older lights. Also, is the grille on the speaker kosher (not pushed in at all), such that it might come in to physical contact with a maxed-out cone?

CRAZY K
06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
LOL!

You mean............

You haven't..........

Done away with Ricesnaps?!!!:eek: :eek: :D :cool:

I hope not--hes covering a Wild West Party in Norwich for me next Friday.:D

Havent decided yet Matt if im going

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Last Sunday, at the end of my disco when I saw saying goodnight on the mic, I noticed that one of the speakers was vibrating as I spoke. It had been fine with the music, and only happened when I spoke to say goodnight to everyone.

It sounded a bit like the cone had popped...although not as bad (I know what that sounds like, as it happened a couple of years back!). The cone seemed fine through the grill though. On getting it checked, the cone was completely intact.

I thought I'd do a quick test, so I connected it to a mixer amplifier, plugged in & spoke into my sm58 mic...and it STILL vibrates when I talk!

It's definately been fitted with a new cone, and it's too much of a coincidence that 2 different cones would BOTH vibrate like that, so I'm now wondering what else the problem could be.

I couldn't really tell exactly where the vibration was coming from, but assumed it was the main cone.

Could it be something to do with the horn or the crossover?

I should point out that these speakers are about 7 or 8 years old, but they've always worked fine...apart from one of the cones popping a couple of years back (I had BOTH cones replaced at the time, to be on the safe side).

Any ideas please anyone?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Must be the frequency of your voice then---do you break glasses at home when you speak :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously its either--

Loose bolt screw or something in the cabinet is loose or maybe a structural failure of the cab i.e its split but you cant see it perhaps

Looking at the inside of my old Skytec cabs I often wonder why they dont rattle more:eek:

Crossover--could be loose wire or fixings flapping around ---did your brother
check all soldered joints?

Finally get your brother round--do the demo complete with rattling--and say

WHAT DO YOU RECKON BRUV:D :D :D OVER TO YOU:D

Maybe your plan to sell the Sound system and buy something else was a really good idea--

Ill bet you find its something silly---always is:)

CRAZY K

rob1963
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
OK, is there anything else near that speaker in your usual set-up that might be loose? I get occasional popping/rattling from a couple of my older lights. Also, is the grille on the speaker kosher (not pushed in at all), such that it might come in to physical contact with a maxed-out cone?

Al,

Nothing near the speaker that could be loose, as it was the same when I tested it afterwards with the speaker on my bed. No problems with the grill either.

Its either--

Loose bolt screw or something in the cabinet is loose or maybe a structural failure of the cab i.e its split but you cant see it perhaps

Crossover--could be loose wire or fixings flapping around ---did your brother
check all soldered joints?

Finally get your brother round--do the demo complete with rattling--and say

WHAT DO YOU RECKON BRUV:D :D :D OVER TO YOU:D

Ill bet you find its something silly---always is:)

CRAZY K

Crazy,

I didn't get my brother to look at the crossover, I just assumed it was the cone & asked him to replace that.

I'll be following your advice though. I'm taking it over to him on Sunday, plugging it into my mixer amp & talk on the mic so he can hear exactly what's happening, then I'll definately be saying "What do you reckon bruv? Over to you!"

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Seriously Rob, if you've had a pair of cabs for 7 years, then they've done well and maybe need to be retired?

rob1963
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
You're right, Darren, although they aren't completely 7 years old, as I did replace both cones 18 months ago (when one popped).

This won't beat my brother, because nothing does, it's just puzzling at the moment. He's going to have a look at the crossover, as by process of elimination he's pretty sure it's to do with that.

When they are fixed, I hope to be able to get another year or so out of them before replacing them with a pair of C300Zs.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-07-2007, 09:11 AM
You're right, Darren, although they aren't completely 7 years old, as I did replace both cones 18 months ago (when one popped).

This won't beat my brother, because nothing does, it's just puzzling at the moment. He's going to have a look at the crossover, as by process of elimination he's pretty sure it's to do with that.

When they are fixed, I hope to be able to get another year or so out of them before replacing them with a pair of C300Zs.

How strangely bizarre - in my last post I typed about getting a pair of those and then deleted it.....

I have a pair in my garage if you'd like to have a listen before you buy - you're welcome to pop over.

rob1963
06-07-2007, 09:13 AM
How strangely bizarre - in my last post I typed about getting a pair of those and then deleted it.....

I have a pair in my garage if you'd like to have a listen before you buy - you're welcome to pop over.

Spooky about you typing that & deleting it!

Thanks for the offer of hearing them...may well take you up on that when I'm ready to replace mine.

dj-jaym
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Spooky about you typing that & deleting it!

Thanks for the offer of hearing them...may well take you up on that when I'm ready to replace mine.

New pair of cabs you were thinking of upgrading anyway