PDA

View Full Version : PA Help

ross@rds
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi guys still stuck on what to buy as a pa system , these any good and if so anyone recommend a amp for them ? looking to spend about £300 on a system

www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems/light_300_watt_polyurethane_cabinet_15_inch/20709_p.html

flatliners
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
dont look to bad those speakers will be good for mobile discos

Tony Scott
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi guys still stuck on what to buy as a pa system , these any good and if so anyone recommend a amp for them ? looking to spend about £300 on a system

www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems/light_300_watt_polyurethane_cabinet_15_inch/20709_p.html

Look at this Ross http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_ta1050ii_endstufe.htm

I got the 1400 version it's a fantastic workhorse, reliable and plenty of power.
The 1050 is the same pcb and basic amp but lower power. For £131 it's a steal, looks like good bit of kit. Worth a look! :)

rob1963
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Ross,

I think many people here would recommend a pair of Mackie C300z speakers.

They appear to be available for about £350 a pair here:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do;jsessionid=8C59FAE06778D827EC848B AFAA5D17FB?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=MACK-C300Z&context=WEB

At the time of posting, their site is down, so you will have to check the link later.

:)

ross@rds
06-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Ive found an amp now so looing to spend £300 on speakers.

Corabar Steve
07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Don't look too bad, those speakers will be good for mobile discos
Have you had any experience of JB Systems speakers then?

DMX Will
07-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Have you had any experience of JB Systems speakers then?

They're rubbish.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-07-2007, 12:26 PM
They're rubbish.

Care to expand on that Will?

ross@rds
07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Will not be getting them everyone says they are poo to say the least the search goes on lol looking to spend £300 on speakers if anyone has any ideas ?

Thanks Tony ive had a look and gonna buy the amp may go for the 4000 one you have looks good, Im more a light man than sound so any help would be great cheers.

Dragonfly
07-07-2007, 01:11 PM
think there is one called .... the box .... from thomann ross one or 2 have said they look ok i think?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa302a_biamped_fullrangebox.htm

ross@rds
07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Dave

yes ive heard about them ill have a look getting the amp from there so may as well get the speakers there too lol.

Dragonfly
07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Dave

yes ive heard about them ill have a look getting the amp from there so may as well get the speakers there too lol.

hold fire on the amp ross the box is active....

2 amps and 2 speakers for the price you want to pay for 1 amp and 2 speakers.

ross@rds
07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Anyone use these speakers The Box from thomann ? if so any good ?

www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa502_fullrangesystem.htm
www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa302_fullrangesystem.htm

ross@rds
07-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys pair of these im gonna get -

Vibrant Sounds
07-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I've had both of the actives PA302As and PA502As. Both are 400watt bi-amped active powered speakers with built in EQ. The PA502As are more expensive and have a better low end sound due to their 15" drivers, but they are bleddy heavy at about 34kgs each. The PA302As are a similar spec to the Mackie SRM450s but with a lower SPL, good speaker though and they will do a good job.

With a three year warranty, you will not be disappointed,

dj-jaym
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys pair of these im gonna get -

Mine turned up last week, Took them to a gig last night was impressed to say least only had them up half way and no sign clipping nice n clear, And handy thing is if people want to do wedding speech's they can plug direct into them to save them using your mixer etc, Or could hire them out for confrences. Only thing i would say is i wouldnt gig them on there own, I had them with 2 carlsbro gamma 15's and the box 15" sub sounded sweet, I will listen to the 12's on there own start of the night tonite before adding rest, Mind you on the floor at start of night with shaggy on nice bass line but you loose it on tripods, Worth thinking about if you havent got anythign else to run with em go for the 15's or add the bass bin you know you want to

DMX Will
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Ive found an amp now so looing to spend £300 on speakers.

Shouldn't you look at an amp and speakers at the same time, to ensure compatiability with regards to power?

If you're doing alot of the 16/17/18/21 stuff in social clubs you might like something impressive.....

http://www.class-d.com/Product.aspx?PRO=717

for just £100 more, You'd probably need two amps though (tops and bins) otherwise you'll end up running the system at 2 ohms.

Care to expand on that Will?

They don't justify anyone's time to explain! I actually found the speakon outputs out of phase on the amp I used (I bought one for school - doh!)

ross@rds
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Its kool ive found a system

http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=12253

dj-jaym
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
What amp ross, and it takes you over your budget

ross@rds
08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Ive uped my budget after hearing about these , amp Behringer EP1500.

Danno13
08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Ross.. you'd be daft to buy the ep1500.. its 280w at 8ohm. For an extra £25 you could have the ep2500 which is 450w at 8 ohm!

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Ross.. you'd be daft to buy the ep1500.. its 280w at 8ohm. For an extra £25 you could have the ep2500 which is 450w at 8 ohm!

Agreed! ABOUT THE AMP NOT THE DAFT THING! :D

Excalibur
08-07-2007, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=DMX Will;124559]Shouldn't you look at an amp and speakers at the same time, to ensure compatiability with regards to power?

If you're doing alot of the 16/17/18/21 stuff in social clubs you might like something impressive.....

for just £100 more, You'd probably need two amps though (tops and bins) otherwise you'll end up running the system at 2 ohms.

QUOTE]

I wonder if you have read some of their blurb. Run into 15" full range first, link parallel into subs= 4ohms. Then feed 12" tops from sub crossover without affecting impedance. Run at 4 ohms, it's the system I would have probably have bought if I had gone into the shop with a little more forethought, and £150 more cash!

Niteowl
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Is any one selling secondhand equipment? idealy boxed CD & mixer set.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2007, 08:54 PM

That's a bit random? :confused:

Vectis
08-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Got one of these, but unfortunately not boxed. Any good? :p

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=DMX Will;124559]Shouldn't you look at an amp and speakers at the same time, to ensure compatiability with regards to power?

QUOTE]

I wonder if you have read some of their blurb. Run into 15" full range first, link parallel into subs= 4ohms. Then feed 12" tops from sub crossover without affecting impedance. Run at 4 ohms, it's the system I would have probably have bought if I had gone into the shop with a little more forethought, and £150 more cash!

I just took a look at the spec on these class-d things, the bass bins have a maximum spl of 90db, this is a maximum spl, means that driven at full power (350w) they only create 90db which is next to useless.

Class-D bass bins produce: 90db for 350watts @ 1 mtr
By comparison my bass horns produce: 99dbfor 1watt rms @ 1 mtr

Given that volume doubles with every 3db increase my bass horns are 3 times louder at 1watt than the class-d bins are at 350w.

This would explain why the whole system is only £399.

If I have got my sums wrong please correct me, but I think I'm correct.

Niteowl
08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I have some Class-D Speakers they ar fine good bass response. I imagine the rest of their stuff is fine. I think you may have your sums wrong?

Niteowl
08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Got one of these, but unfortunately not boxed. Any good? :p

Thanks but I'll pass. I keep watching DJ Bids but there never seems to be more than a few items on it.
Required double CD players & DJ mixer 19" in a flight case. To be as second set or back up toto main set. Not fussy about make as long as it is working codition and reasonably priced.:bang: :beer1:

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
I have some Class-D Speakers they ar fine good bass response. I imagine the rest of their stuff is fine. I think you may have your sums wrong?

I based my calcs on the max spl of 90db that class-d specify for their CD15 SUB BASS CABS and based on that my sums are right. Can't say for their other speakers coz they don't seem to specify the spl.

The spl relates to how loud a speaker is for a given input and has nothing to do with bass response, I'm sure they give a nice deep bass but with a maximum SPL of 90 db you would have to put an awful lot of power in to get anything out.

The only thing I can think is they may have miss printed it, they do seem quite popular though! :)

gillo
08-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I based my calcs on the max spl of 90db that class-d specify for their CD15 SUB BASS CABS and based on that my sums are right. Can't say for their other speakers coz they don't seem to specify the spl.

The spl relates to how loud a speaker is for a given input and has nothing to do with bass response, I'm sure they give a nice deep bass but with a maximum SPL of 90 db you would have to put an awful lot of power in to get anything out.

The only thing I can think is they may have miss printed it, they do seem quite popular though! :)

i think its there sensitivity 90 d/b 1w 1m typing error i think

Excalibur
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Don't think for a minute that you're wrong. I have found that my Class d's need a lot of power putting in for a good response. Yes, more expensive gear would be more efficient, but correspondingly much more expensive. Some of us cut our coats according to our cloth.

Edit note: Didn't spot that it said 350w rather than 1w ! Must get my eyes tested! Other than that my comments stand

DMX Will
08-07-2007, 11:18 PM
[quote=Excalibur;124678]

I just took a look at the spec on these class-d things, the bass bins have a maximum spl of 90db, this is a maximum spl, means that driven at full power (350w) they only create 90db which is next to useless.

Class-D bass bins produce: 90db for 350watts @ 1 mtr
By comparison my bass horns produce: 99dbfor 1watt rms @ 1 mtr

Given that volume doubles with every 3db increase my bass horns are 3 times louder at 1watt than the class-d bins are at 350w.

This would explain why the whole system is only £399.

If I have got my sums wrong please correct me, but I think I'm correct.

I haven't a clue if your right or wrong, as I'm not entirely sure how you work it out, not that I would if I did!

I can't really comment, as I'm pretty sure they arn't the subs we've got.

so....I know nothing! :beer1:

Tony Scott
09-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Don't think for a minute that you're wrong. I have found that my Class d's need a lot of power putting in for a good response. Yes, more expensive gear would be more efficient, but correspondingly much more expensive. Some of us cut our coats according to our cloth.

Edit note: Didn't spot that it said 350w rather than 1w ! Must get my eyes tested! Other than that my comments stand

[quote=DMX Will;124731]

I haven't a clue if your right or wrong, as I'm not entirely sure how you work it out, not that I would if I did!

I can't really comment, as I'm pretty sure they arn't the subs we've got.

so....I know nothing! :beer1:

Sorry lads I'm not slagging them off I was just a bit shocked at how low the SPL was, It really is exceptionaly low.

I do get a bit passionate about sound, same as you with lighting Will, so please forgive my Tech-rant!! :D

Good point about cost v efficiency Excalibur. :)

Tony Scott
09-07-2007, 06:52 AM
i think its there sensitivity 90 d/b 1w 1m typing error i think

Yeah, must be Gillo.....that's still very low though even for a 1w @1mtr spec, particularly as they are of horn of sorts :)

Niteowl
10-07-2007, 08:32 PM

Not trying to open a whole bag of worms but isn't there some HSE at work law going through about 85dbs in work places Ie pubs function rooms etc.
I am happy with mine although they aren't subs but I have been looking at some off their site. :confused:

Excalibur
10-07-2007, 09:35 PM

The bass output is superb, it's the top which is less wonderful.

TONYTIGER
12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi lets talk about speakers because there is some absolute rubbish being talked. I have been a profesional cabinet maker for 40 years or more and used to build for martin audio. Firstly the enclosure whats it made of that is chipboard ,mdf, ply, or injection moulded plastic. how is it put together glued, nailed, screwed, stapeled, or biscuit jointed, is it braced ? has it been tuned, is it the right volume, is it long throw, if your using subs and tops are they in phase what is the freqency response are the xover points correct and i could go on. the point im trying to make is that speakers are a sicence in there own ,and the sad fact is the manufactures of a lot of speakers aimed at the mobile market know most end users are pretty clueless hence we have a lot of boxes nailed together with some cheap far eastern driver that you have never heard of and cant get reconed . If your serious about your sound do a little research and ask yourself some of the points i have mentioned. phew! glad i got that of my chest love the forum really TONYTIGER

Excalibur
12-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi lets talk about speakers because there is some absolute rubbish being talked. I have been a profesional cabinet maker for 40 years or more and used to build for martin audio. Firstly the enclosure whats it made of that is chipboard ,mdf, ply, or injection moulded plastic. how is it put together glued, nailed, screwed, stapeled, or biscuit jointed, is it braced ? has it been tuned, is it the right volume, is it long throw, if your using subs and tops are they in phase what is the freqency response are the xover points correct and i could go on. the point im trying to make is that speakers are a sicence in there own ,and the sad fact is the manufactures of a lot of speakers aimed at the mobile market know most end users are pretty clueless hence we have a lot of boxes nailed together with some cheap far eastern driver that you have never heard of and cant get reconed . If your serious about your sound do a little research and ask yourself some of the points i have mentioned. phew! glad i got that of my chest love the forum really TONYTIGER

Have we said something to upset you?:confused: :D

Actually I agree with much of what you say, there really is some crud about as prices are hitting the floor for some stuff. It is unreasonable to expect to get a BMW for the price of a Skoda.

However, speaking to a nice man at a company I respect, I had my suspicions confirmed that some equipment ( which I have some of ) is identical to a more prestigious name, without the big-name badge yet much less money. If you get the badge-engineered stuff well and good, if it's just crap, then tough!

DJWayne
12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Looking at those class D speakers that were posted i have to say they don't inspire confidence just stating the obvious "what would you expect for £400" they don't look that clever.

I thought the old days of DJ's taking in 3 pairs of speakers was gone and that todays professionals have gone for more compact and powerful speakers I know i have.

Excalibur
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Looking at those class D speakers that were posted i have to say they don't inspire confidence just stating the obvious "what would you expect for £400" they don't look that clever.

I thought the old days of DJ's taking in 3 pairs of speakers was gone and that todays professionals have gone for more compact and powerful speakers I know i have.

If it had not been over my budget, I would have got that system. It would have been very flexible in the ways it could be used. However, I got the three way enclosure 215's for much less money, and the better sound. The downsides with these are they are a bit heavy, and if they are not on a stage, lose treble as the puntrs mill round and muffle the top end. However, I since purchased a pair of Class D subs, and a crossover, to utilise my old amps. The bass output is more than adequate, and the sound is very good, with my old Eurosys 3's on top. This is now a very acceptable second rig, and is used as main where space is tight.

DJWayne
12-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I suppose everyoone has their own taste when it comes to sound and what they think is good or bad sound. I use expensive speakers becuse i like the sound they give me and the ability to use a small pair of speakers instead of loads of cabinets which is hard work :)

Excalibur
12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I suppose everyoone has their own taste when it comes to sound and what they think is good or bad sound. I use expensive speakers becuse i like the sound they give me and the ability to use a small pair of speakers instead of loads of cabinets which is hard work :)

I'd like a pair of 15" , four ohm full range to handle about 2000watts , weighing about 15 kilos, but sadly I can't afford any! Till then Class D and three shredded wheat it is!

DJWayne
12-07-2007, 08:20 PM
what you can eat 3!!!!! :eek:

Excalibur
12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
what you can eat 3!!!!! :eek:

Of course, see my reply about Transport/vans to Rob!:p