PDA

View Full Version : connecting equipment

DaveyG1980
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
right, how do you guys connect your equipment, do you use one main extension lead then connect others to it and run from that or do you do it different....one lot for lights, another for speakers what....??

Shaun
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Mines is pretty straight forward for regular sized shows. One for sound and two for lighting.

One 6 gang extension for sound, one 4 gang extension for moving heads, one single extension going to 8 way switching unit for other lighting effects.

rob1963
08-07-2007, 02:57 PM
My basic set up only uses about 2.2kW and the larger one uses about 2.8kW.

You can draw up to 3kW from one socket, so I plug a 4 way block into a wall socket & then plug all my stuff into the 4 way block...simple!

If I was using more power, I'd use 2 sockets...one for sound & one for lighting, which seems to be what many people do.

:)

DMX Will
08-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Mines is pretty straight forward for regular sized shows. One for sound and two for lighting.

One 6 gang extension for sound, one 4 gang extension for moving heads, one single extension going to 8 way switching unit for other lighting effects.

2 for lights? What are you running?

rob1963
08-07-2007, 04:43 PM

I was wondering the same thing...bearing in mind that you can easily run 3,000 watts of lighting from one socket.

Shaun...surely you can't be running 6,000 watts of lighting?

:eek:

dj-jaym
08-07-2007, 05:04 PM
hes already said one for his moving heads ,And a single to his switchpack

DMX Will
08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
hes already said one for his moving heads ,And a single to his switchpack

That doesn't tell us what hes using with regards to equipment does it!

dj-jaym
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
That doesn't tell us what hes using with regards to equipment does it!

Dont think it matters was more how he connects not what

Paul James Promotions
08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
For small shows, 1 socket is enough for everything. For bigger shows, 2 sockets for amp rack, 1 for overhead lighting and 1 for flames / starcloth etc.

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 06:53 PM
right, how do you guys connect your equipment, do you use one main extension lead then connect others to it and run from that or do you do it different....one lot for lights, another for speakers what....??

I also run three.

* 1 for sound, 6 gang (same as shaun)

* 2 for lights.

on the 2 lighting leads I run:

4 x 250w halogen moving heads
4 x 250w halogen scanners (acme winner/intimidator II's)
2 x 250w Discharge scanners (Shiva 250r)
2 x 250w Datamoons
4 x LED Par56 cans
1 x 900w hazer
(mirror ball motors)
DMX Lighting controller
Lighting Laptop

and sometimes if I need them 6 x spinmasters.

Sound, between 2.4kW - 6kW, need 1 extra cable if full 6kW.

spin mobile disco
08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I run 1 for sound 1 for lighting. Although when using my linedancer lights i run 2 for lighting as they tend to draw a lot of juice and occasioanlly make a crack in audio if used on same curcuit.

Vectis
08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Small/Medium rig - 1x 13A reel for audio, 1x 13A reel for lighting. If I can get them off of different rings to avoid the occasional click, all the better.

Large rig - 2x 13A reel for lighting just to spread the load :o

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Looks like I might be in line to win the award "Only MDD member who uses one socket"

:D

What do I win?

This is the point where someone ruins my fun by saying that THEY only use 1 socket too!

Ricesnaps
08-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Looks like I might be in line to win the award "Only MDD member who uses one socket"

What do I win?

This is the point where someone ruins my fun by saying that THEY only use 1 socket too!

Can I just say, having worked with a twit (not directed straight at you Rob) as a DJ for him, who ran absolutely everything off a single socket.

Seems an absolutely crazy idea to me. Why on earth, unless you had absolutely no choice, would you ever consider running from a single socket - regardless of the power you actually need

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM

What do I win?

You win an embarrassing 10 minutes franticly trying to find another lead when your one and only cable blows it's fuse! :eek:

You will be able to claim this prize at some time in the future and the best thing is it will be a total suprise.................don't you love suprises?? :D :D

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Seems an absolutely crazy idea to me. Why on earth, unless you had absolutely no choice, would you ever consider running from a single socket - regardless of the power you actually need

Simple - because a single socket supplies MORE power than I use.

Therefore, I only need to use 1 socket!

Why is that "Crazy"?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Similarly, if I was making a cake which required 400g of dates, I wouldn't go out & buy two 500g packs!

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Can I just say, having worked with a twit (not directed straight at you Rob) as a DJ for him, who ran absolutely everything off a single socket.

Why wouldn't you?

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Simple - because a single socket supplies MORE power than I use.

Therefore, I only need to use 1 socket!

Why is that "Crazy"?

Similarly, if I was making a cake which required 400g of dates, I wouldn't go out & buy two 500g packs!

I would coz I love dates, I'd scoff the ones I didn't need! :D

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
You win an embarrassing 10 minutes franticly trying to find another lead when your one and only cable blows it's fuse! :eek:

You will be able to claim this prize at some time in the future and the best thing is it will be a total suprise.................don't you love suprises?? :D :D

Tony,

After 24 years in the business, do you REALLY think I only carry one mains cable? :eek:

Having said that, it's never let me down.

Secondly, yes...I LOVE surprises...but only nice ones!

:p

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I would coz I love dates, I'd scoff the ones I didn't need! :D

Tony - stop complicating things! :moon:

BeerFunk
08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I use 2 sockets just because of the positioning of my equipment, one extension goes to the lights and another to everything else. Otherwise, I'd use just one socket, as one is all you need. Ricesnaps, I'd like to hear the reasons for not using a single socket?

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Why wouldn't you?

At the very least as back-up. I always run 2 even if i didn't need it. We all have back-up music playout sytems so makes sense to have back-up power source IMHO

Mabey if you've never had a supply fuse fail then it doesn't seem that vital, I don't ever want it to happen to me again. :)

BeerFunk
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Fuses only get blown for a reason, and I've never seen a mains extension fuse go! I'd say there is a good chance you're doing something wrong if you do blow it, either that or a very dodgy mains supply!

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Ricesnaps, I'd like to hear the reasons for not using a single socket?

I'm waiting for those reasons too...I've used a single socket for over 2,500 discos & quiz nights over the last 24 years with no problems.

I can't see the advantage of plugging into 5,000 mains sockets instead of 2,500.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
At the very least as back-up. I've always run 2 even if i didn't need it. We all have back-up music playout sytems so makes sense to have back-up power source IMHO

So how long do you think it would take to get a gang from my lead bag and plug everything in to that?

Not a lot longer than unplugging from one gang and back into your 'backup' one that's already plugged in.

rob1963
08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
So how long do you think it would take to get a gang from my lead bag and plug everything in to that?

Not a lot longer than unplugging from one gang and back into your 'backup' one that's already plugged in.

Ahhhhhhhh...the voice of reason! :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Ahhhhhhhh...the voice of reason! :D

To be honest, I do usually keep sound and light separate if I am doing a bigger gig, but with most of them, everything goes into one gang.

I think the poriginal idea of having separate sockets was that so you didn't get any noises through the system while turning lights on and off, but these days switch panels and the like are fairly well surpressed anyway, so you wouldn't get that problem.

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Tony,

After 24 years in the business, do you REALLY think I only carry one mains cable? :eek:

Having said that, it's never let me down.

Secondly, yes...I LOVE surprises...but only nice ones!

:p

No of course you have a spare Rob but to run 2 leads and share the load lessons the chance of an overload and means there is always a back-up waiting ready to go, plugged in so cutting down the time it takes to get back up and running.

It had never happened to me in 20 years but it did happen 2 weeks running about 4 years ago so perhaps I'm a bit paranoid! I just feel happier and I also need 2,3 or even 4 now with the new kit I've got :)

BOO! was that a suprise?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
No of course you have a spare Rob but to run 2 leads and share the load lessons the chance of an overload and means there is always a back-up waiting ready to go, plugged in so cutting down the time it takes to get back up and running.

Did you not use surge protectors or RCDs?

rob1963
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
BOO! was that a suprise?

Indeed it was, but as I said, I only like NICE surprises...which it wasn't!

I'm curious Tony - what packed up for you 2 weeks in a row to make you paranoid? and more importantly - what caused it?

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Indeed it was, but as I said, I only like NICE surprises...which it wasn't!

I'm curious Tony - what packed up for you 2 weeks in a row to make you paranoid? and more importantly - what caused it?

Mains lead fuse went 2 weeks running, tracked it down to an intermitant fault on a derby lighting effect, strange thing was it didn't blow any other fuses, just the 13 amp in the main lead.

rob1963
08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Mains lead fuse went 2 weeks running, tracked it down to an intermitant fault on a derby lighting effect, strange thing was it didn't blow any other fuses, just the 13 amp in the main lead.

Weird!

Maybe you'll have to stop doing gigs at the derby then!

I think the odds of that are evens!

:lol:

Ricesnaps
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Why wouldn't you?

For exactly the same reason you carry a spare mixer, or a spare lamp. What I don't get is, if you don't HAVE to use a single socket, why would you? How much sense does that make??? My gear only uses 11.5 amps, so I'm fine running from one 13 amp socket. That REALLY makes sense doesn't it! Then there are all the venues which have circuit brakers for the disco, which won't actually manage to supply to total it should before it trips.

All just seems somewhat daft IMHO. I mean if there's never been a problem, then why do we have insurance?

I'll carry on airing on the side of caution I think Rob. As they say, better safe than sorry.

Tony Scott
08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Weird!

Maybe you'll have to stop doing gigs at the derby then!

I think the odds of that are evens!

:lol:

Groan! :D

Excalibur
08-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Fuses only get blown for a reason, and I've never seen a mains extension fuse go! I'd say there is a good chance you're doing something wrong if you do blow it, either that or a very dodgy mains supply!

One good reason for fuses blowing is cretins overloading them! I have seen it on many occasions, and any backup supply is a very fine idea.

rob1963
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
For exactly the same reason you carry a spare mixer, or a spare lamp. What I don't get is, if you don't HAVE to use a single socket, why would you? How much sense does that make??? My gear only uses 11.5 amps, so I'm fine running from one 13 amp socket. That REALLY makes sense doesn't it! Then there are all the venues which have circuit brakers for the disco, which won't actually manage to supply to total it should before it trips.

All just seems somewhat daft IMHO. I mean if there's never been a problem, then why do we have insurance?

I'll carry on airing on the side of caution I think Rob. As they say, better safe than sorry.

Ricesnaps,

It makes PERFECT sense, because my disco uses less power than one socket supplies!

You say if there's never been a problem, then why do we have insurance?

Here's another question: If there's never been a problem using 1 socket in 24 years, why start using 2?

If it takes 10 seconds for me to get out a second mains adaptor, plug it into the wall & switch it on, and that's what I'd always done, then over the last 24 years I would have wasted about 7 hours plugging in a second lead for absolutely no benefit or logical reason whatsoever...what a waste of time!

It's a bit like me starting to take a table for my CDs to every gig...I've only been refused a table ONCE in 24 years, so there's really no point in starting to take one now on the off-chance that it might happen once more in the NEXT 24 years...even though I'll be retired within the next 10 years!

You have to draw the line somewhere, and all that's needed it a bit of common sense...of which I have plenty.

Ricesnaps
08-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Tony, he's all yours, I can't be bothered any more!

PropellerHeadCase
09-07-2007, 12:01 AM
At ANY venue the probability that the only thing on the fuse is you is virtually nil. So how much your system actually draws is irrelevant as there is a very big X=? in your calculation. Coffee urns, fridges and anything else with a thermostat will draw a large amount of power, suddenly - such transients WILL blow a fuse if you have both lights and a sound system on it, especially if you are running a reasonably powerful sub. In my case I lost power due to a WC hand-dryer being on the same circuit as me.

I ALWAYS run lights and sound from separate lead, and preferably from separate fuses, for this reason and because you can't vouch for how old the wiring is in many places so RF noise from dimmers is always a possibility.

Sorry, but 20 years without incident doesn't mean that the first time it happens won't be at the most embarrassing and inopportune moment. I'd rather take the extra two minutes at every show than lose power on the first dance or shortly thereafter.

rob1963
09-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry, but 20 years without incident doesn't mean that the first time it happens won't be at the most embarrassing and inopportune moment.

Al,

It's 24 years without incident...not 20! :p

...so what are the chances there WILL be a first time in the remaining 5 to 10 years before I retire?

The odds of me winning the lottery are probably better!

PropellerHeadCase
09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
You know, I almost wrote 20-ish but I didn't think that was necessary :p

Your risk, mate. It's happened to me twice in 13 years, and that was despite being on separate power lines, and it's happened to Tony twice recently. Given the recent stories about dodgy gennies, and my gig with the woefully short and dodgy voltage it just seems like something to be aware of, that's all.

Lotto in New Zealand has, if I recall correctly 1 chance in 3,838,383 of winning per entry and a minimum purchase of four, so the chance of winning Lotto in NZ is almost literally 1 in a million. I've lost power due to pther things on the same fuse twice in less than a thousand gigs (and once because some electrical work was being done on the air-con in a hotel and the sparky pulled the wrong fuse!). 1:500 versus 1:1000000 - your call.

rob1963
09-07-2007, 12:26 AM
You know, I almost wrote 20-ish but I didn't think that was necessary :p

Your risk, mate. It's happened to me twice in 13 years, and that was despite being on separate power lines, and it's happened to Tony twice recently. Given the recent stories about dodgy gennies, and my gig with the woefully short and dodgy voltage it just seems like something to be aware of, that's all.

Lotto in New Zealand has, if I recall correctly 1 chance in 3,838,383 of winning per entry and a minimum purchase of four, so the chance of winning Lotto in NZ is almost literally 1 in a million. I've lost power due to pther things on the same fuse twice in less than a thousand gigs (and once because some electrical work was being done on the air-con in a hotel and the sparky pulled the wrong fuse!). 1:500 versus 1:1000000 - your call.

Al,

I appreciate your concerns, but it will only take a matter of seconds to get out & plug in my second 4 way block, so I think I'll carry on as I am for now.

Adam_F
09-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Some of the size rigs I have put out in the last few weeks I could of run of "AA batteries" LoL
Normally its 1 six gang for sound, and 2 four gang for lighting (non DMX off a switch pack & DMX off the other four gang).

PropellerHeadCase
09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Al,

I appreciate your concerns, but it will only take a matter of seconds to get out & plug in my second 4 way block, so I think I'll carry on as I am for now.

All good, mate :D

Corabar Steve
09-07-2007, 07:47 AM
I think the poriginal idea of having separate sockets was that so you didn't get any noises through the system while turning lights on and off, but these days switch panels and the like are fairly well surpressed anyway, so you wouldn't get that problem.
The original idea was too :sj:

You still can get pops depending on the venue's power supply. All of our DJs use separate power sources for lights & sound, so far this has alleviated the problem even in venues where the pops used to occur. (either that or they've sorted their electrics)

DaveyG1980
24-10-2007, 05:14 PM
say for instance you only had one plug in the hall of party.....

so you put extension lead in with 4 extra sockets, then you add 2/3 6 way extensions to the extension lead so you have about 12/18 plugs running through. would that be ok to do that?

hope this makes sence.

pagan_flame
24-10-2007, 05:52 PM
say for instance you only had one plug in the hall of party.....

so you put extension lead in with 4 extra sockets, then you add 2/3 6 way extensions to the extension lead so you have about 12/18 plugs running through. would that be ok to do that?If you went through from wall to all of my gear - rack effects, amps, lights, decks, computer etc - yes exactly that. Never have I been presented with a bank of 12 surge protected sockets with circuit breakers when arriving to set up...

However: If at all possible I plug the lights and sound into separate sockets, ALWAYS via my own circuit breakers, and the majority of my extensions are surge protected.

As has been said - as long as the power doesn't overload the socket it should be OK.

I also carry a mains tester plug for marquee / village hall gigs... last year I found a genny that had been connected up with live and neutral reversed.

"Must be alright, the lights (string of bulbs) are working" they said... :rolleyes:

Circuit breakers under a tenner from Tescos, mains tester plugs around a fiver (e.g. --> HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plug-In-Mains-Power-Socket-Wiring-Tester-240v-AC_W0QQitemZ220163363817QQihZ012QQcategoryZ58277QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) <--)

spin mobile disco
24-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I use 1 plug only when I have to and have not had any problems with it .But that only happens when I have no choice I prefer to run out 3 mains extensions. 1 for sound one for lights and when using special effects etc they have there own socket. This is mainly due to the fact that smoke machines , haze machines and for some reason my bubble machine seem to like to make loud pops through my playout system when used on same circuit. I do wish manafacturers would fit suppresion as standard but I guess I can go on dreaming.

DaveyG1980
24-10-2007, 07:07 PM
cheers for repys guys, just get bit worried sometimes when iv had to run everything from 1 mains socket with extension lead then connect other extensiions to it.

TONYTIGER
24-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I also run three.

* 1 for sound, 6 gang (same as shaun)

* 2 for lights.

on the 2 lighting leads I run:

4 x 250w halogen moving heads
4 x 250w halogen scanners (acme winner/intimidator II's)
2 x 250w Discharge scanners (Shiva 250r)
2 x 250w Datamoons
4 x LED Par56 cans
1 x 900w hazer
(mirror ball motors)
DMX Lighting controller
Lighting Laptop

and sometimes if I need them 6 x spinmasters.

Sound, between 2.4kW - 6kW, need 1 extra cable if full 6kW.

Just a word on this subject it is a misconception to think a 250w discharge lamp only draws 250w a poke in the eye if any body comes up with the right answer i very much doubt it. As for the ongoing discussion we all run very different size shows with different power requirements so i see little point in this debate i am sure your all know your shows power requirements inside out. Talking of power the job i did pics in gallery we had to use a 220kva generator now thats serious power leads.

Corabar Steve
24-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Just a word on this subject it is a misconception to think a 250w discharge lamp only draws 250w a poke in the eye if any body comes up with the right answer i very much doubt it. As for the ongoing discussion we all run very different size shows with different power requirements so i see little point in this debate i am sure your all know your shows power requirements inside out. Talking of power the job i did pics in gallery we had to use a 220kva generator now thats serious power leads.
That's a touch condescending isn't it?

Vectis
24-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Let's not go rushing in with the right answer now folks :rolleyes: ;)

flatliners
24-10-2007, 11:03 PM
i always put sound and lighting on different sockets because if you trip the system then its easy to find out if it was the lights or the sound

rob1963
24-10-2007, 11:14 PM
just get bit worried sometimes when iv had to run everything from 1 mains socket with extension lead then connect other extensiions to it.

It doesn't matter how many extensions you run off the same socket, as long as they don't draw more than 3 kW in total.

DJWilson
26-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I use extension lead with a 6-socket for sound and two extension wheels for lighting.

Corabar Entertainment
26-10-2007, 05:10 PM
By pure chance, I was reading one of the HSE Guides last night (entitled "Electrical Safety for Entertainers") and the following is an extract:-
If possible you should take the electrical supply for lighting from sockets which are separate from those used for audio equipment. This avoids problems that may occur with RCDs on lighting circuits. The audio equipment needs reliable RCD protectionHas anyone had any problems using an RCD for lighting, and what are the problems?

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-10-2007, 05:35 PM
How can you be reading something like that by 'pure chance' Ang?:p

I use a separate feed if possible but always use RCDs on sound and light and have never had any problems.

Corabar Entertainment
26-10-2007, 05:55 PM
How can you be reading something like that by 'pure chance' Ang?:p :lol: I didn't mean that I was reading the booklet by chance.... just that it was by chance that it contained that paragraph which was directly related to a current thread on here :p

Larry B Entertainment
26-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Im in the 2 extension catagory.

One for sound and one for LX. I would be well under the loading limit for one socket but i have always used 2 if possible just to be on the safe side. Plus my fog machine (not smoke :D) has to be on a separate supply away from the sound other wise it pops and crackles through the speakers now and again when activated.

nigelwright7557
27-10-2007, 11:36 PM
It doesnt matter so long as you dont overload an extension lead.

I would tend to keep lights and sound system seperate tho.

pulsemobiledisco
27-10-2007, 11:56 PM
I've just added two icolour 4's to the rig and tripped the power supply last night and I run lights from one socket and sound from another.

I now need to split the light show to two sockets. Will run the two icolours which have 4x 500W bulbs in each from one and my 5 250W moonflowers from the other. It's a very bright show with them all going!!!