PDA

View Full Version : Inland revenue to take money direct from your bank

DK Karaoke
26-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

Just heard that if you owe money to the IR, and are not paying, then they are trying to change the law, whereby they can go directly to your bank and take the money you owe.

So I suppose we all need to make sure we pay up on time.:eek:

Here's a link to the BBC news about it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6272082.stm

Dragonfly
26-07-2007, 08:07 PM
they do this abroad already my mum recently fell foul of it , when the authorities forgot to tell her about certain things she had to pay ......... 3k just went.

we're all going to need bigger boxes :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Danno13
26-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah.. they already do this in the US. HMRC seem to have more powers than the police!

BeerFunk
26-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't have a problem with that, it is a last resort, and doesn't apply to people like me and you - I'm sure most of us have met the sort of person they have to chase after, at some point.

CRAZY K
26-07-2007, 08:53 PM
they do this abroad already my mum recently fell foul of it , when the authorities forgot to tell her about certain things she had to pay ......... 3k just went.

we're all going to need bigger boxes :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

3 GRAND!!!!!!!!!!!

She obviously made a mistake in giving them her bank details:eek:

CRAZY K

colint
26-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Think there's going to be lots of people with fat mattresses!

I don't really do banks (apart from paying bills) I find it much easier to give it all to the CSA so my ex-wife can have 3 holidays each year!

thats why I just bought a nice solid chubb safe!!!! ;)

Dragonfly
26-07-2007, 09:08 PM
3 GRAND!!!!!!!!!!!

She obviously made a mistake in giving them her bank details:eek:

CRAZY K

indeed she looked into all the taxes she would have to pay living and working over there but there was one that she didn't know about and wasnt told about that non natives pay or something??????? she moved over in april 06 and they let her know about it in june 07 .

rob1963
26-07-2007, 11:44 PM
If money you owe to the inland revenue will be taken directly from your bank account, does this mean that the second they owe YOU something they will be paying it directly INTO your bank account?

:shrug:

BeerFunk
27-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I think there is a misunderstanding here... they will only take this course of action as a last resort (whereas before, they would start court proceedings).

Really nothing to worry about! :)

Impactdisco
27-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't worry, just had my debit card cloned in a garage, and they took my money too!