PDA

View Full Version : speaker inputs

Key2
26-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I am about to set up my speakers for the first time. The inputs are missing from the cabinets, as the previous owner used them on another project. Can I use speakons and what sort (2 pole or 4 pole). I have a pair of old'ish cabs with 200w 8ohm RCL 15" mid/bass drivers plus a horn and tweeter. I may want to add a second pair of 8 ohm speakers at a later date, so will need to interconnect. The holes in the back of the cabs are round, so I'm guessing that they originally had sprung-loaded clamp-type inputs. What do I need to buy? (apart from the obvious 'better speakers etc':rolleyes: )

TIA

John

Excalibur
26-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I am about to set up my speakers for the first time. The inputs are missing from the cabinets, as the previous owner used them on another project. Can I use speakons and what sort (2 pole or 4 pole). I have a pair of old'ish cabs with 200w 8ohm RCL 15" mid/bass drivers plus a horn and tweeter. I may want to add a second pair of 8 ohm speakers at a later date, so will need to interconnect. The holes in the back of the cabs are round, so I'm guessing that they originally had sprung-loaded clamp-type inputs. What do I need to buy? (apart from the obvious 'better speakers etc':rolleyes: )

TIA

John

Visit Maplins. All you need will be there, Speakon now appears to be industry standard, so this would be my suggestion. Fit two, in parallel, have soldering iron, will join up.

Corabar Steve
27-07-2007, 12:24 AM
On vaguely the same subject....

What's the deal with 2 & 4 pole speakons?

spin mobile disco
27-07-2007, 12:44 AM
you only need 2 pole speakons for your cabs. Maplin sell neutrik connectors that are considered to be the industry standard.
It may have had either 6.3mm jacks sockets or bannana connectors previosly. Not a problem thought just enlarge the hole.

I think 4 pole speaker leads were designed with the ability to run out 1 lead to the speaker and then pass another lead to next in line. This meant you dont have to run in parallel but only have to put one cable out.
Only ever seen it done like that once in a night club, but it was efficient. They were using quad channel amps and only has to plug in the one cable per side and still have full control of each speaker independantly

Excalibur
27-07-2007, 07:30 AM

I'm by no means up on this, but if you look on the back of many Peavey speakers, it tells you which pins are wired for each speaker. It may give you options for bi-amping. Or just confuse you, which in my case is more likely!:confused:

Vectis
27-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Just use the 1+ and 1- pins on a 4-pole plug/socket for a standard connection.

Tony Scott
27-07-2007, 09:31 AM

As suggested the four pole speakon can be used for passing through a cabinet to another via a four core cable without the need for running 2 seperate cables.

A more common use is for bi-amping;

*poles 1+ & 1- go to the bass driver.

*poles 2+ & 2- go to the horn.

Only need to run one four core cable.

I have wired an extra speakon socket on all 4 of my mid/tops when used they by-pass the passive x-overs and run direct to the drivers/horns so can be bi-amped.

When I use the standard sockets they are run through the x-overs and then run full range. :)

Excalibur
27-07-2007, 10:20 AM
As suggested the four pole speakon can be used for passing through a cabinet to another via a four core cable without the need for running 2 seperate cables.

A more common use is for bi-amping;

*poles 1+ & 1- go to the bass driver.

*poles 2+ & 2- go to the horn.

Only need to run one four core cable.

I have wired an extra speakon socket on all 4 of my mid/tops when used they by-pass the passive x-overs and run direct to the drivers/horns so can be bi-amped.

When I use the standard sockets they are run through the x-overs and then run full range. :)

Exactly what I said! ( Except you actually explained it so that I could understand! :thumbsup: )