PDA

View Full Version : Directory submission services

rob1963
03-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I've just been looking at some of those directory submission services, where they submit a link to your website to loads of different online directories (for about 5p - 10p per listing) with a view to improving your google page rank.

Has anyone used these services?

If so, how successful were they in improving your google page rank?

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I've just been looking at some of those directory submission services, where they submit a link to your website to loads of different online directories (for about 5p - 10p per listing) with a view to improving your google page rank.

Has anyone used these services?

If so, how successful were they in improving your google page rank?

I have a fairly good ranking with Google anyway, but I thought it was worth £40 to submit to 500 directories. It should get lots of back links to your site and improve your PR too.

Richie advised me to do it, and to be honest for £40, it's not much of a gamble.

rob1963
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks Darren...looks like a plan, then.

PropellerHeadCase
03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Just make sure you don't end up on link-farms (as they're frowned upon) and make sure you don't get listed on so many that it might be considered link-spamming.

Marc J
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
:agree:

Inbound links are all well and good, but it's relevant inbound links that will really improve your SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) positioning. Moreso if they are reciprocal (i.e. you link to them and vice-versa).

Links from unrelated sites might even do more harm than good as it might just be considered spamming or linkfarm-esque...

Just my opinions....no-one knows the intricate workings of exactly how Google does its thing...and anyone claiming to is a liar.

colinm345
03-08-2007, 08:35 PM
This is good and FREE

http://www.websiteceo.com/

Ricesnaps
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
The one Richie recomends - there's a banner to it on here - is fantastic.

Used it for both our sites and have seen really really good results. Highly recomended

PropellerHeadCase
03-08-2007, 10:49 PM
:agree:

Inbound links are all well and good, but it's relevant inbound links that will really improve your SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) positioning. Moreso if they are reciprocal (i.e. you link to them and vice-versa).

Links from unrelated sites might even do more harm than good as it might just be considered spamming or linkfarm-esque...

Just my opinions....no-one knows the intricate workings of exactly how Google does its thing...and anyone claiming to is a liar.

I thought relevant inbound trumped reciprocal?

Marc J
04-08-2007, 05:46 AM
I thought relevant inbound trumped reciprocal?

Who knows....probably! Relevant reciprocal is better still though? :confused:

EDIT: Found this, which I would pretty much agree with: http://www.viz.co.nz/outbound-links.htm

CRAZY K
04-08-2007, 09:23 AM
The one Richie recomends - there's a banner to it on here - is fantastic.

Used it for both our sites and have seen really really good results. Highly recomended

Morning Matt, just recovering from a Retro Music Wedding---:confused:

Can you prove conclusively that you have received more worthwhile enquiries that might result in a booking as a result?

Im not talking time wasters here--get plenty of those free of charge already from google, yahoo etc. various Wedding Sites etc.

Cheers

Alan
CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
04-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Can you prove conclusively that you have received more worthwhile enquiries that might result in a booking as a result?

Im not talking time wasters here--get plenty of those free of charge already from google, yahoo etc. various Wedding Sites etc.

Cheers

Alan
CRAZY K

No, because that's NOT what it's about. I get almost no traffic from the site that I paid the company to link me too. However, without needing any of my previous "dirty tricks", I am now page one on Google for nearly all my required search phrases. Try DJ suffolk, or DJ Norfolk, maybe even marquee DJ and see what happens

CRAZY K
04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
No, because that's NOT what it's about. I get almost no traffic from the site that I paid the company to link me too. However, without needing any of my previous "dirty tricks", I am now page one on Google for nearly all my required search phrases. Try DJ suffolk, or DJ Norfolk, maybe even marquee DJ and see what happens

Me too-so I wont be bothering then :D

Its funny--a couple of years ago all I got was calls from people promising to get me on page one of google and yahoo.

I used to say--so you havent tried looking for my site then?

errr NO.

Well if you bothered you would see we are there already---CLUNK-- AS PHONE GOES DOWN.

cheers

CRAZY K

ian8limelight
04-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but is it sugested that the following link is recommended or do you have any others:-

http://www.directorymaximizer.com/

Marc J
04-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Cheers

Alan
CRAZY K

This might be hard to prove (or disprove), as the benefits (if any) gained would be a higher SERPs placemement (or, to simplify, Google PageRank) due to more inbound or reciprocal links. As such the referrer would still be Google, not necessarily the "directory listing" site which you have been added to.

Try DJ suffolk, or DJ Norfolk, maybe even marquee DJ and see what happens

The DJ Suffolk and DJ Norfolk results could probably be attributed more to the page title and content of your index page more than the inbound links.

However, it's fairly obvious that your current #1 result for "marquee dj" is down to inbound links, as the word "marquee" appears nowhere in your title, content or any meta tags. As further proof, just look at Google's cached version of your index (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:E9ncjdUm9p8J:www.revelationroadshow .co.uk/+marquee+dj&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk) and you'll see the words "These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: marquee dj".

A little further digging (using this method (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=link%3A+www.revelationroadshow.co.uk%2F+marquee&btnG=Search&meta=)) reveals that there are quite a few inbound links containing "marquee", although I'm not sure which of these you paid for and which you've added to yourself?

EDIT: Oops, try reading page 2 Marc!

Ricesnaps
04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Me too-so I wont be bothering then :D

Its funny--a couple of years ago all I got was calls from people promising to get me on page one of google and yahoo.

I used to say--so you havent tried looking for my site then?

errr NO.

Well if you bothered you would see we are there already---CLUNK-- AS PHONE GOES DOWN.

cheers

CRAZY K

Alan,

You already know how you're getting that ranking don't you. Remember what happened to me????

Ricesnaps
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but is it sugested that the following link is recommended or do you have any others:-

Spot on, there the guys I use - highly recomended!

Marc J
04-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Alan,

You already know how you're getting that ranking don't you. Remember what happened to me????

What happened to you?

EDIT: Just had a look, and I'm guessing it's maybe something to do with the text at the bottom of this page (http://web.archive.org/web/20050308141335/http://www.revelationroadshow.co.uk/) :eek:

Naughty naughty!

Ricesnaps
04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
What happened to you?

EDIT: Just had a look, and I'm guessing it's maybe something to do with the text at the bottom of this page (http://web.archive.org/web/20050308141335/http://www.revelationroadshow.co.uk/) :eek:

Naughty naughty!

How the hell did you find that?

How not to design a web site!

Still it's a warning to others - I was dropped from Google because of that!

CRAZY K
04-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Alan,

Either Google/Yahoo have changed their system or they like me:D

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

CRAZY K
04-08-2007, 12:55 PM

In my defence---not that I need it---I dont do that--NEVER WORKED OUT HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Marc J
04-08-2007, 12:57 PM

www.archive.org - keeps archived copies of the whole internet for all to see :D

There are ways to stop it though - try to get an archived copy of Shaun's site, for example ;)

Jiggles
04-08-2007, 01:12 PM
There are ways to stop it though - try to get an archived copy of Shaun's site, for example ;)

How? :D

Danno13
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd imagine it'd be adding a line in your "robots.txt" file to stop the archive bot.

User-agent: archive.org.bot
Disallow: /

Jiggles
04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I'd imagine it'd be adding a line in your "robots.txt" file to stop the archive bot.

Just found that out jsut now! :D:D COH Marc losts of disallows for Shaun!

Marc J
04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Just found that out jsut now! :D:D COH Marc losts of disallows for Shaun!

Hehe, it's a fairly standard robots.txt file that I use, disallows a whole load of bad bots and image grabbers which do nothing but waste your bandwidth :D

Feel free to use it yourself :)

Jiggles
04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Hehe, it's a fairly standard robots.txt file that I use, disallows a whole load of bad bots and image grabbers which do nothing but waste your bandwidth :D

Feel free to use it yourself :)

Thanks will do!

rob1963
04-08-2007, 01:42 PM
www.archive.org - keeps archived copies of the whole internet for all to see :D

Glad to see the archives don't work for MY site either...so nobody can see that horrible white text on a blue background!

Nice one, Marc!

:p

Marc J
04-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Note that there are some bad bots which will actually read your robots.txt file, see what folders you don't want bots crawling, and then purposely go straight there - or simply ignore your robots.txt file altogether and crawl your whole site.

There are ways to stop these, too - just Google for "bot trap", there are quite a few methods.

Danno13
26-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Sorry to drag up an old topic.. but has anyone else used this one?

And if so, have they found a massive increase in the amount of spam they get?

I suppose its just a by product of having your email address out on more sites...more chance of it being harvested by spammers!