PDA

View Full Version : New Ideas

Ricesnaps
06-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Rough, in fact VERY ROUGH draft concept.

Still working on re-designs for the web site and keep changing my mind.

Currently have this kinda idea - ignore the image quality, I'll work on that!

http://www.revelationroadshow.co.uk/Trial.html

The idea is that there are three dedicated sections to my site accesses through each picture?

Naff or OK?

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I like the idea and the picture, but it sounds silly. Revelation Roadshow lighting hire?

I really think you need to change the name.

lazerdjs
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
hmm very similar to someone elses website on here :rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Who?

lazerdjs
06-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Who?

www.lazerdjs.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm sure a lot of other people have similar designs too.

rob1963
06-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm sure a lot of other people have similar designs too.

I don't! :p :D

PropellerHeadCase
07-08-2007, 02:12 AM
hmm very similar to someone elses website on here :rolleyes:

Yeah, a triptych (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych) is a brand new invention :rolleyes:

You can't expect no-one to offer the same services - so that's the similarity...

Photos Vs stylized drawings? Miles different.

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 05:42 AM
I like the idea and the picture, but it sounds silly. Revelation Roadshow lighting hire?

I really think you need to change the name.

I do hear what you're saying, but for now it'll have to stay.

Good to hear I'm on the right path with the look though.

Marc J
07-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Looks OK, I'd keep each text the same colour (white?) and give it a stroke of say 2px (black?), that way you won't get a contrast problem against either a lighter or darker picture and stay consistent.

I'm not sure that splitting your site into 3 dedicated sections is the best way forward, though....

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Looks OK, I'd keep each text the same colour (white?) and give it a stroke of say 2px (black?), that way you won't get a contrast problem against either a lighter or darker picture and stay consistent.

I'm not sure that splitting your site into 3 dedicated sections is the best way forward, though....

I haven't really given the tex much thought at all yet - just there as example for now. will certainly take your comments on board.

What are your concerns about splitting the site up like this? I was certainly planning on having links back to each section within each sections as well to help it flow - for example, link the lighting hire to the DJ to promote architectural lighting, linking the sound to the lighting to promote sound and lighting packages and so on. Just concerned that lumping it all together waters down the individual sections?

Any thought apreciated though - by the way, are the images OK and do I really need sharper better quality, or does the rustic look work?

Marc J
07-08-2007, 07:56 AM
What are your concerns about splitting the site up like this? I was certainly planning on having links back to each section within each sections as well to help it flow - for example, link the lighting hire to the DJ to promote architectural lighting, linking the sound to the lighting to promote sound and lighting packages and so on. Just concerned that lumping it all together waters down the individual sections?

That's exactly my point, the 3 sections aren't exactly poles apart, and you'll be linking between them anyway. Together (and this is just my opinion) shows a more united front, i.e. "we do everything" rather than "we do this, this and this". Putting all your services together on one flyer was fine, so why split it up on your site? Also, you're probably creating more work for yourself in splitting it up.

Any thought apreciated though - by the way, are the images OK and do I really need sharper better quality, or does the rustic look work?

69Kb is a bit large for one image, and the quality is a little on the low side I think. Why not raise the quality a little, and split it into 3 images in a table? Even if each image is 30Kb, they'll be better quality and although 90Kb overall, at least they'll be loading one at a time. Splitting them will also make it easier to link from each one (as you won't need an image map).

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 08:01 AM
That's exactly my point, the 3 sections aren't exactly poles apart, and you'll be linking between them anyway. Together (and this is just my opinion) shows a more united front, i.e. "we do everything" rather than "we do this, this and this". Putting all your services together on one flyer was fine, so why split it up on your site? Also, you're probably creating more work for yourself in splitting it up.

69Kb is a bit large for one image, and the quality is a little on the low side I think. Why not raise the quality a little, and split it into 3 images in a table? Even if each image is 30Kb, they'll be better quality and although 90Kb overall, at least they'll be loading one at a time. Splitting them will also make it easier to link from each one (as you won't need an image map).

Well can't you tell I'm not an expert! LOL!!!

Let's be honest here, there's things I can't do, but I am happy to keep going on my own for now! My main problem is that I don't seem able to get the logo with it's transparent background on using my web design software and still have a transparent background! That's why I had a go like I did!

I do see where you're coming from, but I think I'll keep going with the thoughts in my head and see what happens. After all, if it doesn't work I can always fall back to my exisiting site can't I.

CRAZY K
07-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Well can't you tell I'm not an expert! LOL!!!

Let's be honest here, there's things I can't do, but I am happy to keep going on my own for now! My main problem is that I don't seem able to get the logo with it's transparent background on using my web design software and still have a transparent background! That's why I had a go like I did!

I do see where you're coming from, but I think I'll keep going with the thoughts in my head and see what happens. After all, if it doesn't work I can always fall back to my exisiting site can't I.

Heres the boring bit---does your Insurance for PLI cover all these "activities"
including "hiring out equipment" is this what a Musicians Union Policy is expected to cover:D

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Heres the boring bit---does your Insurance for PLI cover all these "activities"
including "hiring out equipment" is this what a Musicians Union Policy is expected to cover:D

CRAZY K

Good point. But currently I'm only planning to offer serviced hire and I know that my PLI covers me for the gear I am using. Might look into extra insurance to cover dry hire in case that becomes popular

rob1963
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I agree with Darren about the need for a business to change it's name when new services are offered, and the existing name is no longer appropriate.

When I started, I just did mobile discos, so my business name was Rob James Discotheques. When I started doing quiz nights as well, the name had to change, as it no longer reflected what I did, so I became Rob James Entertainment. Common sense, really!

It seems there are occasions when a company decides to change it's name just for the sake of it...even though they are still providing exactly the same service or product as before. They spend the time & money to make the change, and all they seem to gain is a bit of short-term publicity. Examples are Oil of Ulay becoming Oil of Olay, The National Lottery becoming Lotto, Bid-Up TV becoming Bid TV & Jiff becoming Ciff.

On the other hand, you also get the opposite situation, where a company SHOULD change it's name due to the addition of new services - but for some reason doesn't.

If a business is called XYZ Discos or XYZ Roadshow, I'd expect them to offer discos and nothing else, therefore they could easily lose work with some of their additional services, as potential customers might pass them by - having seen their name & assumed they didn't offer the service they were looking for...without looking further into it.

:)

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't actually dissagree with any of the "change the name" comments at all - perfectly good idea. However, these are small careful steps for me and I already have a nice new logo and 2000 fliers with it on, so for the moment, I'm going to stick with what I've got and see what happens. If it's a great success, well maybe I'll be having yet another chat with Shaun!

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jiff became Ciff because there are people from certain countries who can't pronounce 'J', so I'm not sure that example really stands up!

Marc J
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
"Oil of Ulay" was always "Oil of Olay" everywhere except the UK, apparently.

Same with Snickers and Marathon.

Most brand changes like these are to unify the brand wordlwide, with the added bonus that the same packaging can be used too :)

And is Sprite the same as 7-up? I always thought so, and that the 7-up you got here was the same as the Sprite you got everywhere else...then Sprite turned up on these shores....which just confused me as they still sell 7-up here, too :confused:

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jiff became Ciff because there are people from certain countries who can't pronounce 'J', so I'm not sure that example really stands up!

Coming from the manufacturing industry, it is indeed a cost saving exercise. Why have two names and brands for the same thing in different countries? the Jiff / Ciff thing is a prime example. I understand that we were the only country calling it Jiff. So what a waste of resourse to create everything differently for the UK

Vectis
07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Coming from the manufacturing industry, it is indeed a cost saving exercise. Why have two names and brands for the same thing in different countries? the Jiff / Ciff thing is a prime example. I understand that we were the only country calling it Jiff. So what a waste of resourse to create everything differently for the UK

Not necessarily......

I work a few days a week for the manufacturer of Cif/Jif. They went through a brand harmonisation process a few years back to reduce 1,400 brands to 400. That's why a lot of products seemingly disappeared from the shelves, whilst others (eg. Dove) expanded from being a bar of soap to an entire line of cosmetic products.

Decisions were taken on an individual case basis. Jif became Cif to fall in with the rest of the world. Sure is still Rexona everywhere but the UK. Lynx is Axe everywhere but UK and Ireland.

It's whatever made the most sense on a brand by brand basis.

Marc J
07-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Language comes into it as well, of course (the Jiff / Ciff thing was apparently down to the spanish).

I wouldn't use a deodarant called Axe. An axe is a stick with some sharp metal at the end.

And Rexona sounds like a suppository :)

PropellerHeadCase
07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Still called Jif in New Zealand

Still called Lynx in New Zealand

Was called Oil of Ulan AND Oil of Olay, now just Oil of Olay.

Marc, Sprite and 7-Up don't even taste the same.

Speaking of Spanish-speaking people... why is it still called a Pajero? :eek:

Marc J
07-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Marc, Sprite and 7-Up don't even taste the same.

They don't? I was sure they're the same!

Speaking of Spanish-speaking people... why is it still called a Pajero? :eek:

It's not, it's a Shogun :p

EDIT: Just looked that up, lol :)

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 11:14 AM
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Marc J
07-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Sorry!

Rice, send me your original images and I'll split them up for you if you like.

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Sorry!

Rice, send me your original images and I'll split them up for you if you like.

That's cery kind of you - will probably have to wait until I get home. Have decided to purchase a couple of stock images to replace the ones I have already shown. Not completely sure which mirror ball one to go with, so I might paste the choices up!

I'm sure you already know this, but the plan was to cut a section out of each picture I am using to make the three sections I want - does that make sense?

Marc J
07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
No probs, just send me an email when you've decided.

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 11:30 AM
OK then,

Any favourites out of these (remember I want to cut out a section, not use the whole image)

Marc J
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I prefer the bue or yellow, probably more towards the yellow - for some reason don't like the red one.

rob1963
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM

...which is why I also gave several other examples! :p

Tonsk
07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with Marc J

The blue or yellow/green.

I think if you are only going to use a little of it possibly the first one (blue/purple) as it is bigger and looks better as a sample.

The green/yellow one would be good to show more of what the effect does...

Don't like the red one at all.....

CRAZY K
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Good point. But currently I'm only planning to offer serviced hire and I know that my PLI covers me for the gear I am using. Might look into extra insurance to cover dry hire in case that becomes popular

Didnt you say you hired your PA to a hotel recently AND LEFT IT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO USE?

Thats dry hire:eek:

Or maybe im wrong?

regards

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Didnt you say you hired your PA to a hotel recently AND LEFT IT THERE FOR PEOPLE TO USE?

Thats dry hire:eek:

Or maybe im wrong?

regards

CRAZY K

You're wrong!

I HAVE had an enquiry to provide PA for a lunch do and a private club, but I have only quoted that as a serviced PA (sort of).

I'm guessing I do need to look into the legality of leaving stuff without me, but I'm not offering complete dry hire at all right now (which I believe is when you offer the equipment for hire, but don't set up or operate?)

groovy-nights
07-08-2007, 05:07 PM
You will find it hard to get insurance for dry hires.It is normally down to the person who is hiring it from you to be insured which is why you take a deposit amount when you process the hire.
From what i can see you are trying to run a mobile disco company and a sound and light hire company aswell as a full time job.Most hotels will not be intersted as they want someone who can be there sometimes at short notice.Also the equiment you list is that everything you have or do you have back up gear also.
Not trying to put you down but hiring needs alot of thought.Most places will want to hire named gear ie rcf martin lighting robe jbl etc.As this will work alongside what they all ready have.

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
You will find it hard to get insurance for dry hires.It is normally down to the person who is hiring it from you to be insured which is why you take a deposit amount when you process the hire.
From what i can see you are trying to run a mobile disco company and a sound and light hire company aswell as a full time job.Most hotels will not be intersted as they want someone who can be there sometimes at short notice.Also the equiment you list is that everything you have or do you have back up gear also.
Not trying to put you down but hiring needs alot of thought.Most places will want to hire named gear ie rcf martin lighting robe jbl etc.As this will work alongside what they all ready have.

Please don't get me wrong, I AM very greatful for the comments and advice. However I am NOT currently interested in big hotel contracts and last minute call outs. I simply want to explore the possibility of making my gear work a little when it's not in use. I am already doing that - comedy club started using me last Sunday and have had nothing but huge praise for what I provided. This isn't intended to be an alternative to the big boys by any means. What it IS meant to be is a way for local groups to get hold of PA and lighting at a reasonable rate for local events. I'm hoping that small local bands might be interested in some rock lighting, maybe the local drama group want a PA for there next production. I have a private members club locally who have already asked if I can provide a small single mic PA for a lunch in September.

I think you're trying to read to much into this for the moment.

If it goes well, who knows. but this is just small beginings right now

CRAZY K
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
You're wrong!

I HAVE had an enquiry to provide PA for a lunch do and a private club, but I have only quoted that as a serviced PA (sort of).

I'm guessing I do need to look into the legality of leaving stuff without me, but I'm not offering complete dry hire at all right now (which I believe is when you offer the equipment for hire, but don't set up or operate?)

OK WELL WERE BOTH WRONG!

If you SUPPLY the PA, either setting up or just leaving it--- but dont actually operate it and be there IN PERSON OR LEAVE AN EMPLOYEE to mind it and operate it the Insurance people certainly wont pay up unless you are described as a HIRE CONTRACTOR-- not a PA ENGINEER OR MUSICIAN---

TRUST ME

I used to be in the business, BTW we are talking PLI cover here---not damage to the equipment--thats a separate cover and another can of worms!

regards
Alan

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
OK WELL WERE BOTH WRONG!

If you SUPPLY the PA, either setting up or just leaving it--- but dont actually operate it and be there IN PERSON OR LEAVE AN EMPLOYEE to mind it and operate it the Insurance people certainly wont pay up unless you are described as a HIRE CONTRACTOR-- not a PA ENGINEER OR MUSICIAN---

TRUST ME

I used to be in the business, BTW we are talking PLI cover here---not damage to the equipment--thats a separate cover and another can of worms!

regards
Alan

CRAZY K

Surely there's some legal contract stuff that would make the hirer responsible?

CRAZY K
07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Surely there's some legal contract stuff that would make the hirer responsible?

Nope-theres something called the Unfair Contract Terms Act and you cant contract out of negligence---so if you said im supplying the equipment and irrespective of its condition whatever happens im not liable---you are

EVEN A WRITTEN CONTRACT LIKE THAT wouldnt stand up in a legal case--you would have to pay if there was an accident and you had been negligent.

I have a TOTAL disclaimer for all liability on my Contract--its put there to to stop some of the try it on merchants---but I know if it ever went to court it wouldnt apply if it I had been at fault.

Back to the drawing board:eek:

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
OK WELL WERE BOTH WRONG!

TRUST ME

regards
Alan

CRAZY K

Not sure about that Al. I'm not descibed as anything and have cover for doing what you are describing.

CRAZY K
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Not sure about that Al. I'm not descibed as anything and have cover for doing what you are describing.

MAYBE ASK THE OLD TRICK QUESTION DAZ---

If I was THINKING of hiring out equipment without an operator would I be covered by my PLI / Accidental Damage cover:D :D :D

Worth a phone call---be careful--I asked this question about I Pod Discos and I KNOW I was given the wrong answer---if the answer is YES---get it in writing and put it with your Policy.:D :D :D

regards

Alan
CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
MAYBE ASK THE OLD TRICK QUESTION DAZ---

If I was THINKING of hiring out equipment without an operator would I be covered by my PLI / Accidental Damage cover:D :D :D

Worth a phone call---be careful--I asked this question about I Pod Discos and I KNOW I was given the wrong answer---if the answer is YES---get it in writing and put it with your Policy.:D :D :D

It is. :)