PDA

View Full Version : CRB checks

Key2
12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi All

I tried doing a search but I couldn't find the threads that I was looking for, although I'm sure this question has 'done the rounds'.
I know I can't CRB check myself, according to the CRB website. I'm a driving instructor and eventually the DSA is going to crb check driving instructors; so I can ask for a copy of my file, but until then, what do I do?
Do YOU get asked for crb certificates when being booked for kids parties?
I am looking to really get my mobile disco business going by 1st September and saturday afternoon childrens party/discos is an area that I will aim at (in addition to birthdays and weddings). Just wondered about the crb thing.

John:)

TonyB
12-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi All

I tried doing a search but I couldn't find the threads that I was looking for, although I'm sure this question has 'done the rounds'.
I know I can't CRB check myself, according to the CRB website. I'm a driving instructor and eventually the DSA is going to crb check driving instructors; so I can ask for a copy of my file, but until then, what do I do?
Do YOU get asked for crb certificates when being booked for kids parties?
I am looking to really get my mobile disco business going by 1st September and saturday afternoon childrens party/discos is an area that I will aim at (in addition to birthdays and weddings). Just wondered about the crb thing.

It very much depends on who you are working for. A CRB check obtained from one organisation may not be valid for another organisation.

When you are CRB checked, there is a process where your identity is checked but there is no guarantee that the organisation that has done the CRB check has done it properly so another organisation may well want to do their own check. Also there are certain things that are not declared on the certificate such as pending investigations, these will be sent by separate letter to the organisation doing the check and will not be disclosed to any other third party so unless someone does the check themselves, they won't know about it.

Also the certificate is a bit like an MOT and is only really valid on the day it is issued so if the check is a couple of months old, it isn't really worth much.

If you are working with individuals and not organisation then any CRB certificate that you have from another organisation probably the best you can offer. Some organisations will do a CRB check for you under an umbrella arrangement. The local council might be able to help or some charities will do it (local one to me is called SAVO) but they will charge a fee.

Key2
12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
It very much depends on who you are working for. A CRB check obtained from one organisation may not be valid for another organisation.

Thanks Tony. Do you (or the others) get asked about crb checks from mums and dads booking parties for their kids? I just wondered how to handle that situation. People (clients) hear about stuff like crb checks, but don't understand them, then ask questions when booking. Just wondered.

John

TonyB
12-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Youngest I do are 14 year olds and I have never been asked but I do have an enhanced CRB check through the Scout Association due to work I do for them.

When working with children, there are some golden rules to follow, make it clear at the outset that you must never be left in the room on your own with the children, there must always be another responsible adult person present. Children can say things to get you into trouble even if you didn't do anything and as far as the law is concerned where children are involved, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Also never touch them. The guidance is that you shouldn't touch them below the shoulders, but I try to avoid touching them at all. In case of an emergency such as an accident, try to make sure that there is another adult person with you if you have to administer any first aid. Its not always possible and sometimes you have to make a judgement call. If its a serious injury, you can't always wait for help to arrive before doing something.

Key2
12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Youngest I do are 14 year olds and I have never been asked but I do have an enhanced CRB check through the Scout Association due to work I do for them.

Thanks Tony. Just trying to 'be prepared':D

DMX Will
12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I think you can go to the police station and request a check? It could just be for voluntary work, but someone has definitly said that to me at one point or another.

I'm CRB'd to work in a school, so I'd like to think that was good enough for most organisations (well at least for quoting it for disco use!)

Tom
13-08-2007, 06:03 PM
would you need the crb check if working with anyone under the age of 18? i usually do a few school disco's but havent been asked for one yet. Do these crb checks cost at all???

Skins
13-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Ive just had my CRB done through work and I think it was around £180.00

I`ll find out for sure....

Because my main job involves being in the presence of children under the age of 18, plus vunerable adults (?), my employeer made it clear that everyone in my situation MUST be CRB checked.

Needless to say it was all clear, and something else worth mentioning when doing under 18 gigs for clients..

Shaun

Tom
13-08-2007, 10:08 PM
this starting to get a little expensive. So lets say £180 for a crb check, upto £160 for PLI and what ever the price for PAT just to be legal and safe. i know its a requirement but still?????

Key2
14-08-2007, 07:34 AM
this starting to get a little expensive. So lets say £180 for a crb check, upto £160 for PLI and what ever the price for PAT just to be legal and safe. i know its a requirement but still?????

And then, of course, paying for licences to actually 'play music'.:bang:

Dance FX
14-08-2007, 07:41 AM
I have been lucky here as being a registered childminder ofsted have had myself and all my family enhanced CRB checked.

Anyone over the age of 16 who come into regular contact with the children in my care have to be checked and if i have an un checked visitor I am not allowed to leave them alone with the children, even to go make a cup of tea!

I agree that you should make it clear to the customer that you must have at least one other adult in the room with you at all times.

Sarah

KrazyKaz
14-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I am enhanced CRB checked via a fostering agency, as my mate is a foster carer and put my name down as additional support in case of emergency.

You can go to the police station or even online for a voluntary check, but it will be just basic and costs about £10

I do majority kids parties and have never been asked for CRB certificate, although I do carry it with me.

I believe, you cannot get an Enhanced CRB yourself, it has to be requested by another party eg. School, Youth Clubs, Guides, Cubs etc. and they cover the cost.

Corabar Steve
14-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Looky here (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4994&highlight=children)

rob1963
14-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Don't worry, Tom.

It all goes down as business expenses, which reduces your net profit, and therefore your tax liability too!

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I have an enhanced disclosure as I'm a school governor, but it is not transferable.

Shaun
15-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I currently have 2 CRB's. A disclosure provided by a local school I play at frequently, and an enhanced disclosure provided by a charity I help out occasionally.

Tom
15-08-2007, 05:47 PM
i knew about this one. but when would i need this kind of licence for. at the moment i dont have any kind of cover of licence but next year i will getting pli, pat and a new proper website just to get myself started then i wil get crb and now the pml (public music licence) i think it is. not sure. haven't read up on it at all.

rob1963
15-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Tom,

Depending on where you work & the kind of gigs you do, you may well find that you don't need a licence.

You can check the details at the following link:

http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing%20Royalties.pdf

Rob.

Tom
15-08-2007, 09:25 PM
cheers for that. so after having a look, i should be ok really, providing that the venue or oganiser has a PPL then i should be ok. But i was thinking about getting one just to be on th safe side. I dont fancy doing a disco and some one turns and tells me off to put it easy.

i want to start to be legal and do it the right way.

Little_John
20-08-2007, 07:14 PM
The Promoter is responsible for the performance music licences.

If the guests are there at the free invitation of the Host/promoter it's a private party, and there is no PRS/mcps to pay (typ a wedding or birthday)

If the guests have paid for admission it's a public event and the promoter should account for royalties. Rarely will the performer have to pay!

Tom
20-08-2007, 09:50 PM
so as a dj, i dont need to worry about this at all??

Corabar Steve
20-08-2007, 09:59 PM
All the info you need is on the grid

http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Lic...0Royalties.pdf

But it is unlikely you'll need a PPL licence too often.

This thread is about CRB checks though. :ontopic:

Tom
20-08-2007, 11:17 PM
sorry but the link dont work but lets go back to CRB checks. so would you say its a good idea to invest in one???

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-08-2007, 11:19 PM
sorry but the link dont work but lets go back to CRB checks. so would you say its a good idea to invest in one???

Only if you are going to be working predominantly with kids.

Tom
20-08-2007, 11:21 PM
ok. just to say i was going to offer my disco services for kids from the ages of 10 to 17??? would i need one then???

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-08-2007, 11:22 PM
ok. just to say i was going to offer my disco services for kids from the ages of 10 to 17??? would i need one then???

Only if you are going to be in sole charge of the children.

Corabar Steve
20-08-2007, 11:22 PM
sorry but the link dont work

Try this http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing%20Royalties.pdf
Looks the same but it works

Tom
20-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Try this http://djlicence.org.uk/pdffiles/Licensing%20Royalties.pdf

cool. cheers steve

Tom
22-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I was told by my girlfriends mum that i could get a CRB check from the post office for a £5. She works for HM Revenue and Customs so i kind of believe her but what do you think??? is it worth it?

Marc J
22-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I was told by my girlfriends mum that i could get a CRB check from the post office for a £5. She works for HM Revenue and Customs so i kind of believe her but what do you think??? is it worth it?

I found this (http://www.hiway.co.uk/~ei/crbchecks/index.html) which mentions getting documents checked at the Post Office for £5, but that's on top of their fee of £69 for a standard CRB check and £75 for enhanced.

Note that website doesn't seem finished....not if you go directly to http://www.eurotemp.co.uk :confused:

Tom
22-08-2007, 06:15 PM
I found this (http://www.hiway.co.uk/~ei/crbchecks/index.html) which mentions getting documents checked at the Post Office for £5, but that's on top of their fee of £69 for a standard CRB check and £75 for enhanced.

Note that website doesn't seem finished....not if you go directly to http://www.eurotemp.co.uk :confused:

WOW. thanks marc j. that is so cheap for the enhanced crb. i am so going to get this one, 1 as its cheap and i can afford this but also it alows me to work with children (play music for). cheers again. :D :D :D :D :D

Marc J
22-08-2007, 06:47 PM
WOW. thanks marc j. that is so cheap for the enhanced crb. i am so going to get this one, 1 as its cheap and i can afford this but also it alows me to work with children (play music for). cheers again. :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I just found them so don't take it as a recommendation....but they might be OK :)

Tom
22-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, I just found them so don't take it as a recommendation....but they might be OK :)

yeah. dw, im not going to rush into these things. i want everything to be real and official, no fakes

Sam
24-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I could be wrong, but I think you can go to the police station and request a check? It could just be for voluntary work, but someone has definitly said that to me at one point or another.

I'm CRB'd to work in a school, so I'd like to think that was good enough for most organisations (well at least for quoting it for disco use!)

To add my 2ps worth it is also worth seeing if your workplace does them..
Depending on where you work of course (and if you work!) and what situation your in.

I am CRB'd for working at the theatre.. and like Will.. I like to think that is good enough for other organisations too..

(.. its generally dark back stage (ish).. and if there are little kids about.. you can imagine why we need to be checked.. although obviosuly you still have to be so careful to not get into any situation where you could be accused of anything - which can be tricky when you have a dance show in with 300 kids!!! *rolls eyes*)

DMX Will
24-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Just re-read this. Legally you are not allowed to talk to the kids when Backstage Sam. You must also be a licensed matron/chapperone to even talk to them. Unless of an emergancy....like they get in the way of a very quick change with flats and set flying all over the place...lol

Sam
24-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Just re-read this. Legally you are not allowed to talk to the kids when Backstage Sam. You must also be a licensed matron/chapperone to even talk to them. Unless of an emergancy....like they get in the way of a very quick change with flats and set flying all over the place...lol

didn't know it was a legal thing.. but don't worry.. i don't talk to them! Thats what i meant from what i said really.

The most contact i've had with them is when one decided to walk *under* a fly bar WHEN it was COMING IN!! (and we let them in pretty quick sometimes..)
I was being cautious and it was still fairly high.. and it was very heavy.. so stopped it way before any damage could have been done to the kid.. but christ.. if a bars coming in.. whats the bloody point in going under it... *rant etc :bang: *
Anyway as soon as the scene change was done I went down to the dressing rooms to find the chaps.. told them what had happened.. and the kid was told to come and say sorry haha.

*long story i know...*

To anyone who doesn't know what a fly bar is... it is a gurt metal bar (usually) that runs across the stage.. and is used to hang curtains, scenery, lx features sometimes... and could easily kill someone if it dropped on their head.

On second thought I'm sure I've had to tell the kids to belt up and to get back into the wings.. they hadn't quite grasped the fact that people could see them if your practically on the stage..

DMX Will
24-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I tell the kids to "shurt yer pie hole" quite a bit...funny but serious if you get me

Sam
24-09-2007, 09:50 PM
haha yeh!
it's always fun to be able to tell them to shut up and get a way with it.. *evil laugh etc*

them talking has quite a few implications though.. from being picked up by mics and the audience hearing to the crew not being able to communicate very well and ending up dropping something on someones head.. haha

Tom
25-09-2007, 10:21 PM
does anybody agree with me that there should be some kind of CRB logo like the PLI and PAT validators???

Sam
25-09-2007, 10:34 PM
no way do i agree.
Some people may have some unfortunate thing against their record that would not affect them working say for weddings.

And its only a small niche of the market that need CRBs ...

Only my thoughts :-)

Corabar Entertainment
25-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Thing is, until there is a simple way for all DJs to get a CRB check, it's not really an option, is it?

We did look into this and we did find a way around it, but it would cost around £130-£140 for the first check (normal rates for subsequent years). On that basis, I doubt that it would be worth implementing the system, as I doubt that very many would take it up.

DMX Will
26-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm sure if you run a business you can elect to have yourself CRB'd (obviously at cost to yourself as Angela said.)

It's not like PAT and PLI though, you do need to be re-checked, but not every year. I think my school will be re-CRBing me in about 5 years time.

As I said in a previous post, you have to be re-CRB checked for each company you work for (I.E. my school CRB doesn't cover me as a DJ or technician). I'm not sure if you would need to be CRB'd for each place you worked in, as we are Mobile DJs, even if you were CRB'd under your own company name.

Not sure on that one, so if anyone knows the answer, please let us know!

It can't be that hard as we're about to CRB all our Club Night staff, at cost to us. (I'm not the one dealing with it, so I don't know huge amounts at this time)

Sam
26-09-2007, 09:24 PM
will, not entirely sure your right..
I think when you have a certifcate of clearance it is ok.. as logn as they have checked all your areas (they can opt only to check certain bits.)
As when i was first aiding for the council they asked me if i had a certificate.. when i said no.. they opted to get one done..

Could be wrong.

Corabar Entertainment
26-09-2007, 10:18 PM
An employer can get an employee checked, but if you're self-employed, you can't get yourself checked..... and most DJs are self-employed.

You could get your client (who in that case is your employer as they are employing you to do a job) to get you checked, but then the certificate belongs to them, not to you and it's not transferable.

Sam
26-09-2007, 10:19 PM
oh.. i stand corrected.