PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Buisness

Tom
17-08-2007, 04:49 PM
I have had a look but couldnt' find anything with what i am going to ask but if there is already a thread then please link me.

After being on here for a short time i have noticed that most member on here usually have a few disco's a week or are busy every weekend.

Is there anyway i can increase my buisness. I am in the process of designing a website, not a myspace. i think it would look more professional aswell. hope this helps anyway. I have all the equipment i just need to use it. :(. My next disco is november time and i wanted to know if there is anything i can do to get more. i have given out tons of buisness cards at discos i have done, thats becuase people have asked for them but havent had any phone calls since.

Any tips or ideas

Ricesnaps
17-08-2007, 05:01 PM
There are lots of ways to market yourself.

I would suggest that those of us who are out most weeks and seem reasonably successful have work at getting there and were at one point just like you.

A web site is a great start - but make sure you get yourself linked. The directory maximiser service you see advertised as a banner on here is a great way to get a good Google ranking. Make sure you buy a domain AND go for paid hosting. The free stuff really isn't the right image!

Otherwise, promote yourself locally as much as you can. Think about your prices - sometimes it's just as well to go out cheap to start with so you build up a reputation and then you can start building a realistic fee.

I've just started writing to local venues and posting out flyers to promote myself. Maybe you could arrange to visit them and see if you can be recomended. I'm afraid everything costs money at the start and some well produced fliyers or leaflets are vital if you go down this route.

Finally from me, why not see if there are any local agencies you could aproach. There's nothing wrong with doing agency work and it can be quite well paid and regular if you are good at what you do. Only downside is that you sometimes have to wait to get paid after the gig, but check out the individual terms. I did a lot of agency work when I moved back to this area to build myself up (and unfortunately the only person you can promote at an agency gig is the agency!). Now I pick up maybe 2 or three a year from agents.

Good luck

Tom
17-08-2007, 05:08 PM
(1) Make sure you buy a domain AND go for paid hosting.

(2) sometimes it's just as well to go out cheap to start with so you build up a reputation and then you can start building a realistic fee.

(3) I've just started writing to local venues and posting out flyers to promote myself.

(4) Finally from me, why not see if there are any local agencies you could aproach.

1. Thats what i was going to do anyway. also i wanted a specefic web address anyway. dead easy to remember too

2. i was going to be cheap to start off also. there are a few dj's locally who charge a bomb and after looking at there rig and preformance they dont seem worth paying all that money. my opinion.

3. this might be a daft idea but i was thinking about running off some a5 or a6 size paper and do a door to door, throught the letter box thing. might help.

4. what are agencies. sorry.

Ricesnaps
17-08-2007, 05:35 PM
1. Thats what i was going to do anyway. also i wanted a specefic web address anyway. dead easy to remember too

2. i was going to be cheap to start off also. there are a few dj's locally who charge a bomb and after looking at there rig and preformance they dont seem worth paying all that money. my opinion.

3. this might be a daft idea but i was thinking about running off some a5 or a6 size paper and do a door to door, throught the letter box thing. might help.

4. what are agencies. sorry.

Point three is a complete waste of money - tried it myself and it's hard work for no return. Write letters to venues, local clubs, societies etc...

Not sure if I am alowed to pop a link to the agent I work for sometimes, so I won't until I'm told I can! Basically an agent is a company who advertisce, promote and actively go out looking for entertainment work. Some just promote DJ's, some also promote bands, magicians etc... An agent doesn't actually DJ or play ina band (generally), but has a list of DJ's and other acts that they can give work to when it comes in. They generally spend a lot of money advertising, attending shows and get contract work with hotels. The benefit for a client with an agency is usually that they won't be let down. Say an agent calls you and offers you a gig on Saturday week, on the Friday you come down with a bug and call to say you can't do the gig, the agent will then find another DJ (hopefully) to do it instead. In a nutshell, an agency gets work and then has DJ's who do it for them. Remember most agencies expect you to work on a self employed basis and usually you are not obligated to work for them exclusively (meaning you are free to go and look for your own work). The only rule usually is that you can't take a gig in your own name from either a client you have worked for through the agency or for a venue you have worked for through the agency.

It's also worth pointing out that the better agencies will insist on PLI and PAT and generally have a specific dres code you have to adopt when working for them

Tom
17-08-2007, 05:42 PM
The only rule usually is that you can't take a gig in your own name from either a client you have worked for through the agency or for a venue you have worked for through the agency.

As im thick and i dont understand this let me ask what i think it is.

Lets say "joe bloggs" asks for a dj through an agency and i get the gig. i do the disco and thats the end of that. now lets say "joe bloggs" asks for me but not through the agency but on the phone from him to me. i have to say no because i have worked with him through the agency???

is this correct of have i got the wrong end of the stick. but if it is right why cant i do this then??? just out of intrest. plus cant you send a pm of the agency or would you still get in trouble???

Corabar Steve
17-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Go for it Matt

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Network with other DJs. Offer to roadie for local people. Get involved.

This is the best way to build up contacts and then eventually get work out of it.

Tom
17-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Offer to roadie for local people.

i wanna get involved but i dont like the idea of working with someone else. i like to setup the gear and use it, not just set it up and leave it at that. i also like plya music and get the crowd up but as a roadie i cannot do this. :(. i would probelly tell them how to setup there gear even though they know how to do it plus i wouldn't like it myself if it was my gear. but i do want to get involved with other dj's and maby have a recomend list on my website with what dj prefers to play or do eg wedding, 18th, 21st and 40th or 50's n 60's music.

Penfold42
17-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Network with other DJs. Offer to roadie for local people. Get involved.This is the best way to build up contacts and then eventually get work out of it.
:agree:

You should also listen to what Ricesnaps is saying....very good advise. (to much there to quote Rice!!)
As I have done most of that and only now reaping the rewards from March this year......it is a long slog but once the ball is rolling it just seems to take off....keep at it....:)

i wanna get involved but i dont like the idea of working with someone else.

Don't treat it as working....look on at as learning and networking....you are never to old to learn new tricks......:)

Corabar Steve
17-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Very true.

Tom
17-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Don't treat it as working....look on at as learning and networking....you are never to old to learn new tricks......:)

supose so. plus im only 19. not old at all. :p

Corabar Steve
17-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Well there you go.

Seriously, it is worth your while to find a local DJ to tag along with.

Penfold42
17-08-2007, 06:57 PM
supose so. plus im only 19. not old at all. :p

That's it......start with a good attitude.;)

Tom
17-08-2007, 06:59 PM
its a shame that you all live to far away from me because i would ask if i could come along and help out. never mind a.

Penfold42
17-08-2007, 07:02 PM
its a shame that you all live to far away from me because i would ask if i could come along and help out. never mind a.

I'm going to be really thick here (nothing different then :D )....where's Medway.....I feel I should know but don't....!!:o

Tom
17-08-2007, 07:10 PM
medway is in kent. erm, well from my house to london its about 30 miles. dont know if that helps. south east england

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/images/2005/11/09/medway_470_470x470.gif

i live just up the road from rochester (on the map)

Tom
17-08-2007, 07:11 PM
this map is better. sorry

http://www.hometutorsdirectory.co.uk/south%20east.gif

Steve 'B'
17-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I could prob give you some work sometimes. What kit do you use??

Tom
17-08-2007, 07:52 PM
this is what i am currently using

1x laptop
1x external hard drive
1x behringer bcd 3000
1x behringer 6200 EQ
2x Studiospares fortissimo 15 (400 watts rms each)
2x prosound smart ssc-2
2x geni mojo spin master 3
1x dj frame
2x speaker stands
1x mic
1x mixer

but hope at the end of the month i will be buying these

1x DB Sub 15
1x Behringer Xenyx 1202fx (my other mixer is to big)
1x Citronic MP216UHF Wireless Microphone
2x prosound smart ssc-2
1x Gemini CD200 Twin CD player (as a backup incase latop or hard drive fail)

as well as better and more cables and conections for lights, new rack box and rack mount power suply ect.

this will hopefully be my new rig. when i get it all i will take pictures and post them as i would very proud of what i have, what ever anyone says

Ricesnaps
17-08-2007, 07:59 PM
As im thick and i dont understand this let me ask what i think it is.

Lets say "joe bloggs" asks for a dj through an agency and i get the gig. i do the disco and thats the end of that. now lets say "joe bloggs" asks for me but not through the agency but on the phone from him to me. i have to say no because i have worked with him through the agency???

is this correct of have i got the wrong end of the stick. but if it is right why cant i do this then??? just out of intrest. plus cant you send a pm of the agency or would you still get in trouble???

You are absolutely correct in your first part. If Joe Blogs calls you and say "you did me party last week" and you know that it was an agency booking, all you can do is say "call the agency". You shouldalso be able to sya "call the agency and tell then you want me", but the work would HAVE to go through the agency.

Why? Because generally most agency have a contact that you sing to say you'll work for them and that contract will generally state that you can't take work that related directly to work you took through the agent. You will also be expected (by contract) to not put out any of your cards or flier at the gigs, or put up any names banner or advertisment duretly relating to you. Why? because the agency have done all the hard work getting the gig, you just saud "yes I'll do it"!

Don't get me wrong, agency are great at times and will help you get going. There's nothing to stop someone who was at a party you did through an agent liking you and tracking you down quite seperately now is there. That's happened to me!

Tom
17-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, agency are great at times and will help you get going. There's nothing to stop someone who was at a party you did through an agent liking you and tracking you down quite seperately now is there. That's happened to me!

so if i go angency then thats all i can do but i could tell people if you want to beek me you have to go to the agency first and say you want to book me. also how much of a cut do the agency want???

Ricesnaps
17-08-2007, 10:22 PM
so if i go angency then thats all i can do but i could tell people if you want to beek me you have to go to the agency first and say you want to book me. also how much of a cut do the agency want???

It's going to be a very long night, I can tell!

If you work for an agency, you can also usually work for anyone else you like as well.

For example, phone rings:

"do you do disco's, saw your advert in my local shop window"

Take the booking even if you are working for an agency sometimes and keep all the money and hand out as many cards of yours as you want.

But, if you get a call from the agency, take the gig as well as the girl who called, but don't hand out any cards.

Finally, if anyone from the first gig likes you and call, book a party for them under your own name.

If anyone from the agency party asks, simply tell them to contact the agency.

You can work for as many diffeent agents as you like AND still work for yourself!

Tom
17-08-2007, 10:26 PM
ahh. i get it now. i guess my dyslexia is really kicking in. sorry. lol

as soon as i get my pli and pat then i will call around and have a look on the internet. thanks again. feel bit stupid now. :(

Penfold42
17-08-2007, 10:51 PM
It's going to be a very long night, I can tell!
LOL...you got me hooked!
Like your editing comment.....:D

feel bit stupid now. :(

Don't worry ...your doing fine....:)

Tom
17-08-2007, 10:56 PM
ok. so what about doing a live mix on my website. lets say a 20 minute mix of what i can do with different styles of music???

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-08-2007, 11:38 PM
ok. so what about doing a live mix on my website. lets say a 20 minute mix of what i can do with different styles of music???

There will be copyright issues if you do that.

Tom
18-08-2007, 01:26 PM

ok. never mind. lol

PropellerHeadCase
18-08-2007, 01:51 PM
take the gig as well as the girl who called

Try as I might I can only read that one way, rude and amusing :D

Vectis
18-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Could use copyright-free downloaded stuff if you're just showing off mixing ability then the content doesn't really matter?

Tom
18-08-2007, 04:08 PM
could do but i think dance and trance music are hard to mix as you have to mix beat to beat. i was going to record this and somthing else. but i dont know yet

PropellerHeadCase
18-08-2007, 09:12 PM
could do but i think dance and trance music are hard to mix as you have to mix beat to beat. i was going to record this and somthing else. but i dont know yet

Umm, yeah, but that's what mixing is.

And I think the point of a mixshow on a mobile DJ website is as much to show typical selections for a disco as it is mixing ability.

Ricesnaps
18-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Unfortunately that's also the general rule of thumb with most musical styles, unless you're exceptionally tallented and then there's such a thing as key mixing.

Might be wrong, but personally, dance, trance, funky house and the rest is way easier to mix than older stuff!

Tom
18-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately that's also the general rule of thumb with most musical styles, unless you're exceptionally tallented and then there's such a thing as key mixing.

Might be wrong, but personally, dance, trance, funky house and the rest is way easier to mix than older stuff!

i guess it all depends on what you are using to mix with and your style of music you prefer. I love heavy metal, basically all the stuff you would think is noise. lol. i can see what you mean though, same speed songs, same boom boom boom boom. 4/4 time signiture all the way though is kind of easy but for me i like to pratice just incase i have to do a "dance" disco. you never know.

Ricesnaps
18-08-2007, 10:16 PM
i guess it all depends on what you are using to mix with and your style of music you prefer. I love heavy metal, basically all the stuff you would think is noise. lol. i can see what you mean though, same speed songs, same boom boom boom boom. 4/4 time signiture all the way though is kind of easy but for me i like to pratice just incase i have to do a "dance" disco. you never know.

Not at all. I guess it may depend on your experiance and skill, but without a doubt dance is way easier to beat mix

Corabar Steve
18-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Probably coz it all sounds the same in the first place!

Tom
18-08-2007, 10:40 PM

nah. i mean, my dad is into heavy metal. Stuff like metallica, iron maiden. The stuff i listen is so much heaiver, Children Of Bodom (my favourite of all time), kalmah, Norther, Dimmu Borgir and the list goes on and on and on.

and for Ricesnap.

I have been doing disco's by myself for about 5 years but used to help my dad out when i was younger and had to do my own set. It was only for a OAP club but they gave me the CD decks (denon and gemeni) and told me to get on with it. I didnt know any of the music but i could listen to it (to see if it sounds ok to play) but it went well and gave me a small tip for sweets. there were probelly being nice but my dad and the owner of the gear said i actually did very well. most of the songs were in sync an chose some cracking tunes. even a few got up to dance but that was only for about 2 mins before they were in pain. :o

Corabar Steve
18-08-2007, 11:15 PM
nah. i mean, my dad is into heavy metal. Stuff like metallica, iron maiden. The stuff i listen is so much heaiver, Children Of Bodom (my favourite of all time), kalmah, Norther, Dimmu Borgir and the list goes on and on and on.
I was talking to Matt. (Dance music all sounds the same, not HM)

Tom
18-08-2007, 11:22 PM
i dont know who matt is but my bad. :(. ill keep quite now

Corabar Steve
18-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Ricesnaps

Tom
18-08-2007, 11:34 PM
ok. im going to write these down so its easier for me to know who is who and i take it you clive. :P. haha

CRAZY K
19-08-2007, 03:08 PM
:agree:

You should also listen to what Ricesnaps is saying....very good advise. (to much there to quote Rice!!)
As I have done most of that and only now reaping the rewards from March this year......it is a long slog but once the ball is rolling it just seems to take off....keep at it....:)

Woof Woof!

CRAZY K

Penfold42
19-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Woof Woof!

CRAZY K
LOL....

Hiya Barbara............:D :D

CRAZY K
19-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Funny, thought it was just me Steve!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of interest I wouldnt get too worried about all the technical bits--I would concentrate on getting a good selection of music sorted that you just crossfade for mainstream and middle of the road work--and take advice on what to play from experienced professionals on here--

I spent the weekend at a Wedding--well it was 10 hours drinking and eating before we got to the Disco bit--what a job for the DJ--people in their early 30s getting married----rest of guests all 30 to 60plus!!!!!!!

All been drinking all day--talk about a no brainer!!!!!!!

First dance---Cant take my eyes off of you
then this lot---I thought it was Dragonfly at one stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summer of 69
Livin on a prayer
Billie Jean
Man I feel like a woman
bit of Elvis
I dont feel like dancin
Dont stop me now
Sixties non stop mix AND SO ON

Anyway--the point is get prepared for some gigs like that --incidentally for the regular readers on here--the lighting was non existent in terms of this forums standards----sound was fine--I hear they went on to 3 am and had a great night--I had to go to bed----so no its not always the equipment and lighting that matters much!

CRAZY K

Tom
19-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Funny, thought it was just me Steve!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of interest I wouldnt get too worried about all the technical bits--I would concentrate on getting a good selection of music sorted that you just crossfade for mainstream and middle of the road work--and take advice on what to play from experienced professionals on here--

I spent the weekend at a Wedding--well it was 10 hours drinking and eating before we got to the Disco bit--what a job for the DJ--people in their early 30s getting married----rest of guests all 30 to 60plus!!!!!!!

All been drinking all day--talk about a no brainer!!!!!!!

First dance---Cant take my eyes off of you
then this lot---I thought it was Dragonfly at one stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summer of 69
Livin on a prayer
Billie Jean
Man I feel like a woman
bit of Elvis
I dont feel like dancin
Dont stop me now
Sixties non stop mix AND SO ON

Anyway--the point is get prepared for some gigs like that --incidentally for the regular readers on here--the lighting was non existent in terms of this forums standards----sound was fine--I hear they went on to 3 am and had a great night--I had to go to bed----so no its not always the equipment and lighting that matters much!

CRAZY K

well i just want to say that i really like listening to other people's ideas. i dont think i am the best and i probelly wont be but hey, ill give it a go. I do like to ask a lot of questions, some may sound daft but i like to keep on top of things.

I dont drink alchol at all so just coke for me. i tryed it when i was younger and it wasn't for me. it just makes me feel sick, even the smell of it right up in my face.

Also i do like everything to be perfect on the night. no hick ups. i always make sure my laptop is tip top and always take care of my gear. if people offer to help i always say no because if the drop it they probelly wont be able to afford a replacement, but if i know the carrier can replace if damaged then they can help. daft i know but dont want broken equipment. just say if i had martin lights or somthing. i would go spare :bang:

Ricesnaps
19-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Also i do like everything to be perfect on the night. no hick ups. i always make sure my laptop is tip top and always take care of my gear. if people offer to help i always say no because if the drop it they probelly wont be able to afford a replacement, but if i know the carrier can replace if damaged then they can help. daft i know but dont want broken equipment. just say if i had martin lights or somthing. i would go spare :bang:

Maybe you might like to insure your gear?

Tom
19-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Maybe you might like to insure your gear?

could do but then again, how much is that going to set me back rufley for about £3000 of equipment

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Funny how people that aren't into a particular genre or style of music or don't understand it, always say it sounds the same.

Corabar Steve
19-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I do actually (as you well know) like a fair bit of dance, but it does sound samey, for all it's sub genres it traeds a very narrow path.

Penfold42
19-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I do actually (as you well know) like a fair bit of dance, but it does sound samey, for all it's sub genres it traeds a very narrow path.

Would that be treads........:rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-08-2007, 08:57 PM

But it only sounds samey when you don't have a big interest in it or understand it. That's my point.

Corabar Steve
19-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Would that be treads........:rolleyes:

It would indeed.

djgordyp
19-08-2007, 09:27 PM
i dont think i am the best and i probelly wont be but hey, ill give it a go. :

Instead of thinking you'll never be the best look back at you're past gigs and ask yourself what did I do that I could improve on. Always keep a positive attitude. Who knows, you could be the next voice of radio 1 or whatever.

PropellerHeadCase
19-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Dull, soulless dance music, bip, bip, bip, bop, bop, bop :D

I tend to be fussier about what I like in genres I prefer, like dance and heavy metal than I am about genres that I don't so much care about, like pop ;)

Ricesnaps
20-08-2007, 07:33 AM
could do but then again, how much is that going to set me back rufley for about £3000 of equipment

Well I have about £9000 of gear and it's about £9 a month.

Obviously if you are concerned about other people dropping it you might want to check that it covers that, but if you're not insured what happens if your gear gets stolen?

I take it you already have PLI don't you?

Tom
22-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Well I have about £9000 of gear and it's about £9 a month.

Obviously if you are concerned about other people dropping it you might want to check that it covers that, but if you're not insured what happens if your gear gets stolen?

I take it you already have PLI don't you?

£9 a month, thats good. Im looking around at the moment to see who is best to go with.

Im sorry to say but i dont have PLI or PAT. Since i joined this forum and scanning around on others website its quite a big thing to have plus it saves yourself from paying ££££ if somthing ever goes worng. But i can say that i really want to get these so much. i get payed on 25th so im going to buy more dj gear but not spend all my money on it. if you only pay only £9 a month then hopefully it should be cheaper for me then. :confused: I have been doing disco's for years but im very new to all these new things i must have like PLI, PAT and CRB. but they are all on my list. I just tryed for a loan but got rejected so i think ill have to save up the £7000 for a new car and dj gear. :(. never mind a.