PDA

View Full Version : If you take on a second dj should they have their own gear

scoopd
19-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Looking at taking on a second dj soon and I was just wondering what percentage of you guys have a second dj wh has their own gear.It seems a heckuva lot of cash to pay a second dj and buy gear for them!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I have enough gear for around 4 shows, but all my guys have their own gear, and we all use very similar shows too.

Corabar Steve
19-08-2007, 10:17 PM
All of ours use our kit, we can & have put out 6 shows on one night.

We have also been known to sub work out to trusted DJs (with their own kit) although they are not under sole contract to us like our lads are.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Me too a couple of weeks ago, but not with all my kit!

rob1963
19-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I have enough gear for around 4 shows, but all my guys have their own gear, and we all use very similar shows too.

I have enough kit & DJs to be able to put out anything up to 1 show a night.

Penfold42
19-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Mmmmm.....do you class yourself as a DJ now then........:D :D :D

*Boom Boom*

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-08-2007, 10:34 PM

That many? :p

PropellerHeadCase
19-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Mmmmm.....do you class yourself as a DJ now then........:D :D :D

*Boom Boom*

Penmare42 1 Vs Rob1963 0

Larry B Entertainment
21-08-2007, 10:56 AM
That many? :p

50% more than me :D

Ricesnaps
21-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Interesting thread!

Those of you who have guys working for you who own there own gear - how do you get them to work for you then? Surely if you have your own gear you would want to develope your own business and get your own work?

Either way, how do you advertise for and get DJ's to work for you (with or without kit)

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Interesting thread!

Those of you who have guys working for you who own there own gear - how do you get them to work for you then? Surely if you have your own gear you would want to develope your own business and get your own work?

Not necassarily.

As previously discussed, most DJs are part time and a lot don't want the hassle of paperwork and advertising, admin, customer service etc etc, so they work for other people.

As for getting guys to work for me? I don't go looking, but I do network and have many a contact through doing that. I pay well and look after people who work for me, pay them within 7 days generally and find out all the details they could possibly want, so all they do is turn up, do the function and go home again.

Ricesnaps
21-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Not necassarily.

As previously discussed, most DJs are part time and a lot don't want the hassle of paperwork and advertising, admin, customer service etc etc, so they work for other people.

As for getting guys to work for me? I don't go looking, but I do network and have many a contact through doing that. I pay well and look after people who work for me, pay them within 7 days generally and find out all the details they could possibly want, so all they do is turn up, do the function and go home again.

That actually sounds easier than I thought. I'm already doing the hard work getting the gigs and all the contact stuff. I wonder how easy it would be to find a good DJ with gear around here. How do you go about making sure the DJ and the gear are up to your standard?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2007, 01:00 PM
That actually sounds easier than I thought. I'm already doing the hard work getting the gigs and all the contact stuff. I wonder how easy it would be to find a good DJ with gear around here. How do you go about making sure the DJ and the gear are up to your standard?

As long as the gear is clean, PAT tested, and looks a certain way, then I am happy. My guys know what I expect and their gear is appropriate to that. It's more the attitude of the DJ that I'm interested in. As a company, we do certain things in certain ways and it does take a little time for newer Djs to grasp what we do and do it, but it happens eventually.

I get to know people first and see if they are reading off the same page as me, so to speak. I can tell by talking to people whay their attitude is towards the industry and gear.

After that there is always a certain amount of trust involved.

I had one DJ try and steal one of my clients and go behind my back. He no longer DJs and I still have the client. ;)

Corabar Steve
21-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Let's not forget, it's easier for an established company to get gigs than for somebody (albeit with their own kit) starting up on their own

Candybeatdiscos
21-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I would never ask a dj to use or have thier own kit if working for me, if i get more bookings than i can handle then i would pass the booking on to someone like shaun etc

I always DJ'd previously for other people using thier gear and would expect others to do the same for me, using my gear - that way i cant be held as an agency as if i put someone out using thier own gear say for £250, and paid them £200 then effectivly i am acting as an agent - therefore subject to more legislation etc (if i am right)

Ricesnaps
21-08-2007, 04:58 PM
It's an interesting thought though. I certainly want to go down the multiple gigs on one night route and had always assumed I needed to provide the gear. After all I worked for a year or so for a guy who ran 3 shows but didn't DJ himself. Had never considered the fact that I could get guys with gear to work for me. I wonder how I get hold of guys like that?

Corabar Steve
21-08-2007, 05:39 PM
With great difficulty, it's hard enough getting guys without gear interested.

Larry B Entertainment
21-08-2007, 06:44 PM
It's an interesting thought though. I certainly want to go down the multiple gigs on one night route and had always assumed I needed to provide the gear. After all I worked for a year or so for a guy who ran 3 shows but didn't DJ himself. Had never considered the fact that I could get guys with gear to work for me. I wonder how I get hold of guys like that?

Pity that we are in areas so far apart. I wouldnt mind working for someone and just being told where and when the gigs are. I am in a full time job aswell as the dj'ing so time is a bit tight sometimes to get everything done, would be nice to have someone else handle all that paperwork and stuff.

Ricesnaps
21-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Pity that we are in areas so far apart. I wouldnt mind working for someone and just being told where and when the gigs are. I am in a full time job aswell as the dj'ing so time is a bit tight sometimes to get everything done, would be nice to have someone else handle all that paperwork and stuff.

Now there's an oportunity for someone....

CRAZY K
21-08-2007, 11:05 PM

If they are not contracted to you permanently and get their own work as well---then you wont be able to use them on some nights--Murphys law says the night you most want them:eek:

I ran 4 units many years ago with all my kit and a mixture of my bookings and some suplied by the DJs, I can only assume Darren is offering his guys a good deal if they supply their own kit. :D

I would try advertising in your local paper first---thats how I started years ago--dont know if that will work in 2007?

Have you got a paper with ads for Discos and Bands--thats the place to advertise.

We must talk on the 1st September--

Eat your heart out Matt-I have a prospective customer coming along to check out my show at Shotley Marina :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

regards

Alan
CRAZY K

yourdj
06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
It's more the attitude of the DJ that I'm interested in

Totally! I have had many dj's in my club nights and only the ones who are not up their own ass have survived :p

i put someone out using thier own gear say for £250, and paid them £200 then effectivly i am acting as an agent - therefore subject to more legislation etc (if i am right)

This is what i was thinking of doing? I was going to take a set £50 deposit in advance (for one off parties) by check or online payment and let the client pay the dj on the night. I hope to have 3-4 of these a week as well as me djing too.

theoloyla
06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I have worked for many agents over the years and the only way that an agent can be sure an act they book out is any good is by seeing them in operation and/or by customer feedback. If you book out a rubbish act then it smears the reputation of your business and all your other acts. Both of the agents that I work for on a long term basis spend nights out visiting the venues where their acts are working to make sure the clients are happy and that everything is running well.

A1DL
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I have worked for many agents over the years and the only way that an agent can be sure an act they book out is any good is by seeing them in operation and/or by customer feedback. If you book out a rubbish act then it smears the reputation of your business and all your other acts. Both of the agents that I work for on a long term basis spend nights out visiting the venues where their acts are working to make sure the clients are happy and that everything is running well.
:agree:
Absolutely Theo, some excellent points you make there.

yourdj
06-01-2008, 12:57 PM
the only way that an agent can be sure an act they book out is any good is by seeing them in operation and/or by customer feedback.

I was having exactly the same conversation with a well respected local DJ last night. I have many gigs to go to :rolleyes: but in time i will know who is good and who is not :)

mb3
06-01-2008, 03:50 PM
By the time you are established enough to consider taking on a second DJ you should have enough spare kit from all the upgrades you have made to your own kit to equip him.

I've only recently started (after a break of 20 plus years) and I've already upgraded my decks, mixer, amp, lights (twice), speakers (twice), karaoke deck, karaoke monitor, ... about all I'd need for a 2nd DJ would be a pair of speaker stands and a black cloth!

Of course, that serves me right for buying cheap kit at first - but I kept it all as "standby" kit - it would do to start off a second DJ - buy more kit when he proves himself.