PDA

View Full Version : P O Boxes

Larry B Entertainment
22-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Who has one ?
More professional to have booking requests etc sent to a PO box over a normal address ?

I know this has been talked about before but cant find anything in the searches.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Who has one ?.

No

More professional to have booking requests etc sent to a PO box over a normal address ?

Don't see why?

DJ Frankie
22-08-2007, 03:19 PM
From the Royal Mail Website:

"Costs just £46.90 for six months, or £57.85 for 12 months.
Additional option to get your mail delivered from your PO Box to your normal address for an extra £46.90 per 6 months, or £57.85 per 12 months.
Subject to availability we can also transfer your normal mail to your PO Box for an additional £46.90 for six months, or £57.85 for 12 months"

Try here

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=600006&mediaId=52100716

Larry B Entertainment
22-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Just thinking it looks better from the customer point of view to send stuff to one rather than a normal home address. Plus i want to get a free listing aswell on yell.com but dont want to put down my home address.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-08-2007, 03:42 PM
From the Royal Mail Website:

"Costs just £46.90 for six months, or £57.85 for 12 months.
Additional option to get your mail delivered from your PO Box to your normal address for an extra £46.90 per 6 months, or £57.85 per 12 months.
Subject to availability we can also transfer your normal mail to your PO Box for an additional £46.90 for six months, or £57.85 for 12 months"

Probably about the same as having another phone line then.....:whistle:

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 05:26 PM
We have a freepost address, but that only gets used once the prospective customer becomes a confirmed customer.

The only part of our address shown on it is the postcode.

rob1963
22-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I am just wondering if clients might be put off by a PO box address, as it might appear that you are "hiding" behind it rather than being up front & open about where you are.

Also, even if you DO use your home address, people still have no way of knowing whether it's a home address or not...it could just as easily be your registered business address or the address of an office you rent for the business.

Just a thought.

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I must admit, I'm reluctant to deal with anyone who only has a PO Box.

CRAZY K
22-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Theres virtually no DJ, Caterer, Marquee Hire Co or Agency with one in my local YP.

So whats the point?

I go with Steve and Rob, sounds more suspicious than professional.

CRAZY K

wensleydale
22-08-2007, 09:50 PM
how many people use snail mail anyway- all our communication is email and bank transfer.

Danno13
22-08-2007, 09:52 PM
How do you get a signed contract via email? Apart from asking the client to print off, sign and scan back in?

I give my clients the option to pay by cheque or bank transfer and I'd say about 80% still send cheques.

PropellerHeadCase
22-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Strange isn't it? In NZ having a private address rather than a business address/PO Box is generally looked on as "small business" (read: less professional). Many people I know even use PO boxes for their own private mail.

I am just wondering if clients might be put off by a PO box address, as it might appear that you are "hiding" behind it rather than being up front & open about where you are.

What's wrong with keeping your private life, private?

I think it comes down to the separation between business and private. You can't get away from the phone, necessarily, but I just don't see the point in having an address that no-one need ever visit advertised for all and sundry.

I would've thought that very few of the larger businesses you deal with, Steve, wouldn't have a P O Box, and if you're dealing with them predominantly on-line that is effectively the only address you have. Would you investigate the validity of a physical address for a minor purchase? Have you been to Thomann's offices, for example.

Theres virtually no DJ, Caterer, Marquee Hire Co or Agency with one in my local YP.

And apart from the DJs how many of those businesses are giving private addresses as opposed to business/office addresses?

I give my clients the option to pay by cheque or bank transfer and I'd say about 80% still send cheques.

The exact reverse in NZ - 80% prefer bank transfer.

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 10:09 PM
How do you get a signed contract via email? Apart from asking the client to print off, sign and scan back in?
A check box which states I have read & understood the T&C & am entering in to a binding contract (or words to that effect)

Danno13
22-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Would that be legally binding in the same way as their signature on a contract though?

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I would've thought that very few of the larger businesses you deal with, Steve, wouldn't have a P O Box.No I can't think of one, Those that do have a PO box, have their registered office address shown somewhere so it's not the only reference point so to speak.

Candybeatdiscos
22-08-2007, 10:15 PM
its law isn't it that you must state the address you trade from on all corrospondence, ie business cards etc - i trade from home so its my home address on all my paperwork

PropellerHeadCase
22-08-2007, 10:17 PM
A check box which states I have read & understood the T&C & am entering in to a binding contract (or words to that effect)

And what's binding about that? I wonder how that would stand up to being contested in court.

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 10:24 PM
The exact wording (which I can't be bothered to look up at the moment) was drafted by a lawyer, so I'd say pretty well

Something along the lines of I understand that by filling out & returning this booking form I understand that we are entering into a legally binding contract. Then when they tick the box, Bob's your uncle.

rob1963
22-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I just don't see the point in having an address that no-one need ever visit advertised for all and sundry.

...and I don't see the point in hiding behind a PO box number, which may give the impression that your business is not completely legitimate & above board, a bit like businesses who only advertise a MOBILE phone number.

Corabar Steve
22-08-2007, 10:47 PM
...and I don't see the point in hiding behind a PO box number, which may give the impression that your business is not completely legitimate & above board, a bit like businesses who only advertise a MOBILE phone number.

Another one that has always seemed fishy to me.

rob1963
22-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah, rightly or wrongly it gives me the impression of people who wear ten gallon hats & ride horses!

jamesh
22-08-2007, 10:54 PM

Also, even if you DO use your home address, people still have no way of knowing whether it's a home address or not...it could just as easily be your registered business address or the address of an office you rent for the business.

Just a thought.

My thoughts on the matter exactly!

its law isn't it that you must state the address you trade from on all corrospondence, ie business cards etc - i trade from home so its my home address on all my paperwork

I believe this is only if you a registered limited company... for self employed it's not a requirement.

Larry B Entertainment
23-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Some interesting points of view on this. Decided not to have one after all, i now think its better to use my home address after reading everyones posts.
Must be something better i could spend £57 on :star:

CRAZY K
23-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, rightly or wrongly it gives me the impression of people who wear ten gallon hats & ride horses!

AND WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CUE---LONE RANGER MUSIC

HIYO SILVER:)

CRAZY K

rob1963
23-08-2007, 11:53 AM
AND WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CUE---LONE RANGER MUSIC

HIYO SILVER:)

CRAZY K

If their name is Crazy K, there is NOTHING wrong with that!

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2007, 01:16 PM
its law isn't it that you must state the address you trade from on all corrospondence, ie business cards etc

I believe this is only if you a registered limited company... for self employed it's not a requirement.

Correct.

PropellerHeadCase
23-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, as I'm not yet in the UK the easiest way to have a UK address is to have a PO Box :D

Corabar Steve
23-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, as I'm not yet in the UK the easiest way to have a UK address is to have a PO Box :D

Alan I think the smilie you were actually looking for was :ner: