PDA

View Full Version : New site...comments please!

DMX Will
23-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Hello!

As the title says, new site just launched it a minute ago. I have been working on it for a while on and off, and just finished everything.

All I will say is the gallery needs some more photos, which will appear in time.

Go crazy.... www.virtualsights.co.uk

Comments please!

Will.

Edit: Oh and appologisies for the server slowness today, not sure whats going on.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Superb!

I love the look and the feel of it. Nice colours, well set out, interesting, professional etc etc

I like it.

The man from Del Monte, he say yes!

(Haven't checked for spelling though!)

CRAZY K
23-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Superb!

I love the look and the feel of it. Nice colours, well set out, interesting, professional etc etc

I like it.

Very good--then again blue is my fave colour--

separate spelt wrongly --no problem:D

CRAZY K

DMX Will
23-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Superb!

I like it.

My outlook tasks say: "Check spelling on VS site" I can't do it right now....as I'm off to our Club Night event, I'll do it tomorrow....promise!

Thanks for the kind comments.

EDIT: Spell check complete :)

Marc J
23-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Excellent Will, 9/10 :P

Nicely laid out, nice design, nice colours, easily navigated.

Great gallery :approve: although you need to set a default album, and show the "select page" only when there's more than 1 page. Your zoomed images seem a little big as well (first one is 2592 x 1944 and over 1.3Mb :eek:) and you're right, your server is slow today (get a proper host :p).

I didn't see any ALT or TITLE tags on any of your images...?

Paul James Promotions
23-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Very nice Will

Corabar Steve
23-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice tidy site

BeerFunk
23-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Very impressive indeed! Do you want me to nit pick? :P

or perhaps some quiet tunes whilst you sit down to dinner; Chill out tracks whilst your guests arrive
There shouldn't be a capital letter after a semi-colon!:ner: :D

Corabar Steve
23-08-2007, 07:54 PM
The only thing that I can say I don't like is the obviously posed stock photosused on the homepage. Couldn't you get some of crowds from one of your gigs to replace them?

Penfold42
23-08-2007, 07:59 PM
:cool:

PropellerHeadCase
23-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Prices and Packages
We understand that every disco is different, and because of this, we don't have a set rates.

Drop the 'A' ;)

Sorry, meant to say, nice site, nice colours (I too like blue, after purple).

Corabar Steve
23-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Or the S http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1832.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Marc J
24-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I notice you've added some flash to your header Will. Use SWFObject (http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/) to show alternate content, otherwise non-flash enabled users will see this: -

rob1963
24-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Excellent site.

I've been trying to find something constructive to say....but I cant!

:thumbs_up: :beerchug: :bowdown:

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Excellent site.

I've been trying to find something constructive to say....but I cant!

:thumbs_up: :beerchug: :bowdown:

Nothing new there then...:D :boxer2:

rob1963
24-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Nothing new there then...:D :boxer2:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:moon:

Larry B Entertainment
24-08-2007, 06:21 PM
How very dare you :D

Jiggles
24-08-2007, 06:42 PM
ruddy orrable!! :D:D

Kidding! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:P:P

DMX Will
24-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I notice you've added some flash to your header Will. Use SWFObject (http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/) to show alternate content, otherwise non-flash enabled users will see this: -

To be honest, It's only on the main page, as at the moment I don't really want to use flash there. I just need to revert backto the jpeg :) thanks for the reminder though.

oh and Marc....you should really install flash ;)

PropellerHeadCase
25-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Or the S http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1832.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Gramatically correct but, I suspect, factually inaccurate, hence my choice :p

Corabar Steve
25-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I can't remember what he said now :sj:

DMX Will
25-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Gramatically correct but, I suspect, factually inaccurate, hence my choice :p

I went with your choice Alan - thanks :) :beer1:

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, come on guys!

There must be something wrong with it, lol. :)

Penfold42
26-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, come on guys!

Yea......it's :pants:
Well you did ask!!:D :D :D :D

rob1963
26-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Well, come on guys!

Ok...

...The red "Sound re-inforcement" text isn't very clear on top of the mixer pic, and is not helped by the mixer having buttons which are also red.

You did ask!

:p

Marc J
26-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Hmm you want nitpicking eh???

OK, the PHP session ID is appended to the URL on the first link, try putting this in htaccess to stop it: -
# Stop PHPSESSID being appended to URLs
php_flag session.use_trans_sid off

Also, custom error pages would finish it off nicely :)

EDIT: Oops, and add a favicon :D

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Oooh some nice ideas, thanks.

Marc J
26-08-2007, 10:28 AM
The EXIF comment on the last pic in "lighting" hasn't been edited....

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 11:07 AM
the exif comment shouldn't be showing....I edited your code so every picture says "Virtual Sights - $albumname", and EXIF was turned off...i thought.

Marc J
26-08-2007, 11:19 AM
the exif comment shouldn't be showing....I edited your code so every picture says "Virtual Sights - $albumname", and EXIF was turned off...i thought.

The default code shows checks for an EXIF comment and does one of two things depending on if it's found. My guess is most of your pics don't have an EXIF comment (the ones which show what you intended), and the last one DOES have an EXIF comment and that's what's showing.

So, this should do what you want (editing thumbtable.php from original): -

///////////// This is the Exif section
// show comment
if($exif['COMMENT']['0'] == null) {
$thiscomment = 'Untitled';
} else {
$remove = array("'", '"', "\n", "<", ">");
$thiscomment = str_replace($remove , "", $exif['COMMENT']['0']);
}
echo 'title="<strong>' . $thiscomment . '</strong>';
// show Camera Make and Model
to
///////////// This is the Exif section - Edited to ignore the EXIF comment altogether!
echo 'title="<strong>Virtual Sights - ' . $albumname . '</strong>';
// show Camera Make and Model

PM me details if you want me to take a look though....

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Is it a template?

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 01:05 PM
So, this should do what you want (editing thumbtable.php from original): -

Thanks Marc, I have just resized all the photos anyway, photoshop obviously got shot of the exif data as it fixed itself anyway. I have put the new bit of code in place just incase it happens again. Thanks again :)

Is it a template?

Yes, a pay-for jobbie, well worth the $30 I would say.

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh btw Marc - that variable should have been "thisalbum" :)

Edit: Marc, how can I get rid of the alt tags on every thumbnail? I can't seem to fish the bit of code out. :( I just want shot of it as they all say the same thing, and also show the strong tags.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes, a pay-for jobbie, well worth the $30 I would say.Thought so, it looks it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It still looks very slick.

Marc J
26-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh btw Marc - that variable should have been "thisalbum" :)

Edit: Marc, how can I get rid of the alt tags on every thumbnail? I can't seem to fish the bit of code out. :( I just want shot of it as they all say the same thing, and also show the strong tags.

There are no alt tags, they are all title tags. Unfortunately the title tag is also used in the thickbox display as the title. If you remove the title tag (by further editing thumbtable.php to remove that part completely) then it'll be removed in the thumbnail view and the thickbox view.

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 02:49 PM
There are no alt tags, they are all title tags. Unfortunately the title tag is also used in the thickbox display as the title. If you remove the title tag (by further editing thumbtable.php to remove that part completely) then it'll be removed in the thumbnail view and the thickbox view.

Ok...that'll do, I'd rather have no alt tags and no thickbox title than a crap looking alt tag.

Marc J
27-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, a pay-for jobbie, well worth the $30 I would say.

Will, I happen to know where you got the template from. I've never used them (the company) myself but have been tempted a few times. How was the template to work with?