PDA

View Full Version : 0845 or 0800 number?

DMX Will
25-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Poll above.

I've just been reading another thread (Thanks to Vectis for the Skycom link) and I'm 99% sure I'd be better off with a 0845 or 0800 number, rather than my current 07005 number (which isn't actually a mobile number).

So what are your views, according to the skycom web site I can have an 0800 number for £5 a month with 250 mins included, and a low rate after that (no setup fee).

Or an 0845 number, with £15 setup fee, but free (from what I can see)...

Your views/comments please....

Vectis
25-08-2007, 01:39 PM
EVERYONE knows that an 0800 is free. There is confusion around other non-geo numbers... stop 100 people in the street and ask them how much an 0845 call costs and most will have no idea. Some will think it's a premium rate number.

My 0800 bill from Skycom rarely exceeds £5 pm and all my calls are diverted to mobile. If a call looks like being a long one, just take a number and call them back on a more favourable tariff.

I vote 0800.

DMX Will
25-08-2007, 01:45 PM
EVERYONE knows that an 0800 is free. There is confusion around other non-geo numbers... stop 100 people in the street and ask them how much an 0845 call costs and most will have no idea. Some will think it's a premium rate number.

My 0800 bill from Skycom rarely exceeds £5 pm and all my calls are diverted to mobile. If a call looks like being a long one, just take a number and call them back on a more favourable tariff.

I vote 0800.

Thanks,

you said in your other post that you pay a £1 a month service fee, is there a clever way of removing the standard £4.95 a month fee and reducing it if forwarding to a mobile?

Vectis
25-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Not sure mate. I know I'm on some kind of 'low usage' tariff so I pay £1 per month then a per-minute rate, no 'bundled' minutes. I think my setup was £15 because I wanted to divert to mobile. If you only divert to landline you can avoid this. And don't think you can set it up as a landline and change it later... as soon as you 'promote' it you get the charge. It's only one-off though.

jamesh
25-08-2007, 01:50 PM
The number system and prices are changing soon so may be worth holding off buying any!

It used to be 0870 was national and 0845 was local and then 0800 was free but this is all changing... Well the 0845 and 0870 side of things anyway.

0845 and 0870 will no longer be local and national and i've heard 0845 will actually work out more expensive than 0870 to call but not seen any prices yet.

A new number starting 03 will also be introduced into the number system during September. This is for businesses who want a national presence but don't want the stigma and distrust that is associated with 0845 and 0870 numbers these days. 0345 numbers will be for companies looking to transfer their existing 0845 numbers to the 03 number system...

Whether it really will make any difference though is anyone's guess...

Probably the safest option for not changing and people knowing the cost of would be 0800 but it all depends on if you are happy to pay for the call costs rather than the person ringing.

DMX Will
25-08-2007, 01:52 PM
The number system and prices are changing soon so may be worth holding off buying any!

It used to be 0870 was national and 0845 was local and then 0800 was free but this is all changing... Well the 0845 and 0870 side of things anyway.

0845 and 0870 will no longer be local and national and i've heard 0845 will actually work out more expensive than 0870 to call but not seen any prices yet.

A new number starting 03 will also be introduced into the number system during September. This is for businesses who want a national presence but don't want the stigma and distrust that is associated with 0845 and 0870 numbers these days. 0345 numbers will be for companies looking to transfer their existing 0845 numbers to the 03 number system...

He doesn't lie... http://www.skycomuk.com/03_uk_wide.php

I'm thinking 0800 anyway - will I not be affected if I choose an 0800 number?

wensleydale
25-08-2007, 01:53 PM
0800sarent free from mobiles which most people use a lot of the time nowadays therefore i cant see the advantage of them.
i really dont think this is an issue- same as po boxes.
i use my mobile and never have a problem.

DMX Will
25-08-2007, 01:53 PM
He doesn't lie... http://www.skycomuk.com/03_uk_wide.php

I'm thinking 0800 anyway - will I not be affected if I choose an 0800 number?

You just edited your post with the answer - thanks!

PropellerHeadCase
25-08-2007, 02:14 PM

I vote 0800.

What he said.

wensleydale
25-08-2007, 03:27 PM

I vote 0800.

but it isnt always free if you call from a mobile- in fact you often have to pay and cant use your inclusive minutes, so i avoid 0800 numbers or goodle for a geographic number.

it could therefore lose you business.

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 12:03 AM
but it isnt always free if you call from a mobile- in fact you often have to pay and cant use your inclusive minutes, so i avoid 0800 numbers or goodle for a geographic number.

it could therefore lose you business.

But again, do that many people know it's not going to be free, I think an 0800 is better than my current 07005961520 number.

The only thing with Skycom is, at the moment I have a fax to email solution from dmClub, with a 1 instead of the last 0, so in effect I have a pair or matching numbers, one for our switchboard, and one for fax.

wensleydale
26-08-2007, 07:46 AM
But again, do that many people know it's not going to be free, I think an 0800 is better than my current 07005961520 number.

The only thing with Skycom is, at the moment I have a fax to email solution from dmClub, with a 1 instead of the last 0, so in effect I have a pair or matching numbers, one for our switchboard, and one for fax.

Yes- when I call 0800 I get an annoying message telling me I will be charged, twice, which adds about 15 seconds to actually speaking to someone - I know I get charged- I'm not stupid and dont need reminding every time I make an 0800 call.

I would seriuously just stick with a normal phone no. never had a problem.

Vectis
26-08-2007, 08:17 AM
just stick with a normal phone no.

Fine if you're there to answer it and not trying to juggle several businesses. Mine is more about the ability to program call routing than anything else, although the 'Freefone 0800' does stand out from the crowd of mobile numbers in the directories and gives a more professional image I think. Joe Public feels he's dealing with a reputable company rather than a fly-by-night.

wensleydale
26-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Fine if you're there to answer it and not trying to juggle several businesses. Mine is more about the ability to program call routing than anything else, although the 'Freefone 0800' does stand out from the crowd of mobile numbers in the directories and gives a more professional image I think. Joe Public feels he's dealing with a reputable company rather than a fly-by-night.

again, i would argue that it could be seen like a po box as something you are hiding behind- if you have a geographic no at least people know where you are roughly. you can always divert anyway.

just an opinion but i would be inclined to call any 0800 last, not call at all, or look for a non 0800 no for the company and get fed up in the process.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Isn't that a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

wensleydale
26-08-2007, 09:47 AM
isn't what a case...

wensleydale
26-08-2007, 09:48 AM
maybe the answer here is offer all 3- freephone, mobile and landline.
than people can choose what they want...

Vectis
26-08-2007, 10:11 AM
maybe the answer here is offer all 3- freephone, mobile and landline.
than people can choose what they want...

Agree 100%.

On my contact form I offer freefone, mobile, typetalk, landline, fax, email, online enquiry form and live chat. About half of initial enquiries come via email/online enquiry. The remainder are by phone with the vast majority coming via 0800. Occasionally someone calls one of the other numbers but not very often. Maybe 1 in 10.

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 11:01 AM
A landline is out of the question for me tbh, I've had a free service with my 07005 number, till now, and I cannot justify the cost of a 2nd landline in my house, which will then route out via my server, down the internet to my mobile - thats just silly.

I'm going to go with the 0800 i think, i'm just waiting for the skycom call center to open on tuesday, so I can discuss a few things with them :)

rob1963
26-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Of the two options, I think an 0800 number is best - simply because everyone knows it's free to call. As already stated, when you start talking about any other codes such as 0845, most people don't have a clue about the charges...so it could actually be counter-productive.

Personally, I don't use either. My website displays my landline, mobile and email address...so clients can choose how they contact me.

I doubt if I'm losing any business by not having a freefone number.

I wonder how many clients who see a normal landline number on a disco website would say "I'm not calling them because they don't have a freefone number...and there's no way I'm paying 2p or 3p a minute to speak to them on a normal landline"

Probably not very many.

wensleydale
26-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Of the two options, I think an 0800 number is best - simply because everyone knows it's free to call. As already stated, when you start talking about any other codes such as 0845, most people don't have a clue about the charges...so it could actually be counter-productive.

Personally, I don't use either. My website displays my landline, mobile and email address...so clients can choose how they contact me.

I doubt if I'm losing any business by not having a freefone number.

I wonder how many clients who see a normal landline number on a disco website would say "I'm not calling them because they don't have a freefone number...and there's no way I'm paying 2p or 3p a minute to speak to them on a normal landline"

Probably not very many.

but that is kind of my point.
people dont get put off by calling and paying for a landline, so whats the point in paying for a freephone when that could put people off, but they have to pay for anyway as it isnt free from their mobile?

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on.
like whether the actual disco is any good.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 01:05 PM
isn't what a case...

If you want something & your only point of contact is a freephone number (which are usually tied to a landline, but not always), you won't use the company.

Vectis
26-08-2007, 05:36 PM
but that is kind of my point.
people dont get put off by calling and paying for a landline, so whats the point in paying for a freephone when that could put people off, but they have to pay for anyway as it isnt free from their mobile?

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on.
like whether the actual disco is any good.

Well I've set out what I've observed based on y/e 2006/07. Web-based enquiries up to 52% (increase of 8% on 2005/06). Balance by phone, vast majority via 0800. So it works for me.

And based on my feedback, I consider my actual disco is very good :rolleyes:

PropellerHeadCase
26-08-2007, 09:30 PM
How well-known as free are 0808 numbers?

wensleydale
27-08-2007, 11:28 AM
If you want something & your only point of contact is a freephone number (which are usually tied to a landline, but not always), you won't use the company.

its not that i wont use them, just less likely- if you are trying to get people to call then you have to realise that it may cause people not to call too.

car insurance is a good example- if i am ringing round on my mobile i will ring ones with geographic no's first as my mobile doesnt charge me for these- i dont want to call a particular company - just get some quotes- similar scenario as wills example is it not?

Penfold42
27-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Same here......if they ring my mobile....i ring them back, i take the charge.

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on. like whether the actual disco is any good.

Buy that man a beer....:beer1:

I dont get it........:o
Land line and mobile.....What's in a number....??

My land line and mobile work fine why complicate things.....i just don't get it.:)

Ricesnaps
27-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Same here......if they ring my mobile....i ring them back, i take the charge.

Buy that man a beer....:beer1:

I dont get it........:o
Land line and mobile.....What's in a number....??

My land line and mobile work fine why complicate things.....i just don't get it.:)

I think I made this point on another thread. The reason we have an 0845 number was in the firt place, simply because we didn't want to advertise our personal home number, but also didn't want a 2nd line put in.

What's in a number - well I guess that's what we all want to know. Is it the numbere that puts people off calling?

Penfold42
27-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I think I made this point on another thread. The reason we have an 0845 number was in the firt place, simply because we didn't want to advertise our personal home number, but also didn't want a 2nd line put in.

What's in a number - well I guess that's what we all want to know. Is it the numbere that puts people off calling?

I have two land lines and a mobile as well as 4 e-mail's.....adding another number will add to confusion...IMO

Still not convinced.

I dont advertise my home number......i advertise another land line number....if that gets abused....i guess that's what your getting at or part of it.
I change....all i'm in for then is business cards and a duff YP's.....

Sorry still don't get it......:o

Ricesnaps
27-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I have two land lines and a mobile as well as 4 e-mail's.....adding another number will add to confusion...IMO

Still not convinced.

I dont advertise my home number......i advertise another land line number....if that gets abused....i guess that's what your getting at or part of it.
I change....all i'm in for then is business cards and a duff YP's.....

Sorry still don't get it......:o

It's not a case of being convinced or not convinced. What I'm actually getting at it what practical difference do differnt types of numbers make? Like the best of us I have a "land line" (albeit an 0845, a mobile and an email, all advertised. That's really not what I am getting at here. Sure they work, but what difference would say changing the 0845 to an area coded number do?

Would it mean I got lots more good quality enquiries?
OR would it mean I got lots more local and can't afford my prices enquires?

What about an 0800 number in preference to the 0845:

Does that put off most people?
Would it generate muich more higher end enquires
OR would it simply generate price war people

Which leaves 0845 numbers.

Now I know I get calls on this, but would I get more calls if it was an 0800 number or a local landline? Or actually doesn't it make a **** bit of difference?

You see, personally I see 0800, 0845 and the like as being much bigger and national type companies. So if I was in the market for something big and high quality, or I wanted the cheapest car insurance quote I would call the 0800 or 0845. However if I wanted the washibng machine fixed, I'd try the local man first every time.

See what I'm getting at?

discomobiledj
13-09-2007, 08:03 AM
You could always go for a new 0844 number, this way, you get paid for taking the call. Alot of companies are now taking this up as it's a money making exercise.