PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear - Here we go

Candybeatdiscos
26-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I bought a laptop in May 07, I opened it and set it up as per normal - this was to be a back up laptop. Everything seemed fine and recovery disc was created etc so i packed it away. I have used it about 6 times since it was bought, on the third occasion I noticed the time was about 5 or 6 mins slow, so i manually reset it and carried on, the 4th time of using it it was slow again so again i manually reset it, it was slow by the time I got home so I decided to reboot it back to factory settings via the recovery disc, anyway it happened a further twice so yesterday (Aug 25th) i took it to **WILL NOT MENTION STORE AT THIS TIME** to report the problem, they told me to phone their support line which i did, the support line could only offer a repair, which i didn't want so i asked for a refund or exchange. I was told to discuss with the shop so went back in and spoke to an under manager. he basically told me same thing - ie only a repair as the manufactuerer has a right to try and repair the item, i explained that i wished a refund or exchange as per the sale of goods act, he basically refused and I started to get slightly agitated, (I have to admit at this point I swore, I know I shouldn’t have and when I went back later I spoke to him and apologised – there is no excuse however I was agitated at this point) - so i went home, looked at the Sale of Goods act and printed of parts of it, so i went back and again spoke to the same guy, and requested a refund or exchange, i showed him the sale of goods act which i printed off and he said he had to speak to the store manager in order to get his decision, the store manager refused to even look at my print off and told me he would only consider a repair, the conversation did get a little heated mainly because I felt that the store manager was acting very smugly, in both his attitude and facial expressions. I raised my voice loud enough for the customer behind to hear me as i asked why this particular well known store did not adhear to the sale of goods act and would this customer behind me who was looking at a fridge have to wait up to 28 days without cold food should thier fridge pack in when only 3 mths old?, anyway the store manager decided I was acting aggressively (Basically he wanted me out the store) and phoned the police, I did not have the time to wait on the police however the store manager obviously gave my address to the officer so I spoke to the officer when he came to the house. The officer has obviously a duty to hear both points of view and had to advise me to take it further with trading standards and to keep calm if ever in the store.

My next course of action will be to speak with trading standards and discuss the situation with them regarding the problem with the laptop, and in regards to the customer service and the attitude received I intend to writing to my local paper as well as a few computer magazines

The print off that I took with me is as follows.

" PART 5A

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS OF BUYER IN CONSUMER CASES

48A Introductory

(1) This section applies if -

(a) the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and

(b) the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery.

(2) If this section applies, the buyer has the right -

(a) under and in accordance with section 48B below, to require the seller to repair or replace the goods, or

(b) under and in accordance with section 48C below -

(i) to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or

(ii) to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.

(4) Subsection (3) above does not apply if -

(a) it is established that the goods did so conform at that date;

(b) its application is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.

Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts
Subject: Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back.

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

now bear in mind yes the laptop was 112 days old before i took it back, however used say 6 or 7 times in total, after i noticed the problem which is intermittent i done a manual reset of time and a full system recovery using the disc i was required to make (i felt that this was more of a reasonable cousre of action rather than take it straight to the shop as soon as i noticed it - it may be a faulty CMOS battery which if it is requires me to peel off a warrenty sticker in order to access it - something i dont really fancy doing until its out of warrenty.

so what do you guys think? am i going OTT, or do i have a case?

Sapphire Disco
26-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the little creature crawling across the screen at the bottom of this post ?

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the little creature crawling across the screen at the bottom of this post ?

lol, no just you - i'd go back to bed if I were you...

Yes, everyone is getting it, it's a moving gif in his sig :)

BeerFunk
26-08-2007, 11:26 AM
It does sound like you need a replacement CMOS battery, but that's not the point here. Have you considered contacting the area/divisional manager? Everyone has a boss above them, and if they're at the top of the chain, the customer is their boss.

Yes, I see it too, it's in his signature, thought I was going mad! :eek:

Sapphire Disco
26-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank god for that, thought I had a bug in me laptop.

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Have you checked any terms and conditions with the store, if it's a chain, they can be clever by foreseeing issues like this, and write them into any terms and conditions to keep them safe.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 01:01 PM
One word for you Gary, Watchdog.

Name & shame!

Candybeatdiscos
26-08-2007, 01:22 PM
well after reading other forums who have named and shamed them i will see what trading standards have to say first.

Dont think i will be eating any CURRY'S for a while.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2007, 01:22 PM
If it's only a backup laptop, why not just get it repaired? It will be a lot less hassle.

Corabar Steve
26-08-2007, 01:47 PM
There are principals at stake now though, they've refused to comply with Gary's rights as the law stands. I saw make them give a refund, & don't use any stores within that group of companies.

rob1963
26-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Excuse me while I swat that d@mn bug! :mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2007, 02:17 PM
There are principals at stake now though, they've refused to comply with Gary's rights as the law stands. I saw make them give a refund, & don't use any stores within that group of companies.

As I said, it would be much easier to get a repair, especially as it's only a backup laptop.

Make a stand and it will take ages, and you won't have a backup laptop.

Penfold42
26-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Excuse me while I swat that d@mn bug! :mad:

LOL......wouldn't do that...it will cost you a few Shekels........:D :D

I like it.....:)

DMX Will
26-08-2007, 04:14 PM
As I said, it would be much easier to get a repair, especially as it's only a backup laptop.

Make a stand and it will take ages, and you won't have a backup laptop.

It sounds to me like the backup laptop, needs a backup!

djgordyp
26-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Going slightly off topic here.

I am far from impressed with these guys. In my local store they seem to be afraid of dealing with cutomers. Understandable when the store is full. But I have went in on numerous occasions when they were slack only to end up walking out without making a purchase. Recently I did manage to collar one assistant who, when I told her what I was after (can't remember what it was now) she just said they're over there and I had to ask her to show me the different ones. Even then they just read what is written on the cards or the box. Just a few weeks ago my girlfriend was after a laptop and the girl who dealt with us said that 512MB was the speed of the computer. Some of them haven't got a clue what they are talking about.:bang:

Of recent major purchases. I have had to return 1 digital camera 2 pvr's (in fairness this turned out to be a design fault) and at christmas I bought myself a DAB clock/radio. There is a buzzing noise from the radio but it's not too bad so i'll just put up with it rather than bring back yet another item.

PropellerHeadCase
26-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree with whoever it was that said that it's the CMOS battery. All PCS, as far as I know, have a battery to keep internal time, which is why your PC's time is usually right even when it's been off for ages. I understand about the principle of the thing, but at some point you've spent more of your valuable time than the issue is worth. You could just about replace it yourself, or just 'phone a friend' who works in IT to do it for you ;)

DJWayne
26-08-2007, 11:38 PM
you may find that in their terms and conditions they state that after the item is 28 days old they will send the item off for repair, I know that was the policy of a high street retailer i worked for in the past :)

rob1963
27-08-2007, 12:30 AM
I bought myself a DAB clock/radio. There is a buzzing noise from the radio but it's not too bad so i'll just put up with it

Errr...doesn't that mean it's time to get up?

Candybeatdiscos
27-08-2007, 07:39 AM
you may find that in their terms and conditions they state that after the item is 28 days old they will send the item off for repair, I know that was the policy of a high street retailer i worked for in the past :)

I understand that is the case with tghis company, but although that is thier policy, its not complying with the sale and supply of goods act (amended 1994), the act basically states that if the item is inheritly faulty then within 6 months the consumer can request a replacement, repair or refund.

I agree with whoever it was that said that it's the CMOS battery. All PCS, as far as I know, have a battery to keep internal time, which is why your PC's time is usually right even when it's been off for ages. I understand about the principle of the thing, but at some point you've spent more of your valuable time than the issue is worth. You could just about replace it yourself, or just 'phone a friend' who works in IT to do it for you ;)

As i stated i could do that no problem, but in order to get to the battery i need to remove a warrenty sticker (that says warrenty is invalid if removed) and i would more likely need to remove other components first (in my experiance of this laptop) as its not easilly located. I dont wish to do that whilst the laptop is only 3 months as its a 2 year manufacters warrenty thats on it.

Also as steve says - its now pride

Corabar Steve
27-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Going slightly off topic here.

I am far from impressed with these guys. In my local store they seem to be afraid of dealing with cutomers. Understandable when the store is full. But I have went in on numerous occasions when they were slack only to end up walking out without making a purchase. Recently I did manage to collar one assistant who, when I told her what I was after (can't remember what it was now) she just said they're over there and I had to ask her to show me the different ones. Even then they just read what is written on the cards or the box. Just a few weeks ago my girlfriend was after a laptop and the girl who dealt with us said that 512MB was the speed of the computer. Some of them haven't got a clue what they are talking about.:bang:

Never go into an electrical retailer on a Saturday. (with the intention of buying or finding any info anyway)

DJWayne
27-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I understand that is the case with tghis company, but although that is thier policy, its not complying with the sale and supply of goods act (amended 1994), the act basically states that if the item is inheritly faulty then within 6 months the consumer can request a replacement, repair or refund.

As i stated i could do that no problem, but in order to get to the battery i need to remove a warrenty sticker (that says warrenty is invalid if removed) and i would more likely need to remove other components first (in my experiance of this laptop) as its not easilly located. I dont wish to do that whilst the laptop is only 3 months as its a 2 year manufacters warrenty thats on it.

Also as steve says - its now pride

not meaning to cause any offence before i start thhis post but......

I will stick my neck out here and say i think you may have misinterpreted the sale of goods act by the way you have made certain sections bold in your original post. Most of the points you have made bold relate to this term the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery which the retailer will flatly deny as you had the item 112 days before you complained. Also the fault is caused by a battery which they will claim is not the item being inherently faulty just a serviceable part as it does not stop the item from functioning properly it is a minor fault.

For the sake of a CMOS battery I would just let them repair it rather than complain too much.

If your case was 100% water tight on this i would push it but from what i can see it is not and if this goes too far all you will do is end up red faced.

my 2p anyway :)

djgordyp
27-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Errr...doesn't that mean it's time to get up?
I was wondering what that was :p :p

I mean when you have the radio on there is a low buzzing sound. It only happens with the alarm or the dab channels, it is fine on fm

Never go into an electrical retailer on a Saturday. (with the intention of buying or finding any info anyway)

I was talking mostly about when they are slack. On a couple of occasions I was the only customer in the shop. I think they were trying to get me to play hide and seek with them lol.

Unless I know exactly what I want and it's at a low price, I'll just stick to the private retailer from now on. You can get every bit as could a deal (sometimes better) and you get sales staff who know what they're talking about.

Candybeatdiscos
27-08-2007, 07:53 PM
not meaning to cause any offence before i start thhis post but......

I will stick my neck out here and say i think you may have misinterpreted the sale of goods act by the way you have made certain sections bold in your original post. Most of the points you have made bold relate to this term the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery which the retailer will flatly deny as you had the item 112 days before you complained. Also the fault is caused by a battery which they will claim is not the item being inherently faulty just a serviceable part as it does not stop the item from functioning properly it is a minor fault.

For the sake of a CMOS battery I would just let them repair it rather than complain too much.

If your case was 100% water tight on this i would push it but from what i can see it is not and if this goes too far all you will do is end up red faced.

my 2p anyway :)

Well trading standards have said that i have a case although i do not have the same rights as a consumer under the sale of goods act, because it was bought for business (so be careful).

they have stated that i should (not must) allow the retailer to do a repair as long as i am not inconvienaced, so i called the retailer who said "reapirs take up to 28 days, if not done by then we will replace the machine", i argued that i am massivley inconveinanced as its a back up machine, what happens if my other machine breaks down during a gig? the guy replied that usually its 7-10 days its away for , yet couldn't guarentee, - still refused to exchange or refund, so i have now to go back to trading standards as a result (as per TS officers suggestion)

nigelwright7557
27-10-2007, 10:37 PM
PC's rely on a calender/time chip to keep the time.
If the battery is not low or flat then it could be the timing crystal on the motherboard.
It is very imprtant with new equipment that you try it out quickly after purchase and look for faults.