PDA

View Full Version : Refreshed web site

Ricesnaps
27-08-2007, 10:13 AM
After many many months, I have finally got the refreshed web site uploaded (or at least it will be, just, when I have finished this thread).

Thanks for all the help and suggestions etc... I'm afraid I haven't gone for quite as radical as I was first thinking, but it's a tidier version of what I had (ish).

I do need to point out a couple of things before the comments come rolling in:

1. I needed to get something up quite quickly, so this is NOT completely finished
2. The text is in the main, just a copy and paste from my old site. I am going to work through it and make changes
3. I know the party page is blank - still need to get there with that.
4. The wedding page doesn't center, but I have no idea why
5. The PAT and PLI links don't work, need to scan certs!

Otherwise, happy for any comments and thoughts please:

www.revelationroadshow.co.uk

I will try to respond if there's any comments about things that are knowingliy not perfect!

spin mobile disco
27-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Just checked it out, looks nice and neat. Wedding page shows up fine on my computer seems centered to me. But maybe my eyes are wonky lol.
Your map on your location seems a bit small cant make out place names etc you may want to get a more enlarged version, but thats just my opinion.
Rest looks nice and professional to me nice job.

Ricesnaps
27-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Just checked it out, looks nice and neat. Wedding page shows up fine on my computer seems centered to me. But maybe my eyes are wonky lol.
Your map on your location seems a bit small cant make out place names etc you may want to get a more enlarged version, but thats just my opinion.
Rest looks nice and professional to me nice job.

Thanks for the comments. I did wonder whether to put the map on at all to be honest, was worried I might limit myself when actually all I wanted to do was show the standard area for cost purposes. The problem with working here is you can't use a 10 mile radius as your base, 50 miles is about the limit and many venues (or at least of a certain standard) are anything up to 100 miles.

Million dollar question though (if you can remember), is it better than the old site?

Marc J
27-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Million dollar question though (if you can remember), is it better than the old site?

To be honest Matt, I can't see that much of a difference! It's a little tidier, and most noticeable is that you've fixed the missing logo in the header!

I'm personally not keen on some of the colour choices - the red (green on hover) link against the blue in the footer looks nasty; the link in the Weddings section on the "How Much" page is barely visible (if it's a visited link) and also turns a nasty green on hover; the light blue boxes on the "More Information" and "Ready to Book" pages are garish; the "Music Database" link on the "Choose your music" page too (especially on hover).

A lot of your images containing text (for example in the header and the "More Info page") are optimised too much, the edges look terrible.

On your more info page, you say "Both of these files will open a new window" yet there are three files....:confused:

The copy of your flyer on the "PA Hire" page is too small and unreadable - maybe make it actually smaller but link it to a larger version?

I was browsing some templates the other day and saw one that matches your colour scheme nicely (grays and blues) and it was only $30....drop me a PM if you want the link.

Ricesnaps
27-08-2007, 08:05 PM
To be honest Matt, I can't see that much of a difference! It's a little tidier, and most noticeable is that you've fixed the missing logo in the header!

I'm personally not keen on some of the colour choices - the red (green on hover) link against the blue in the footer looks nasty; the link in the Weddings section on the "How Much" page is barely visible (if it's a visited link) and also turns a nasty green on hover; the light blue boxes on the "More Information" and "Ready to Book" pages are garish; the "Music Database" link on the "Choose your music" page too (especially on hover).

A lot of your images containing text (for example in the header and the "More Info page") are optimised too much, the edges look terrible.

On your more info page, you say "Both of these files will open a new window" yet there are three files....:confused:

The copy of your flyer on the "PA Hire" page is too small and unreadable - maybe make it actually smaller but link it to a larger version?

I was browsing some templates the other day and saw one that matches your colour scheme nicely (grays and blues) and it was only $30....drop me a PM if you want the link.

Can't notice any difference???

OK (and I did already say a lot of this) - the text is generally the same as the previous version, the button design is the same and more or less in the same place. However I hope I have smartened it up, made it a little easier to read, added a little more class to it?

Otherwise, some very useful comments, thanks Marc.

To be perfectly homest, I hadn't even thought about looking at the link colours. Certainly didn't actually plan them like that! lol! That's one for my next free hour or so - any suggestions for a better colour scheme?

I did think the heading (which you rightly say are pictures with words on them) looked quite classy like that - maybe not? The problem for me, unlike yourself and others here is that I'm just an amateur using tools that he knows a little about. The text is actually a window font, copied from a word document into Paint Shop Pro, background changed and popped into my web design software. I'm sure there's a much neater way of doing it, but unfortunately I know what I know and like what I use to do it with. I'll have a play about and see what I can do, unless you have some tips?

The info page - well spotted, that was one of my deliberate mistakes (well maybe it should have been). Previous design had only two files, new one has three - needs changing, well spotted!

The flier on my PA hire is there because I have nothing else to put there just yet (but I will do). Better than nothing? Or maybe not, but it will dissapear and be replace, it was never intended to be a long term solution.

And finally, thank you for the offer of the template. I'll pass though as I doubt I would actually know what to do with it if I did buy it. Nice thought though, thanks!

CRAZY K
27-08-2007, 09:13 PM
:D
After many many months, I have finally got the refreshed web site uploaded (or at least it will be, just, when I have finished this thread).

Thanks for all the help and suggestions etc... I'm afraid I haven't gone for quite as radical as I was first thinking, but it's a tidier version of what I had (ish).

I do need to point out a couple of things before the comments come rolling in:

1. I needed to get something up quite quickly, so this is NOT completely finished
2. The text is in the main, just a copy and paste from my old site. I am going to work through it and make changes
3. I know the party page is blank - still need to get there with that.
4. The wedding page doesn't center, but I have no idea why
5. The PAT and PLI links don't work, need to scan certs!

Otherwise, happy for any comments and thoughts please:

www.revelationroadshow.co.uk

I will try to respond if there's any comments about things that are knowingliy not perfect!

WILL CHAT ON SATURDAY--

2 QUICKIES---

I think the strap line---we make you stand out etc is not clear enough

The video clip thing---not fast enough--I got bored waiting--no one is going to wait 2 minutes.

USE YOU TUBE AS A LINK---YEAH SOUNDS CORNY BUT ITS WORKING FOR ME GETTING THE WORK IN--YEE HA!

Nice to see Phil the Floor but no mention of Shotley Marina that prestigious venue where the real entertainers get booked :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hope I have time on Saturday to do some Barn Dancing as I have a lot to talk to you about:D :D :D as well as that potential customer who is coming to see me working live:eek:

he he!

regards

Alan
CRAZY K

Marc J
27-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Can't notice any difference???

OK (and I did already say a lot of this) - the text is generally the same as the previous version, the button design is the same and more or less in the same place. However I hope I have smartened it up, made it a little easier to read, added a little more class to it?Fair enough, you have to remember I don't have a photographic memory for your site the way it was :p It does look less cluttered than what I remember, though :approve:

To be perfectly homest, I hadn't even thought about looking at the link colours. Certainly didn't actually plan them like that! lol! That's one for my next free hour or so - any suggestions for a better colour scheme?See here (http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html) and here (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/color-blend/) for colour scheme inspiration!

I did think the heading (which you rightly say are pictures with words on them) looked quite classy like that - maybe not? The problem for me, unlike yourself and others here is that I'm just an amateur using tools that he knows a little about. The text is actually a window font, copied from a word document into Paint Shop Pro, background changed and popped into my web design software. I'm sure there's a much neater way of doing it, but unfortunately I know what I know and like what I use to do it with. I'll have a play about and see what I can do, unless you have some tips?The style is fine, especially if you like it, the only thing wrong is the optimisation - this is what gives the font a jagged edge with some weird colours thrown in as well. This is more than likely a slider in the save options when saving it for the web (as a JPG), might be a percentage (75% is fine) or a 1-12 (aim for about 8 or 9). File size and image quality are a trade-off, and you've gone too far in the small file size direction at the expense of the quality.

DMX Will
28-08-2007, 12:19 AM
My suggestions would be....

- Loose the "bespoke..."
- Lift up the images on the homepage to create a full-span header
- Background colour = white
- The links should either be a table with grey cells (rather than images)
- But just a nice bullet list of links with the standard blue (maybe black?) link colour.
- Make a bigger thing of your numbers at the bottom, but have an extra line break at the bottom, so the scrolling doesn't stop on the blue bit. (Maybe a colourful full span image would be good here?)

Just my thoughts.

PropellerHeadCase
28-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Definitely tidier than before.

Music database needs a little tidying (artists/titles switched in places).

DK Karaoke
30-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I think that your new site is 'full of life' as its presented (layout etc.). However, you have sacrificed your pictures too much, on my screen they are very blurry and blotchy. This includes pictures showing words etc.

Its not easy I know trying to get the balance rights, but if you want to portray a vibrant 'alive' look, then you cant compromise on the pictures.

Marc J
20-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Your email address is wrong on this page (http://www.revelationroadshow.co.uk/Wedding_Entertainment.html) :eek:

Ricesnaps
21-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks - I did realise, just haven't had time!

Sorted now, just needs uploading!