PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know what these are like?

gaza
28-08-2007, 03:34 PM
hi folks.
i was thingking about adding karaoke to my mobile disco service, so can anyone tell me what these are like ( KAM Karaoke Dual CD Kit-Mixer & Flight Case-CDG Player )
thanks
ps they are only £299. that seems a bit cheap.:confused:

Jays karaoke
29-08-2007, 06:24 AM
If your going to add karaoke to your set up you need to make sure you do it properly. You can't just add a cdg player and buy a few discs cos people expect alot more from karaoke now. If your client book karaoke they have done so for a reason and therefor will expect a good show.
Is it worth you doing it, can you cope with the hassle you will get from drunkards, don't forget other things like song books, request slips and of course CDG's, you need at least 300 discs to be even an average karaoke presenter. I go out with around 550 discs and update my charts every month, people expect this.
To add karaoke to your existing set would cost a good few grand so unless you are serious about it i would stay clear and save yourself some cash.
By the way the KAM dual cd kit mixer is not very good at all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2007, 08:04 AM
you need at least 300 discs to be even an average karaoke presenter. I go out with around 550 discs and update my charts every month, people expect this.

So people go to your gigs and count the number of songs you have do they? Seems strange....

I wouldn't say there's a set number of discs you need. You can buy custom made discs these days, so if you are careful about what you are buying, then you'll probably need a lot less.

BeerFunk
29-08-2007, 10:51 AM
So people go to your gigs and count the number of songs you have do they? Seems strange....

I wouldn't say there's a set number of discs you need. You can buy custom made discs these days, so if you are careful about what you are buying, then you'll probably need a lot less.
I'd agree with that. In my experience, the 'regular' karaoke singers seem to look for a selection of Elvis, Neil Diamond, Abba, Robbie Williams, The Eagles, Meatloaf, Whiney Houston, Celine Dion, Frank Sinatra, Kenny Rogers; even Connie Francis and the like. There's no point filling your collection with waffle that will never get used.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I'd agree with that.

Would you stop agreeing with me - it's getting me worried...! :p

gaza
29-08-2007, 03:13 PM
If your going to add karaoke to your set up you need to make sure you do it properly. You can't just add a cdg player and buy a few discs cos people expect alot more from karaoke now. If your client book karaoke they have done so for a reason and therefor will expect a good show.
Is it worth you doing it, can you cope with the hassle you will get from drunkards, don't forget other things like song books, request slips and of course CDG's, you need at least 300 discs to be even an average karaoke presenter. I go out with around 550 discs and update my charts every month, people expect this.
To add karaoke to your existing set would cost a good few grand so unless you are serious about it i would stay clear and save yourself some cash.

dont worry jay, i would not cover your area:eek:

Jays karaoke
29-08-2007, 03:52 PM
What i am saying is that people who book karaoke want exactly that. You cannot go out with a few custom burns and call yourself a karaoke. People want song choice and yes where i am people do rate the karaoke both on the sound and choice in the songbook and yes we take it seriously and have the correct gear for the job.

Jay

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2007, 05:27 PM
people do rate the karaoke both on the sound and choice in the songbook

But that doesn't mean they count the tracks does it? :rolleyes:

gaza
29-08-2007, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jays karaoke;142464]What i am saying is that people who book karaoke want exactly that. You cannot go out with a few custom burns and call yourself a karaoke. People want song choice and yes where i am people do rate the karaoke both on the sound and choice in the songbook and yes we take it seriously and have the correct gear for the job.

ok cheers for that jay.
if i were to start offring a karaoke service it woud be just that. i would not just think to my self :hay letts do a disco with a bit of karaoke thrown it.
it would be advertised as a karaoke business, and the disco service would be a seperate service.but anyway the more i think about it the more i am going of the idea, bacause i love music to much, so maybe i will stick to djing.
cheers jay:beer1:

BeerFunk
29-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Would you stop agreeing with me - it's getting me worried...! :p It's worrying me too! It surely can't continue! :)

Gaza, another thing I'll mention from my experience is that disco and karaoke are like oil and water - it's hard to mix them. There's usually a few dancers who want to dance, and then there's the singers who want to sing all the time. It can be a no win situation, but in saying that, I have had it work out for me sometimes too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-08-2007, 06:00 PM
It's worrying me too! It surely can't continue! :)

Gaza, another thing I'll mention from my experience is that disco and karaoke are like oil and water - it's hard to mix them. There's usually a few dancers who want to dance, and then there's the singers who want to sing all the time. It can be a no win situation, but in saying that, I have had it work out for me sometimes too.

God, I'm going to agree with you now...:rolleyes:

flatliners
29-08-2007, 10:15 PM
try and get a jvc karaoke player there like a work horse
and i agree with beerfunk they both dont mix

DK Karaoke
30-08-2007, 12:53 AM

Totally agree with Jay on this one. Unless you like karaoke and dont mind singing yourself, thats if you can sing, not all of us can, then either invest a 'Lot' of dosh to do it properly, or simply leave it alone.

DJ'ing can be a lot easier, and far less expensive.

Spirits High
12-09-2007, 11:34 PM
try and get a jvc karaoke player there like a work horse
and i agree with beerfunk they both dont mix

Now saying they dont mix , I tend to agree but i've recently done a wedding (admitedly in Belfast) that had both and also a recent farewell party in Buxton. I found that as long as you put set times for the karaoke to finish by and stick to them that the dancers had their time aswell.

I dont carry 550 discs! I have probably about 1200 on pckj which I feel are the ones people will want to sing, happy to say not been caught out yet.

Now Jay and his fellow pro kj's may say im not the real mcCoy but i like to leave that to the punters.