PDA

View Full Version : An interesting opportunity

Ricesnaps
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Just wondered if anyone had any experiance of promoting / running club nights?

Have just been offered a wonderful oportunity at a just re-ferbished local club who currently don't open on a Friday night. There is a very small fee to secure the night, but I get a 325 capacity, two floored club, all the kit and the DJ (should I want him). I'm guessing the rest would be down to me - door staff, promo etc...

There is already another club a stones throw away which is free on a Friday, so either I have to have a massive USP for my night and charge for it, or find some way of making money once the punters get inside.

The local scene from what I know so far is currently full of fairly commercial nights - commercial chart and dance is currently on offer at the nearest venue on the same night and there Saturday is billed as a party night.

Any ideas to spark me off?

theoloyla
02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
You need to be inspired about it. Have you done club work before? Can you or do you think you can do something different and popular that people will pay for. If it was easy the club would not be hiring out a prime night for hire - they would be doing it themselves. Me? I'd run a linedance party.

Danno13
02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Karaoke :D

Ricesnaps
02-10-2007, 07:23 PM
You need to be inspired about it. Have you done club work before? Can you or do you think you can do something different and popular that people will pay for. If it was easy the club would not be hiring out a prime night for hire - they would be doing it themselves. Me? I'd run a linedance party.

I've DJ'd clubs before and have desperately wanted that back for over tenyears now if I'm honest.

The club also owns the club down the road, which I believe is why they don't currently open on a Friday.

I am exceptionally passionate about something like this! Just need to find my USP!

Not planning to be the DJ here though!

Your line dance thought wasn't that far off the mark. Have been considering things like rodeo machines and the like at the venue - no charge to get in, but you pay to ride the horse, that sort of thing?

Dragonfly
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
themed nights?

1 floor northern soul
1 floor motown (yes i know its a label)

1 floor 70s
1 floor 80s

1 floor indie
1floor old skool

you get the idea? just a thought something a bit different from the other top 10 charty commercial stuff that will probably be doing the rounds?

just my idea

maybe charge to get in or offers on the drinks if its down to you?

BeerFunk
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
The busiest clubs in Edinburgh -

Lava:Ignite - Pop/chart/dance downstairs, Cheese/70s/80s upstairs
Stereo - Floor 1 : Pop/chart, Floor 2 : R&B/hip hop, Floor 3 : House
Mood - Pop/chart/dance/cheese
City - Pop/chart/dance/cheese

There are variations mid-week, but this is the general formula for success!
I know it's the same as anywhere else Dave, but it depends whether you want to play safe and have a greater chance of success, or gamble in the hope of doing something more satisfying?

A website is essential, with a system to take photos in the club to upload to the website. A Bebo and MySpace site is also essential, it extends the 'club' idea beyond the nightlife :cool:

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Have just been offered a wonderful oportunity at a just re-ferbished local club who currently don't open on a Friday night.

Any ideas to spark me off?

How do you know it's a wonderful opportunity if you haven't got any ideas to start with? :confused:

Dragonfly
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM
The busiest clubs in Edinburgh -

Lava:Ignite - Pop/chart/dance downstairs, Cheese/70s/80s upstairs
Stereo - Floor 1 : Pop/chart, Floor 2 : R&B/hip hop, Floor 3 : House
Mood - Pop/chart/dance/cheese
City - Pop/chart/dance/cheese

There are variations mid-week, but this is the general formula for success!
I know it's the same as anywhere else Dave, but it depends whether you want to play safe and have a greater chance of success, or gamble in the hope of doing something more satisfying?

A website is essential, with a system to take photos in the club to upload to the website. A Bebo and MySpace site is also essential, it extends the 'club' idea beyond the nightlife :cool:

absolutely whole heartedly agree im just one who enjoys flying by the seat of his pants and doing the different thing :D :D :D :D

PropellerHeadCase
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM
If you have two floors to play with the trick is to aim one at the lads and one at the lasses - so Indie/Alternative on one and Disco/Dance on the other, then decide whether you go current or retro (or both). Yes, gross generalisations, and it's the exceptions to the rules that help it to work (lads in the girl's room, lasses in the boy's room, etc.).

Ultimately you want to encourage traffic between the two sites so you need to offer something complimentary to the other club with a reasonable amount of overlap, but sufficiently different to give the appearance of choice/competition.

If you have a cover charge and the other place doesn't - up the cover charge and include a "free" drink or make the entry ticket also part of a prize draw that you have to be present to win, etc.

Then again, they shouldn't be charging you to run their night unless there's a bar-take minimum and profit-sharing or something.

Ricesnaps
02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
How do you know it's a wonderful opportunity if you haven't got any ideas to start with? :confused:

because it's all about acting with a positive mind and not allowing the negativity to come out.

No, sorry, it's absolutely more than that and I am not going to allow anyone to put down what I know I can do. I have many many times been the chap at the back of the queue, the one who has the thoughts and the ideas, but not the belief to actually do anything about them. Maybe I'm not leading the way in promotions, but I would much rather try and fail than let someone else take the cherry yet again!

The rest of you, many thanks for the pointers. I do have a number of thoughts and I do know where to look and how to assess, just nice to get some great support!

DMX Will
02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Is it just me or 300 odd split across 2 floors not very many at all?

Problem is Rice, these Clubs make their money on drinks.

With our under 18s nights, we don't pay for anything, we split the door money. They don't make much on the bar (as its soft drinks...and thus the kids are not that interested). All in all, we both get a good deal.

All we have to do is turn up and promote it before hand (we could even use their DJ, but obviously half the reason we do it is to DJ/VJ ourselves).

I've mocked up an email that I've sent to a couple of people (including Jamie), if you're interested in having a read drop me a PM.

Ricesnaps
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Is it just me or 300 odd split across 2 floors not very many at all?

Problem is Rice, these Clubs make their money on drinks.

With our under 18s nights, we don't pay for anything, we split the door money. They don't make much on the bar (as its soft drinks...and thus the kids are not that interested). All in all, we both get a good deal.

All we have to do is turn up and promote it before hand (we could even use their DJ, but obviously half the reason we do it is to DJ/VJ ourselves).

I've mocked up an email that I've sent to a couple of people (including Jamie), if you're interested in having a read drop me a PM.

And that's why I need something to attract people to pay to get in OR pay for something WHEN they get in.

I hear rumour of a ride on *****.....lol!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-10-2007, 10:03 PM
because it's all about acting with a positive mind and not allowing the negativity to come out.

No, sorry, it's absolutely more than that and I am not going to allow anyone to put down what I know I can do.

What are you talking about?

I wasn't putting anything or anyone down - I merely asked a question.

jamesh
02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
And that's why I need something to attract people to pay to get in OR pay for something WHEN they get in.

I hear rumour of a ride on *****.....lol!

Yeah it's true... Just like a rodeo bull but in the shape of something else ;)

Would be a hit for the females i would have thought... I know people that have them to hire too if you need one :P

BeerFunk
02-10-2007, 10:41 PM
If you have two floors to play with the trick is to aim one at the lads and one at the lasses - so Indie/Alternative on one and Disco/Dance on the other, then decide whether you go current or retro (or both). Yes, gross generalisations, and it's the exceptions to the rules that help it to work (lads in the girl's room, lasses in the boy's room, etc.)
You want to try to seperate the guys and girls?? :confused:

I can't see how that's going to work at all, I've never seen anything like that in a club. The fact is, guys will go where the girls are, it's primal instinct! It doesn't work so well the other way around, so the floor you're aiming at the guys will be a bit of a damp squid I'd have thought?

Corabar Steve
02-10-2007, 10:52 PM
I could be wrong, but as a promoter aren't you responsible for one of the licences involved?

PropellerHeadCase
02-10-2007, 11:09 PM
You want to try to seperate the guys and girls?? :confused:

I can't see how that's going to work at all, I've never seen anything like that in a club. The fact is, guys will go where the girls are, it's primal instinct! It doesn't work so well the other way around, so the floor you're aiming at the guys will be a bit of a damp squid I'd have thought?

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! :bang:

...it's the exceptions to the rules that help it to work (lads in the girl's room, lasses in the boy's room, etc.).

Have you seen any Indie/Alternative nights where there are no females present? Or discos with no straight males?

BeerFunk
02-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Have you seen any Indie/Alternative nights where there are no females present? Or discos with no straight males?
The difference is, your idea will split them up in the same venue.

And in answer to your question, yes there are less girls at an indie/alternative night, in general. And you will not find your average blonde bimbo (no offence intended to anyone in particular*) at one of these nights, nor the queues of guys chasing them. Which brings me to the answer to your second point, straight males will go anywhere if there are girls there.

Maybe your idea will work, but I reckon you will have more success fielding two floors playing 'neutral' music.

Corabar Steve
02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
And in answer to your question, yes there are less girls at an indie/alternative night, in general.

Not the ones that I, Pagan Flame or Creature go to.

BeerFunk
02-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Not the ones that I, Pagan Flame or Creature go to.
Yeah, but I wasn't really counting you! :p :sofa:

Corabar Steve
02-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Well I can't vouch for the other 2, but I go to some of the biggest ones in London / the country, plenty of girls there.

flatliners
03-10-2007, 12:32 AM
you could get a named dj to to a set i am not talking judge jules or pete tong but someone who people know you could get someone like flip and fill dont think they would cost that much
you could have a dj mix comp people send you there mixes and then you have heats over say a month then on the fith week the final and the prize could be to be main dj in one of the rooms of your club and some cash
you could hire a foam mc or have a popcorn party
make it girls get in free all night then the lads will come
topless barmaids

BeerFunk
03-10-2007, 12:55 AM
topless barmaids
Bit upmarket, ain't it? ;) :eek:

Ricesnaps
03-10-2007, 06:59 AM
I could be wrong, but as a promoter aren't you responsible for one of the licences involved?

Which one would that be Steve? Are we talking PPL or something like that?

As for splitting the floors - the upper deck doesn't have a DJ, it's more of a chill area with a bar - the club really isn't that huge, 300 would be a good number to get in I think

pagan_flame
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah, but I wasn't really counting you!

Oh really? I'm resident at a bimonthly rock / metal night - here's some pix from the last couple...

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goojul07/DSC01151.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goosep07/Picture%20041.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goosep07/Picture%20013.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/gooaug07/Picture%20034.jpg

Anyhow - Ricey, what you need to do is provide an alternative to the rest of the clubs. If there are loads of chavvy R 'n B clubs / party nights locally, do an indie / rock night. Then you can charge on the door, as the people coming will be happy to pay 3 or 4 quid to get in to get away from the chavs / R 'n B!

We can't get a Cambridge club to give us a Friday or Saturday for rock music - it's either indie, chart or R 'n B. To make money you've got to go for something mainstream, not minority interest.

If you make it free entry, you will just get filled up with power drinkers who want to carry on drinking after the pubs shut - with all the problems that come with them. In 6 years of DJing and organising rock clubs in Cambridge, I have seen just one fight... started by one of the aforementioned power drinkers doing a 'Chav Mastermind' on a bemused punter that he thought Was Looking At Him Funny.

Also think that you'll need to promote it - i.e. for an indie / rock night, you'll need to be flyering outside gigs... and whatever the music you can get it in the local paper and on the local radio station for free.

Next rock night I'm doing is this Friday in Cambridge if you wanted to come have a look / chat.

It's FREE to get in... :beer1: (PM for details if you want to come)

Vectis
03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Well as it's a small-numbers kinda place, are there any gay clubs nearby?

If not you could give that a try... then the music can be as cheesy or elaborate as you wish and you avoid the fights / pewk / riff-raff aspect. But then I suspect your lager sales would be down too :o

Oh this is so hard without the stereotypes rising to the fore but you know what I'm trying to say... :zip:

Dragonfly
03-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh really? I'm resident at a bimonthly rock / metal night - here's some pix from the last couple...

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goojul07/DSC01151.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goosep07/Picture%20041.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/goosep07/Picture%20013.jpg

http://www.churchofnoise.com/images/gooaug07/Picture%20034.jpg

2 things ........ sponsored by strongbow??? and please can i come nextime? :D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
you could have a dj mix comp people send you there mixes Which would be a breach of copyright

topless barmaidsClassy

Which one would that be Steve? Are we talking PPL or something like that?
I think so, either that or PRS, not 100%, but /i know I read somewhere that an event's promoter is responsible for a licence

I agree with Pagan FLame, you do need something different to what's going on locally, although this will involve market research (if there is demand for something or not being a prime factor)

Shakermaker Promotions
03-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I have the answer for you and it's been touched on just slightly already.
If the other clubs in the area are all doing roughly the same thing and playing to the likes of the RnB, Chart and Dance crowd then you MUST do something different. It depends on what age you are aiming at I suppose but there are 2 immediate thoughts that I had when I saw this thread and if I was in the same position then I would go for either or both of these. In fact I have, I promote at a local venue twice a month and promote 2 different nights. One is my Indie/Alternative night called 'Shakermaker' (of course) and the other is a retro night called 'Back to the future'. Both nights are at capacity every time I do them. The capacity is only 200 but the deal I have is that I put in all the kit and pay for the hire of the place (£100) and I charge on the door. The venue take the bar money. I stagger the door prices so for example : £3 before 10.30pm / £4 before Midnight and £5 after Midnight..Last entry is 1.00am and the venue closes at 2.00am.

I won't say figures (pm if you want to know) but I will say that I do very well out of these nights. I have purposely run them on friday nights because fridays are generally harder (round here anyway) to get private work which then leaves saturdays for private work. It doesn't matter where you are in the country, there will always be a need for the 'Alternative' side of things. People want something different and not everyone wants to go to the big clubs that cater for (as someone said...), the 'chav' market.

As far as "girls not going to Indie/Alternative nights" etc...I can honestly say that is wrong in my opinion as when it comes to these nights (the ones I do anyway), there are loads of girls. I think the reason being is that people go to these nights because they simply enjoy the music and it's not a case of going out on the pull and getting drunk and having a ruck etc...which is what tends to happen in the 'chav' venues (not all of them).

With the retro side of things, it appeals to everyone plus the older crowd too and I find that my night is really popular because there are so many genres you can play...I also put on my flyers etc that it is "Request Driven" which gives the punters a chance to request what they want to hear.

Another idea that I have thought about in the past is what they do in London but I haven't got round to it yet and that is a thing called 'Punk Rock Karaoke' it's simply and Alternative karaoke which could be added to an Indie/Alternative night. No cheesy songs, No Frank Sinatra or Robbie Williams wannabe's...just people singing along to Indie/Rock tunes etc...I've seen it work well but I don't do karaoke anymore...If you do karaoke then maybe it's worth thinking about?

Lastly, promotion wise...It's hard to get it up and running so local press can help etc but once it is up and running and established (whatever you choose to do in the end), then put your web details on the flyers etc...this will direct people to your website. Why not design a page on your website advertising your night etc etc...It's also a good way of getting more work, I have had loads of private bookings via my club work.

Apologies for the long reply...If you want any advice etc...let me know.

Corabar Steve
03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Some very good points there Gary.

Can you clarify the situation on the licences?

Shakermaker Promotions
03-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I can only speak from what it is like on my side mate but the venue has the PRS and also their own PLI but I have my PLI and that's all I really need. I just set up my kit as I would do any function and I DJ the nights myself.

When I hire the venue, the door staff and bar staff are all included in the price.

Corabar Steve
03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm fairly certain that it's the PPL that you as a promoter have to have, any ideas on that?

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm fairly certain that it's the PPL that you as a promoter have to have, any ideas on that?

If you are selling tickets then yes.

Shakermaker Promotions
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
As I know it mate, the venue have all of that stuff. I don't do tickets, I just do 'pay on the door' nights.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2007, 09:37 AM
As I know it mate, the venue have all of that stuff. I don't do tickets, I just do 'pay on the door' nights.

Isn't that the same thing?

If you are charging people for entry then you are liable for the licence.

Corabar Steve
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
If you are selling tickets then yes.

Advance sales only or any admission payment?

Shakermaker Promotions
03-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't know. I have never had any problems with it and the venue is a venue that is promoter friendly, in that I mean that every single night that is put on there is done via a promoter. I'm not too sure mate but it could be that as promoters we are working on behalf of the venue and so are covered anyway? I really don't know but I will look into that and find out and get back to you as if it needs to be done then I will do it. I am positive though that if it were needed by myself then I would have been asked for it or told about it before?

I look it as they are letting me hire the place (with me paying) but also booking me in a roundabout kinda way so maybe that covers it and gets round that?

pagan_flame
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
2 things ........ sponsored by strongbow??? and please can i come nextime?Actually that venue is sponsored by Red Stripe (see bottom photo)... of course you can come, next one is this Friday at The Barfly Club (http://www.barflyclub.com/cambridge/whatson/event/13292.aspx) @ The Graduate pub in Cambridge, 8-12mn, free entry. :beer1:

CRS1.com
16-10-2007, 09:55 PM
How about an over 30's night as us old people never go out and when asked most of us would!

70's/80's Funk, Soul and Disco with a smattering of modern stuff too.... Ahh Nice:beerchug:

Maybe even tribute acts when the revenue has built up a bit?:Blues Brothers:

What about a comedy night and disco afterwards, always good earners as you could get £10 per head if you had good comedians - and most of them will work cheap to practice their skills.

Singles nights - Just hook up with ALL the local singles clubs/groups and offer a discount on entry and assure quality...
:boy_hug: :girl_hug:

Corabar Entertainment
16-10-2007, 10:09 PM
80's Jazz Funk..... my idea of hell!!!! :eek: :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-10-2007, 10:13 PM
80's Jazz Funk..... my idea of hell!!!! :eek: :eek:

Guess what I'm playing in my car on the way to BPM? :D

Corabar Steve
16-10-2007, 10:16 PM
How about an over 30's night as us old people never go out and when asked most of us would!

70's/80's Funk, Soul and Disco with a smattering of modern stuff too.... Ahh Nice:beerchug:

80's Jazz Funk..... my idea of hell!!!! :eek: :eek:Funny that, I was going to say Purgatory

Guess what I'm playing in my car on the way to BPM? :D
Glad I'm working :sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Glad I'm working :sj:

Me too. :sj: