PDA

View Full Version : Web Site

bluishbob
08-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I have bitten the bullet and have decided to det up a web site. I hadn't so far because of the cost (around £12 a month) however i have a found contact who can hoast it for me for free, and so i only pay the domain (£3 per year).

So.........

What are your top tips, things you like, things you don't like, things that work, things that don't, musts, must nots, essentuals, good ideas........you get the point.

Many thanks

BeerFunk
08-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I have bitten the bullet and have decided to det up a web site. I hadn't so far because of the cost (around £12 a month) however i have a found contact who can hoast it for me for free, and so i only pay the domain (£3 per year).

So.........

What are your top tips, things you like, things you don't like, things that work, things that don't, musts, must nots, essentuals, good ideas........you get the point.

Many thanks
Tip #1 - spelling! :p

No, I'd say the best thing you can do is take a look at as many websites of members here that you can be bothered to! You will get an idea yourself as to what looks good, and what doesn't - and try to view it from a potential customer's perspective :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
And don't put horrible animated gifs or naff music on there either. Yuk!

Corabar Steve
08-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Free hosting may involve pop ups all over the place, something to look into.

Nobody does anything for nothing.

Vectis
08-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Mine's hosted with Weycrest for about £18 per year. Plenty of storage, fast reliable access and extra goodies like MySQL. Bargain :o

Thames Valley Discos
08-10-2007, 10:23 PM
mines with fasthosts £3 month with dedicated pop3 email etc

BeerFunk
08-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Wasn't there a thread once with everyone's pet hates about websites on it? Or did I just make that up?

Have a disco
08-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Im gonna go with my website designers Devmac.co.uk well worth it for the first year apart from that checkout other providers of disco's as to what your site should be like. By all means refer to mine it has had nothing but praise all apart from the games page which is still work in progress

PropellerHeadCase
08-10-2007, 10:26 PM
And don't be surprised if free hosting for the cost of administering the domain name means lots of server down-time ;)

rob1963
08-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Wasn't there a thread once with everyone's pet hates about websites on it? Or did I just make that up?

There was indeed.

I started it, and from memory I think there were over 100 replies.

I think the title was something like "What are the worst things you've seen on mobile disco websites?"

Maybe a search will bring it up for you, Bob.

:)

rob1963
08-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Nobody does anything for nothing.

True, although if I charged what I'm worth, then I'd be doing mobile discos for nothing!

:rolleyes:

Corabar Steve
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
:offtopic:

Shaun
09-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Hire a professional web site designer (unless you have good design and SEO skills)
Pay the extra for extremely reliable hosting (do your research)
Avoid over-clutterering your website
Avoid tacky animated gifs and music on your website
Take inspiration from other sites but DO NOT steal or copy from others

Best of luck with your new website venture. :approve: :)

bluishbob
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks, i do, the person who is hosting it builds them for a living.

I will do some research.

Thanks for all your help