PDA

View Full Version : Xmas-Charge extra?

scoopd
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Just curious as to what the average percentage mark up is for Christmas or do most of you guys just charge the same?

A hot potato I know:) :) :) :cool:

Shaun
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't charge extra for the christmas period. The exception (if I worked them) would be Christmas Eve/Day & New Years Eve/Day.

scoopd
12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Shaun,
Thanks for that.It will be interesting to see if the others are the same.
Or maybe some charge less!

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I charge slightly less, as most of my functions are for regular clients and are all office parties, so I need to give them a decent price.

Vectis
12-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't charge extra per se for Christmas, but I don't take out my cheapest rigs during December either. I decided to do this because you get seen by a lot of folks who don't get out that often and you want to impress them - because they're possibly next year's customers.

Also because where I live is a seasonal kinda place, my rates vary according to the month of the year. December is the same rate as July & August (our tourist season) so is high anyway.

Already fully booked Thu/Fri/Sat aside from Sat 15th and a provisional on Fri 21st needing confirming and I'm now taking Sunday bookings too so it's gonna be a busy old time!

NYE is double time, small rig only.

Sam
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Just curious as to what the average percentage mark up is for Christmas or do most of you guys just charge the same?

A hot potato I know:) :) :) :cool:

I don't charge any extra for disco gigs.. (and my pices do not depend on the package or size of the rig).

I don't do anything on Christmas Day or Boxing Day... theatre or disco related.

And I would charge a lot more for New Years Eve... but only because I like to be in the theatre on that day.. have a few drinks with the techys and actors.. and then head on home and do the 'family thing'... so it needs to be a lot to convince me to do it :)

screamersTess
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I charge extra for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve but most of the other bookings in December are for regulars as already mentioned on this thread so if I want to keep their business, and of course I do, then what good would putting the prices up do me?

The main reason for the increase on Christmas and New Years Eve is the longer hours and one in particular, although regular, goes from being the normal 4 hours to 7 hours!

theoloyla
12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Me too. Extra for Xmas Eve, Day and NYE but otherwise as normal.

funkymike
12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Me too. Extra for Xmas Eve, Day and NYE but otherwise as normal.

same as

scoopd
12-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Very interesting and useful-thanks guys

Corabar Entertainment
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Although it may sound contradictory, we do the same as BOTH Shaun and Darren...
I don't charge extra for the christmas period. The exception (if I worked them) would be Christmas Eve/Day & New Years Eve/Day.(with the inclusion of Boxing Day in that list) and...
I charge slightly less, as most of my functions are for regular clients and are all office parties, so I need to give them a decent price.

What I mean is, we have a mixture of hotel bookings and private bookings... the private bookings get charged the same during December as they would the rest of the year, whilst the hotel bookings get a 'bulk discount' and so are slightly cheaper than regular bookings - but everyone pays more than they normally would if they book a gig on Christmas Eve/Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve/Day.... if that makes sense to you!

Penfold42
12-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't charge extra for the christmas period. The exception (if I worked them) would be Christmas Eve/Day & New Years Eve/Day.

:agree:

1st year in and i've thought about this a lot.
Sooooooo........if people book you christmas time the chances are they may book you again the following year if the price is right!!

I'm now going to get shot down.................:D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
13-10-2007, 01:47 AM
- but everyone pays more than they normally would if they book a gig on Christmas Eve/Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve/Day.... if that makes sense to you!

& I'm working all of the above except NYD http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-9560.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

rob1963
14-10-2007, 09:59 PM
All my advertising is aimed at the wedding market, so I get none of my own work in December at all, apart from the occasional wedding.

The gigs I do in December are virtually all agency bookings for a colleague of mine. He charges less than me in the first place, and also takes his agency fee.

This results in me only getting about 60% of what I charge for my own bookings during the year, and on new years eve I get little more than my normal fee for an average wedding.

However, this is still preferable to the other option...which is not to work at all in December (apart from my regular pub quiz nights).