PDA

View Full Version : iPod Wedding

DJ Frankie
15-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi Folks

Been surfing the wedding forums and came across a thread about ipod weddings.
Now most of the brides on this thread were saying that a dj was tacky and wasn’t right for there wedding day UNTIL a DJ came on and pasted this clip onto the thread and said "Now redefine the word tacky" Guess what no one has replied.

This is embarrassing to watch. :bang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXj4P3iz2yg

CRAZY K
15-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Folks

Been surfing the wedding forums and came across a thread about ipod weddings.
Now most of the brides on this thread were saying that a dj was tacky and wasn’t right for there wedding day UNTIL a DJ came on and pasted this clip onto the thread and said "Now redefine the word tacky" Guess what no one has replied.

This is embarrassing to watch. :bang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXj4P3iz2yg

We have seen this before, few months ago---its not embarrassing --its a good sales tool for genuine professional DJs and Entertainers:D

Frankly from my experiences over this weekend working with Wedding DJs confirms what most of us already think ( I think;)

You get what you pay for ---generally speaking.

As in most things in life.

CRAZY K

DJ Frankie
15-10-2007, 10:29 AM
We have seen this before, few months ago---its not embarrassing --its a good sales tool for genuine professional DJs and Entertainers

Doh!!! I didn’t realise someone had already put this video up, my apologies :bang:

It is cringe worthy to watch though. :p

You get what you pay for ---generally speaking.

I agree.

Corabar Entertainment
15-10-2007, 05:26 PM
If it were me answering on that forum, I'd be interested to know WHAT the brides think is tacky about a DJ and try and answer their concerns (ie they probably have the impression that all mobile DJs are 'Dave Double Decks' with very tacky-looking kit... ie the battle we are fighting everywhere!)

spin mobile disco
15-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Dave double decks? they have 2? I've seen dj's with ony 1 deck and lots of dead time lol. Nearly wet myself lol.

Tom
15-10-2007, 05:42 PM
i dont see the point of having a IPOD wedding. I think its just trying to save cash but i always thought that you go all out on your wedding???

CRAZY K
15-10-2007, 06:23 PM
i dont see the point of having a IPOD wedding. I think its just trying to save cash but i always thought that you go all out on your wedding???

Some clients think they know better--

Most dont of course--but then its too late:eek:

CRAZY K

Impactdisco
15-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I couldn't watch all of the video as it was so cringeworthy

djsteve10
15-10-2007, 07:17 PM
yeah same here, it's another american money saving idea

robbiedj
15-10-2007, 07:27 PM

We have just done a wedding where, after booking the actual ceremony, the disco was the first thing booked. We took the booking, knowing only that the function would be in a post code area and the number of guests, enough to quote. We had been recommended by a venue they had considered.

Some people do think that the entertainment is important. At the end of the evening the bride thanked us and said it had been perfect.

djsteve10
15-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Well entertainment does play a big part in the wedding day,

top your big day with a professional dj playing all yours and your guests favourite tracks,

Excalibur
15-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Well entertainment does play a big part in the wedding day,

top your big day with a professional dj playing all yours and your guests favourite tracks,

I totally agree, and yet I get many bookings in my residencies ( grand term, not so grand in reality) where my first contact is as they walk through the door on the night! Either they trust me implicitly, or ??????????? :confused:

rob1963
15-10-2007, 10:56 PM
i dont see the point of having a IPOD wedding. I think its just trying to save cash but I always thought that you go all out on your wedding???

Fortunately for us, most people DO, but there will always be exceptions, and I wonder how many of those who do their wedding on the cheap regret it afterwards?

Probably the majority.

As for that video, I honestly can't remember the last time something made me cringe so much.

secretDISCO
16-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I was the person who left some criticism on this forum,simply bringing to the fore what future brides perception of "The wedding DJ".
As mentioned before you really have to educate these people.

Veiw it for yourself (Melissa is a CRACKER ) :bang: :bang: :bang:

http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/wedding-forum/index.php?showtopic=5527

Your thoughts please

djsteve10
16-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Wedding entertainment plays a big part in the wedding day, i think what is turning people to the Ipod wedding idea is that they know somebody or have seen a Dj who hasn't performed too well and done it on the cheap... In my opinion i think this is what has started the idea.

BeerFunk
16-10-2007, 06:38 PM
That particular video was an example of the idea put into practice in the least effective way. I think it could work for some weddings, where they just want some cheesy party music. Not all weddings are bloated, over the top affairs.

soundmaster mobile disco
16-10-2007, 07:55 PM
How ridiculous is this ipod thing?.Only the americans can come up with an idea like this.Whats the point in spending thousands on your wedding arrangements ie dress, cake,food,toast, and then making a complete fool of yourself in front of your guests when it comes to the entertainment.I think everyone will go away talking about your wedding reception for all the wrong reasons after seeing this.

djsteve10
16-10-2007, 08:30 PM
oh yes, look at it this way your guests are the biggest critics that you are ever going to face at your wedding too...

This ipod idea yes it would work for music during the wedding breakfast or something where the couple can setup their favourite tracks for during the wedding breakfast but not as evening entertainment. No way

rob1963
16-10-2007, 10:37 PM
The ipod wedding might SOUND like a good idea to some couples in THEORY, but in reality it's a false economy...BIG TIME!

So they have their ipod.....but how much will it cost to hire speakers, amplifiers, lighting effects & the appropriate trussing & stands?

Then there's the hassle of getting the gear there & setting it all up.

Apart from that, won't there be a gap between the songs?

Also, what about the fact that an ipod can't make announcements, interact with the crowd, take requests or read the crowd to ensure the right songs are played at the right time?

A few hundred pounds is a small price to pay for a professional disco and a DJ to provide musical entertainment for the entire evening.

If only more people appreciated this.

secretDISCO
17-10-2007, 08:02 AM
I have enquired over the last 24 hrs and the cheapest i-pod set up to hire in the UK is £180 + Vat. and thats with a bond or deposit of £300.
The set-up is small i-pod 1 amp and 2 (200 watt) speakers.
On another wedding forum some chick has told her "Buddies" that her wedding cake has just cost her £3000, baked by a top chef in London with the best ingredients...............is it me ??????????? :rolleyes:

rob1963
17-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I have enquired over the last 24 hrs and the cheapest i-pod set up to hire in the UK is £180 + Vat.

Very interesting.

So including VAT the cheapest iPod set up costs £211.50 to hire.

I wonder if that also includes any lighting?

My standard disco is only £38.50 more than that...a very small price to pay for a professional disco with over 20 years experience.

If someone would rather hire an iPod & do it themselves, then good luck to them...they'll certainly need it!

DJ Frankie
17-10-2007, 08:21 AM
On another wedding forum some chick has told her "Buddies" that her wedding cake has just cost her £3000, baked by a top chef in London with the best ingredients...............is it me ???????????

We dont stand a chance do we.

What I can’t understand is why the DJ is ALWAYS questioned on these wedding forums and 9 times out of 10 branded as tacky?
I have attended weddings in the past where the B&G will happily pay up to
£2k+ for a live band without them even questioning there set up or there ability to entertain a crowd?????

Penfold42
17-10-2007, 08:22 AM
If someone would rather hire an iPod & do it themselves, then good luck to them...they'll certainly need it!

:agree:

''Have a nice Wedding''...:)

Vectis
17-10-2007, 08:36 AM
So including VAT the cheapest iPod set up costs £211.50 to hire.

Actually I can get it down to £175 (http://www.vectisvibe.com/easyestimates/Qtopjr.php)inclusive of audio, lighting AND an engineer on a weekday evening in January at a preferred venue.

More realistically, a Saturday wedding in July with a 1am finish costs out at £290.

Gear is basically my (unbranded) small rig manned by my son (roadie) and there are a subset of Ts & Cs regarding what and what isn't allowed & acceptable etc..

First time out this coming Saturday, and two enquiries for next summer so it's obviously something folks want...

CRAZY K
17-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Actually I can get it down to £175 (http://www.vectisvibe.com/easyestimates/Qtopjr.php)inclusive of audio, lighting AND an engineer on a weekday evening in January at a preferred venue.

More realistically, a Saturday wedding in July with a 1am finish costs out at £290.

Gear is basically my (unbranded) small rig manned by my son (roadie) and there are a subset of Ts & Cs regarding what and what isn't allowed & acceptable etc..

First time out this coming Saturday, and two enquiries for next summer so it's obviously something folks want...

Good luck to you VV with that project---

When it comes to Weddings though I think it tends to be a different mind set-

There seems to be a certain number of Band Gs out there who realise that if they pay peanuts they will not get the best disco around OR EVEN A BAD ONE so they are willing to look at more expensive sophisticated and professional solutions.

Must admit I agree completely with Rob-- I prefer putting prices upfront on the website---this has certainly cut out a lot of the time wasters and e mail quotes that come to nothing---in fact I now refuse to give email quotes on Weddings--I have to speak to people first otherwise--as you might expect---enquiries have gone down---but bookings have gone up:D

CRAZY K

Vectis
17-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Good luck to you VV with that project---

Yep - never been a luddite - always embrace new technology! I'll let you know how it goes.

When it comes to Weddings though I think it tends to be a different mind set-

There seems to be a certain number of Band Gs out there who realise that if they pay peanuts they will not get the best disco around OR EVEN A BAD ONE so they are willing to look at more expensive sophisticated and professional solutions.

Absolutely agree, hence structuring my packages as 'Junior', 'Premier' and 'Platinum' and targeting both ends of the spectrum as well as allowing those at the lower end to upgrade and those at the top end to save a few quid by offering the middle-ground 'Premier' option.

Must admit I agree completely with Rob-- I prefer putting prices upfront on the website---this has certainly cut out a lot of the time wasters and e mail quotes that come to nothing---in fact I now refuse to give email quotes on Weddings--I have to speak to people first otherwise--as you might expect---enquiries have gone down---but bookings have gone up:D

Since putting the quote generator online I've received a lot less 'how much for a disco' calls and a lot more pre-qualified leads - it's been a roaring success and well worth doing in my opinion - probably the most effective part of the website even ahead of the requests thing and online payments. Before they pick up the phone or email you, many customers now have a price in their head and know which options they do and don't want to discuss.