PDA

View Full Version : Gig entirely of party songs???

Marc J
18-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I was at a wedding last week, and it struck me very early on that the DJ was playing one party track after another....

With the exception of: -

Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

None were recent at all. I'm talking a whole night (or at least the four hours I was there) of stuff like: -

Cha Cha Slide
Time Warp
Is This the Way to Amarillo
Shangalang
etc. etc...

Now I don't know if the B&G had specifically requested a 4 hour party stint, and fair play to the DJ if they did because he actually pulled it off without anyone hitting him ;)

Or maybe they didn't ask for it, and he's the DJ with the smallest music budget ever (about 2 tracks a year if he's lucky?).

Is this normal???? I don't get to many weddings.....they tend to bring me out in a rash :)

Shaun
18-10-2007, 03:44 PM
I was at a wedding last week, and it struck me very early on that the DJ was playing one party track after another....

Is this normal???? I don't get to many weddings.....they tend to bring me out in a rash :)

His playlist does seem a little clichéd, and very different from the type of event I provide (unless requested by the client). From a personal viewpoint I'd say it wasn't normal, but to be perfectly honest I've not seen too many other mobile DJ's in action. The downside of working almost every weekend means that I don't attend too many functions where I'm not the DJ.

discomobiledj
18-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Why didn't they ask you to do it?

Danno13
18-10-2007, 03:57 PM
It depends on your definition of party songs.. i avoid stuff like cha cha slide etc. unless I'm asked for it, but to me a party song is anything that people will usually dance to..

jacksons, bee gees, abba, diana ross etc. and even scissor sisters and fratellis I play at most gigs...

Penfold42
18-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Who Marc J??
He's not a DJ..... i think........??:)

Marc J
18-10-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm not a DJ :D

EDIT: Tony beat me to it :)

It depends on your definition of party songs..

Anything with a silly dance attached? I think he did the lot with the exception of Agadoo (thank God).

Penfold42
18-10-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm not a DJ :D

EDIT: Tony beat me to it :)

Although i think you would do a good job at it...IMO:)

Same as Danno.......
I will play -
Cha Cha Slide
Time Warp
Is This the Way to Amarillo
Shangalang

...if asked but tend to mix it around until i find the right target and response.....looking for crowd movement...:)

Ah right....now i'm being slow.........that does seem strange to play that all night......

Marc J
18-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Although i think you would do a good job at it...IMO:)

Too long out of it to be honest....wasted from 14 - 24 in nightclubs with plenty opportunities to DJ but it didn't interest me then and doesn't now.

I'm only just beginning to be able enjoy a night out without criticising something about the DJ / Lights / Management...and that's after more than 10 years out of it :cool:

Danno13
18-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Anything with a silly dance attached? I think he did the lot with the exception of Agadoo (thank God).

In that case, its definatley not the norm.. I don't think I could even think of enough action songs to fill 2 hours, let alone 4!

Marc J
18-10-2007, 04:26 PM
In that case, its definatley not the norm.. I don't think I could even think of enough action songs to fill 2 hours, let alone 4!

That's what I thought - you'd be surprised :D

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Most weddings i have done recently have been a mix of 70's 80's and now... very rare that i play alot of party stuff... just do the odd track like whigfield - saturday night, Scissor sisters, ect

Have a disco
18-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Must admit that the DMC party box sets do mean it is feasibly possible to do a 4 hour set of non stop partymusic, if played in right order just remember they do have 6 of these box sets and thats without current party tunes?????

TonyB
18-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Now I don't know if the B&G had specifically requested a 4 hour party stint, and fair play to the DJ if they did because he actually pulled it off without anyone hitting him ;)

When you say "he pulled it off" do you mean that people were dancing or was the dance floor half empty/empty for most of the night?

Weirdest wedding I done was several years ago where the only music the guests would dance to was Chas 'n Dave and Sing a Long with Max

BeerFunk
18-10-2007, 06:30 PM
It depends on your definition of party songs.. i avoid stuff like cha cha slide etc. unless I'm asked for it, but to me a party song is anything that people will usually dance to..

jacksons, bee gees, abba, diana ross etc. and even scissor sisters and fratellis I play at most gigs...I follow the same gameplan. Middle cheese, not top :)

Marc J
18-10-2007, 06:31 PM
When you say "he pulled it off" do you mean that people were dancing or was the dance floor half empty/empty for most of the night?

The dance floor was usually at least half full...surprisingly.

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 06:39 PM
The dance floor was usually at least half full...surprisingly.

Not that bad if you have the right crowd for it... can be good fun but 4 hours of cheese seems abit much

Larry B Entertainment
18-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I have done many a disco where people have requested plenty of party and cheese and they have loved it. I have had grown men doing agadoo and the birdie song, its amazing what alcohol can do for a guys personality. Its becoming more and more popular again now. Give me that over Rnb anyday.

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I have done many a disco where people have requested plenty of party and cheese and they have loved it. I have had grown men doing agadoo and the birdie song, its amazing what alcohol can do for a guys personality. Its becoming more and more popular again now. Give me that over Rnb anyday.

Can't say i have experienced this myself... As cheesy as my music gets is Black Lace - Gimme Some

Don't like playing agadoo or the birdie song, never have done and never will unless somebody asks for it

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Its becoming more and more popular again now. Give me that over Rnb anyday.

Not sure I'd go that far...;)

I have found a few more people asking for the really cheesy stuff this year too. I'm not quite sure why though.

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I find that i am playing less cheese less and less every time

Larry B Entertainment
18-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Doesnt get much cheesier than Blacklace. Put gang bang on and....well....it always seems to go down well, especially among the ladies :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I find that i am playing less cheese less and less every time

Do you not do weddings then? :p

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Do you not do weddings then? :p

Yeah i do weddings, Alot that i do dont require alot of cheese but play alot of pop stuff like scissor sisters, Mika ect.

robbiedj
18-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah i do weddings, Alot that i do dont require alot of cheese but play alot of pop stuff like scissor sisters, Mika ect.

Sorry, in my book they are rapidly turning into cheese. If 50+ ladies request it, it's cheese!

BeerFunk
18-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Scissor Sisters and Mika are cheese yes, just because they are newish doesn't make them exempt!

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 07:27 PM
i don't think they are that cheesy to be honest more pop chart stuff

Larry B Entertainment
18-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Cheese. 3 words...The ketchup song :D

djsteve10
18-10-2007, 07:44 PM
or the fast food song

Larry B Entertainment
18-10-2007, 07:57 PM
or Barbie Girl.

spin mobile disco
18-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I have been asked for a whole cheese filled evening before, to be honest I found it quite hard going. People loved it I just started to run out of ideas for it after 2 hours lol.
First wedding i've ever done that the B&G requested birdy song to follow first dance.. AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Survived and have now almost erazed memory of it :)

PropellerHeadCase
21-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Or maybe they didn't ask for it, and he's the DJ with the smallest music budget ever (about 2 tracks a year if he's lucky?).

And the contender... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gEspviD70)

Corabar Steve
21-10-2007, 10:55 AM

I like the "intimate" location of the bride & groom's table :sj: on a brightly lit stage, in front of 100 or so guests. Real intimate :sj:

robbiedj
21-10-2007, 11:02 AM
And there's nothing like having a nice light up by the decks.

But, seriously, his music may be pure stilton, but the guests are dancing and enjoying it.

Job done, then.

Dragonfly
21-10-2007, 11:03 AM

is that people dancing in the distance?? :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
21-10-2007, 11:20 AM
What was the second track? the one between Macarena & Clapton?

Larry B Entertainment
21-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Im watching it now. Quite interesting so far about 2 mins in.

Larry B Entertainment
21-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Cant fault him really. People dancing and having a good time. I have done worst weddings where people will just not more no matter what you do.

Can understand why they didnt move that long table which was still on the dance fllor taking up potential dancing space.

Corabar Steve
21-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Those crazy yanks :sj: