PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when the karaoke night is dead?

cara
25-10-2007, 10:40 AM
hello everyone

we had a karaoke gig last night scheduled to start at the same time as the football, basicaly to cut a long story short, no-one wanted to sing, i felt as if i was :Censored: people off by playing music & karaoke as they're trying to watch the match, then when the match finished, and Liverpool got beat, 90% of the pub left, and again no-one wanted to sing after watching their team lose.

what would you have done in this situation?

Dragonfly
25-10-2007, 11:07 AM
simple ......"When you walk through a storm hold your head up high......."

would have sung that followed by ring of fire if they were liverpool fans ..... should have got them back on side...

on a slightly more serious note i think i would have done a few numbers just to try and get the mood lifted ...then hopefully they would have got going because you were obviously trying and worked with you , or just thought you were that bad at singing that more got up to shut you up... :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I would entertain people by singing and chatting. This is why I've said before that if you run karaoke you simply have to have a lot of front and be able to do things like that.

BeerFunk
25-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Ummm..... in a nutshell, the karaoke shouldn't have been on at the same time as the football! And if the result is a bad one, there's little you can do, as most of the fans will just want to go home in a mood (trust me on that one!). I wouldn't worry about it, some things are out of your control.

funkymike
25-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Ummm..... in a nutshell, the karaoke shouldn't have been on at the same time as the football! And if the result is a bad one, there's little you can do, as most of the fans will just want to go home in a mood (trust me on that one!). I wouldn't worry about it, some things are out of your control.

Yep, from experience, I dont do any karaoke thats related to a sports event for the very same reason

and I got a lot of front:D

Mike

DJWayne
26-10-2007, 12:44 PM
i agree with whats above not every karaoke night you get booked for is busy for whatever reason i.e the football is on , they didn't advertise it etc.

I usually sing a lot more if its quiet use it as a chance to try out some new songs as a sort of practise night as when you have a busy night you are lucky to sing at all. You do need a bit of front and one thing i tend to do to break the ice is to nick a few funny videos off youtube or other websites and randomly play them throughout the night as a bit of comdey is one hell of an icebreaker :)

flatliners
26-10-2007, 04:46 PM
i know how you feel i did one when the legends newcastle united were playing at the holy ground st james park but the best think about it we won

mb3
28-10-2007, 06:02 PM
If the karaoke night is dead, I ask the manager and bar staff to have a go to break the ice. Failing that, I'll just play music, and invite people from time to time to sing if they want to.

It's a bit silly of a venue to pay us when they don't need us because of tv sport...

nigelwright7557
28-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I am doing a Karaoke this next friday night.
Anyone know where i can get some ear defenders ?

Corabar Steve
28-10-2007, 07:59 PM
All oldies then?

nigelwright7557
28-10-2007, 08:01 PM
:)

Why is it when people have had 6 pints they all think they can sing ?

Corabar Steve
28-10-2007, 08:12 PM
An alcoholic beverage (also known as booze in slang term) is a drink containing ethanol, commonly known as alcohol, although in chemistry the definition of alcohol includes many other compounds.

A significant blood alcohol content may be considered legal drunkenness as it reduces attention, lengthens reaction time and lowers inhibitions.

BeerFunk
28-10-2007, 10:16 PM
An alcoholic beverage (also known as booze in slang term) is a drink containing ethanol, commonly known as alcohol, although in chemistry the definition of alcohol includes many other compounds.

A significant blood alcohol content may be considered legal drunkenness as it reduces attention, lengthens reaction time and lowers inhibitions.
Aaaah.... that explains why I always think I can high jump any bin/fence/wall that I come across, and end up on the floor :rolleyes: :beer1:

JAMdisco
30-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I know this is slightly different but I did a disco a couple of weeks ago and the rugby final was on (England vs erm, can't remember - not a rugby fan myself).
Anyway - I set up my stuff in front of the big screen as told to by the pub landlord. he said "there's plenty more tv's around the pub if they wanna watch it". He did eventually ask me to take down the lighting bar and asked if I could wait til the match was over.

I sat around for nearly 2 hours and eventually went on at 9:50 and played til the usual time of midnight. Not a bad night work-wise but a bit daft of him to put on a disco the night of the rugby final.

As you will know - England lost but chumbawumba soon got all the spirits up.

cara
30-10-2007, 03:36 PM
hey keep these idea's coming please guys

we got asked back to the venue tomorrow, so it can't have been that bad

any ideas for how to start off the night would be much appreciated

DK Karaoke
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
hello everyone

we had a karaoke gig last night scheduled to start at the same time as the football, basicaly to cut a long story short, no-one wanted to sing, i felt as if i was :Censored: people off by playing music & karaoke as they're trying to watch the match, then when the match finished, and Liverpool got beat, 90% of the pub left, and again no-one wanted to sing after watching their team lose.

what would you have done in this situation?

Simple, what I do is either turn the football off (get the bar staff to do it), or turn the music up so loud then cant hear anything other than the music/karaoke, and also have a lot of bottle and get into the audience, with some wise cracks about football. etc., etc.,

I always insist that if I am doing karaoke at a pub, then its karaoke the punters are getting and not sport. If they wont go along with this, then I dont do the karaoke, and still get paid.

DJWilson
03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
ow dumb are the people that booked you and asked for karaoke?

becuase is it obivious liverpool would loss- against anyone. :)

but at least you stuck at it and tryed.

Hi, you could start off by making sure the T.V is off. :)

(jus noticed you posted a few days ago) :(

How did it go?

sandysounds
06-11-2007, 11:56 PM
:)

Why is it when people have had 6 pints they all think they can sing ?

....and the people listening who've had more than 6 pints think its good.... lol

I actually find it boring if all the singers are good.... far more fun if they can't........plus you've got more to banter on the mic about.....I f they can sing they tend to take it very seriously....if they can't they tend to treat it as a bit of fun....I prefer fun any day of the week!

Have a disco
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Bad planning by the management if they booked you when footie was on, but hey ho persivere as last night we won 8-0 dare say just the same amount would have left after the match ?????

Kernow
11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm with Sandy 100% on this.

Providing fun is part & parcel of entertainment, and certainly to my mind much more important than technical correctness.
I am very much 'interactive' whether it's Karaoke or DJ'ing, you'll often find me on the floor warbling or demonstrating 'Time Warp', 'YMCA' whatever.

I have a well worn line in "You know how you like to laugh at the bad ones on X-Factor.........well we wanna laugh at you !"
Seldom do I find a shortage of volunteers.

All this seems to work well at securing repeat bookings & recommendations for daring to be different from the 'Human Jukeboxes'

Reading a crowd is important, but becoming part of them is priceless.

Rob#2

sandysounds
12-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm with Sandy 100% on this.

Providing fun is part & parcel of entertainment, and certainly to my mind much more important than technical correctness.
I am very much 'interactive' whether it's Karaoke or DJ'ing, you'll often find me on the floor warbling or demonstrating 'Time Warp', 'YMCA' whatever.

I have a well worn line in "You know how you like to laugh at the bad ones on X-Factor.........well we wanna laugh at you !"
Seldom do I find a shortage of volunteers.

All this seems to work well at securing repeat bookings & recommendations for daring to be different from the 'Human Jukeboxes'

Reading a crowd is important, but becoming part of them is priceless.

Rob#2

This is spooky Rob......my sentiments entirely.....I dare to be different.....and I always warn potential clients that I'm not a human jukebox!

BeerFunk
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Simple, what I do is either turn the football off (get the bar staff to do it), or turn the music up so loud then cant hear anything other than the music/karaoke, and also have a lot of bottle and get into the audience, with some wise cracks about football. etc., etc.,
I'd love to see you try that in my local! :eek: :lol:

Kernow
12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
This is spooky Rob......my sentiments entirely.....I dare to be different.....and I always warn potential clients that I'm not a human jukebox!

Must be the Cornish Air Sandy ;)

Works well for me both when I'm DJ'ing and also in my alternative role as an Underground Tour Guide (with attitude !!)
I can be rude, sometimes bordering on offensive, but the crowds seem to lap it up & keep coming back for more.
Maybe they have become conditioned to 'normal' and find it a refreshing change ??

"It's a long way from Humdrum" ???:) :)

New Improved Rob Mk II :o

Have a disco
12-11-2007, 10:47 PM
People are suckers for abuse or being wound up at karaokes??? makes them wanna get up and prove you wrong especially when drunk. But subtle tact helps as well

screamersTess
13-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I would entertain people by singing and chatting. This is why I've said before that if you run karaoke you simply have to have a lot of front and be able to do things like that.

Totally agree - had one at the weekend and it was the quietest night I have ever had but we got through the evening, I got to make a complete prat of myself and try out a few new songs and eventually others had a go.

It's about not being afraid to take the mickey out of yourself and it's amazing how that breaks the ice

Kernow
13-11-2007, 05:18 PM
People are suckers for abuse or being wound up at karaokes??? makes them wanna get up and prove you wrong especially when drunk. But subtle tact helps as well

Agree totally
Just answering the Question which began this thread........wind 'em up & let 'em go !!!. It's not just D/K.J's who can let the music do the talking, given the opportunity 'Joe Public' can be exceptionally good at it too ;)

Provocation is the Mother of Karaoke, and as I'm sure you'll all agree, it's Father is 'unknown' ??

Rob #2