PDA

View Full Version : Virtual dj 5 and vista....ahhhhhh

mysteriesman
06-11-2007, 10:30 PM
has anybody else had problem with vdj5 in vista losing the database and for no reason not searching or adding all the tracks,
i have a brand new hp pc and dac 3, but sometimes when you try to load a track from the database you get errors and nothing will load.
other times you add a directory to the database and not all the track in the album show up,
Just curious if im being thick or if there is a fault somewhere that i have missed.....ta:mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
You might want to say hello in the newbies section first.

Have you got the latest revision of VDJ, which is 5.0 rev 5?

Are you adding all your tracks to the search database and recursing your folders each time?

Also, on the right hand side of the search box is a small circle, click that and make sure you have music ticked.

Tom
06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Darren..... we have another one :lol:

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Darren..... we have another one :lol:

Another one what? :confused:

mysteriesman
06-11-2007, 10:50 PM
You might want to say hello in the newbies section first.

Have you got the latest revision of VDJ, which is 5.0 rev 5?

Are you adding all your tracks to the search database and recursing your folders each time?

Also, on the right hand side of the search box is a small circle, click that and make sure you have music ticked.

have got all the relevant music checked and most of the time it works fine, but once in a while you try to load up a track and you just get error in the deck, and then nothing will play, so i have to shut vdj down for about 10 mins and then reopen and its fine again.
i have rev 5 loaded and although this rig is brand new and hasnt been gigged yet im concerned that it will do this at the start of a gig
cant find anything relative in the vitual dj forum

Tom
06-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Sorry. Another member who jumps in and start asking questions before saying a hello.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I know they had problems with databases, losing tags and even some Mp3s, but it seemed to sort mine out after rev4.

I think JamesH who comes on here maybe able to help more with this.

Having said all that, I've just realised that you are using Vista and most people I know who use VDJ are using XP.

Have you read up on any Vista problems on the VDJ forums?

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Sorry. Another member who jumps in and start asking questions before saying a hello.

Oh. :)

Well he has now!

flatliners
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
i remember i did that straight in at the deep end thats my motto

JAMdisco
07-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I run Virtual DJ revision 5 on vista and it works fine - am still in the (long-winded) process of ripping my CD's so haven't gigged with it properly yet, although did use it alongside my CD decks on Saturday and it worked a treat.

Just hoping that when I do use it wholely it doesn;t go wrong (although I do have CD back up).

mysteriesman
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I run Virtual DJ revision 5 on vista and it works fine - am still in the (long-winded) process of ripping my CD's so haven't gigged with it properly yet, although did use it alongside my CD decks on Saturday and it worked a treat.

Just hoping that when I do use it wholely it doesn;t go wrong (although I do have CD back up).

after sitting here till 3am and trawling the vdj forums, the problem apears to be dac3 related and there is a quick fix but not a permanent solution just yet. the problem occurs when the software tries to release the dac3 and it locks the system out deleting the registry keys for the file types....which means that when you next open the software it doesnt recognise the file types, hence the database errors.
the solution is to back up the registry keys to the desktop and before running vdj merging the backup file into the registry. I am hoping that atomix sort it out soon and will post it if they come up with a solution, i understand that for some people the software works fine and for otheres not. thanks for your help anyway guys.....watch this space:bang:

Excalibur
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
after sitting here till 3am and trawling the vdj forums, the problem apears to be dac3 related and there is a quick fix but not a permanent solution just yet. the problem occurs when the software tries to release the dac3 and it locks the system out deleting the registry keys for the file types....which means that when you next open the software it doesnt recognise the file types, hence the database errors.
the solution is to back up the registry keys to the desktop and before running vdj merging the backup file into the registry. I am hoping that atomix sort it out soon and will post it if they come up with a solution, i understand that for some people the software works fine and for otheres not. thanks for your help anyway guys.....watch this space:bang:

You know you're getting old, when you don't understand any part of a post like this!:confused: :confused:

sandysounds
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
You know you're getting old, when you don't understand any part of a post like this!:confused: :confused:

Basically what Rich is saying is....its broke!

djsteve10
07-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Why a DAC3 controller for vDJ? Why not get a Numark DMC2 for the same cost... alot better controller.. the best controller i have had yet and it works a treat.
Have had not a single problem with Numark Cue/Virtual Dj since running it with this controller

Have a disco
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
prehaps it works better is because the programme was written with the Numark in mind not the DAC3 which is meant for PCDJ programmes its only now both companies are having to rewrite the software for all forms of controllers including the newly introduced Denon controller??? as to make the software sellable to more controller machines also be usable for APPLE MACS and other computer programmes like Vista

Jiggles
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Dont you just love Vista :D:D

NOT!!! :D:D

Thames Valley Discos
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Why use vista on a disco PC?

pulsemobiledisco
07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Why use vista on a disco PC?

I agrree

Vista is far to resource hungry for a disco pc. Do you really need aero and all the other crap in vista to play music at a gig!!! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Why a DAC3 controller for vDJ? Why not get a Numark DMC2 for the same cost... alot better controller.. the best controller i have had yet and it works a treat.

And you've had a DAC-2 and DAC-3 to compare it to have you? :rolleyes:

djsteve10
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I used to have DAC 2 what came with the PCDJ software i bought... i went to upgrade and i had a DAC3 for a night and numark DMC2 for another night from my mates DJ shop... i kep the DMC2

Thames Valley Discos
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm holding out for the update to support the HC 4500.

A1DL
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM

I don't think it's an age related thing Peter, I'm merely at the tender age of 40 :cool: and don't understand any of it either.

A few of our DJs use computerised playout, and the extent of my understanding of computers in relation to DJing is limited to PAT testing them once a year and ensuring they maintain current Digital DJ Licence.
Maybe I'm a dinosaur but TBH that's all I really want/need to know about it.

I do read the threads posted here on the digital debate, and I always conclude that something so compact, reliable and simple (using CDs with good pro CD player/s) is gradually being replaced by something with so many potential pitfalls, complications and problems...

Problems which I imagine are hard to fix because PERHAPS it's hardware, PERHAPS it's the operating system, PERHAPS it's the software, PERHAPS it's a conflict with other software co-existing, PERHAPS, PERHAPS, PERHAPS.....

Just my two shillings worth...

http://www.highlightskids.com/Science/Stories/images/SS1100_myownDinosaur.gif

jamesh
07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I know they had problems with databases, losing tags and even some Mp3s, but it seemed to sort mine out after rev4.

I think JamesH who comes on here maybe able to help more with this.

Having said all that, I've just realised that you are using Vista and most people I know who use VDJ are using XP.

Have you read up on any Vista problems on the VDJ forums?

ha ha say my name and i appear.... ok all be it a day late but been a busy bee working hard this past week with lots of exciting gigs....

First thing i would suggest trying if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to run VDJ on a vista machine is unplug the dac 3 completely and give VDJ a good test... Does it still cause issues? or does it run fine? If it runs fine how are you controlling the Dac3... are you using the Bogis mapper or the stand alone VDJ support for the Dac 3? Also is the Dac 3 plugged into the system directly or does it go through a USB hub first... there are still a few issues with running VDJ on vista as with allot of software right now trying to run on vista... It all stems from windows not wanting programs to write to certain areas where in previous versions of windows it wasn't a problem...

I know the questions sound simple but on a new operating system it can make all the difference to solving the issues and getting everything working if the problem is pinpointed...

In my own opinion i really would loose Vista at least for a year or so till it's allot more stable AND most software has full support for it and all the bugs have been ironed out. OK VDJ isn't 100% perfect on Windows XP pro with service pack 2 BUT it's 99.9% better and more stable than running it on a vista machine.

again refer to above... are you using the Bogis mapper OR just the standard support for the Dac 3? as would help see where the problem is... If using the bogis plug in remove it and just run native support and give it a good test. If you are not running the bogis plugin for the Dac 3 you might want to download it - the dac3 is allot better with it than without it... (well it is in windows XP i've yet to test it in vista).

Have had not a single problem with Numark Cue/Virtual Dj since running it with this controller

The Dac 3 is perfectly fine for VDJ and why you'd recommend someone going to another controller to do the same job is just beyond me.... If anything the Dac 3 has just as much support in VDJ as the DMC2 as the Dac2 and Dac3 were one of the first controllers to be fully supported by VDJ. Plus you will find there are more users of VDJ using Dac3's right now than DMC2's so you are more likely to get fixes for problems quickly when putting it on the VDJ forums... Obviously that will change over time as new controllers come out and older ones get discontinued...

jamesh
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I do read the threads posted here on the digital debate, and I always conclude that something so compact, reliable and simple (using CDs with good pro CD player/s) is gradually being replaced by something with so many potential pitfalls, complications and problems...

Problems which I imagine are hard to fix because PERHAPS it's hardware, PERHAPS it's the operating system, PERHAPS it's the software, PERHAPS it's a conflict with other software co-existing, PERHAPS, PERHAPS, PERHAPS.....

Just my two shillings worth...

That's the things though the only variables that cause issues with a computer playout system are the people themselves.... people not in the know about computers or with only a basic knowledge trying to install and run computer playout software on the system...

The perhaps and perhaps bit comes in where people are trying to work out where the process went wrong and what wasn't done right...

Computer software on a dedicated machine, set-up and optimised correctly is just as reliable as a CD player.

Thames Valley Discos
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Computer software on a dedicated machine, set-up and optimised correctly is just as reliable as a CD player.

second that

mysteriesman
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok Here we go..... the only reason i am running vista is because the machine i chose for the job had the best tech specs for the purpose i wanted,and have you tried to buy a new pc with xp lately or get one you can downgrade, i have been a computer engineer for 8 years and have been using digital systems for about 5, having extensively tested the 4.3 version of vdj on xp, i was dismayed by the technical issues in v5, for james, i have tried both with and without boggis mapper and find the native control perfect for what i need, the issue is being seriously debated on the vdj forums currently which is where i picked up the registry fix, and although annoying to do it every time before loading vdj it is bearable and the sytem is stable for that session, god help us if there is a power cut though.
Im sure that atomix will sort the problem soon so until then ill hang on.
for the people who arent convinced about digital dj`ing, i can only say that my kit size and setup times have dramatically dropped and the quality of sound difference is minimal, i am a firm advocate of digital systems and these problems are merely a fly in the ointment and for all the dj`s who still use purely cd`s, i say good on you, but ask yourself how many carry a laptop as backup?

sandysounds
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I agrree

Vista is far to resource hungry for a disco pc. Do you really need aero and all the other crap in vista to play music at a gig!!! :)

has anyone on here bought a new computer recently......try getting one that hasn't got vista on it! I bought a brand new Acer laptop....only came with vista.....with the Acer support team managed to get vista off and install windows xp........not so lucky with the mini HP pc (which is ideal as an alternative to laptop and can be mounted in the rig)....got no choice but to have Vista on it.....so basically forced into Vista...not by choice!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
it.

You are correct in one thing Tony. You don't understand it. :sj:

rob1963
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM

The most important thing is reliability, and I'm not sure whether digital DJing is more reliable than using CDs.

However, one thing IS for sure...it's far easier & does away with your boxes of CDs.

I am planning on making the switch next year.

sandysounds
07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
The most important thing is reliability, and I'm not sure whether digital DJing is more reliable than using CDs.

However, one thing IS for sure...it's far easier & does away with your boxes of CDs.

I am planning on making the switch next year.

go for it Rob.....i never have a CD in sight! And as for reliability.....I have back ups in place...ie spare i-pod, spare hard drive etc.....but never needed them yet.....incidently.....do CD users carry back up CD players?????

rob1963
07-11-2007, 11:43 PM
do CD users carry back up CD players?????

I think most of them will say yes.

I use 3 cd players, a standard twin one and a single desk top player.

Having 3 music sources is more flexible than just 2, and if one packs up I have nothing to worry about.

However, if TWO pack up.............I'm stuffed!

sandysounds
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I think most of them will say yes.

I use 3 cd players, a standard twin one and a single desk top player.

Having 3 music sources is more flexible than just 2, and if one packs up I have nothing to worry about.

However, if TWO pack up.............I'm stuffed!

sage and onion?....or shall we be seasonal here and say chectnut and cranberry?

JAMdisco
09-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Only reason I got Vista is same reason as above posts - it came pre-installed, however being in IT support team I could up/down grade to XP Pro but Vista seems to be ok on my laptop so far and will only change the OS if Vista prooves to be unstable / unreliable. I have only used it alongside my CD decks so far at gigs but have trialled it at home for 4 hours continous and there were no probs at all.

Almost got all my CD's ripped now - got around 15 more to rip then done!

Have a disco
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
then you'll be playing music illegally even with a digital DJ licence LOL you cant win

JAMdisco
12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
then you'll be playing music illegally even with a digital DJ licence LOL you cant win

How will this be illegal, I have all the original genuine CD's (although some are my wifes - but how can they prove it). All the downloads are genuine and have printed out all receipts. I reckon it's all legal and above board.

JAMdisco
12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh, one more thing - I used my laptop at my local residency on Sat night. I only used 3 tracks from CD's as I hadn't ripped them yet. All worked out fine and sounded great.
I'm still haven't bought a seperate soundcard so was using VDJ to mix without headphones - ok for a pub disco but will need to get this sorted before my NYE ibiza style disco - by the way - my beat mixing is gettting better & better every day, still practicing...

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
How will this be illegal, I have all the original genuine CD's (although some are my wifes - but how can they prove it). All the downloads are genuine and have printed out all receipts. I reckon it's all legal and above board.

Officially, no it isn't.

I'm not going to post about this for the millionth time, but if you change the format of a CD into an Mp3 then you make a copy and that is subject to copyright. There isn't currently a licence from the MCPS that covers this.

JAMdisco
13-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Ok, if that's the case then, how are all the other "virtual" DJ's doing it? Surely if it's downloads alone (pressuming that's legal) it could potentially cost thousands...?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Until the relevant authorities get their act together and bring out a licence, there isn't a way of doing it legally.

They have promised an amnesty until aforementioned licences arrive though.