PDA

View Full Version : Closing down the business

Candybeatdiscos
10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi all, i wondered if anyone could possibly assist and advise me the best way to wind up my business, I have two gigs booked and deposits paid for 2008, both of which i have contacted are happy for me to pass onto another company.

But how do i wind the business up regarding tax man etc.

The reason i have decided to go down this route is because when i started the business i made an awful lot of mistakes, and just haven't managed to get the finance invested properly and as a rsult never marketed the business properly.

Now i am also co-owner of a hotel with my mother and we have top class accountants and lawyers who have given us great advice and already we see this paying off - they have saved us thousands already. The hotel is really taking off a lot better than we antcipated and i can see me having my hands full for the next few years at least.

I am turning disco's away as i cannot guarentee that i will be available for them and i dont like doing this.

In the hotel i am able to DJ as we have our own gear and this helps keep costs down and is making the hotel money, so i am looking at doing that for the next couple of years.

I do however anticipate that in 5 years time or so i expect to resurrect Lewnics Entertainments once again, properly lol.

Over the past year or so i have made some great friends on this forum and will for ever be eternally grateful to Shaun for gigs he has past over and advice help that he has given me. I still intend of using his graphical expertise however lol

anyway any advice regarding winding the business down would be appreciated.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
we have top class accountants and lawyers who have given us great advice and already we see this paying off - they have saved us thousands already.

As you've already said this, wouldn't it just be easier to talk to them?

Shaun
10-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Over the past year or so i have made some great friends on this forum and will for ever be eternally grateful to Shaun for gigs he has past over and advice help that he has given me.

It was my pleasure Garry. The very best of luck with your new venture. :approve:

TonyB
10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Definitely talk to your accountants. There may be some tax advantage for the hotel to pay Lewnics Entertainment as a separate entity to supply the entertainment. If that is the case, change your website to say that Lewnics Entertainment is now resident DJ at the hotel and provide a link (extra advertising for the hotel) plus link to another DJ who will take mobile bookings or link to the MDD.

That way it will just be "suspended" in case you want to start it up again.

PropellerHeadCase
10-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Are you saying that you'll also be too busy to "keep your hand" in by posting here? :eek:

Jiggles
10-11-2007, 10:18 PM
:(:(:(:(

http://www.cbentertainments.co.uk/gary2.jpg

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Are you saying that you'll also be too busy to "keep your hand" in by posting here? :eek:Surely not, Garry?

You'll come on from time to time and tell us about your new venture, and about the gigs you do in your hotel, and asking advice about the new amp you want to buy for the function room, won't you? :D

rob1963
11-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Lewnics,

PLEASE tell me you won't be sacking your ant.

:(

Candybeatdiscos
11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
The ant will be getting sacked lol

Nah i wont be keeping away from the forum, after all i now need to use the forum and be the official hoteliers point of view.

I do not want to trade as the resident DJ, as i want to make a clean break for a few years. Although i will be there DJ'ing every now and again. Actually we are giving a free disco to anyone who books the hotel jan to march (must have 60+ guests though).

Corabar Steve
11-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Actually we are giving a free disco to anyone who books the hotel jan to march (must have 60+ guests though).

Forum meet anyone?

rob1963
11-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Forum meet anyone?

It's a bit of a long walk for me!

Penfold42
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Forum meet anyone?
I'm in...:)

It's a bit of a long walk for me!
use your thumb....:p

rob1963
12-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm in...:)

use your thumb....:p

That's an idea!

...but I'm only going if the ant will be there!

Corabar Steve
12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
My fault, I know but, off topic!

rob1963
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
:sorry:

Dragonfly
12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
its a sad loss to party goers north of the border good luck with the new venture if the ant needs a good home ... :D :D :D it will stop me squidgeing the screen everytime i read your posts. as for winding up the business try giving the tax office a call or if they are busy with the rest of the country complaining to them , try cab they maybe able to offer some advice on how to do it right.

DJWilson
17-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Good luck, hope everything goes well

Shaun
21-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I met up with Garry (Lewnics) today at his hotel. What a great venue, it's a lot bigger than I'd imagined. I've no doubt Garry will have great success with the place.

Corabar Entertainment
21-11-2007, 06:59 PM
So are you the new resident DJ then Shaun? ;)

Shaun
21-11-2007, 07:01 PM
So are you the new resident DJ then Shaun? ;)

Not at all, Garry's got that firmly covered for the time being. Great venue though.....Scottish DJ Meet anyone?

Corabar Entertainment
21-11-2007, 07:09 PM
:( :( :( Are only Scottish DJs invited then? :( :( :(

Shaun
21-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Of course. Got to keep the southern riff-raff out don't we. :D

Corabar Entertainment
21-11-2007, 07:19 PM
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Tom
21-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Would be a bit of a drive anyway. lol.

Shaun
21-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Would be a bit of a drive anyway. lol.

Could always get the train and hire a room over-night in the hotel.

Corabar Entertainment
21-11-2007, 07:22 PM
or fly (very cheap flights around - some as cheap as £1 each way) and get Shaun to pick us up at the airport, take us to a hotel (Travelodge are doing £19 rooms), and drive us back to the airport and fly back next day :D :D

EDIT: OOPS! Forgot when I posted that, that Garry has a hotel! :omg: WHOOPS! :lol:

Tom
21-11-2007, 07:24 PM
maby this could be a meet up for mdd members

Shaun
21-11-2007, 07:31 PM
or fly (very cheap flights around - some as cheap as £1 each way) and get Shaun to pick us up at the airport, take us to a hotel (Travelodge are doing £19 rooms), and drive us back to the airport and fly back next day :D :D

EDIT: OOPS! Forgot when I posted that, that Garry has a hotel! :omg: WHOOPS! :lol:

Not a problem. I could fit quite a few of you in the back of the van.....just hold on tight. :D :D

Corabar Steve
21-11-2007, 07:40 PM
maby this could be a meet up for mdd members

Forum meet anyone?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Penfold42
21-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Im in....:D
forum tart at your service.....:D :D :D

Candybeatdiscos
06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
ok guys......

officially i am offering the function room for a forum meeting during jan or febuary, the only condition is that 4 or 5 of you take turns and do the disco :)

rooms will be priced as a special one off - £25 per person (£30 if you want brekkie).

let me know guys

Tom
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
sounds intresting but its a bit to far for me. :(

Danno13
07-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Sounds good.. you can fly from Birmingham to Edinburgh for less than £40! Hire a car for the weekend.... could be do-able!

Corabar Steve
07-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Jamie...........

Dragonfly
07-01-2008, 08:45 AM

now that's not very lady like :D :D :D

Jiggles
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Got the licence for under 18 :D If you could do it when im off school i could come!

mutley
19-05-2008, 07:12 PM
i would say just send a letter with your details & tax account number to your local tax office now- or wait & pop the letter in with your next tax return, search their boring hard to navigate site also to see the best way

SCOTTLOPEZ
22-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Every year your company is required to file an annual return with the Registrar. The annual return is a chance for you to confirm the details of your company held by the Registrar.

There is no fee to file your annual return online. The annual return must be signed either by a director, solicitor or chartered accountant authorised for that purpose.

Failure to file an annual return with the companies office can lead the Registrar to believe the company has ceased trading and may lead to the company being removed from the register before you are ready.