PDA

View Full Version : DJ Guard small print-did you know?

scoopd
10-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Just looking through my DJ guard small print.I have just noticed that if somebody walks into a busy room and steals some gear whilst I'm at the toilet I'm not covered.
I'm sure some other knew that but I still find it ineresting to look at info like that now and agian!

Sam
10-11-2007, 04:09 PM
yeh.. i suppose you have to be careful with it.
although.. one would think it would be hard for someone to walk into a busy room and just take something.. i guess it happens though

sleah
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Just looking through my DJ guard small print.I have just noticed that if somebody walks into a busy room and steals some gear whilst I'm at the toilet I'm not covered.
I'm sure some other knew that but I still find it ineresting to look at info like that now and agian!

That's the problem with alot of insurance, it doesn't cover you for the times when something is actually likely to be stolen.
You're only really covered if the thief beats you up/restrains you/kills you etc first, and only then if you've put up a good fight first:eek:
I've only insured my laptop, because someone could belt me and snatch it whilst walking from the club to the car park, although I usually walk across with other staff so I'm not alone.
Even then it has to be in a hard case, which is easier to steal than a carry bag across my shoulders.:confused:
PLI is the only insurance that's actually worth the money.

Tom
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM

another reason not to do a disco on your own. i always have someone with me incase i need a number 1. plus i always tell the roadie what to do if im not back in time. simply just press play on the scratch desk. couldnt be easier. but i have never had that problem yet.

touch wood

Paul James Promotions
11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
PLI is the only insurance that's actually worth the money.

Would disagree with that personally. What about insurance for equipment whilst in transit and storage?

Sam
11-11-2007, 01:07 AM
another reason not to do a disco on your own. i always have someone with me incase i need a number 1. plus i always tell the roadie what to do if im not back in time. simply just press play on the scratch desk. couldnt be easier. but i have never had that problem yet.

touch wood

Yeh.. i never go alone. :) And i'm talking about discos before anyone gets any ideas ;)

sleah
11-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Would disagree with that personally. What about insurance for equipment whilst in transit and storage?

Didn't mean it wasn't worth it at all - however you'll find for when in transit, it means literally that - whilst your driving, but even then if your back door isn't locked or you've left the van unattended while you go in to the venue to get the loading doors open. - they'll try and refuse to pay!
Also the van has to have separate bulkhead from the driver's position, and no or barred windows and gear must be hidden from sight.
My van is an ex-minibus so short of welding it up like a tank..........

In storage, my concreate panel garage isn't acceptable, it has to be a brick built structure with god-knows-what security.

The cost of constructing acceptable storage for me would be many times the value of the gear.
And the only time I would be concerned about theft would be times when insurance wouldn't cover anyway as I've mentioned here and in previous post.
So for me personally, theft insurance simply isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Accidental damage, if available, may be different.......

Whereas PLI, if you injure someone, without it no-one here could ever hope to pay the compensation, there lives financially would be ruined, probably leading to sale of house and luxuries.
So PLI is worth every penny and more!

Sam
11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
i suppose it depends on what business you run and the equipment involved.

sleah
11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
i suppose it depends on what business you run and the equipment involved.
:approve: spot on matey!

I'm a part-timer so my van and garage do other things:D
A full-timer should spend the money on proper storage and transportation:cool:

DazzyD
08-03-2008, 10:11 AM
But isn't this the case with all insurance companies and policies? There are so many restrictions and exclusions that any claims have to be water-tight nowadays.

But we do need PLI. Really, it should be a legal requirement especially in the claim-happy age in which we live today. I blame the Americans! (makes a change from blaming the French, I 'spose!)

My biggest policy is one which I pay big(gish!) sums of cash in to and I'll never get to see any benefit cos it's my life insurance policy! (note to self: wonder how easy it is to fake my own death?!?