PDA

View Full Version : My New Website

JAMdisco
28-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I have just up-rated my website and would like feedback where any improvements could be made as I feel it's still lacking something...

Also, what is the procedure / law regarding putting peoples pictures on there? Do you just need their permission or do you put it in your booking pack or t&c's?

Dragonfly
28-11-2007, 01:29 PM
hey mate ....

lose the equipment page ....... no one cares how big your willy is (so to speak)

put up more pictures of the fancy dress party :D :D :D

looks ok to me will have another look at length later, :beer1: :beer1:

UltraBeat Entertainment
28-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Not a bad little site. Some useful imformation But are you sure you have the rights to show the photo's on your site? By the looks you have 3 product pictures released by the manufacter so i'm not sure what permission you may need to be able to use them.

Tips:
1) Make your PLI and PAT more visiable. use it as a selling point.
2) A picture of your rig operating would look good.
3) Have you ever thought about getting a logo?

I also agree with Dragonfly lose the equipment page if you have to just add a small paragraph about how you use modern and upto date equipment or something.

Good site. Well Done.:beer1:

Spirits High
28-11-2007, 01:46 PM
what is the procedure / law regarding putting peoples pictures on there? Do you just need their permission or do you put it in your booking pack or t&c's?

Not sure of the legal side but in my T & C's I put:

"During the event there is a strong likelihood that photos and or videos will be taken for publicity purposes on our website. If you do not wish for photos to be published you must inform us in writing at least 7 days before the event"

Had no complaints so far!

On the site side of life again ditch the "equipment" page and do a page on the services you offer. The way I do mine is page for weddings, page for birthdays etc etc.

Have a look at mine to get an idea of what I mean but dont "borrow" my wording!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-11-2007, 02:08 PM
1) Make your PLI and PAT more visiable. use it as a selling point.

I disagree.

When was the last time you booked another service and asked about their PLI? It's a good idea to have it, though I don't think it's a selling point.

Marc J
28-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Yout text in the header changes on the T&C and FAQ pages (it's the same on all the others).

A contact form is always a good idea - if someone is at work they can't always use their email client to send personal mail, and even if they can they might want the reply to go elsewhere...

I don't think the colours for the links (non visited and visited) stand out too well against the blue background.

You've resized your pictures (on the gallery page) in the HTML code. The images themselves are a little larger. Browsers aren't great at resizing images, better to use a graphics app to resize them, this would make them faster loading too.

Other than that, looks OK :)

JAMdisco
28-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will have images of my actual rig rather than use the product pictures (you're right spudcooper - I don't have permission). Also I will have some more images for the Gallery page.

I'd like to completely re-design the site eventually, and yes I have thought about a logo but haven't any decent software to do it - what do you guys (and girls) use?

rob1963
28-11-2007, 03:21 PM
I have just up-rated my website and would like feedback where any improvements could be made as I feel it's still lacking something...

Also, what is the procedure / law regarding putting peoples pictures on there? Do you just need their permission or do you put it in your booking pack or t&c's?

Hi JayDeeDrinker,

I'm flattered that you decided to use my own terms & conditions, but couldn't you have at least changed the wording a BIT...rather than doing a cut & paste job?

With the exception of 2 or 3 words, all your terms are identical to mine!

My terms: http://www.robjamesentertainment.co.uk/terms.htm

Your terms: http://www.jamdisco.co.uk/Terms&Conditions.htm

:(

Marc J
28-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Pity the two words changed are the two immediately following "Please make all cheques payable to" :D

Penfold42
28-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Pity the two words changed are the two immediately following "Please make all cheques payable to" :D

He could allways put Marc J instead............:D

Not a bad site .....agree with what's been said.:)

rob1963
28-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Exactly!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I wonder if I'll get an explanation or apology?

rob1963
29-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Well.....nothing yet.

I'm more than happy for people to take ideas from my own website, but doing a straight cut & paste of an entire page is simply taking things too far.

Before formulating my terms & conditions, I did lots of research by looking at dozens of mobile disco sites in order to see what sort of things need to be covered in the terms, and I made lots of notes.

From these notes, I then compiled my own terms & conditions.

This took me many hours...only to have someone else come along & do a direct cut & paste onto their own site in just a few seconds...and THAT is why I'm seriously miffed (to put it politely).

:Naughty:

Corabar Entertainment
29-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Well.....nothing yet.In fairness Rob, I've just checked and he hasn't been on the forum since your first post.

I can understand why you are upset - ie having put hours of work in and someone copying them without asking, but TBH I've lost count how many times this has happened to us on T&Cs. We've also had plenty of people ask if they can use them and I've always said 'yes'. It's when people copy other parts of the site that I get really annoyed :mad: :mad:

Penfold42
29-11-2007, 12:49 PM
In fairness Rob, I've just checked and he hasn't been on the forum since your first post.

You beat me to it....:)

rob1963
29-11-2007, 01:07 PM
In fairness Rob, I've just checked and he hasn't been on the forum since your first post.

Thanks Angela. In that case, I'll give him more time to reply before doing anything else.

I can understand why you are upset - ie having put hours of work in and someone copying them without asking

Exactly.

What REALLY gets me is the fact that it was a straight cut & paste from my site...with no attempt to even change the order or re-word any of it!

I also don't understand why someone would cut & paste someone ELSES terms & conditions, and then ask for opinions of their website on a forum which is heavily used by the person whose t & c they stole!

:shrug:

Penfold42
29-11-2007, 01:17 PM
*Frantically re-typing T&C's before Rob notices*
:richie: :richie: :richie: :richie: :richie:

:D

rob1963
29-11-2007, 01:51 PM
*Frantically re-typing T&C's before Rob notices*
:richie: :richie: :richie: :richie: :richie: :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K
29-11-2007, 04:17 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think its a wind up Rob

:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Penfold42
29-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I think its a wind up Rob

:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Now would i do that.........:p :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D

JAMdisco
30-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Rob, Just logged on this morning, I do owe you an apology, very sorry for miffing you off. I should have asked. I'll re-type them using my own wording. There are a few things I need to change anyway but needed some quickly for an invoice and just cut & pasted yours (as they seemed very good and concise). When I came to do the website I just used the same ones for continuity.

Once again, very sorry.

Penfold42
30-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Group hug.....:Kiss 3:

rob1963
30-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Rob, Just logged on this morning, I do owe you an apology, very sorry for miffing you off. I should have asked. I'll re-type them using my own wording. There are a few things I need to change anyway but needed some quickly for an invoice and just cut & pasted yours (as they seemed very good and concise). When I came to do the website I just used the same ones for continuity.

Once again, very sorry.

Hi JayDeeDrinker,

Thanks for your apology, which I'm happy to accept.

As I've said previously, I'm more than happy for people to take things from my site...as long as they change the order & re-word it a bit!

Regards,

Rob.

:)

JAMdisco
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
OK, I've redone the Terms & Conditions (without using copy or paste).
Hope these are now a little more unique!

Feedback please.

premierents
05-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey,

I not commenting on any website in particular but wouldnt it be wise to invest £300-£500 in a website designed by a professional?

In todays market, I think a well made, professional site with forms, F&Qs pop ups and that lost would be so much better.

I had a go at building my own and maintaining but I think the time spent looking for more gigs and advertising the shows, would far out way the time spent on a website.

Just my thoughts as I have seen quite a few dodgy looking site, but some good ones too.

Ash

oh and my site is currently down awaiting a redesign for 2008.

Corabar Steve
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM
MD, if you post another message as an afterthought imediatly after you have posted one, can you please click on the Edit button & add it to your original post.

I don't think you've participated in one thread yet that hasn't involved a member of admin or a mod merging a series of consecutive posts by you.

Thanks

JAMdisco
05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey,

I not commenting on any website in particular but wouldnt it be wise to invest £300-£500 in a website designed by a professional?

Just my thoughts as I have seen quite a few dodgy looking site, but some good ones too.

So why post this on MY Thread?

Surely any website is better than NO website???

premierents
05-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I only started posting today, so havent really grasped the concept on how things work in here.:bang:

It was just a passing comment and wasnt aimed towards your site so please accept my apologies, I didnt meant to cause an offence. :(

Reading back over the thread, I can see your point mate, so sorry again.

A1DL
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey,

Ash

:confused: :confused: that budget won't buy you much in the way of professional web design :rolleyes:

:confused: Have you ever had a site Ash? The reason I ask is because you were only enquiring just over a year ago on another forum with regards to developing a site and (a) it is unusual within this industry for a site to only have a shelf life of a year and (b) if you are "redesigning" it is highly unusual to switch off the old site before launching the new one.

http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/t-82798.html

Tony

Marc J
05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Surely any website is better than NO website???

Actually, no - As I've said before (and I'm sure many agree) - Having no website is better than having a bad one!

A good website makes a good first impression - result :)
A bad website makes a bad first impression - bad result :(
No website - it's not good, but at least it's not bad ;)

:confused: :confused: that budget won't buy you much in the way of professional web design :rolleyes:

A one or two page professionally designed site maybe :rolleyes:

P.S. Sorry for straying off topic a little - but it was like that when I got here :)

:ontopic:

rob1963
06-12-2007, 02:19 PM
OK, I've redone the Terms & Conditions (without using copy or paste). Hope these are now a little more unique!
Feedback please.

Far better...and thank you!

:)