Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 529 of 564 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

The third and final one for the week saw Capt. Chaos out doing his thing for a bunch of 7 year olds in my local village. Absolutely AWESOME afternoon of party shenanigans which has actually led to a new revenue stream.

The PARENTS asked if I could do the same thing but with slightly more grown up games for them next year once the Covid situation calms down again. This isn't the first time I've been asked for this either (I've got one booked in January for exactly the same thing).

Maybe Capt. Chaos could be about to become a "thing"

I had a University Christmas party booked for last weekend. An hour and a half before I was supposed to be there I had a nightmare incident. I had loaded most of my equipment up that morning but still had a few things in my garage to go in the van. I stupidly went to open the up & over door while it was still locked and bent the lock bolt!

Then the key broke off in the lock when I tried to turn it. Eventually I got in with the use of a shovel to bend the door frame! I wasted about 45 minutes trying to get in. I was in bit of a rush to get there on time but all went well in the end

It was a relief to get that door open!

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  50.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

The PARENTS asked if I could do the same thing but with slightly more grown up games for them next year once the Covid situation calms down again. This isn't the first time I've been asked for this either (I've got one booked in January for exactly the same thing).
    Check out post #14 It's not a new idea, Sonny.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Check out post #14 It's not a new idea, Sonny.
    The music isn't new - this lot are after the GAMES AND MEDALS as well . They literally want a full on Capt. Chaos kids party for the grown ups!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The music isn't new - this lot are after the GAMES AND MEDALS as well . They literally want a full on Capt. Chaos kids party for the grown ups!
    Also not new. Been there and done that a few times over the years Very popular for Hen parties for some reason....

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Default And down to earth we come.

Ah well. There are many times a year when I offer up a prayer of thanks that I'm not a resident, trying to source cover for multiple rooms. Poor Matthew Western was in that position this week, after one DJ pulled out with Covid. To rub salt into the wound, Matthew only found out that the man for the job, young Twinspin ( John Brown ) turned out to be available after he had sourced cover elsewhere.

Before all this kerfuffle began, there were four DJ's in four rooms, all carefully chosen. With the change of personnel, some of us should have moved along one room. I probably put my foot in it, by being keen. I turned up early, and got set up in the room where there were two consecutive nights planned for me. In truth, if everyone had known everything, I should have taken the wedding in another part of the hotel, and given the Xmas party to the lad booked for the small party. That would in theory have put the most suitable combination of rigs and people in the right places. Sorry Matthew.

My gig: Well probably twenty folk thought I was a damn fine DJ. The other fifty odd folk knew I was there. That good a night. Let's hope for better tonight.

Default If it weren't for Rule 23

I'd probably have headed this post with the French for- " The more things change".

And the bit which is usually not written, but taken as read- " The more they stay the same".

Same place, same room, different crowd, slightly different age range ( this was more promising with more older folks ) and a slightly different reception, but with some good old favourites appearing. Yes, the " drinks on the dancefloor " lads, giving my dicky ticker a workout as they hurtle round, waving them in the air, then come behind the booth for requests, holding them over all the kit. There's a funny twist to that.

One problem sometimes at this hotel, and doubtless others like them, is the 1am finish. Often, there's a noticeable exodus at midnight, as taxis arrive, and only the diehard party animals/seasoned drinkers/drunken louts remain. What was formerly a nice friendly atmosphere becomes a platform for the noisy Herbert who wants only his music. ( Although, to be fair after asking for R&B all night, his last request was Cha Cha Slide)!

Were it not for the antics of him and his mates, I'd have had to rate last night a solid 8/10, easy. No problem. Takes all the fun away being poised to " repel boarders " in case they come crashing into the kit. After looking like it was destined to die before midnight, suddenly they all get a second wind, and the floor's rammed to Wonderwall at 1am.

The funny bit? I warned them many times about drinks on the dancefloor, and we got to the end without any spillage at all. Can you believe that every time I said this, I could hear Boos from one corner of the room? Anyway, lights are up, floor's empty, I'm packing up ( even though one guest wanted me to go and be David Bailey for a group photo! No mate, I'm busy).

Our hero is wandering about with a drink in his hand still, and what does he do? Only spills it on the dancefloor! His mates point that I'd been warning him about it all night long, to their great amusement.

When I've recovered, and swapped some kit, I'm off to the seaside for a group of Filipino cleaning staff party. Bit different. ( And still the same. Cha Cha Slide's on the list, as well as Gangnam, Macarena and Dancing Queen).

I'm off to the seaside for a group of Filipino cleaning staff party.
    At least they'll be able to clear up their own spillages on the dancefloor!

I'd probably have headed this post with the French for- " The more things change".

And the bit which is usually not written, but taken as read- " The more they stay the same".

Same place, same room, different crowd, slightly different age range ( this was more promising with more older folks ) and a slightly different reception, but with some good old favourites appearing. Yes, the " drinks on the dancefloor " lads, giving my dicky ticker a workout as they hurtle round, waving them in the air, then come behind the booth for requests, holding them over all the kit. There's a funny twist to that.

One problem sometimes at this hotel, and doubtless others like them, is the 1am finish. Often, there's a noticeable exodus at midnight, as taxis arrive, and only the diehard party animals/seasoned drinkers/drunken louts remain. What was formerly a nice friendly atmosphere becomes a platform for the noisy Herbert who wants only his music. ( Although, to be fair after asking for R&B all night, his last request was Cha Cha Slide)!

Were it not for the antics of him and his mates, I'd have had to rate last night a solid 8/10, easy. No problem. Takes all the fun away being poised to " repel boarders " in case they come crashing into the kit. After looking like it was destined to die before midnight, suddenly they all get a second wind, and the floor's rammed to Wonderwall at 1am.

The funny bit? I warned them many times about drinks on the dancefloor, and we got to the end without any spillage at all. Can you believe that every time I said this, I could hear Boos from one corner of the room? Anyway, lights are up, floor's empty, I'm packing up ( even though one guest wanted me to go and be David Bailey for a group photo! No mate, I'm busy).

Our hero is wandering about with a drink in his hand still, and what does he do? Only spills it on the dancefloor! His mates point that I'd been warning him about it all night long, to their great amusement.

When I've recovered, and swapped some kit, I'm off to the seaside for a group of Filipino cleaning staff party. Bit different. ( And still the same. Cha Cha Slide's on the list, as well as Gangnam, Macarena and Dancing Queen).
    And the message from the manager, after you had gone was to say at thank you for a really good night.

Ah well. There are many times a year when I offer up a prayer of thanks that I'm not a resident, trying to source cover for multiple rooms. Poor Matthew Western was in that position this week, after one DJ pulled out with Covid. To rub salt into the wound, Matthew only found out that the man for the job, young Twinspin ( John Brown ) turned out to be available after he had sourced cover elsewhere.

Before all this kerfuffle began, there were four DJ's in four rooms, all carefully chosen. With the change of personnel, some of us should have moved along one room. I probably put my foot in it, by being keen. I turned up early, and got set up in the room where there were two consecutive nights planned for me. In truth, if everyone had known everything, I should have taken the wedding in another part of the hotel, and given the Xmas party to the lad booked for the small party. That would in theory have put the most suitable combination of rigs and people in the right places. Sorry Matthew.
    J
    My gig: Well probably twenty folk thought I was a damn fine DJ. The other fifty odd folk knew I was there. That good a night. Let's hope for better tonight.
    A lot of Friday's wedding turned up in my Motown tribute party night on Saturday and the bride and groom took the trouble, as did an auntie and a family friend, to say thank you to their DJ for a brilliant night on Friday. They carried the party over into the Saturday as it was Auntie Elaine's 50th birthday. The previous night saw them in the hotel bar until 3am and this morning, when I left at 0240, several of them were still going strong. I declined to join them, preferring a 35 mile drive in the fog!
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-12-2021 at 09:55 AM.

I just realised - I didn't do my gig from last weekend.

Originally three parties (one corporate, two kids), down to just the one because....well....people are a little bit scared at the moment. Thankfully the two that didn't go ahead have rescheduled for a later date so it's not all bad.

In fact as it turns out...it was quite a result because three would have been nigh-on impossible.

Yes folks...Captain Chaos has yet more broken bones! I missed my footing on the stairs at home on Friday afternoon and ended up coming down the last half of the flight in a very undignified manner (it's called getting old I believe?), and as a result got a couple of cracked ribs in my back and a lot of bruising

So, I arrived at Saturday's combined Xmas and birthday party a little worse for wear (actually VERY sore) and was delighted to see I could park the van within 10 feet of the setup area....hooray!

Something new....it was a UV party (my most popular kids option), but fed up of lugging in the UV Canons (and waiting for them to cool at the end), I'd invested in a brace of very cheap and cheerful 1m battens at £45 a piece which fit nicely on the satellite poles of the Evolves (never heard of the brand but they're called HQ Power UV LED Bar).

I'm not a massive fan of LED "UV" (because it's really not the same) and I wasn't expecting much from them but blimmin' 'eck they punched above their weight! For kids parties, these things are awesome!

Now those that know how I do kids parties will understand the next bit. I play a LOT of games in the first half, and one of my "things" is to change wigs regularly as well (they never notice until half way through). The second half includes an 18 minute action dance marathon where I stand at the front and guide them on how to dance at weddings in later life

Hmmm....on a couple of cracked ribs and associated bruising. Thankfully I'd taken enough pain killers to down a Wooly Mammoth so although it hurt...I could get through....until the kids started jumping up at me to try to prove that the purple afro was actually a wig and not my real hair as I tried to convince them (ouch!).

Finishing time came and it was an awesome doo, lots of cards given out (apparently they've never seen the likes of me at a kids party before) and a £20 tip to boot (that's rare these days!). More importantly 30+ kids had had the time of their lives which after the past couple of years always makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

That's my last for this year. Fingers crossed I'm back out for a mahusive 10 gigs in January which is unheard of (mostly kids with one adult 60th which I've been told is going to be themed along the Mod era....could be a good 'un )

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals...it's time to make merry and drink a small sherry (or six)