Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 525 of 564 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Last week on Friday I was filling in for someone.. a wedding where a DJ making a 'thing' out of the cake cut & first dance were apparently new concepts to the happy couple but they seemed very pleased with the result.

After the first dance the floor was rammed for all of about 20 minutes, then people sat down to chat again. It was at this point I met the bride's creepy 'uncle'. "Nobody's dancing! You need to be playing Dancing Queen next!" he said. I rolled my eyes & said "because everybody LOVES Abba, right?". Right! Off he went. I decided it might be fun to humour him. Nope, nobody liked Dancing Queen enough to dance to it. I saw him running around tables, motioning for people to get up dancing again. Nobody budged. In the meantime I saw that whenever he spoke to the bride he had a wandering hand. "Come On Eileen!" he barked at me next time he came back "That'll definitely get everyone up!". I humoured him again... hmmmnope. Still nothing. I saw him coming storming over again. Hey here's an idea I said.. why don't YOU get behind there & see if you can make a difference? "ah no you're alright". I wasn't bothered by him again.

When the buffet had been going a while I spotted that plates were being emptied & people didn't seem to be going back for more so I changed gear & oh look - rammed floor right til the very end pretty much. The groom asked me to announce they were heading off just after I'd annouced last orders so I decided to play a 'last song' after rousing the crowd to give them one last hurrah... which turned into 4 last songs. A decent result. (Devil's advocate.. but was it what they really wanted? )

Saturday saw me back in my usual haunt, but under the guise of a private booking for a teensy bit (cough) more than the venue pay me. Originally booked for a different venue which I dare say thankfully went under last year. It had easily THE most awful loadin I've ever experienced - a rickety garden path which even my souped up rock n roller struggles to navigate. Phew!

It was all so-so. I always know I'm in trouble when Michael Buble fills the dancefloor but managed to cope. Bathtime came at 10.45pm when I was asked to annouce the happy couple would be retiring (I've never heard it called that before ) & things took a massive dive after that. 11.05 I had 7 guests remaining, who weren't being collected until midnight. Shoved some background music on, went to the loo then a guest messed with my gear. Music off, sent em packing.

Thursday - on arrival at the venue I was taken to one side & appraised of the situation. It didn't sound like it was going to be a very fun night. But it was! And how! They danced to just about absolutely everything I could throw at them from the first dance til the bitter end (buffet time was brought forward - cake & first dance wasn't til after then). Dean Martin's That's Amore was the FD, followed by Frank Sinatra Fly Me To The moon (requested). I felt cheeky & launched into Nat King Cole's Let's Face The Music & Dance.. and won. I aired some absolute corkers throughout the night, managing to avoid most of the worst of the bog standard wedding fayre.

Come the end it was the long awaited return of the 'one more song' chant. If the woman who decided to remonstrate with me hadn't been quite so abusive I might have conceded.. but nah.

Last night - a bride from August booked me to play her sister's 40th birthday party at a local rugby club. Nice place, less than 15 minutes from home, dead easy loadin. Jostled between motown, 90s dance, more motown, 90s dance, 90s cheese and yet more 90s dance it was an absolute blinder. I even got to crank the RCFs up a fair bit. Yet again, cries of one more, or two more came from the crowd - even the birthday girl. I said OK but only if the barstaff agree. Bar staff had told me last orders at 11.15, music off 11.30 on the dot. Yes, we're good for one more song. I played it quietly & people started to file out.

I packed down & was out in under half an hour - bar staff thanked me for a great night & commented how neat my setup is as well as how smartly I was in & out, which was nice.

Default LOVE.

O more specifically, LOVE Letters. Big LOVE letters. Big bright LOVE letters.

Engagement party in Harrogate, in a WMC. Yes, such a thing exists there. Reasonable access, but the stage was very tall, and the steps were narrow, which didn't help. In front of the stage were the biggest, brightest LOVE letters I have ever seen! Absolutely blinding. Totally washed out my Hadrons. If I had used the Crossfires, that would have helped, because they would have swept the unlit areas a bit. One of those nights where the ambient light is just too much.

I've just got a pair of Chauvet Colorband battens, the quad version, and I'm very happy with them, particularly the mounting arrangement. It allows a very neat fitting on my T bars.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Can you just fade from one song into another?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    O more specifically, LOVE Letters. Big LOVE letters. Big bright LOVE letters.

Engagement party in Harrogate, in a WMC. Yes, such a thing exists there. Reasonable access, but the stage was very tall, and the steps were narrow, which didn't help. In front of the stage were the biggest, brightest LOVE letters I have ever seen! Absolutely blinding. Totally washed out my Hadrons. If I had used the Crossfires, that would have helped, because they would have swept the unlit areas a bit. One of those nights where the ambient light is just too much.

I've just got a pair of Chauvet Colorband battens, the quad version, and I'm very happy with them, particularly the mounting arrangement. It allows a very neat fitting on my T bars.

Ooo pretty?

Now to a wedding I had tonight which involved a fair bit of email ping-pong in recent weeks.

A lovely couple who are both massive fans of High School Musical. Being of a certain age, HSM films totally passed me by & I couldn't be called a fan by any means. So when it came to letting me know about music preferences I was given a nice outline - oh and could 'you do us a bit of a HSM medley by fading these songs into one another after a verse & chorus ?'.

Now listen, lady.. I've done the juggling tunes thing live before & it wasn't fun. So I elected to edit a mashup thing together & sent it away for approval. No, sorry to be a pain the reply came.... (the pain was actually listening to HSM songs & finding suitable points to make cuts)... can we do THESE songs instead? So, I toiled again with Sony Vegas (I didn't need beatmatching or owt so didn't need Ableton) to make something workable. Yes! That hits the spot! I joked that my graft now required a 5* review on the google & they agreed. Hmm, let's wait to see the end result eh?

I offered a spot of guidance regarding the joint Mother/Son & Father/Daughter dance rolling into their first dance. Worried that guests might not remain engaged in proceedings I steered them towards treating them separately & trimmed some of the chosen Michael Buble track off to make it 30 seconds shorter without affecting the warbling buffoon too much. As it turned out I needn't have worried.

But first on the night they mingled, then the venue people had sweet talked them into leaving the room to come back in again 5 minutes later, complete with my patented soon to be award winning grand entrance schtick. Sigh. If they've not been seen since the wedding breakfast this can work really well - not so much if they've already been mingling with the reception guests. So we had a bit of showbiz, then the cake cut, then parents dance.. then the couple's first dance... then straight outside to do sparklers.

Wot, I hear you ask - no futzing up the entire flow of the night by doing sparklers early on? I know! This common sense thing might catch on!

From there it wasn't long til the evening's food was brought out. Nobody danced much but I kept slamming on singalong classics to keep the crowd merry. No, not Sweet Blinking Caroline etc - that can get in the blimmin sea. Nah stuff like boyband anthems, Vanessa Carlton 1000 miles, Wilson Philips Hold On etc.

I wended my way through buffet time then started to get in gear for dancing. From the moment I cranked up the volume there was very little collateral damage to dancefloor numbers all the way to the appointed finish time. I got lost in slinging banger after banger after banger at them & was genuinely at a loss for what to play for the last song. Then I noticed I'd still not played Pink - Raise Your Glass which'd been a bride's pre event request. Boom! It absolutely stormed it. Sensing it was too much of a high to go out on I mixed out into Journey & called that the actual last tune.

When that finished, oof if looks could kill at my refusal to play one more...

As I was packing down the groom came to see me. He was patently gobsmacked. So was I actually - such a nice couple, and such lovely (until the end) guests - he joked that they'd been on their best behaviour for the day - they're all (ahem)heads really

Honestly - I simply couldn't have asked for a better one tonight. No sir!

Oh how did the HSM medley go down? It only went & tore the place a new one, it did. Seeing the crowd's faces as the edit played out & a new track came seamlessly in made me proud.

As for the rest of the night.. to think I've been pondering what the merry point of it all is lately. A very much needed tonic tonight!

Default I may have made a boo boo.

More of that later.

It's been twenty two, yes twenty two months since I worked with the FFN ( aka Legslappers )! They were raring to go, as were the crowd. One of the longer distance gigs for me, and it might have begat another one there next year. I was ten minutes late arriving ( meaning I only arrived eighty minutes before kick off ). Trouble is, if the FFN members arrive early, they tend to slow me down chatting, organising the night and future ones, and wanting me to do things for them. Ah well, we got there. Not a huge venue, so only one Polar, for space and pack up reasons.

Well, what a night. I relished the chance of a rest, because between a new puppy and lots of long distance work, I was tired. To be fair, I wasn't razor sharp, and didn't give them perfect support, although as usual, we/they managed well enough. The night went really well, and as is often the case when that happens, they overran massively, leaving me less than forty five minutes to play. They handed over to me, and while I was changing the laptop over for my music, an organiser asked for a mic, to announce they'd need to remove the tables from the dancefloor, if they wanted to dance!

Mid announcement, total silence! Flat battery, obviously, so pick up the one with new batteries.

Ah. Silence, but both mics were registering on the mixer.

Reason for silence? No lights/power on Polar. Back to van to grab second Polar, and new power lead, in case that was the problem. Swap Polars, and we're rocking, until the shouts of " one more " three minutes after the designated closing time, and a personal request for one more a few minutes later, as I was putting the laptop in its bag.

Fault finding today shows that the dead Polar had destroyed the fuse completely, and when we replaced it with the spare, that went immediately. Phone call to supplier first thing tomorrow. At least they've had a ship come in, they have some in stock again.

Isn't it wonderful how when I had at least four PA systems in the shed, nothing ever went wrong? Now I've sold three rigs, and I'm down to one rig for most gigs, it explodes.

Reason for silence? No lights/power on Polar.

Fault finding today shows that the dead Polar had destroyed the fuse completely, and when we replaced it with the spare, that went immediately. Phone call to supplier first thing tomorrow. At least they've had a ship come in, they have some in stock again.

Isn't it wonderful how when I had at least four PA systems in the shed, nothing ever went wrong? Now I've sold three rigs, and I'm down to one rig for most gigs, it explodes.
    Ouch - that's my worst nightmare right there!
    I actually used to carry TWO PA systems with me at all times just in case this happened. Now it's whatever main PA I'm using on the night plus the Maui5 (it might be quieter but at least the party will carry on). Really must get around to investing in a second one really....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Ouch - that's my worst nightmare right there!
    I actually used to carry TWO PA systems with me at all times just in case this happened. Now it's whatever main PA I'm using on the night plus the Maui5 (it might be quieter but at least the party will carry on). Really must get around to investing in a second one really....
    From memory, a fault of this type hasn't happened in ages. There's always the Stingers ( 12" wooden actives ) in the van nowadays as a minimum. Last night was as close as I've got to needing them.

Eek! It's an all too common symptom of active speakers and some lights recently, no matter who makes them. Plug em in, switch on , and they either go bang or just don't work.
    I have a theory about why this happens & it's complicated & possibly related to the cleanliness of mains power at the venue. And no, using 'surge protected' extension leads & power conditioners doesn't necessarily help either.

Most stuff I've been able to repair that failed in this way originally had more than adequately rated components & it seems to be related to either a temporary dip in mains voltage confusing auto voltage switching inside the power supply itself, or a momentary spike - which surge protectors aren't capable of squishing. Surge protectors often have a limited lifetime - once they've silently protected kit so many times they can appear to continue to work (ie their outlets still perform as expected but surge protection is lost)

I hope your polar is sorted out quickly Peter & that this was just a blip.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

I hope your polar is sorted out quickly Peter & that this was just a blip.
    Doing battle with the shop tomorrow. They emailed me saying they would need the Technical lads to look at it first, to establish that it had a fault. Five to ten days turnround!

They got a phone call. Suffice to say, I informed them how many ways I could play silly persons if they tried that triick, and suggested they have a big box of correct sized fuses waiting for me tomorrow, that I may quickly and dramatically demonstrate the existence of an actual fault.

Call me picky, but I've always regarded items blowing fuses instantly as faulty. Also, I regard thirty eight days as a fairly short lifespan for a £700 item.

Watch this space. ( Actually, it will appear here).
    Last edited by Excalibur; 25-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Doing battle with the shop tomorrow. They emailed me saying they would need the Technical lads to look at it first, to establish that it had a fault. Five to ten days turnround!

They got a phone call. Suffice to say, I informed them how many ways I could play silly persons if they tried that triick, and suggested they have a big box of correct sized fuses waiting for me tomorrow, that I may quickly and dramatically demonstrate the existence of an actual fault.

Call me picky, but I've always regarded items blowing fuses instantly as faulty. Also, I regard thirty eight days as a fairly short lifespan for a £700 item.

Watch this space. ( Actually, it will appear here).
    If anything modern blows a fuse on a mains input .... It's usually worse than that it's dead, Jim. Replace a blown fuse it'll very likely go BANG when it's next switched on generally speaking.

A mate of mine had owned his dB Es1203s a matter of a fortnight or so when one exploded. The fine fine chaps at dB who proudly proclaimed 'no warranty repairs in Europe' sent him a new amp module no questions asked.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 25-10-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Default As Timmy Thomas said:

" Why can't we live together"?

Wedding in a fabulous stately home. Palatial. Perfect access, through huge glass doors you can park the van next to. Spoilt only by the attitude of the function manager. There are a set of curtains in the middle of the room, and if she had drawn them, I could have set up at my leisure, out of sight during the meal. Instead, she made me wait outside, and then only when I came in and asked how soon, said I could set up, but had to stop for speeches!

Funnily enough, tog and photo booth operator both recognised her instantly from my description. Photo booth lady said she was bordering on rude! Really needlessly unhelpful, as I had to hurry for no reason. Best part the the tog. No coloured lights, in fact no lights at all. Fair enough, nice lad, so no problem.

No coloured lights, eh? Will that apply to the two dotty lasery flashy twenty quid fixtures the manager has just proudly switched on over the dancefloor?

The gig: Groom was heavily into varied music, and had given me an eclectic but eminently workable list, and adequate leeway. Nice lad. The guests evidently hadn't read the playlist, but as the night went on they were seriously ready for a party. All in all, goes down in the diary as a very good gig, but it could have been sooooo much easier.