Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 490 of 564 FirstFirst ... 390440480488489490491492500540 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I think I'm going to get rid of the gigabar soon & replace it with either a couple of big LED PARs or washfx 2s.
    2 x WashFX2's - you know it makes sense . AWESOME lights for the money. My only criticism is that with a pair of those as the main wash, things look a little too minimalist. Whether the customers notice or not - I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    2 x WashFX2's - you know it makes sense . AWESOME lights for the money. My only criticism is that with a pair of those as the main wash, things look a little too minimalist. Whether the customers notice or not - I really don't know.
    One thing bothers me about the washfx - the PWM frequency. At intensities of < 100% it can be seen to very visibly flicker on photos & video producing banding artifacts in the camera. There's a workaround for this (in a fashion).. To make it less bright simply use fewer segments, and then only use 100% colour combinations.

Well that, or replace its control board with something I've made...

One thing bothers me about the washfx - the PWM frequency. At intensities of < 100% it can be seen to very visibly flicker on photos & video producing banding artifacts in the camera. There's a workaround for this (in a fashion).. To make it less bright simply use fewer segments, and then only use 100% colour combinations.

You say about the flickering.....I've worked with several Toggers since you first mentioned that (including some that have wanted them dimmed) and warned them of a potential issue and they've not experienced a problem with them so far.

It may well be because most of them turn up with huge ancillary lighting of their own which cancels my lights out....I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    You say about the flickering.....I've worked with several Toggers since you first mentioned that (including some that have wanted them dimmed) and warned them of a potential issue and they've not experienced a problem with them so far.

It may well be because most of them turn up with huge ancillary lighting of their own which cancels my lights out....I dunno
    Photographers.. Maybe not an issue since they're working with stills but anything shooting video using a cmos sensor might be a problem. It's a straightforward enough job to swap the control board with something that uses a much higher pwm frequency though.

According to the Chauvet rep at a recent show, this problem has been resolved on the latest models, check THIS video @ 1:03
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

That's a great idea Justin, whoever thought of it is a genius :-D
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    According to the Chauvet rep at a recent show, this problem has been resolved on the latest models, check THIS video @ 1:03
    Nope. The washfx2 uses a slightly higher pwm frequency than the original but judging by videos I've seen (Rick Webb on yt etc) they still flicker like crazy on camera

@Steven yes, whoever had that idea is a stinking geeeeenius!

And now for something completely different.

Justin - stop reading now. Peter.....pull up a chair my friend, for you especially will love the playlist at the end of this one

Tonight then, a presentation evening/family party for the local swimming club in a nice local venue (I suspect this one might become a regular gig after tonight). The bonus? Because it's a family orientated party, it's a 10:30 finish

Lots and lots of awards, to which I did the usual walk up music of various flavours which went down well (apparently DJs haven't done that in the past), into the buffet and then into the dancy stuff for the final 2 hours.

I had no idea what to expect until I was told it was a free for all and we MUST have the Hokey Cokey at some point during the evening. OK - game on (see Justin.....said you need to look away).

An awesome and refreshing change from the norm to be honest. As much as I cringe at most of what I played tonight, they lapped it up....young and old alike. The dance floor was pretty much heaving from start to finish with all age groups, and in my book...THAT'S what counts!

I don't normally publish playlists on here, but thought Peter especially would like to drool over this one, so here goes
    Literally EVERYTHING below apart from the first two were requested by the guests (and boy did they come in thick and fast...I could have gone several hours overtime with what was coming in!)

Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
    Mark Ronson Feat. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
    Idina Menzel - Let It Go
    Aqua - Barbie Girl
    Various Artists - Macarena Christmas
    Dj. Casper - Cha Cha Slide
    Village People - YMCA
    Damien - The Timewarp
    The Gap Band - Oops Upside Your Head
    Whigfield - Saturday Night
    Black Lace - Do The Conga (Single)
    Black Lace - Agadoo
    Black Lace - Superman
    Pinkfong - Baby Shark
    PSY - Gangnam Style
    Tony Christie - (is this the way to) Amarillo
    S Club 7 - Reach
    Fast Food Rockers - Fast Food Songs
    Steps - 5,6,7,8
    Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
    John Travolta; Olivia Newton-John - Grease Megamix: You're the One That I Want
    Black Lace - Hokey Cokey
    Las Ketchup - Aserejé (The Ketchup Song)
    Queen - Dont Stop me Now
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Bon Jovi - Livin On a Prayer
    Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (2007 Remastered)
    Wham - Wake me up before you go go
    The Jacksons - Blame It On The Boogie
    Tom Jones - Delilah
    Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
    Jackman - The Greatest Show
    Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You

That's it now until Tuesday night when I'm in possibly the worst venue in the world to get in and out of....the cellar at Clare College in Cambridge for my one and only corporate Christmas gig of the year.

Hmmmm, nice one Wayne. The cheesiest I got last night was 9 to 5.
    My first Christmas party, for a housing association at the hotel Matthew Western ( MattyDJ50 ) is resident at. I got the plum room, park next to the secret door ( fire exit in next car park ) and straight in.
    My, but once I kicked off after the meal, they went for it in a big way. Dancefloor was far too small at times. Music was varied, to say the least. Split into about four factions, Trance, Indie, Soul/R&B and totally unspecified 2018 music. ( Matthew had the last one, as well).

Each genre was " absolutely what everyone wanted to hear" and when it was put on, two factions would come up and point out that no it wasn't. It was ever thus. I kept the styles on rotation as much as is humanly possible, and to be fair, I had a ball. Much drink had been taken, and the attrition rate was high. Taxis kept removing guests, and by the end, I only had six people left. Still a great night though.

Mention must be made of the kit. I used the Proels, as I expected to need a bit of extra power, and when ticking over during background, they sounded awful after the Mauis. Turn 'em up for dancing, and we're in business, they just keep delivering.
    Lighting: I've just got some Stagg battens. Holy crap, they're awesome! The best bit is that they function perfectly adequately with a tiny 6 channel DMX controller, like the Pulse/Transcension type. Four colour dimming, pattern select, and speed control. Only gripe is that you can't dim it when it's on pattern select, but that's a minor issue. It added a new dimension to last night's lighting for me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Last night was my penultimate wedding of the year, and a first for me: a silent disco.

I was originally booked as a typical disco. It was only a couple of months ago that the bride announced to me that she'd booked silent disco headphones!

Happy to go ahead with it and see how this worked (but I must admit, I was sceptical - how do you entice people up to dance when they can't hear what you're playing?)

So the evening comes and everything through the day has been great, with my background music and hosting.

After the first dance, I announce the silent disco, and invite guests to get their headphones.

There were 2 transmitters, so I was DJ'ing two sets at the same time - one was 80s and the other was modern pop/dance.

What made this was the headphones for the silent disco - they lit up in the colour you were listening to, so I could very quickly see which channel guests were listening to. It's amazing how when a big song comes on one channel that people listening to it get the people around them to tune in to it as well! So I spent the night almost trying to get people to bounce between channels!

It's very strange taking headphones off and hearing half the audience singing 99 Red Balloons and the other half singing Uptown Funk! Yes, people do sing out loud with the headphones on!

It was certainly a very different experience, and one I'd love to do again - it definitely gave a different twist to the evening. This wedding had around 150 guests, ad I think the number of guests helped. I wouldn't want to do it with a small number of guests. Having 2 channels really helped with the success of the event... I wouldn't do it with just 1 channel of music, unless it was a silent disco just for an hour at the end of the night.

But drunk people with headphones on their head - I wouldn't want them to be my headphones, so I won't be investing in the kit any time soon!!