Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 521 of 564 FirstFirst ... 21421471511519520521522523531 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,210 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default Hands, face, SPACE!

My first gig back last night proved to be... Let's be charitable & say 'interesting' shall we?

Long story short... Too little space for all the wedding junk, 4 piece band, vole letters, twinkly trip hazard, me and 120 guests. Darn good job my rig is mega flexible, but I'm no fan of wearing my PA as headphones, especially when I've forgotten my earplugs. Band rammed the floor at times, as did I, but I quickly bored of playing the part of bridal jukebox.

I survived! Did I enjoy it? Meh I've had better nights. It's not exactly filled me with hope for my DJing future. I think maybe I've enjoyed my weekends off a little too much.

This is all despite all but one of the guests being polite as pie, and receiving an ovation at the end. Is it all really worth it?
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 25-07-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Wayne-Bog off!

Matthew Western and I were back at his residency, with weddings booked till 1am. Not huge numbers, and two crowds that were a dead cert to finish early. Yeah, right.

Both of us had less than twenty guests at 10pm, and mine limped along to 12.50am, while Matthew was required to run till 1am. I suspect both of us lost the will to live around 11.30pm.

Not immensely satisfying gigs, but as a colleague texted me from the 18th Birthday he was doing- " Got the money, Carrott".

I get my revenge on young Wayne, cos instead of piloting a truck round the fens, I'm going to a pub for dinner, and a client meeting.

Exactly what he said, apart from losing the will around 10.15pm!

Nice drive home though on a clear motorway to discover there was still some lemon meringue pie and vanilla cheesecake left in the fridge from grandson's birthday party. not for long though!

My First Gig since February 2020, Spend most of Friday and Saturday nervous, tested equipment over and over in the week before. Took backup of everything. All setup come 6pm Saturday and all running fine.

As previously mentioned above, My Guests spent most of the time outside till around 9.30 when they started to trickle in. Bride and Groom provided a list of pretty much Commercial House/Garage and Jungle. Requested NO CHEESE or PARTY Songs

Few funny looks from Guests, Many Requests for Macarena, Politely declined and explained, Bridge and Groom were absolutely ****faced by midnight. Danced 3 hours solid, Fell out function room, not a single thanks. Ah Well. Rolled into bed about 3am.

Did think to myself have I really missed this? Yes I've missed the money but not the drunken antics and playlists or out till the early hours.
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Something a little easier for me this weekend - a party for 30 nine year old kids!

It's been rescheduled and rescheduled as have most of the gigs I'm doing at the moment. Today was for a 9 year old boy.....it was originally booked for his 6 year old sister last year before everything went a bit wrong.

VERY small village hall, but a good payer as they went for my "Glow Party" with UV lighting (new for 2020 and never got used!). I actually got stage fright for this one, wondering if I could still do kids parties. I needn't have lost any sleep!

Just like the weddings I've done over the past few weeks, nothing's changed. The music was the same, the games were the same....it's like lockdown was literally 16 months of some sort of time-freeze.

Very happy parents and grandparents at the end of the party singing my praises....job's a good-un!

And then something went wrong! One of my van tyres literally exploded in the car park. It's felt like it's lost a balancing weight over the past couple of days and was booked in to be looked at next week (didn't feel too serious and no signs of any physical problems when I looked at it yesterday). But when you go to reload the kit into the van after an exhausting 2 hours of adrenaline packed fun for the kiddies and find that the steel wire that holds the tyre together has exploded out of it leaving several massive holes....well I thanked my lucky stars I'd not been bombing down the motorway at the time! I've never actually seen a perfectly healthy looking tyre fail in this way...it's a bit unnerving to think that could happen!

Hey ho - nothing next week (it was postponed to next year). So it's a weekend off of the day job AND the real job until my next wedding on 14th August (which is my only gig in August as everyone else decided to move ).

Roll on September and October if they're allowed to go ahead (I'm hearing from several people that work within the NHS that some form of re-introduction of restrictions is expected by the end of September )

I'm now at the end of a very tiring two weeks. The en-mass rescheduling that has happened over the last two years left me with a whole month of weddings in two weeks. That's 9 weddings over the last 13 days so I've only had 4 nights when I haven't been out working since restrictions lifted on the 19th July.

It's generally been a great run, despite the heat and then the rain people have been up for a party, despite lots being midweek. There's been one or two with lower numbers than expected that have made it hard to create much atmosphere, but the rest have been fun and have reminded me why I love and hate doing this. I've had the horrible drunken requests, the random playlists, the guy who couldn't stand and I had to have physically removed from the front of my booth and all the other usual PITA customers but, overall, they've been quite well behaved.

Financially, it's been a bumper month and best 2019 revenue and profit, despite being closed for half the month.... But my feet are killing me!!!

I've also had some panic moments. I ran one of the first gigs back on one speaker after the amp module failed on one of my FBTs and then another with only the LF driver in one of the cabs after the tweeter failed in my backup speakers!! Everything else has behaved though....

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm now at the end of a very tiring two weeks. The en-mass rescheduling that has happened over the last two years left me with a whole month of weddings in two weeks. That's 9 weddings over the last 13 days so I've only had 4 nights when I haven't been out working since restrictions lifted on the 19th July.

It's generally been a great run, despite the heat and then the rain people have been up for a party, despite lots being midweek. There's been one or two with lower numbers than expected that have made it hard to create much atmosphere, but the rest have been fun and have reminded me why I love and hate doing this. I've had the horrible drunken requests, the random playlists, the guy who couldn't stand and I had to have physically removed from the front of my booth and all the other usual PITA customers but, overall, they've been quite well behaved.

Financially, it's been a bumper month and best 2019 revenue and profit, despite being closed for half the month.... But my feet are killing me!!!

I've also had some panic moments. I ran one of the first gigs back on one speaker after the amp module failed on one of my FBTs and then another with only the LF driver in one of the cabs after the tweeter failed in my backup speakers!! Everything else has behaved though....

Julian
    I've not been anything like as busy as that but I have been reacquainted with some old faces:

Mrs Cut Throat Gesture when the dancefloor is full

Her cousin Ms "the bride (who has literally ran out of space on my planner so added a Spotify playlist filled with cheese, indie and wedding classics...) wants you to play some chart stuff not this old rubbish"

Funny "I'll put a e request on ask the DJ WITH MY MATES NAME ON IT HAR HAR HAR HAR" dude.

And good old sent to your room to sleep off the drink before dinner has finished then turn up I'm 3 quarters or the way packed up and ask for a request guy.

I was in Inverness last night for my gig. Turns out the bride and her family all support Hearts, the groom and his Rangers. If you follow Scottish football at all you can join the dots for the kind of mood they were in last night

Rotten sleep in the digs I booked so O hit the road at 8 and I'm home with my feet up on the couch and a stack of ribs smoking out the back. I may wander out for a beer or 4 later on

Default Saturday night's alright for fighting.

Someone should write a song about that, eh? wedding in a beautiful marquee, in a very soggy field with slopes, wet gateways, and not a level area to be found. The wedding planner was tireless, and gave her job 110%. She was still there at closing, tidying the marquee! I'd done the early setup bit ( good job, which was a good move. Having had a site visit on Friday ( when people were getting vehicles stuck in the field ) I stripped down my rig a lot. Two Maui 5s, Helix and two par cans, and rustic booth.

I took over from the harpist around six, and started in a low key fashion. It was tricky pacing my playlist, and if I'm honest, I could have done a better job in some ways, as some guests reckoned I'd played bangers a bit early. Solution in their eyes? Play 'em again. Works for me.

We were proceeding in a steady manner when ice cubes flew past my ear, from a glass dropped in the fracas on the floor. Two lads were having a real go at each other, and it escalated when it went outside. My poor bride who'd been wearing a beautifully inscribed pinny to keep her beautiful frock clean from the meal came in looking like she'd just done a tough mudder race!

I think some folk left/were persuaded to leave at this point, but spirits picked up, and we had a fairly good night, although I never quite was in control of the floor.
    Happy bride and groom, happy planner, and not unhappy DJ, so all good.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Look on the bright side,one of the groomsmen at my brother's gig last night got lifted before they'd even finished the meal

Last night could have made the record books if the venue manager's pre-gig chat was any yardstick but sadly whatever was making the party misbehave before the evening started had either run out or worn off (sniff, sniff) by the time the evening reception got underway .

All in all, I found out the guests liked UB40, Celine Dion I'm alive, UB40, UB40 & UB40 with a bit of Oasis & UB40 chucked in for good measure. A thoroughly miserable night for me

Well, last weeks wedding had a VIP guest - blooming Chancellor Rishi Sunak, you know, the one who claimed we were unviable
    Dunno who was more amazed - me or the photographer, but quite a sight seeing the person who claimed the wedding industry was unviable attending a wedding.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk