Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 554 of 564 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    For going above and beyond the call of duty, helping out a colleague, and just generally being awesome.

The back story: That famous law dictates that I've had three fairly last minute enquiries for discos less than five miles from my house, when I'm already booked. The final one will see Dave Hughes ( Davesounds ) covering ( thanks Dave, really appreciated ) until hopefully I return from an early finish Hockey presentation. Next Saturday is mainly kit hire for a party with bands and a DJ who is going to have to run the night.

Last night was a wedding vow renewal for a couple living nearby. There were to be numerous DJs there who were planning on doing guest slots, we had a Ceilidh band who were allegedly going to need some kit in the field behind our barn, and anything else that we might be called upon to provide.

Due to the requirements, Dave turned up on Friday to install some kit with me, and brought an impressive array of lights, which we hung from the gantry provided for us, a mighty structure you could have hung a car from! I decided we needed a bit more wash, and put some in on Saturday morning. We returned early Saturday afternoon to put the finishing touches to everything, tidy up, and be ready for the Ceilidh band, who turned up, worked in a totally different area than we expected, and were lovely fellas and totally self sufficient.
    As Dave said, if we'd waited till 8pm to come back, we'd have been needed for a dozen things. Because we were early, we weren't but we had a precursor of an issue. While moving a speaker cable I tripped the power. Dave found out where the breaker had cut out, and we were back in business.

Nobody really wanted to see us till late, as food and drink were a hundred yards away, and it was sweltering in the barn. Dave was the DJ for the night, I wasn't going to attempt to drive his Denons, ( don't know what they were, but they come in three pieces, and look like my Prime when it's been on a bodybuilding course, and lived on steroids for a month ) other than to load a track on one side, just to prove I could. He was going great guns, until we lost power again, virtually the whole venue went off. We couldn't rectify the fault, other than to see it was on my cables, not Dave's, so brought the Maui 5 GO in to run on batteries, once Dave had restored lights.

Various of the DJs in the crowd wanted to have a bash on the decks, one lad wanted to plug his laptop in, which was technically possible, but not going to happen. ( Dave had instructed them to bring USB sticks if they wanted a go previously ) a couple of them had a try at it, and made a total pig's ear of things. They handed the reins back to Dave, who switched off near 2am, and we stripped as much kit as we could, before both coming to my house to bed.

6am this morning, and I'm tentatively plugging in the PA which had seemingly died last night. I didn't run it up too much, but everything lit up, and made a noise. Looks like a day of checking cables beckons. We grabbed the last of the kit this morning, and Dave headed home to civilisation.

Once again, heartfelt thanks to the man for facilitating something I couldn't have done myself in any way, and generally being awesome. Thanks mate, I owe you.
    Total loss of power at an event may not be due to faulty equipment.
    Although overloads may cause this.
    Many mains' supplies run through an R.C.D. rated at 30mA sensitivity. So a small leakage to earth can trip them OFF. (20 to 30 mA typically. Natural functional leakage can occur from electronic stuff like computers or other equipment, as well as from appliances running on the same supply elsewhere in the building.
    Natural healthy earth leakages can occur by accumulation of many small leakages so can reach a point where an R.C.D. may trip OFF.
    R.C.Ds are sensitive as they are designed to save lives and prevent fires under fault conditions.

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Total loss of power at an event may not be due to faulty equipment.
    Although overloads may cause this.
    Many mains' supplies run through an R.C.D. rated at 30mA sensitivity. So a small leakage to earth can trip them OFF. (20 to 30 mA typically. Natural functional leakage can occur from electronic stuff like computers or other equipment, as well as from appliances running on the same supply elsewhere in the building.
    Natural healthy earth leakages can occur by accumulation of many small leakages so can reach a point where an R.C.D. may trip OFF.
    R.C.Ds are sensitive as they are designed to save lives and prevent fires under fault conditions.

Zog.
    In my life the usual causes are hog roasts and ice cream carts. Usually because water has made its way into a poorly protected connection somewhere when we get unexpected rain.

Unexpected rain is a bit of an oxymoron in England

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Thursday night's wedding: Radiohead, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins etc...

Friday's: tonnes of ceilidh and trad Gaelic tunes.

Both turned out brilliant and had excellent feedback from both.

Couple of weeks off now. We're away to Cumbria with the dog tomorrow and I'll actually get some use out of my season ticket at Ibrox for the forseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    In my life the usual causes are hog roasts and ice cream carts. Usually because water has made its way into a poorly protected connection somewhere when we get unexpected rain.

Unexpected rain is a bit of an oxymoron in England

Julian
    Things which we as D.J.s have no overall control. If individual loads were fed separately such as through R.C.B.Os then only individual loads would be disconnected under fault conditions, but that is down to the venue owner not us.

My smoke machine was blamed by the mobile bar at one gig when the hall R.C.D. tripped off. The R.C.D. was located in a locked cupboard and the caretaker had to be summoned. He arrived at the start of the event in a bad mood. The prime suspect was the mobile bar's beer chiller.

R.C.B.Os rule O.K. Unfortunately if a 32 Amp ring circuit is used that has many 13 Amp. sockets connected to it, just one faulty appliance on the ring will knock off many sockets.

British Standard 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations) in Regulation 411.3.3 requires all 13 Amp socket outlets and mobile equipment, used outdoors, generally to be protected by a 30mA R.C.D. Local authorities usually insist on a R.C.D. protected socket or sockets to be provided in such places that have a stage or invite bands or other entertainers to perform in public. Examples can be pubs, village halls and hotels etc.

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 31-07-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Well this is a nice change - home at 11:20pm after a gig at my local village hall

This one was the local swimming club who I've done the Xmas parties for since I can remember, albeit in a different venue. To have them in my local hall was a nice change. It was a "family party" to celebrate the centenary of the club and as always, nice and relaxed with the focus on the kid's side of things.

Start off with a presentation of awards (there goes the first hour), followed by a mahusive spread of food the parents had brought along (another half an hour gone) and we're onto pure and unadulterated cheddar as is the law with their parties.

Not as busy as usual on the dance floor as there's a very nice play park outside and on a warm and humid night like tonight, that's where the stars of the show wanted to be. Never mind, still a good night and everyone left happy.

The only downside is that one of my WashFX2's blew early doors. I've already got a replacement coming but would be handy if I could find a spare control board for the dud one rather than skipping it - I like those lights.

Next week will be an interesting one in many ways - more on that in members
    Sometimes electronic devices can be damaged by high Voltage spikes on the mains. These spikes can be caused by switching off inductive loads like motors. Pub fridges/chillers can be a cause of such spikes. A surge/spike suppressor may prevent such electronic damage.
    Some 4 way trailing sockets contain them and they can prevent damage to computers and the like as well. They will "clamp" a high Voltage spike on the mains to safe(ish) levels.

Zog.

OK, I'm in DJ Hell - THREE weddings in FIVE days. I've just got home from wedding number two. I'm actually earning 90% of my August salary in a single week

Monday (OK, technically July) was for a young lady I've known for years. She trusted me to do the right thing at a venue I've worked in a lot and it just worked. OK, things went wrong like bridesmaids setting off confetti waaaay too early during the first dance and freaking both me and the photographers out but it just worked. An evening of cheese, indie and everything else in between saw me going home a very happy (if cream crackered) DJ.

Wednesday: I crossed over the borders into Lincolnshire. It's only 30 miles but over an hour's trip - hey ho. I wasn't expecting much from a Wednesday night wedding but how wrong can you be? Turns out they're all shift workers for either the NHS or the police and Wednesday night's the same as Saturday in their book. An absolutely AWESOME midweek wedding which I could have taken a LOT less kit to.

That just leaves one more to go. I'm running on fumes, and have a day to recover before Friday's marathon 12 hour gig (yup, ceremony at midday, carriages at midnight...if it goes that long!). Wish me luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

Couple of weeks off now. We're away to Cumbria with the dog tomorrow and I'll actually get some use out of my season ticket at Ibrox for the forseeable.
    As I am now a full time DJ who also doesn't work weekends, I also treat myself to a football season ticket - only to find the first 6 games I am on holiday, going to a concert or it is midweek and I have a wedding
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    As I am now a full time DJ who also doesn't work weekends, I also treat myself to a football season ticket - only to find the first 6 games I am on holiday, going to a concert or it is midweek and I have a wedding

I think this is the 6th year I've had my ticket and between covid, gigs, holidays and being way too nice and giving it to family members that are struggling to get one I've seen a grand total of 1 Old Firm game in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

I think this is the 6th year I've had my ticket and between covid, gigs, holidays and being way too nice and giving it to family members that are struggling to get one I've seen a grand total of 1 Old Firm game in the flesh.
    £30 for Killie away and that's through my brother in law who works for ticketing at Rangers

Apparently they have the best pies in the country. I'm not one for half time grub but I'll need to invest.

Name:  IMG-20230805-WA0002.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  53.1 KB

Default Two down, one to go.

Friday:
    This was different, but I could get used to it. A venue in Hull I've never worked before, but a little local knowledge from young John Brown was invaluable. For the princely sum of £2, you can park the motor in the car park near the venue, and carry your playout upstairs into the venue. Sound and lights are installed, and you get a bijou little annexe to work from. Just plug into the Yamaha mixer, and you're good to go.
    It was an 18th, with various ages, and I couldn't really find a lot of music with a really wide appeal. R&B of some sort seemed to be the young 'uns choice, 90s dance was Mum's, but she didn't push it too much, and everyone else was fairly laid back about the music.
    Everyone happy at the end of the night, so job done, and a pack up time approaching ten minutes. I could grow to like this.

Saturday:
    What do I say? Last minute wedding booking, due to the Chosen One giving a somewhat implausible excuse about " licences expiring ". A lovely hall, decorated by the family in Barbie style, pink from end to end. Lots of young persons present, many of whom appeared to belong to the happy couple.
    It was a classic case of tired guest syndrome, with low numbers in a big hall. Again, no musical magic bullet, and I was happy to see the appointed finish time appear. Groom was happy ( which wasn't amazing, as he'd been indulging in the falling over liquid all night, in between harassing me for requests ), so job done again.

Off to Wakefield shortly, where I face seven hours of Karaoke. Whoopee.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk