Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 11 of 564 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Had a good one myself last night,

Wedding for a friend at work and all my directors were there and were very impressed with the equipment that i put in place,

The manager was a bit of a prat though, She said can we get the 1st dance out of the way now as i want to serve the buffet so i replied to her take it up with the bride and groom as it is there day and you can't over rule by wanting to serve the buffet. I think she was abit like this as she probably wanted to go home early or something. Then there were some dodgy remarks about the hotels resident Dj that he would wipe the floor with me in regards to Dj'in but then that changed once i packed the dancefloor.

All in all some good music from 70's - Now
    Alot of Brit-Pop and Indie which went down a storm for the bride and groom as they had requested it.

Well done Tom, congratulations. Great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Well done Tom!

Now you've done your first wedding, you don't need to worry about them anymore, so you can add them to the list of occasions you cover.

The only bit of advice I can give after reading your post is about the first dance. It's always a good idea to find out what they want for their first dance BEFORE the actual gig. That way, you can make sure you have it.

Here's to your next wedding!

Was this the Wedding where they didnt know what to choose for the first Dance? If so never mind--if it wasnt--your lucky to have got away with it.

Even if you screw up on the rest of the night the FIRST DANCE is the one thing not to get wrong--unless there is no preference---that seems a bit unlikely.

Glad to hear the rest went well.

My thanks to Corabar Steve and Matt at Spin for some guidance on my play list at the Wedding last night which included Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers--not Bands that I listen to or know much about so I was wondering when best to play these tracks.

First dance--My Hero ( acoustic) by Foo Fighters--acoustic--acoustic??? The bass nearly took my Subs out

I pointed out to the client that the audience were handwriting me play lists on serviettes--which included Cheese/80s e.g. Locomotion-Kylie, You are the one and only etc so Foo or Chilis was going to be a bit of a culture shock.

So we agreed to have the set in the last half hour--a wise move as most people were looking for a rest-- so whilst a few enthusiastic dancers (about 4) did strange things on the dance floor to these Bands--the rest of us got a break

I played Pretender by Foo Fighters twice by accident (dont ask) and I actually began to like it--it filled the floor to my surprise

After that a few slow ones --finishing with Dont stop me now ( naturally)

Ah well--a great night--thanks again for the help from Forum members.

CRAZY K

Wedding last night. Did the bride's parent's silver wedding a few years ago and she remembered me and booked me even though she has moved away. Couldnt get in till after the wedding breakfast. Nice toastmaster who announced the first dance and got everyone in at 6 pm. Rest of the gig went OK. Fairly relaxed family occasion. Interesting point was that the bride and groom left at 9.30 and the hall was booked till midnight. Lots of people left shortly after the b & g but I managed to keep a few dancing to a variety of stuff. Eventually the bar got fed up and called last orders at 10.30 (no one was drinking) and the family decided to call it a night at 10.45 so we got an early night!
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    The only bit of advice I can give after reading your post is about the first dance. It's always a good idea to find out what they want for their first dance BEFORE the actual gig. That way, you can make sure you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Was this the Wedding where they didnt know what to choose for the first Dance?
    That's what I was thinking.
    My thanks to Corabar Steve and Matt at Spin for some guidance on my play list at the Wedding last night which included Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers--not Bands that I listen to or know much about so I was wondering when best to play these tracks.
    No worries.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Was this the Wedding where they didnt know what to choose for the first Dance? If so never mind--if it wasnt--your lucky to have got away with it.
    It was yeah. . I was annoyed with myself as I did not have the song. I guess its another reason to buy pre-release cd's as i prefer to have a cd.

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    It was yeah. . I was annoyed with myself as I did not have the song. I guess its another reason to buy pre-release cd's as i prefer to have a cd.
    You have to insist on being told--otherwise no guarantees.

Its not your fault--unless you forgot to remind them

CRAZY K

Sorry to hear you had a bad experaince. .

Where was the gig if you dont mind me asking as I live in Kent aswell.

sounds like you were in a club - where was security - hope you can identify and nail the I've been about a fair bit and have a story which might make you feel better, at least i hope

Once upon a time i worked in a club local to me. First club i ever worked in.

It was owned by a guy from Leeds who didnt know this area and as a result had hired in door staff that he knew from his other club up there.

It was only open thur,fri &sat and this was pre launch opening weekend ( a test if you will, before the advertised event)

Turns out the local (nothing proved) door service provider didn't like this invasion from afar so at around midnight 8-10 masked & very large guys burst in, knocked out the door staff who were on duty (only 4 as not expecting to be busy) and ensured that everyone ( and i do mean everyone) got at least a punch in the face.
    Finally to approach the manager/owner to make a point of saying "you need better security - we dont take kindly to stranger round here" or words to that effect.

Like you are now Daryl i was terrified and, like you vowed to give it up at 18/19 i didn't need that in my life.

Reading this back it might appear that its not really helping much but the point is, I did carry on, I did get over it & in 15 years or so have never seen anything like it since. Its extremely rare and you shouldn't be put off by it.

If you are resident at this place, and your description leads me to think it is a club you work in.

Speak to the owner/manager and express that security needs improving at the booth.

After the incident I had, these measures were put in place.
    1) a panic/call button sraight to the door/reception area always manned (helpfull for door staff too, if they need assistance and cant call themselves)
    2) sides to the booth were raised so it wasn't possible for someone to reach you.
    3) more secure door at rear which could only be opened/locked from inside
    4) additional alarm trigger for 1st responce (linked to police)(for real emergency)

To sum up a) it will probably never happen again & b) there are things that can be done to better protect the DJ.

I hope you feel better soon try not to let it get to you, best advice i can give is to stand back for a while think about it, then get back on the horse and forget it!

But if you need to talk you have friends on here or you can pm me if you feel that more appropriate.

chin up matey
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

When you say "looking for a dealer", Daryl, I'm assuming you don't mean for a game of cards. If drugs are rife at your venue maybe you should be looking for work somewhere a bit safer. It's bad enough dealing with drunks but idiots high on other stuff is something we can all do without. Remember, the most important thing in your job is your own safety. You can't earn your living from a hospital bed (or even worse).

I've been in a lucky position over the years cos, although I've seen trouble (some bad enough to turn your stomach), I've never been on the receiving end. And that's the way I'm hoping it will stay.

Touch wood. Fingers crossed. Rub my leather heather (Oh, I haven't got any of that. There's never an old gypsy woman around when you want one, is there?!?)

That should have been "lucky heather". My brain's working but my fingers aren't doing what they are told!

Tom. Well done on your first wedding. You're probably now wondering what you were worrying about before! If you treat them as a family party and take just a little bit more care, especially with the first dance, speeches and the like, then everyone has a good time and you could find yourself getting more bookings them.

Incidentally, what was the first dance track that they requested that you didn't have?
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 13-04-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!