Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 20 of 564 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120520 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    in fairness it wasn't a TA person that kicked off and all of the army people came over and apologised at the end for what had gone on and to see if we were ok which i thought was thoughtful of them.
    Makes a change, the ones round here are the biggest bunch of :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: you've ever met. Real toy soldier complex & all think they're God's gift to women (which in itself is quite funny as they're all pug ugly). The lot of them have been barred from our Friday residency after an incident a few weeks back, involving an innocent bystander & death threats.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Sorry to hear you had a duff one. We all get them from time to time.
    My weekend was great! The cabaret night was good. I can thoroughly recommend Abba Dabba Doo. Very good show. Only strange thing was that the band were in the prime spot next to the dancefloor in the middle of the room and I had to set up in the corner with tables in front of me and run long cables to my speakers ( carefully gaffered down - of course).
    Saturday night was a firms do. I have done them several times before and they have been alright but not wild. It is a transport company and most of the audience are mechanics etc with wives and girlfriends. Last night was a different venue and the numbers had fallen to only 40. In the event only 30 turned up. It was a lovely evening and I played background whilst they had pre dinner drinks and then during the meal. On an intercourse fag break one of the ladies said she had recently been to the Eagles gig at O2 and how great it was. When we got back in I played some and she and her husband were very pleased. When the dancing started it was a little slow at first but it gradually built up over the night and by the last hour it was mental with all 30 of them on the small dancefloor for the last hour. They ranged in age from 16 years to 60's. I had played a mixture of music all evening but finished up with the usual party stuff. Well pleased.
    Only interesting thing is that this venue has a wooden dancefloor which the staff lay down on the carpet and it crept a good 12 inches and by the end of the night the front of my disco stands and my speakers were on the dancefloor and all the equipment was at an angle ( I couldnt move back as I was against the wall). Thank God for my KAM anti shock cd players. I've had this before with this sort of floor. Anyone else. Any ideas on how to stop it?
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Tell them to get a decent dance floor Theo.

My gig last night was quite bizarre. During the buffet, most people were outside apart from 2-3 couples who starting doing quicksteps and waltzes, so I went and chatted to them and asked them if they wanted any particular tempo played.

I then played a selection of strict tempo and big band for around 30 minutes...it almost turned into strictly come dancing!

The evening was very diverse with me mixing old school 90s dance for the last half an hour - I was playing stuff like Josh Wink, Cafe del Mar, Atlantic Ocean, N'Trance, Klubbheads and Faithless and thoroughly enjoying the tunes, as the guests who were really going for it.

Very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Tell them to get a decent dance floor Theo.
    Ha Ha! Seriously I had the same problem at a very posh international golf club in Sandwich. Huge room with personalised Wilton carpet and a very nice wooden sectional dancefloor laid on top. As the room was huge I set back a long way from the dancefloor but it still moved over 12 inches. In those days I was using the Denon players and they did not respond well to vibration; so I had to stop the show and move my gear back half way through the evening but by the end of the night (it was NYE) it had moved up to me again.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Yup, wooden dancefloors on carpets creep... even with "anti-creep" friction underlay. I played at Eden Park in Auckland (yes, the cricket/rugby ground) and on good nights 500 students could move it 30 inches or more!
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Get decent dance floors then that don't move. The ones we use don't move.

We encountered the "walking" dance floor at Sunborn Yatch Hotel. It started the evening in the centre of the room and finished it in pieces against the wall. I don't think my bass bins on the floor (no stage) helped though.

Being a helpful kind of guy, I naturally pointed it out to the manager as an H&S issue. Perhaps I should have offered the use of my gaffa tape.
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Get decent dance floors then that don't move. The ones we use don't move.
    After five minutes with an SDS drill, and half a dozen multi montis, they usually stay put!

Quote Originally Posted by robbiedj View Post
    We encountered the "walking" dance floor at Sunborn Yatch Hotel. It started the evening in the centre of the room and finished it in pieces against the wall. I don't think my bass bins on the floor (no stage) helped though.

Being a helpful kind of guy, I naturally pointed it out to the manager as an H&S issue. Perhaps I should have offered the use of my gaffa tape.
    Or my method.

We had a dancefloor last night what split up into pieces,
    I have been thinking about supplying my own dancefloors to some venues for an extra cost.