Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 30 of 564 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130530 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default VERY VERY BAD GIG :( **long post warning**

Friday Night, a 21st in my hometown, so thought it'd be a nice easy gig, and was looking forward to it, as they wanted plenty of dance, bassline and a bit of dubstep!
    Set up, turned my amp on, and nothing out of the one channel tried all connections, cables etc... and nothing! Only way it'd work was to use the one channel that was working and the bridge output, to get music to both speakers. Didn't want to work all night like that, so sent my roadie to the lock up (only down the road) to get my spare amp. He grabbed the first amp he could from the lock up, which was James H's as I borrowed one a while back while mine was getting repaired. Hooked it up, switched it on, and blew the electrics for the whole room (the amp did have a dodgy plug on, which was replaced, and don't know what had happened, so in James's bad books now, and got to get that fixed ASAP). So back to my original amp with an output from channel 2 and bridge
    Night itself was very quiet, maximum of about 30 guests (after being told around 150), and only dancers were kids, so the Step Up 2 sound track was all they wanted!
    Finished the gig, was packing down, and as usual everyone was hanging around the door and would not let us get past (we wanted a quick get away so we could have a long deserved drink in the local nightclub). Roadie went through the door with the good old "excuse me guys", then brushed straight through. Now although he didn't knock anyone like I would of the local chavs who was in the other bar didn't like it, and decided to follow him out and have a word with him! Luckily we were on our last trip, so just shut the doors, and went to drive off. They surrounded our van, and started bangin the sides to make us come out Houses across the road heard the row, and called the police, and within about 2 mins of us edging forward and forward moving them out the way we had 8 coppers turn up to sort them out! We were asked if we were ok, and drove off!

By Saturday morning I'd had enough of disco's and was ready to jack it in! Went to my day job, got a call sayin my gran had took a turn for the worse in hospital, and to go visit, which didn't sound good (she's a little better now).
    Then had a gig to cover for a member of here, which I have to say was great. A wedding with a 7:30pm start, 11pm finish, 10 mins from home, back at home by 12 with a kebab in hand Which has restored my faith a little! Lets hope my gig this Saturday is better!
    Adam F
    07736 834 750
    My opinions expressed here, are MY opinions, and NOT of any company I may represent, liase or work with or for.

I had my third gig tonight, a yr 6 leavers disco at my old school. Was vernervous going into this as I if i'm honest arn't too fond of kids(never do as theyre told) however it turned out quite good. My girlfriend came with me as she is great with kids of all ages and likes to help out so she sorted out some dance competitions etc with prizes which really went down well.

All in all it wasn't anything like I expected and it was only 2 hours so it went great. Didn't have much time to set up mind so no pics i'm afraid.

Another corporate tonight for Waitrose. Started at 7:30pm with background music - everyone was outside so a bit of a pointless excercise.

BBQ for 8pm - 3 or 4 people offered me food, so I had some for a change.

No-one could hear the music outside and they wanted to do a raffle so I nipped outside and got a little 8" WAudio active out of the van and a long lead, slaved off one of the RCFs and had an instant PA outside for them to do the raffle with!

Anyway, I actually started playing at around 10pm and finished at 11:30pm and the staff gave me a hand out of the venue. Nice evening!

I don't know what I'm still doing on here though - I have to be at a local school for 8am for their sports day....

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Another corporate tonight for Waitrose. Started at 7:30pm with background music - everyone was outside so a bit of a pointless excercise.

BBQ for 8pm - 3 or 4 people offered me food, so I had some for a change.

No-one could hear the music outside and they wanted to do a raffle so I nipped outside and got a little 8" WAudio active out of the van and a long lead, slaved off one of the RCFs and had an instant PA outside for them to do the raffle with!

Anyway, I actually started playing at around 10pm and finished at 11:30pm and the staff gave me a hand out of the venue. Nice evening!

I don't know what I'm still doing on here though - I have to be at a local school for 8am for their sports day....
    good luck in the parents race Daz
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post

You must have been held back a lot of years Darren?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    good luck in the parents race Daz
    Kids aren't there anymore......Jr school tomorrow

Did a wedding for Twinspin, in his resident Hotel. For the first time ever, I've seen a wedding run ahead of schedule! 8pm start, from 7.30 the venue staff were asking was I ready, and everybody had gone at 11.30 I gather John had some equipment problems, which he may post himself.

There's one thing worse than a gig where an insistent customer gives you a rigid playlist in advance. It's when you are given it as you set up!
    Whether it contributed to my early finish, I don't know, but customers, particularly Groom were happy, and full of requests. Venue staff and I were even happier.

Two good gigs this weekend.

Friday was a corporate function for a finance company at Kempton Park racecourse.

The evening included a "Weakest link" game, which they did well, as each person stood at a podium which was miked up, and the questions were asked by an Anne Robinson lookalike. After each round, she said it was now time to vote off the weakest link, which was my cue to play the theme music.

They also had a barbecue, so I had a yummy burger, some barbecued chicken and some new potatoes.

The dance floor was pretty busy, so a successful evening all round.

Last night (Saturday) I did the wedding for a girl I used to work with in the bank in the function room above a pub on Putney Heath.

I'd worked there before...but it was about 10 years ago & I'd forgotton the function room was upstairs. Hopefully that will be my one & only upstairs gig this year!

It was great to catch up with some of the girls I used to work with, and the evening went very well, with lots of dancing.

Because I used to work with the bride, I gave them a £25 discount, but at the end of the night they gave me a £20 tip...which was a pleasant surprise.

Job done!

Last edited by rob1963; 20-07-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Digital Rob?
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Digital Rob?
    Not yet Tony!