Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 31 of 564 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131531 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Not yet Tony!

Come on Rob....or you will be buying 2 Produb....

Glad you and Peter had a good one....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

The evening included a "Weakest link" game, which they did well, as each person stood at a podium which was miked up, and the questions were asked by an Anne Robinson lookalike.

Did you just wear a wig, or go for the full leather outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Digital Rob?
    Not yet Tony!

Aw come on Rob! Some of us have become seasoned professionals with it, and you haven't even started! You could have come and driven the Ipods for me on Saturday if I'd known!

in the function room above a pub on Putney Heath.
    Green Man?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    There's one thing worse than a gig where an insistent customer gives you a rigid playlist in advance. It's when you are given it as you set up!
    Whether it contributed to my early finish, I don't know, but customers, particularly Groom were happy, and full of requests. Venue staff and I were even happier.
    We had that last Saturday.

Despite asking several times over the last few weeks, birthday girl (a local magistrate) produced 2 scruffy pieces of A5 with scrawled notes in all directions, saying "These are some favourites, if you have them and can fit them in." We could barely read it!
    The list didn't last past the background music, as, having tried a few beats and genres, we soon picked up their favoured area.
    As expected (50th birthday) it was 70's based. Chucking on Superstition (Stevie Wonder, natch!) pulled them in and we were away. We then "cherry-picked" from list - Nina Simone, Chaka Khan, Boney M's Sunny etc. That kept them going until we finished with Proclaimers (no sound limiter, thank goodness ) and Time Of My Life.

Got a lot of kind comments at end and gave out several cards. Only downside of evening was, as it was in the YHA at Cheshunt, music had to stop at 11pm. The place was full of sleeping schoolchildren from Poland.

They would have stayed on longer if possible. Still, leave them wanting more.
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

I had a good wedding last night, turned up as arranged at 6.00pm to set up and the band was already playing(murdering Brown Eyed Girl) Surprise surprise they had left the stage for me("we're only the support act") which I think is a first at this venue - they played from 5.30pm until 9.00pm when the food came on. The band were well chuffed that they'd got £100 each (3 piece!) for 3 and a half hours! so I didn't like to shatter their illusion!
    I then did an hour of background during the buffet, and then first dance at 10.00pm and through to midnight. Lots of old 70s disco was the order of the day, and my top tune was probably Wild Cherry - Play that Funky Music. Easy Peasy!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Aw come on Rob! Some of us have become seasoned professionals with it, and you haven't even started! You could have come and driven the Ipods for me on Saturday if I'd known!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Green Man?
    Steve,

Close, but no cigar.

It was the Telegraph in Telegraph Road (just off Wildcroft Road).
    Last edited by rob1963; 20-07-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Steve,

Close, but no cigar.

It was the Telegraph in Telegraph Road (just off Wildcroft Road).
    Ah, actually on Putney Heath.

I must admit I'd forgotten the Telegraph
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

My gig on Saturday night was more of a 'mediocre' gig.

Turned up at Willerby Manor Hotel at 5:30 for a 7:00 start. Was told by some guy that access was through fire doors and said you can load your gear in but don't set up until (can't remember name) has had a word with you
    Anyway, by the time I had loaded all my gear in through the back and across a fairly biggish room it wa now getting on for 6:00 so I thought I'd start setting up. Good job as I never saw whotsisname at all.

As I was nearly done the bride came in and said she saw me at reception and would come and say Hi. Had a little chat and carried on.

Was set up at 7:00 and started with some Chillout Jazz background music which was commented on by the bride as the guests started coming in (think I'll be using that again)

First dance was planned for 8:15 but was 15mins late because brides mother was late .

First dance went really well with me having to 'detonate' a large ballon (at 2:03 into Again by Kravitz) with smaller ballons and confetti inside - looked reallly good

Rets of night was a bit quiet - not one bloke (apart from Groom) dancing. Best song reception was Footloose which got a big crowd that soon dispersed as soon as it ended despite trying to 'keep the floor'.

A bit on-offish all night and a 12:00 finish.

One issue was thaat the emergency fire door had to be kept shut as the power would cut off to the DJ area if opened. Guess what - some one opened it for a sly fag and left them looking a bit embarassed as everyone turned and looked at him (especially as I'd announced it earlier on) Luckily the laptop kept playing and as soon as the door was shut I hit the reset button on the power supply and was back on inside 10 seconds

There was a sound limiter which (luckily) hasn't worked for years - good job as it was in the red almost all night (not especially loud)!

Was thanked by the B&G at the end of the night saying I did a great job and they had a great night and that they'll book me and recommend me to their family and friends

Last two nights been doing a corporate Hawaiian Theme night for one of my wedding venues(at another venue!). Wednesday, cleaning and auxiliary staff - really good night, loads dancing. Thursday, office staff- pitiful, just not interested at all, just sat outside all night drinking - only 40 turned up out of the expected 70 - max on dance floor 8!! A night to forget! However, venue has asked for a supply of cards, so not all bad!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Irish / Greek wedding last night. If only they all could be as much fun.

Fizzled out a bit towards the end, but it was a hot night & the doors were open (I believe some were dancing outside).

I actually thought my kit was in danger during The Irish rover / Fields of Athenry & Zorba's dance (it got that frantic)