Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 381 of 564 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383391431481 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    The stuff on the label isn't readily available.
    Have a look on Ebay, sonny. Crammed to the gills with it. Only thing is they're not MP3.
    Apparently they're some outdated format which is on a shiny disc.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Have a look on Ebay, sonny. Crammed to the gills with it. Only thing is they're not MP3.
    Apparently they're some outdated format which is on a shiny disc.
    Ahem. By 'readily available' I usually mean "crap, I've not got any.. I'll just go on the wifi & buy some...".

Default Another refreshingly different weekend

Refreshing and different, and boy do I need refreshing at the moment.

The day started at 5am. I was woken up when they switched on the birds in the cold, wet and muddy field I'd spent the night camping in. Yes folks, last night I was on a Scout camp.....and I got the grand total of 3 whole hours of sleep. I then spent the day running the camp fire so by the time I was getting ready for tonight's gig I was absolutely shattered.

Never mind....it's going to sort of be an easy one isn't it?

Well actually, a lot easier than I was expecting

This one came in a while ago. A lovely elderly couple celebrating their silver wedding anniversary with a handful (well, about 200) friends in a local hotel. The problem? They're into sequence dancing and until I took this one on....I'd never heard of this. Being up for a challenge, I admitted my shortcomings to the lovely young lady and she was all too willing to assist in plugging the relevant gaps in my knowledge (well.....she provided a list of dances, what they were called and the tracks she wanted played).

So, rocked up at the hotel who told me I had to go down about three miles of heavily carpeted corridors to get to the room I was to be working in. Went for a walk, met the client and agreed to drive round the back and open the fire door....why make life difficult eh? Actually, opening the fire door did them a big favour as well...it was like an oven in the room.

Got in and set up in good time (I'd been told they wanted minimal lighting, took way too much just in case, and left most of it in the van). It was literally a booth, the aluminium trusses with the Sperions on top and a tBar containing four MegaTripars. Job's a good 'un

The other part of the brief was for 60s and 70s music. How hard can it be? I'm running on fumes, and I've got two of my favourite decades to work with. The husband wandered over and I confirmed a couple of the finer details with him on how they wanted the evening to run...no problems until he mentioned it was unlikely to be a dancy affair. The guests hadn't seen each other in years and they were happy talking. Bugger....could be a long one then

So....off we go, announce my first sequence dance and get rewarded with a full floor full of people doing strange things all at the same time (and modern brides moan about action dances??? )

First dance dispatched, let's dip toes into the 60s. Erm....they're sitting down OK, I was told it would happen. Let's just sit back and play some stuff I don't get to play too often.
    Second sequence dance...full floor....into Motown....gone. Hmmm

Then, for no explainable reason, they got up and danced en-mass. Result (I seem to remember it was the Supremes that did it). No matter, they're moving (just...the average age was, well.....old). The best part, I kept them like it for the rest of the night.

The allotted end time of 10:30 is fast approaching. The remaining sequence dancers went a while ago and I've still got four of those to do. Client says no matter, they're happy with how things have worked....go ahead and play whatever to keep things moving. So I did

I haven't played Wig Wam Bam or Simon Says for......well I don't think I've ever played them at a gig actually
    There was even one "young" lady who sheepishly approached the booth and asked if I could play and teach her the Macarena as her granddaughter had been trying to teach her and failed. How could I possibly refuse?

So, three songs left (floor still packed after Rocking all over the world). I'm burning out fast and running out of ideas. I know....Come on Eileeen. I know, it's not 60s or 70s, but by God it worked. Followed by New York New York (normally my last of the evening), and then into Kool and the Gang, Cherish. I don't normally end on slow ones (it was the customer's wish though) so I was surprised to see a full floor for that.

Said the thank you's and goodbyes, three cheers for the happy couple etc. and started to tear down. My hand now hurts from the number of hand shakes I got whilst de-rigging. I gave away countless cards too

Apparently they weren't expecting me to abide by the request of minimal lighting, sensible sound levels and an open playlist from the 60s and 70s. ....it was compliements all round.

So, one very happy bunny for the second week running

Today, a small freebie I do for the local primary school's PTA funday in the way of basic PA, announcements and background music (it's a good advert to my local village)
    For now though.....a lack of sleep is staring to tell on me so it's time to go and inspect the insides of my eyelids for leaks
    Last edited by Imagine; 26-06-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Hope you got a decent nights kip last night. The lack of sleep the night before must have been a distant memory once your booking got going and went well.

I was doing yet another wedding (my last one until 15th July as all of my bookings until then are all 40th or 50th birthdays)....and this time it was 6 miles up the road at a venue that recommends me. It's a lovely old converted barn on a farm and I must have been there 10 times in the last 2 years (I have 4 booked there already for next year), and every time I've been there I've had a great night. Last night was no different......however, it wasn't the usual kind of thing (I'll explain shortly).

So, as usual with this venue I wasn't able to set up in advance and had to leave it until an hour before. The venue has a license so couples use one half of the venue for the ceremony (the side where the Disco goes). Previous visits to the venue have seen me setting up at 6.00pm or 6.30pm (depending on start time) whilst the speeches are going on. I usually have around 15 minutes before I am due to start background music and all is cool......

Well, this part of the booking was a complete pain in the backside and I really had to bite my tongue and just smile at times.....
    The couple got married at 12.30pm (quite early!) and they were sitting down with 55 guests at 2.30pm. They'd planned for their speeches to happen between 5.00pm and 6.00pm and had asked their guests to start arriving between 6.00pm - 6.30pm....I didn't think this would be a problem at all...........I was wrong!
    I arrived at the venue at 5.45pm so that I could take my time setting up. Access is always very easy....well, I say always....I mean usually.

I walk into the venue and see the girls I usually see there and let them know that I am there and ready to start setting up. There are little girls running around and a couple of toddlers screaming their heads off doing the same thing. The place where I need to set up is clear but the kids are running around in that area too. They were all supervised (luckily) but soon became a pain and the sounds of "Thomas! Thomas!" (like the woman from Tom & Jerry) and "Stay away from the man's stuff Olivia" are still in my head because it was almost as if it was on a loop. Yes, tell them what they can and can't do but make a bit more effort and actually keep them away and not just shout from metres away when I am trying to set up.
    It was just like the end of the night when people are getting in your way but I hadn't even started yet. People were standing in the door way as it was quite stuffy in the venue and then all of a sudden..............the heaven's opened and the rain was unbelievable. Luckily I had just got the last bits in and was actually piecing together the set up.

I guess one mistake I made was thinking that turning on the truss podium + spherion would keep them amused....It did BUT it just got a couple of them over excited. It was as if they were possessed.....the screaming from one little girl was unlike anything I'd ever heard before!
    I was nowhere near finishing setting up and was starting to become a sweaty mess when I looked up and noticed that this side of the venue was very quickly filling up.
    Even though I was on a 'go slow' I realised that I'd be finished way too early but wasn't sure what to do because there were a lot of people standing around chatting and drinking as evening guests arrived.
    I was actually finished setting up with 25 minutes to spare. The Groom came over and I congratulated him and he said he'd had a great day and that they were actually ahead of schedule. In all the time I have been doing weddings, that's a first for me.
    I've always said I am not a 'clock watcher' and if I am ready to go and it's ok to do so then I'll just get on with it. 10 minutes here and there doesn't bother me but near on half an hour.....No thanks. Nobody had said anything and everyone seemed deep in conversation so once I'd got the cases back in the van and parked it up away from the venue I sat in the van and tried to get myself cooled down a bit as I was very hot.

So, all of that out the way and the background music got going. I had the volume up more than usual as it looked like people were ready to get going.
    First dance was set for 7.30pm and that time came around quickly. I introduced the Bride and Groom, got the guests to applaud the happy couple as usual and then played Edward Sharpe - Home as requested. They'd created a routine for it which went down well. The next song was supposed to be Cornershop - Brimful of Asha as requested by the Bride to get everyone up but the Groom had contacted me the day before saying that the Father of the Bride (Socrates) wanted to do the Father / Daughter dance to The Temptations - My Girl. It was a total surprise to her and her and her father danced and cried their eyes out. Cornershop followed and it was pretty easy from there onwards............well, for a while anyway.

I'd got them all going quite easily with a mix of Indie and Motown when people suddenly started disappearing....then I realised why..... I could smell the hog roast!
    Nobody asked me to inform everyone that the food was available and it was a bit of a mess....then when I had an empty dance floor the Groom came over and told me to announce that the food was ready! Everyone was either sat down next door eating or waiting in the queue to get food so I took the opportunity to play some of the down tempo songs on the request list. Incidentally, the list was a mix of Indie / Motown / 90's Dance / Current Dance and more Dance with No Cheese!

So, what did I get asked for quite a lot during the night? - Cheese! I had to steer clear of it and actually enjoyed playing a bit more dance stuff than usual.

I had one girl on the dance floor do the whole 'cut throat / shake her head' thing indicating me to change the tune when I switched styles because the Bride asked me if I could play Prince Fatty - Shimmy Shimmy which was on the list. She stared at me and gave me 'that look' so I smiled back and sarcastically waved at her. I wasn't in the mood for any of that rubbish and she walked off the dance floor whilst everyone else carried on.

I played some tunes that I hadn't played for years and it was like a breath of fresh air (Underworld - Born Slippy being the main one and I mixed that up with The Prodigy - Firestarter and got some cheers). The night actually went pretty swiftly to be fair. The numbers dropped around 10.00pm but it had been a long day for them all.
    There was still around 70 left at a guest and that was cool when it came to the final songs of the night. The last song was Bright Eyes - First day of my life and it went down well but not quite as well as Blur - The Universal which I thought I'd stick on before it.
    Lots of thanks from the couples parents and guests but not a word from the couple themselves..... That always miffs me but then again they did have a coach to get on to take them to their hotel and drop others off.

A quick word about the couple - They were a very nice couple in their early 30's and when I met them a couple of weeks ago they revealed that they'd both given up their jobs (decent jobs too) because a few days after their wedding they are going to be on the road for 2 - 4 years walking their way from the UK to New Zealand, stopping off at as many locations as they can. They didn't have a guest book to sign, they'd asked guests to sign their back packs with the sharpie pens provided. A massive gamble but fair play to them!

I'd just got the final cases into the van at the end of the night and the heaven's opened again. The 15 minute drive home down the tight, windy country roads wasn't too much fun!

Meetings today and throughout the week and then a 40th birthday next week with an 80's theme which is quite a common thing for me of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The other part of the brief was for 60s and 70s music. How hard can it be? I'm running on fumes, and I've got two of my favourite decades to work with.

I haven't played Wig Wam Bam or Simon Says for......well I don't think I've ever played them at a gig actually
    Wayne, I've noticed this sort of thing before. Are you sure you're a real DJ? You seem unwilling to play the Classics.

Apparently they weren't expecting me to abide by the request of minimal lighting, sensible sound levels and an open playlist from the 60s and 70s. ....it was compliements all round.
    Like I said above, are you sure you're a real DJ? Everybody knows we rock up with an array of lights designed to blind most of the guests, while playing some execrable " music " at deafening levels. That's what we do.

Or sadly, what some people still think we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post

t the Groom had contacted me the day before saying that the Father of the Bride (Socrates) wanted to do the Father / Daughter dance to The Temptations - My Girl.

Errr, Gary are you sure? Socrates was even older and smarter than me, lived in ancient Greece, and died from drinking a poisonous brew, Hemlock.
    Blimey, I've got a lot in common with him.

OK, to mine. What a cracker. Wedding in a marquee the far side of Hull. Deciding access times and my duties had been tricky. We settled for a time, and I arrived early. The weather was interesting, as I'd driven through torrential rain on the way, with traffic on the dual carriageway down to a crawl. Didn't bode well for a gig in a field. Turns out they'd not had a drop of rain all day, ( or as it turns out, all night ) yippee.

Arrived early, and gained access to my space when allowed. Parked the van right outside the panel we unzipped, magic. Not a huge tent, so didn't take a lot of kit, the 12" LDs were more than enough for sound, and two battens and moonflowers sufficed for lights. ( See Wayne, others can do minimal as well. )

Lovely young couple, and fabulous guests. They didn't want a first dance, but yielded under pressure and picked Drop Kick Murphys- Rose Tattoo from their list " to set things off with a lively one ". Blimey, it did! Shut Up And Dance followed nicely, and I had a good floor for a surprisingly long time. Sunny weather and games outside, it was only half eight, no way was I going to get them going that early, so Stevie Wonder- I Just Called went on, and earned me a ing from a lady who pointed out that it wasn't smoochy time, what about some ( faster, obviously ) Tamla and Soul.

Point taken, so I did that, and a healthy floor followed. Then I got asked for some Sixties. Packed floor. This sort of style was working fantastically, along with cherry picking from the list. Tiger feet really did the trick, among others. A hog roast appeared, and I put Soul Banana on while I headed over to the catering tent to partake. My but it was good.

I was down for a midnight finish, but bearing in mind we were in a marquee miles from anywhere, the drink was free, and the guests ( and DJ ) were having a ball, I was sure a spot of overtime was on the cards, and I hit midnight with songs in hand. My playlist was working really well, and we'd moved along to Rock/Metal/Indie by now. The groom asked if I'd do another hour. No problem. Getting a bit heavier now, Enter Sandman went down a storm. Bit of Iron Maiden, G'n'R, Def Leppard gave me the chance to slip one in from the playlist I've never done at a gig before, Barracuda, by Heart.

The last hour flew by, and it was time to pack up, and it was one of those rare gigs where it was exactly the right time to end. Bride and Groom were delighted, packing up took longer because guests were chatting to me saying how good it had been.
    If only they were all like that.

Client meeting soon, and a packed ten days ahead. Going to see Don Henley tomorrow.

Yes Peter, his name really was Socrates!
    When I was told his name I instantly thought of the Brazilian footballer!

Oh! and Rose Tattoo - What a song! Nice one!

A wedding for me last night at a fairly regular venue in a new room that has only been open about 6 weeks - absolutely stunning inside and out. This was probably my best paying needadisco gig so far and only came in a few weeks back after the Groom originally asked for quotes 6 months ago and then apparently didn't book anyone, and then asked for new quotes and booked me. I didn't meet with the couple in advance as they didn't have time and all of the timings were worked out by email. The only issue with this venue is that there is ONE room and Outdoors, and that's your lot (but it's huge!). The room is set up in the morning, you set up at the end, the guests come in and eat, you go. Easy. Except I got fed odd timings by both the groom and the venue and despite arriving at 3:15 to set up ready for them to sit down at 5:00, I still set up in front of a room full of people. Apparently they're running back to back weddings in the room now so the couples don't get access until 2:00 - which in this case, was the time they and their guests were set to arrive from the chapel! I know for next time...

So, I set up at 3:15 to be done before the guests sat down for their meal and the speeches started, luckily this also meant I dodged the heavy rain yesterday. As I'm setting up I notice that all of the wall lights have RGB LED's fitted and wonder if they're going to come into play later in the night... I also notice the rather spangly Bose sound system they've had installed. And then I realise that the playlist is happily rattling through all of the 10 tracks that I've been given by the B&G as well as most of the usual party classics that you might expect to hear later in the night. Checked with the bar staff and, yup, it's the B&G's iPad.

All set up, so I disappear for to the car for a nap, and to watch the rain hammer down on the sunroof. While I'm out the "Band" turn up, and they're actually not a band. They're a duet with guitars and a small PA. Remember this room is massive? I'm there with RCF 422A's and 705AS subs underneath them because I've been warned that the room is big and there are 200 guests (and this is all true!) The singing duo have a 15" behringer active and another 12" active. Both sat on the floor in front of them - I'm concerned for them, but it all turned out fine. While I'm waiting for dessert to finish I'm listening to the "background music" run through all the classic party tracks and taking notes to save repeating myself. I then hear Mr Brightside and see the bridesmaids actually get up and dance (at 6:45, half way through the desserts) and then get all the other guests' fist pumping the air!

Cake cutting time and they cut the single cupcake in the middle of the huge platter (B&G opted to put money behind the bar instead of buying a cake - result!) Then into first dance and the guests are invited onto the floor. I follow on with Uptown funk which keeps the floor filled and hand over to the duet - who do something very clever and carry on the uptown funk beat (with guitars), introduce themselves and then launch straight into 90mins of more floorfillers - which all worked. The Duet were brilliant, they sounded a little thin, but they were brilliant and very entertaining and carried a beat on throughout their entire 90min set. However, despite giving their set list to the B&G in advance, the B&G's background music on the iPad had already played almost ALL of their songs! I've now got my work cut out to find some new material that will work without playing the same songs to the guests for the THIRD time that evening!

Duet finished, straight into the evening buffet and I have to keep the pace up because I still have dancers and there has been absolutely nothing slow played by anyone all evening. Buffet done around 10:00pm, and people are still dancing.

The 00:45 finish came round quickly last night, for once I got a great crowd with some serious energy and with only possibly one or two drunken idiots - I wondered at one point if one of the drunken ladies was going to be become a problem (around the time that she started to dance on the tables!) But her friends got her down and all was good.

Fingers crossed I get more like last night... preferably with better informed "background music" though!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Default Themed Birthday

Well, I don't usually put much on this thread, as most gigs are "normal"

This one was a cracker for me, tiring, but still a cracker.

Brief was a James Bond themed birthday, in a Marquee. 20:00 - 02:00, yes 6 hours. I was asked to play JB theme tunes for the first half an hour or so. Only one song was mentioned as a must play ... The "Rowing Song", never heard it called that before.

The marquee was in a field 30x50', so quite large, aim was to drive into the field, park right outside the marquee, easy load/unload, or so I thought.....

Visited the field a couple of days before, nice setup, solid dancefloor, large. However, on the days, rain, and lots of it. I had zero chance of getting my Galaxy through the gate, never mind up to the marquee.

So I was park up on the road, and had carry everything, in the rain, into the marquee. Luckily I have my hiking boots in the car. Still I was caked in mud.

For equipment, used my DXR 15's, Equinox booth, ADJ DOTZ tpar system, Acme spins, Mini Dekkers, and a RGB Lazer, (Not forgetting the hazer)

The party was due to start at 20:00, but the guests started turning up around 19:30, whilst I'm still setting up, and muddy. Running a little late due to hike with the kit. Managed to get some music on for 20:00, finished tidying up the cables, then a quick clothing change in their cottage.

The guests (male) were mainly in Black tuxidos, some in other characters from the moves, some carrying fake AR15's, and fake pistols, (Got shot a few times, lol), the ladies, and some dressed in nice frocks with high heels, (Funny watching them walking in the mud), some in fancy dress, a couple of gold painted ladies etc.

The hosts, (they only have a couple of neighbours), so sound pollution was not an issue, which were also invite. One being Bernie Clifton... Forgot to mention, this was an upmarket crowd, but they were a great bunch. No children, all guests were 20+

The first hour was fairly quiet from a dancing point of view, the guests were mainly chatting, then after that, time flew, requests coming, various styles, keeping me busy.

I did have a couple of issues with dancers, (My booth was actually on the dance floor, due to the layout), one drunk couple fell into my booth, almost went over, got banged into a few times too. Everything is still in one piece luckily.

At least three waitresses were serving drinks and food for the guests, and the hosts were making sure I was kept well watered and fed. Very nice food, whole hog roast there too.

Come 2am, feeling a little tired and very achy now, said my thanks, played the last song , turned off the music. Crowd stops dancing, and looks at me, I said sorry, but its time for me to pack up and leave. So they start chanting - Stay, Stay, Stay..... The host came to me and said i could pack up, it's been a long night.

So starting to pack up, (also forgot the mention, the hosts son, had a couple of 12" actives, they wanting to carry on. It's rather difficult trying to pack away, with someone trying to setup in the same area . Cables knotted everywhere.

Eventually packed up, everything back in my car by 03:00 (Thanks to the hostess for carrying some gear for me)

Had a chat with the hosts at the end, the feedback was amazing from them, they had a fantastic night, guests had really enjoyed themselves. I've even been invited back to shoot on their land, which I will be doing . And hopefully having a dip in their outdoor pool too.

Back home my 4am, in bed 4:30, can I sleep, no.

Hoping to have a relaxing day today.

Wish all gigs were this rewarding. Hard work, but worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Wayne, I've noticed this sort of thing before. Are you sure you're a real DJ? You seem unwilling to play the Classics.

Like I said above, are you sure you're a real DJ? Everybody knows we rock up with an array of lights designed to blind most of the guests, while playing some execrable " music " at deafening levels. That's what we do.

Or sadly, what some people still think we do.
    I never said I was a real DJ

Can't have been all bad though.....just taken a booking from a couple who were recommended to me by one of the guests on Saturday, and apparently there's several more coming my way shortly.
    So, some nights of 60s classics, subtle lighting and low volume coming up, and in bed by midnight......cracking stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Yes Peter, his name really was Socrates!
    When I was told his name I instantly thought of the Brazilian footballer!
    Gary, now you mention it, yes. I'm not a footy man.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Well, I don't usually put much on this thread, as most gigs are "normal"
    Point of order, Mr Chairman, no such thing as a normal; gig. And come on, you can't call the ones you cover for me Normal, in a month of Sundays!

Only one song was mentioned as a must play ... The "Rowing Song", never heard it called that before.
    If I'm honest, I have, but even I have never had it as the only request!

The marquee was in a field 30x50', so quite large, aim was to drive into the field, park right outside the marquee, easy load/unload, or so I thought.....

Wish all gigs were this rewarding. Hard work, but worth.
    Re the rain, I expected mine to be like that, but as I said, not a drop fell on us. Sounds like you earned your crust. Well done that man.

So, some nights of 60s classics, subtle lighting and low volume coming up, and in bed by midnight......cracking stuff
    To quote a TV character- " I can do that. Gissa job ".