Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 431 of 564 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441481531 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,310 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Just in from my fifth in five days.....how the hell do people do this full time? I'm absolutely shattered!

This is a regular one for me, a group or parents and their kids who all go to the same school, but they do it independently as a family type thing rather than a school disco.

As always, a really good one because I'm made to feel like one of the family, the first thing that's always thrust into my hand once I've got set up is a cold beer (and it's the only party where I'll take one) . It's always a really relaxed affair which is just as well because I stood there at one point wondering what I was going to play for the duration of the party....I'm completely wiped out.

Wound the kids up for the afternoon with sleigh bells and the occasional "Ho Ho Ho" jingle until the big fella himself turned up (I love that bit....just watching the kids eyes light up because they're still of an age where they believe in him...it makes my Christmas ).

So, I now have my first night off for, well at least a week (I've had other nights meeting next year's couples etc).
    I think I can hear my armchair and a couple of cold beers calling

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Friday was my first and only Christmas gig of 2016. Quite frankly, you can not comprehend how happy that makes me. I've done so many over the last few years that I was pretty much done with them and whilst I did put my name down for some dates with an agency I work with, I was secretly happy when none of them came to fruition.

So why was this one different? It was for people I know and I had a feeling it would be quite fun.

A couple of the guys I know are DJs themselves, so I let them have a set of about half hour each. I also had a chance to go round with them camera and take some pretty decent snaps. Pretty simple night really - there was a pizza van outside providing the food, a quiz which was hosted by the operations manager (which started much later than planned as lots of people didn't turn up until late), two DJs doing 30 minute sets and me finishing off the night. Pretty decent night. Not one for the hall of fame, but good enough.

Saturday night was a wedding where I worked alongside a band. They were actually very good, and both their sets went on for much longer than planned. Did I complain? Did I hell!

Very good crowd and the bride and groom were lovely people. Quite honestly, the band were getting a better reaction from the audience than I was and I was cursing them (in the nicest way possible) as they ended on such a high that there was no way I was able to follow it. Still had a lot of dancers for my bit, but I'll admit that the band were more suited on this occasion.

Default Blimey!!!

What a night! I was ( allegedly ) graced with the presence of a mythical beast last night, The Lesser Spotted Roadie. I say allegedly, because he didn't actually roadie, he DJ'ed and I ran Tech Ops.
    It was a presentation evening for a newly formed Majorette Troupe in Wakefield, taking place near to the Davesounds dwelling. I called to pick Dave's son Matty up, and we had a pleasant chinwag and bacon sarnie before setting off to the gig. I've worked there before, and knew exactly what kit to take.

We arrived, and took the Micromax on wheels and Rock and Roller up in the lift. We weren't allowed on the stage, but had a space on the floor, which was absolutely fit for purpose. We got all set up, and Matty started loading tracks from the playlist for later on. Early doors was to be Xmas/Frozen, then presentation ceremony, buffet, raffle and finally music.

Matty started with the early music, and never really relinquished the controls! The audience were predominantly younger, as were the requests, which meant he was the man for the job. I sourced missing stuff with the tablet as best I could with a pathetically slow venue wifi. The timings were thrown out of the window, and we just carried on as seemed appropriate.

The punters. What can I say? Well for a start, on here, not even a fraction of it! We had all ages from around five to fifty five, I'd say, and many of them were in the Christmas spirit. In all honesty, the Christmas spirit appeared to be in them as well, particularly one female whose attire didn't cover an awful lot when she arrived, and later on covered even less!!!! I don't know what she was drinking, but from the large stain on the front of her frock, it was bright orange. And very alcoholic. She was absolutely hammered, but credit where it's due, she was good as gold with her requests to us. I reckon the bar shifted a gallon or two of alcopops as well.

Musically, we had lots of Cha cha slide/Watch me/Macarena/Rockabye/Bieber/ and the like when Matty was let loose with the decks. He concentrated so hard on doing his job that thankfully he missed a lot of the visuals in front of him. Phew! Our last two tracks were Mr Brightside and Mariah, and we could then get the kit back on trolleys and out. Dave arrived from his quiz, and having helped load the van took Matty home to bask in the glory of a job well done.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Red face MATTYSOUNDS

Thanks Peter!
    He said he really really enjoyed the gig.....Several times!
    Thanks for letting him have the experience!
    DAVESOUNDS
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

Last night's party......well, say no more (but I will anyway!).

A mess to start off with. I felt sorry for the staff of the hotel who had to deal with the rabble that they had booked in.
    A small party of 50 for yet another Christmas party yet there were 40 who'd bothered to turn up.
    Supposed to sit down for 7.30pm for the meal but apparently decided to turn up late and wait for as many people to turn up before they got things going.
    I'd sorted out the background music beforehand and had arranged to be back at the hotel for 8.30pm. When I arrived at the hotel the guests were just being served their main meals. I was then informed that they had been the proverbial nightmare.

They were a mix of very LOUD older women (who seemed to use the 'F' word at any opportunity) and youngsters.
    The staff were getting stressed as the guests mucked them about by changing their minds at the very last minute when it came to what they were eating (even though they'd obviously pre-chosen what they were having). It was gone 9.15pm when they eventually finished their meals and I had an 11.00pm finish.

Guests were mouthy and rude throughout the meal and I overheard a couple of the women whilst I waited outside. I had to laugh and comment and start conversation when I heard firstly that "the music was crap and depressing". I laughed and replied to the person "that'll be my crap and depressing background music then...sorry about that. You're the first person to comment on it, everyone else has been fine". She quickly shut up!
    Once they realised that it was me that was the DJ, they decided to start telling me what to play and to get it "cranked up NOW...ASAP...NOW!!!"

I advised them that I couldn't do that because I had to wait for the staff. The main woman (someone who both looked and acted like Waynetta Slob), was effing and blinding big time about this, that and the other. I stood there, took it all in and remained as jolly as possible ("jolly"? I never use that word!!).
    When I eventually got going, I had them up dancing for the full 1hr 45mins and they loved it.
    Waynetta Slob couldn't thank me enough and appeared very happy, as did everyone else but you'd never have known it because they appeared to be a miserable bunch.

Around 30 minutes before the end of the night, a group of 4 'too cool for school' girls joined the party. They obviously didn't want to eat the meal so had arrived fashionably late. Everyone was doing the Cha Cha Slide (as requested). I watched them walk into the room and head straight for me. One turned to me and asked me for something that I'd never heard of. I can't even remember what it was now. They then proceeded to sit at a table and try their hardest to hide a bottle of Archers from my sight. I sussed it straight away and could also smell it.
    I am no grinch but I alerted one of the staff and he dealt with them. I chatted to them afterwards and they couldn't understand that them drinking their own booze in the hotel is more or less stealing. They just giggled like little kids.

Nightmare for the staff, easy enough for me but was glad it was an early night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Last night's party......well, say no more (but I will anyway!).

A mess to start off with. I felt sorry for the staff of the hotel who had to deal with the rabble that they had booked in.
    A small party of 50 for yet another Christmas party yet there were 40 who'd bothered to turn up.
    Supposed to sit down for 7.30pm for the meal but apparently decided to turn up late and wait for as many people to turn up before they got things going.
    I'd sorted out the background music beforehand and had arranged to be back at the hotel for 8.30pm. When I arrived at the hotel the guests were just being served their main meals. I was then informed that they had been the proverbial nightmare.

They were a mix of very LOUD older women (who seemed to use the 'F' word at any opportunity) and youngsters.
    The staff were getting stressed as the guests mucked them about by changing their minds at the very last minute when it came to what they were eating (even though they'd obviously pre-chosen what they were having). It was gone 9.15pm when they eventually finished their meals and I had an 11.00pm finish.

Guests were mouthy and rude throughout the meal and I overheard a couple of the women whilst I waited outside. I had to laugh and comment and start conversation when I heard firstly that "the music was crap and depressing". I laughed and replied to the person "that'll be my crap and depressing background music then...sorry about that. You're the first person to comment on it, everyone else has been fine". She quickly shut up!
    Once they realised that it was me that was the DJ, they decided to start telling me what to play and to get it "cranked up NOW...ASAP...NOW!!!"

I advised them that I couldn't do that because I had to wait for the staff. The main woman (someone who both looked and acted like Waynetta Slob), was effing and blinding big time about this, that and the other. I stood there, took it all in and remained as jolly as possible ("jolly"? I never use that word!!).
    When I eventually got going, I had them up dancing for the full 1hr 45mins and they loved it.
    Waynetta Slob couldn't thank me enough and appeared very happy, as did everyone else but you'd never have known it because they appeared to be a miserable bunch.

Around 30 minutes before the end of the night, a group of 4 'too cool for school' girls joined the party. They obviously didn't want to eat the meal so had arrived fashionably late. Everyone was doing the Cha Cha Slide (as requested). I watched them walk into the room and head straight for me. One turned to me and asked me for something that I'd never heard of. I can't even remember what it was now. They then proceeded to sit at a table and try their hardest to hide a bottle of Archers from my sight. I sussed it straight away and could also smell it.
    I am no grinch but I alerted one of the staff and he dealt with them. I chatted to them afterwards and they couldn't understand that them drinking their own booze in the hotel is more or less stealing. They just giggled like little kids.

Nightmare for the staff, easy enough for me but was glad it was an early night.
    purse drinks

OK see if you're a student it's kind of acceptable - me my bro and a mate once managed to sneak in and skull a full crate of beer at a bon jovi concert with a stewart 10 feet away the whole time but once you're in gainful employment?

If £4 or whatever it is for a drink is too rich for you, don't go, it's quite a simple concept. I rarely even take a hipflask to weddings these days because i'll spend all day at the bar anyway and double dunting it is a recipe for disaster.

Default And finally...

Not sure quite what sort of party that was, but it wasn't fun or an enjoyable one to end the year on.
    In fact, it's this sort of party which is the reason I'm not doing NYE this year. A lot of people in a room together because they feel they have to be there, and very drunk at the same time.

So.......'twas a very last minute booking (I got the call last week). Another one in a Cambridge college so can't be too bad you'd think (or I did anyway).

Lots of chasing for contracts and confirmation of the booking, to the point that my contact got an "automated" email from DJEP saying that unless I heard from her in the next 24 hours....I wasn't going to be turning up (just in case she thought that by saying yes I'll book you on the telephone made things concrete). It's amazing how that email galvanises people into action

This was yesterday morning. Eventually given the contact details for the events manager at the college....talking to a teenager would have been easier (a man of very few words), but was kind enough to tell me that we're in a basement but there's a lift.

What could be wrong with that? Who in the name of all that's sensible puts a door in the front of the lift to get in, then one in the SIDE to get out once you're down in the basement. Yes folks, I had to clamber over the R12 and unload it whilst it was still in the lift.

Not a bad room though once down there. Decided to leave a lot of kit in the van because it really wasn't needed. Got set up in plenty of time (I'd been told by the client that I was needed for 7:30) and waited......until 9:30. It took that long for them to have dinner on the other side of the college. During this time, the bar manager (who was also helping with the meal) was telling me that they're, in his own words pheads. He wasn't wrong either.

Only half of them made it from the meal to the after party, and it was a straight split between the old and the young. However, the brief was for Motown and 80s (at last....bring it on). The downside....Jeager shots seemed to be going down like they were going out of fashion and that's always bad news (evil stuff should be banned).

Motown had a lukewarm reaction for a couple of songs with all of about 8 of the older crowd, then they went and sat down. 80's got no reaction at all. "Put on some cheese" came the cry.....that too failed. It didn't matter what I played (I even did a short Rock 'n' Roll set because one of the older gents wanted to dance), it fell flat.

All this time, the already small number of people were thinning out at an alarming rate as well. By 11pm, I was down to 7 (and two of those were working behind the bar). These were the ones that were going to be there until the bitter end, and started on for some Garage (not my strong point but hey ho). By this time, they're well and truly pickled.....and they're still drinking shots.

Had to go for a quick toilet break about 15 mins before the end and seeing my chance with the remainder of the hangers on at the bar....went for it. Came back to find a very drunk young lady "scratching" on my mixer (or what she thought was scratching). Well I'm sorry young lady....my contract says that's not allowed. I turned the music off. She very quickly saw the error of her ways and was very apologetic!

Home time finally rolled around and to be honest, I was glad to be unplugging and getting home. I didn't even stand and roll up cables tonight - I'm not out now until January so I'll go back and have a good sort out between Xmas and New Year (I need to have a sort out of kit anyway).

Not exactly the sort of party I wanted to end a very good Christmas season on but looking on the book of faces, I seem to have been luckier than most this year so not all bad.

So ladies and gents - that's me done now until January. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, for those of you out gigging....stay safe.

For the last time this year, "Thank you for coming, please have a safe and pleasant journey home, thank you and good night"

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Had to go for a quick toilet break about 15 mins before the end and seeing my chance with the remainder of the hangers on at the bar....went for it. Came back to find a very drunk young lady "scratching" on my mixer (or what she thought was scratching). Well I'm sorry young lady....my contract says that's not allowed. I turned the music off. She very quickly saw the error of her ways and was very apologetic!
    My kit says it's not possible. Mine are set to pitch bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    So ladies and gents - that's me done now until January. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, for those of you out gigging....stay safe.

For the last time this year, "Thank you for coming, please have a safe and pleasant journey home, thank you and good night"
    Not for me, young 'un. Xmas presentation tonight, wedding with Twinspin tomorrow, and Boxing Day get on a plane for Berlin to see my daughter, hubby and his family. Seemed like a good idea when we booked it. Arrive back ( hopefully ) day before NYE, fill the van with diesel, and head North. A long way North. Turn left at Scotch Corner and mind the sheep, Llamas and bendy bits.

OK, yesterday's gig was a staff party in the afternoon. Second floor of works premises, with goods lift. Place like a rabbit warren, and Twinspin ( for he was roadying for me, well done that man ) and I got lost a couple of times. Started slowly, and then mid gig it picked up, when the punters realised we really would play requests, which livened things up no end. Not often I get the chance to sit and listen to Baba O'Reilly, so that was a bonus.
    The hand out at the end wasn't so good when a helpful harry dropped a Maui bin on the floor, so hope that's still working.

Off to Bramley for this evening, let's hope Storm Barbara is a tail wind coming home.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My kit says it's not possible. Mine are set to pitch bend.

Not for me, young 'un. Xmas presentation tonight, wedding with Twinspin tomorrow, and Boxing Day get on a plane for Berlin to see my daughter, hubby and his family. Seemed like a good idea when we booked it. Arrive back ( hopefully ) day before NYE, fill the van with diesel, and head North. A long way North. Turn left at Scotch Corner and mind the sheep, Llamas and bendy bits.

OK, yesterday's gig was a staff party in the afternoon. Second floor of works premises, with goods lift. Place like a rabbit warren, and Twinspin ( for he was roadying for me, well done that man ) and I got lost a couple of times. Started slowly, and then mid gig it picked up, when the punters realised we really would play requests, which livened things up no end. Not often I get the chance to sit and listen to Baba O'Reilly, so that was a bonus.
    The hand out at the end wasn't so good when a helpful harry dropped a Maui bin on the floor, so hope that's still working.

Off to Bramley for this evening, let's hope Storm Barbara is a tail wind coming home.
    After a wedding on Wednesday night, that's it for me until, well Bank Holiday Monday, when I have a run of 4 nights of weddings before a Gala New Year's Eve dinner on.... guess.... New Year's Eve.

I have a full meal that night and we have a band (whom I know well) on, so with a 1am finish, I actually work for around 75 minutes! Got a free room for the night, so I have a bit of a chat with the other 2 DJs I have in the other rooms for the night, then a drink/chat with some of the regulars and off to bed. A leisurely breakfast next morning, then pack down and home. Wife not with me this year as its her turn for grandson sitting.

Last party in Basingstoke for me last night until New Year's Eve.
    It was a small party for 50 at the residency with an 11.30pm finish. They were a repeat booking from last year (like many I've done this year), and once I found out who it was, I knew it would be a good one.
    It didn't matter that there were lots of guys in attendance with a handful of women because they were all up for it.
    Once the meals had finished and then the (very long), awards ceremony and raffle...it was 9.45pm.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening though and they were very complimentary again and also (so I'm told), booked again for next year. Whether I'll be around to do it is another thing but we'll see.

Amazingly, I was packed down, loaded up and on the M3 by 11.52pm. I walked in the door at 02.57am which is bloody good going!

Tomorrow I am DJing at a local pub just a 10 minute drive away and then on 29th I have a wedding in a lovely venue overlooking the Norfolk broads for an older couple who have a great playlist (Led Zeppelin, The Who and The Doors are just 3 bands that stood out when I looked at the Rock / Retro type request list).