Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 483 of 564 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485493533 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

How refreshing Wayne, a review of a gig in " Good gig, Bad gig ", rather than a discussion of playlists.

Others please take note, that as we have at least one thread running on that subject matter in the correct place ie, here offending posts will be moved there, or if the doddery old fool responsible fouls it up, destroyed utterly.

OK, I'd better put one of mine in, hadn't I?

As can often be the case, the ones we expect most from may not deliver. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic? Wedding in a marquee in the middle of the most fabulous scenery the Peak District has to offer. Two lovely brides, who I'd met at the site visit, in blazing sunshine. They wanted an " afterparty ", as they'd had ceremony and reception in the village, then they and most of the guests had yomped up to the site!

I'd driven the van right up to the tent, unloaded the kit, set it up, and parked the van really early, and was relaxing before getting changed. Guests started arriving well before the expected start time, and everything just ran ahead of schedule. The beauty of informality, perhaps? Hog roast was immediately behind me, an ice cream van turned up as well, and the weather was kind, if not sweltering.

And there, it just sort of failed to reach the heights I'd hoped for. Dancing was good to sporadic, the setting was idyllic, leading many to sit outside, and when they killed the chandeliers, I achieved perfect lighting. Kaleido XP on back wall, Crossfires on dancefloor, and Hadrons on wash and moonflower/laser. Fabulous.

Packed up on time, was able once more to park the van next to the tent, and what would have been an awesome drive home was ruined by a road closure in Sheffield which meant I bypassed the bypass, in an attempt to reach the motorway, which was particularly, since I and the sat nav knew perfectly well that the direct route through the centre of Sheffield would have been a doddle at 1am. Grrr.

Ah well, out to rig some high speed kit for a wedding in a monastery tonight. 45 minutes from " goodnight folks " to locking the monastery gates. It's upstairs with a lift! Ah well, shan't be taking the full wembley rig, then.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default What a difference a day makes....

Second wedding of the week last night....in one of the usual haunts.

It promised to be a blinding night. Playlist similar to last week's in there (i.e. huge but take your pick....these are just our favourites), a later ceremony (3pm is rare in these parts), and a whole raft of things going on like photo booths, chocolate fountains (I haven't seen one of those in ages!), and....a singing waiter!

Anyone who's not seen these warbling waiter types....they're clever. They adopt the uniform of the establishment and help to serve the meal. Then at an unsuspecting moment....break into song. He was impressive - his PA wasn't (Mackie SRMs.....harsh as hell).

Because of the later ceremony, it was to be an 8:30 first dance, followed by another set with the waiter who'd moved his kit alongside mine on the stage.

8:30 arrives, curtains are swept back to reveal Mr & Mrs on the dance floor whilst your's truly plays the first dance song....then over to Mr Waiter, who kept the floor for a couple of tracks and then slowly lost them. He gave up about 10 minutes earlier than scheduled and handed back to me.

The mission, play whatever keeps them dancing. OK - game on then (and YES....Sweet Caroline made another appearance and this time it didn't get the funny looks).

The order of the evening was most definitely a good slavering of Motown and a lot of the usual, older wedding fayre...but it was to mixes reactions. Dancing was sporadic to say the least, with the guests preferring to drink a lot of falling down water and chat instead. The Nolans rammed the floor, whilst later on, Bon Jovi cleared it (I've never seen that before), only for them to come back to Mr Brightside....there was no real gauging of this one.

Because I only realistically had a 3 hour set....it absolutely flew by, with thanks and handshakes from BOTH of the newlyweds tonight

Time now for a glass or three of Pinot Grigio (not of the McDonalds variety), and then some well earned sleep. It's been a long week by the time you add in two weddings, a couple of venue visits and a lot of speaking to future brides and grooms......

Speaking of which....I'm looking forward to next Saturday's wedding A LOT after finally catching up with the groom on the phone just before I left for tonight's wedding (it's a long story). It's going to be a self-indulgent break from the norm to say the least.

Let's just say it will have music from the time when you could sing along to it (i.e. 1950-1989), much of it will be bottom of the barrel cheese (yes, the Hokey Cokey and Jive Bunny have been requested along with Superman, Agadoo and various others of that ilk), and the lighting will be brought to you by the colours blue, red, green and yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Speaking of which....I'm looking forward to next Saturday's wedding A LOT after finally catching up with the groom on the phone just before I left for tonight's wedding (it's a long story). It's going to be a self-indulgent break from the norm to say the least.

Let's just say it will have music from the time when you could sing along to it (i.e. 1950-1989), much of it will be bottom of the barrel cheese (yes, the Hokey Cokey and Jive Bunny have been requested along with Superman, Agadoo and various others of that ilk), and the lighting will be brought to you by the colours blue, red, green and yellow
    Bugger it! Busy that night, or I'd have roadied for diesel money*.

My wedding last night had similar elements, Wayne. A monastery with a " challenging " setup. All planned sensibly, and doesn't follow the script. On room turn round, guests are supposed to leave the room and go out of one door, while you enter with the kit from the other side. Except they mill around aimlessly, while the kids try to play in the lift you're bringing the kit up in. ( Yes, best access is from the floor below, unless you fight your way through the bar, which is at ground level from another car park )

The bar is a long walk behind you, and that's also where they serve the buffet. Less than ideal.
    The function room is stone walls and very few soft furnishings, so resonates a lot. That's the brickbats, now the plaudits. The staff I met were fabulous, the room is stunning, with bright white walls to use as lighting backdrops, and there's acres of room on the low stage.

Once I got them out of the bar, we were off and running, with a fair dose of Cheese and Anthems, until the blasted buffet. That killed it, and I had an interesting request list, with slowies galore, loads of Dance/Trance, and a heap of Indie/Rock Anthems. We were down for an 11.15pm finish, mainly due to neighbours and noise issues, and with less than an hour to go, my by now small crowd were flagging. I was resigned to tearing up the playlist, and ambling to the line with easy singalong good time songs everybody knew. Good plan, eh?

My, but folk can sell you a dummy sometimes. I was asked for Ride On Time, and the bride and mates took to the floor en masse. Half a dozen of that nature followed, along with Sandstorm, which I'd given up any hope of playing. Then into Sex On Fire/Chelsea Dagger/Brightside/ and Livin' On A Prayer, before cramming in some last minute leftfield requests and finishing on John Legend-All Of Me, which was on my list.

Happy guests, happy venue staff, jubilant B&G, and a DJ.

* Diesel money. I'm usually free, but the van's got a raging thirst.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 26-08-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Default You've got to laugh!

Well, strange scenario time again!!!!

Just after lunch time last Wednesday, I received a call from a young lady who was rather panicky shall we say.... Ok, she was more than that, she was in a proper state! It was nothing that I / We haven't heard before.....A friend of a friend who just happens to do a bit of DJing had said that he would provide the Disco for her 30th birthday on Saturday (funny how I call someone who is 30 young now, must be something that happens when you turn 50 eh!).

Rather than do what I have been doing for the last year, and tell a 'porkie', saying I have no availability, because I just don't feel up to it, I had a moment and thought "Why not? It's a bank holiday so I'll be off on Monday anyway". I also felt a bit bad for her, because she seemed very upset about the whole thing, because her friend of a friend had not been in touch with 3 days to go. "Did you pay a deposit?" I asked.... "No, he's a friend of a friend" she replied.
    "Ok, so you didn't get a booking form either then?"....."Erm, nope!" she replied.
    "So, has the DJ been in touch with you?" I asked....."No" she replied....."My friend was taking care of everything".

After a lengthy conversation, and weighing up the odds, I decided I would brave it (and that's exactly how it feels of late, a brave thing to do for me), I told her I could help her out and provide the disco for her. I gave her a price, she agreed it, and then I took her details and told her that I would need to get booking forms over to her via email. I also told her that I would need the booking forms signed and back to me as soon as possible, and a deposit was required to secure the booking. An hour or so after our conversation, she paid the deposit via online banking......all good you'd think eh?

The venue was a decent sized social club (don't suddenly think that just because I mention the words 'social' and 'club' that it was one of those dives...it was actually very nice FROM WHAT I SAW OF IT (all will become clear shortly).

I did the usual and contacted the venue once the deposit had been received, to arrange access and set up times. An afternoon set up wasn't possible as the venue was being used for a children's party. "Anytime after 5.30pm" I was told by the lady on the phone. "Ok, no problem".

The venue was only 8 miles down the road from my house. The party was due to start at 7.30pm so I knew I could leave my place at 6.00pm and be there way before 6.30pm which would give me an hour to set up, even if I was on a go slow (it generally takes me 30 minutes to set up).

(Now it gets interesting!).....

When I arrived at the venue at around 6.20pm and pulled up in the van, I sensed that something wasn't right. I don't know what it was, but I just had a strange feeling about it all. There were just 2 vehicles in the car park, one of which was a people carrier. Just before I got out of the van, I saw a guy in jeans and t-shirt heading towards the people carrier. He opened the door, reached inside and I could see that he had grabbed a couple of cases of CD's. I then knew exactly what was going on, and I had to laugh. He didn't appear to notice me at all. I let him walk into the venue and then got out of the van and slowly walked in through the door.

I could see a nice sized stage, and on that stage was a Disco set up! There was another guy behind the set up too. It wasn't the best looking set up in the world, that's for sure. The cable police would have had a field day if they had been in attendance.
    To cut a long story very short (you'll be pleased to hear, I'm sure!)..... I stood there for 10 minutes, chatting to the guys before we were joined by a group of people (birthday girl's family), who were carrying buffet food, balloons and decorations.

I introduced myself to them, and after another conversation with the father (the birthday girl wasn't there as she was arriving later), it was obvious to everybody that there had been a severe muck up. The guys responsible for the Disco who were the friend of a friend, had now finished setting up and were sound checking. I'll be honest, the set up looked rank, but whatever they were using for sound, sounded nice.

The father of the birthday girl was a very nice guy. He could see where the problem was (the other guys), but as he said (and I agreed with him), "The Disco is set up now, and it is going to be a lot of hassle to get them to pack down and you set up".
    I had received a decent deposit from the birthday girl when I took on the late booking, and when the father handed me £50.00 for my time and inconvenience, I thought it was a decent gesture. The terms and conditions on my booking form state full payment if the booking is cancelled within 7 days. Seeing as the booking was only taken on 3 days previously, the birthday girl had gone through enough grief, and the father seemed very decent, I decided that I was happy with what I had received. In reality, I had spent time talking to the girl on the phone, spent a few minutes creating the booking forms, and less than an hour packing the van and driving to the venue.

I was home again by 7.30pm, the van was unpacked by 8.00pm and I was back indoors chilling out again. I sat there with a beer, watching crap TV with a grin on my face, thinking....."Maybe something, somewhere is telling me that I've had my time?".

Funny thing is.... A few years ago (probably 8 at a guess), the same kind of thing happened to me at a very nice venue in Hampshire (Tylney Hall).
    On that occasion, I turned up in the morning for an early set up for a wedding, and on arrival, another Disco supplier was just finishing setting up. Also on that occasion, that Disco supplier (who shall not be named, but they used to post on here a few years ago), were adamant that they were in the right place, and they argued the toss with me for far too long. I KNEW I was in the right, and they were in the wrong, but they wouldn't have it, and I started to doubt myself.
    I remember us both marching to reception so we could find out who was supposed to be where, because there were 2 rooms that were having Discos on that day as there were 2 weddings going on.

You should have seen the other guys face when he realised that he had severely mucked up, and that he now had to dismantle the Disco, and either load it back into his van and get to the other room, or carry across to the other room (which, if you have been to Tylney Hall before, you'll know that between the 2 rooms are a few steps here and there, it's not the easiest especially if you're rushing about)...

I could have helped him..... I didn't. I sat in the van and waited.
    Had he of been a decent human being and not up his own backside, I would not have had any problem helping him.
    Another funny thing is that the Bride & Groom said they poked their heads in the room when the DJ was setting up, and just assumed that it was either me, or somebody working for me. They were oblivious!

If I remember correctly, that was a cracking night too. It was very hot so people stayed outside until late, but the dance floor was packed solid for over 2 hours with Indie and Electro anthems pumping out of my newly acquired RCF subs.

Just to add (as I am sure somebody may mention it), Yes, I could have taken the full payment for the booking that never happened on Saturday, and not just a deposit as my Terms & Conditions also state full payment is due 10 days before the booking. I'm not sure why I didn't?
    Maybe something (again), was telling me to air on the side of caution?
    I doubt the father of the birthday girl would have been so calm and chilled had his daughter parted with the full payment, and I wasn't required.

Yep well done. I have had similar. You did the right thing. Good man. You were not out of pocket and got a few quid just for turning up.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Thank you. I think I did the right thing. I'm glad somebody else agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Thank you. I think I did the right thing. I'm glad somebody else agrees.
    I agree too. Everybody happy, customer had a disco, all good.

Default From comfort zone to Twilight zone.....

Tonight's gig was one I stupidly made waaaaay too many assumptions on

I took the call several weeks ago whilst driving around the Peak District on holibobs (that seems like such a long time ago now....). Corporate party in a local-ish rugby club I've worked in several times before, and the requirement to "play a bit of everything"

How hard can that be?

Hang on...let me open this well earned beer and I'll relate my tale of woe......

OK - when is a rugby club function room NOT a rugby club function room?
    When they've bolted a big tent onto the back of it!

I'd turned up armed with my EV50s and minimal lighting (it's not a huge venue), thinking it was going to be the usual type of gig in there. I also (because it was a corporate gig) turned up suited and booted like you do. Wrong again....it was a festival themed doo so shorts and loud shirts were the order of the night.

I actually had the last laugh on that one - I know only too well how cold marquees get once the sun goes down and believe me....this was a chilly one.

The setup area left a lot to be desired. The marquee was "carpeted".....badly. The outside of the club has a small patio area and then a footpath which runs around the outside of the building. Chairs and tables were put onto the patio area, whilst the dance floor was put onto the grass beside it (the grass being under the carpet). Neither myself nor the venue were taking any responsibility for the state of the floor - it was shocking!

My setup area involved me standing on the footpath (under carpet - you couldn't see where the path ended and the grass at a slightly lower level began), with the booth on the grass. It was uncomfortably wobbly! I was actually grateful I hadn't got too much kit with me....there was nowhere to actually safely stand it when all was said and done.

Had I been forewarned, it would have been a very different type of rig in the van with an overhead, big subs and tops.

So, we eventually settle in for light background music (actually at just about full volume), whilst a plethora of chip vans, pizza vans, ice cream vans, a photo booth, a glitter booth and a crepe booth arrive. I was so glad I'd thought to take a meal-deal with me....no offers of grub were forthcoming

And now the best bit.....the music.

Note the requirement at the start of this thread for "a bit of everything"

Now my interpretation of that would land me squarely in wedding territory with stuff from all decades and genres.

WRONG

Turns out they wanted pure current dance chart stuff....EEEEEEKKK!!!!

Now those of you who know me, know that like the majority of mobile jocks these days....I haven't got a Scooby Doo as to what's in the singles charts, let alone the dance charts. I last entered a nightclub (not counting Reflex on Broad Street last year) back at the start of the 1990s.

Although I probably know most of the banging choons from listening to what comes in on PromoOnly every day, I couldn't actually put a name to them . They all sound the same to me

Thankfully, the mighty Gooooogle came in very handy along with a handful of guest requests and a handle little function in Virtual DJ called "Genius DJ" which will search for similar tracks to the one being played. Although of course just seeing what's in the chart doesn't mean you know what they are, does it .

Needless to say, decks 1 & 2 were busy on main play-out duty whilst decks 3 & 4 were well ahead of the game in preview mode. I worked hard for this one! For the first time in a long time, it wasn't about fading between tracks either. Effects, filters and everything else my MCX7000 has on board came in very handy tonight.

But you know what? I nailed it

Don't ask me how, but I had a full dance floor pretty much the entire evening and no complaints about the lack of noise/bass from the EV's (poor little things did hit their first limiter a couple of times though ). I even got a round of applause at the end.

Although it was bloody hard work, it was very enjoyable at the same time. It's good to occasionally be thrown out of the comfort zone and be made to work for your money - and tonight proved that point.

Time to finish these couple of well earned beers now before something a lot more sedate and back in my own comfort zone tomorrow night

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    T
    Although it was bloody hard work, it was very enjoyable at the same time. It's good to occasionally be thrown out of the comfort zone and be made to work for your money - and tonight proved that point.
    I know whereof you speak. I own the covering for the upper torso.

OK, my( and Mattysounds ) gig. Local to him, at an " interesting" venue. Very interesting. Trendy wine bar, with the function room accessed by a whacking great metal fire escape, for a start. I've never seen a function room laid out like it! Lots of benches/booths round the sides, and the disco goes in the one in the corner next to the toilets!

To your right is the staircase out to the roof garden, and in front of you is an archway and a big wall. The bar is on the other side of the wall, insulated from the sound the Mauis ( yes, I took them, and wish I hadn't. Snap, Wayne. If there's a next time, it's Proels, we used the Mauis cos we were expecting a singer. ) were making. Thus, the area containing the disco is deafening, and the bar is quiet.

Surprise 30th birthday party, for the boyfriend of a lovely lady, and once we'd rigged up the Micron, Mauis, and overhead, we shared out our tasks. Matty effectively played the music, and I kept drinks and punters off the kit. Lord, if there's one thing which will make me give this game up, it's folk cannoning into the kit with glasses of San Miguel held aloft.

Blimey, I've got barely clothed stunning ladies cavorting in front of me, and all I can see is the beer in the fellas' hands. To be honest, it really took the shine off what would have been a blindingly good night. The music split into Pop/Dance, R&B/Rap, and Indie, in that order, and the crowd lapped it up avidly.

Once again, heartfelt thanks to Dave and Matty for their help, it's appreciated. Matty, you played a blinder, as always.