Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Def not a karaoke singer......

Likes a bit of accapello DJmissbehaving's Avatar

Default is this true.....

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    As someone has already said if you are a karaoke dj then you should be able to sing.

Bit off topic but when i was at college i was taught how to sing correctly like standing up straight, opening your mouth and projecting your voice. Even though i know how to sing i still choose not to.

I guess if the money was ok and the buisness was there then i guess i would think about doing it but i dont have the confidence in myself to sing infront of people full stop. lol
    If you are a karaoke do you have to know how to sing though?? This is the point i am tryin to get at.

I think it is good for a karaoke DJ to sing as this allows the karaoke to get started and gets the crowd involved but i dont think its a fundamental rule of a DJ karaoke. Just my personal opinion. Maybe if i could sing i would think differently....hahaha

Maby it could be worth taking up a few lessons???

Default No way.....

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Maby it could be worth taking up a few lessons???
    Are you kidding???

THink i will give that a miss. Noone could teach me how to sing. I just have one of they voices. If i ever had to i will stick to the low easy songs. i.e Rotterdam-Beautiful south, Bonnie Tyler- I need a hero.....Ruining them very badly during it....

I am prone to doing the odd bit of drunk karaoke, that way i have an excuse for being rubbish haha....

ppentertainments

I also think it is important not to be too good at singing. Sounds silly but have done karaoke's where a really good singer has been on but puts everyone else off from trying. You have to remember a karaoke is for people to enjoy themselves regardless of singing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I also think it is important not to be too good at singing. Sounds silly but have done karaoke's where a really good singer has been on but puts everyone else off from trying. You have to remember a karaoke is for people to enjoy themselves regardless of singing ability.
    Very good and true point.....

Hi,

It would be interesting to compile some lists:

The easy tracks to sing (for us KJs who can't sing)
    e.g - Wonderwall, Da Do Ron Ron etc

and

The *really* hard ones only for the pro's:
    Killing me softly

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

Completely agree with that, Chris.

As a singer, I can sing (some!) songs but when I'm KJ'ing I always go for the crowd pleasers (I'm Gonna Be (500 miles), Amarillo, Hey Hey We're The Monkees, Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, etc) as I feel this helps the party atmosphere along and doesn't put the punters off.

If I'm not working, then I go for something a little different (True, Through The Barricades (both Spandau Ballet), Something Inside So Strong (Labi Siffre), Lean On Me (Bill Withers), Dark End Of The Street (Commitments), Something (Beatles), My Girl (Temptations) etc).

So, as you can see, my choices for work and pleasure are completely different.

Scotty, that's a good idea as it will give KJs a starting point for which songs to try. Everyone's voice is different and suited to different songs tho so it's a case of finding what's best for the individual. I believe that everyone can sing if they choose the right song (look at Shane McGowen from the Pogues!).

Easy songs - See above for the ones I do for work!

Hard(er) songs - Most stuff by the beatles!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

songs i sing regularly (and i cant sing very well at all)

the boxtops - the letter
    elvis costello - olivers army
    elvis - the wonder of you
    rem - losing my religion

and as a duo (with one of the barmaids ussually) b52's - love shack
    "Flexability - versatility and a sat-nav !!"

BeatRoute Mobile Disco & Karaoke covering Sunderland, Durham, & Tyne and wear areas.

Quote Originally Posted by axeman View Post
    songs i sing regularly (and i cant sing very well at all)

the boxtops - the letter
    elvis costello - olivers army
    elvis - the wonder of you
    rem - losing my religion

and as a duo (with one of the barmaids ussually) b52's - love shack

I have to admit to only recognising the last two songs....i would probably know them if i heard them but cant say i know of them....

Like the idea of the duet with the barstaff. Not very often you would get barstaff up for things like that....

Quote Originally Posted by DJmissbehaving View Post
    I have to admit to only recognising the last two songs....i would probably know them if i heard them but cant say i know of them....

That's very honest of you, Pamela, but now I feel really old (at 32 that's not a great feeling!). The Letter by The Boxtops is a great song from the 60s. At your next gig, put it on for the soundcheck and I'm sure you'll recognise it. It's a classic that has been used on several TV adverts (but I've had a drink tonight and no names spring to mind right now!)

As for Elvis Costello's Olivers Army, this was the first record I bought (or rather my mum bought for me cos I was always singing along when it came on the radio). I still have it today!

Quote Originally Posted by DJmissbehaving View Post
    Like the idea of the duet with the barstaff. Not very often you would get barstaff up for things like that....
    You've obviously not KJ'd in Durham or Tyneside before. I do a few pubs and clubs up here and the bar staff love singing. I've seen times when a venue has been quiet and me and the bar staff have just had a good sing song between ourselves. Mind you, I think they just like being the centre of attention at times!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!