Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My cunning plan

Default My cunning plan

and a question. There's always a question, isn't there?

OK, so the Cortex feeds channels 1 and 2 on the mixer, and since I'm so set in my ways, I have two more available. 3 is for the combined CD/Minidisc deck I've now found a perfect use for,which leaves channel four. As you all know, I'm worried my failing memory will not be able to cope without the inspiration from browsing CD sleeves, so there's a laptop, intended for database use only. I say intended, cos now I've found media monkey, I have a dual purpose database/playout system.
    Now here's the question. Obviously, I need a high grade sound card so the Maya is the only one I know, except there are two other variables. If I were to get a mixer like say the Numark 200USB (I think) it will have a card built in , won't it, and it does 90% of what I want in a mixer for less than £200 or so. If I were to get the Maya, or one similar I might want to upgrade the existing mixer, which would be very costly with what I have in mind.

Right, please don't give me the "all you'll need is the Cortex/Numark/Denon/Lappy" cos for now that's not gonna happen. The question, with two fixed parameters is " Soundcard plus mixer, or mixer with card built in? Mixer minimum is two dedicated Mic channels, four audio.
    Your thoughts as ever appreciated, and suggestions of what you recommend would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

3,500 and rising.

Maya's alot of money...for me at this moment in time...
    I bought a cheap sound card for £30.00...Sound blaster i think....till the money is rolling in but this is only used for my laptop back up.

But i thought a sound card is only for use on a laptop..... ......if you have a mixer why would you need a sound card......should the Cortex have a sound card.....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Maya's alot of money...for me at this moment in time...
    I bought a cheap sound card for £30.00...Sound blaster i think....till the money is rolling in but this is only used for my laptop back up.

But i thought a sound card is only for use on a laptop..... ......if you have a mixer why would you need a sound card......should the Cortex have a sound card.....
    It does Tony, but I need one for the lappy! Unless of course I get a mixer like the Numark with one built in.

Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

I wouldn't advise getting a mixer with soundcard in as it depends on the software you are using to whether you can configure it.
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 16-05-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Hi Peter, I think your saying you want to play your Laptop through the mixer as an additional play out source.

If its only back up or for using on odd occasions have you considered using the internal sound card and not bothering with anything else?

My Lappy is an 18 month old Acer and playing music through the Peavey System with the Subs sounds pretty ok to me.

Have you started doing Virtual Discos with the 3500 tracks to make sure everything is settling in nicely?

If not thats the next job

regards

ALAN
    CRAZY K

The Numark CM200USB uses the same sound card as my USB mixer and works in the same way (and you know what mine sounds like so you can decide from that ).

I think it looks like a nice mixer and even something I would perhaps consider in the near future

It comes with 2 USB cables as well (which saves a lot of trawling about for an additional one) - may seem obvious but there are a lot of USB mixers that only come with one USB lead.

I think this would be a good choice and if it were me (and my experience of Numark) I would go for it.

By the way, shop around, you can get them for well under £200

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I wouldn't advise getting a mixer with soundcard in as it depends on the software you are using to whether you can configure it.
    Wharever happened to plug and play?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Hi Peter, I think your saying you want to play your Laptop through the mixer as an additional play out source.
    Yes! Yes
    If its only back up or for using on odd occasions have you considered using the internal sound card and not bothering with anything else?
    No. I may try it first to see privately, but from what I gather, the internal one could be lower grade, and I think it will come from a headphone socket, which is never good news.
    My Lappy is an 18 month old Acer and playing music through the Peavey System with the Subs sounds pretty ok to me.
    Mine's a brand new Acer!
    Have you started doing Virtual Discos with the 3500 tracks to make sure everything is settling in nicely?

If not thats the next job

regards

ALAN
    CRAZY K
    Every night's a virtual disco here! When I get tired of ripping, or find another mug to show it to, I just run it round.
    Tip, Alan. Try " East-West" and see what happens during playback

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    The Numark CM200USB uses the same sound card as my USB mixer and works in the same way (and you know what mine sounds like so you can decide from that ).

I think it looks like a nice mixer and even something I would perhaps consider in the near future

It comes with 2 USB cables as well (which saves a lot of trawling about for an additional one) - may seem obvious but there are a lot of USB mixers that only come with one USB lead.

I think this would be a good choice and if it were me (and my experience of Numark) I would go for it.

By the way, shop around, you can get them for well under £200
    The card I didn't know, The price I did. So do I pay £175,and go Numark /similar, or £450 for the one I fancy with a stand alone soundcard?

No. I may try it first to see privately, but from what I gather, the internal one could be lower grade, and I think it will come from a headphone socket, which is never good news.

Try it at Disco volume with Subs--you may get a pleasant surprise--

CRAZY K

Try it at Disco volume with Subs--you may get a pleasant surprise--

CRAZY K
    Like the neighbours popping round with a baseball bat ??
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall