Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed - Speakers!

Default Advice needed - Speakers!

After bad experiences with cheap (I'll admit it) Skytec speakers (curses their name), I am now thinking of a solid investment. Most of my work is venue-based, but I have small shows I send out as needed. Looking to upgrade the speakers to more reliable ones. I have seen the pictures of some of the kit you guys have and I am very impressed, but I am no way in the big leagues. Mainly small pubs, functions doing occasional events, quiz's, one-off DJs etc.

500w is ample for what I need, but I;d like to hear user's opinions on preamp speakers over passive ones. I have heard both good and bad reports, but I'd like to have experience comment on this guys . Cheers in advance...

Is that 500 watts per side or total. Maby for 300 per side and if you need subs then get those at a later date?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeetabix View Post
    After bad experiences with cheap (I'll admit it) Skytec speakers (curses their name), I am now thinking of a solid investment. Most of my work is venue-based, but I have small shows I send out as needed. Looking to upgrade the speakers to more reliable ones. I have seen the pictures of some of the kit you guys have and I am very impressed, but I am no way in the big leagues. Mainly small pubs, functions doing occasional events, quiz's, one-off DJs etc.

500w is ample for what I need, but I;d like to hear user's opinions on preamp speakers over passive ones. I have heard both good and bad reports, but I'd like to have experience comment on this guys . Cheers in advance...
    Craig - watts means nothing, it's efficiency that is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Craig - watts means nothing, it's efficiency that is relevant.
    .....that's why i use my Warriors......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    .....that's why i use my Warriors......

Warriors........come out to play... (now which film was that from?)

Or Tone, I spose we could say....you passive , me active (in a Tarzan styley) and cheetah is still having his tea party in Nottingham hospital
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Come join the Mackie active / Class D passive club!

Quote Originally Posted by pagan_flame View Post
    Come join the Mackie active...
    Can I join this club aswell please???

most I have ever needed to use is a 500w amp, the venues I have needed them for havent warrented anything bigger

I have a pair of 300w rated warriors...blew the top end on them. Axeman doing a repair this week.

I was thinking preamp speakers would be easier in terms of storage and installation, but like I said, I've had mixed feedback from people who have used them in the past...

I use Studiomaster VX15s which I am very happy with if you could get a pair cheaply they are good, but if I had to get a new set of speakers there is no doubt I would go for RCF when I was on holiday they had them out doors uncovered day & night sounded great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

for size and weight has to be the rcf 310a but then again we could all recomend speakers on here but its a personal thing