Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind up lighting stands

501damian501

Default Wind up lighting stands

whats the benifits of having a wind up lightstand, how many of you lot are using them, are us dj's getting lazy?
    Last edited by soundtracker; 17-06-2008 at 07:50 AM.

The obvious benefits are that the lighting bar can be raised safely, and can be positioned at the height that is required rather than being pre-destined by the length of the uprights - nothing to do with being lazy, just more practical.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    The obvious benefits are that the lighting bar can be raised safely, and can be positioned at the height that is required rather than being pre-destined by the length of the uprights - nothing to do with being lazy, just more practical.
    Agreed.

I've even been considering getting a couple to replace my standard tripods.

highly recomend them. always use them. enables you to rig at a safe and easy height and then winch your effects up nice and high maximising their effects
    www.LazerDJs.co.uk

DJ Hire | Mobile Discos/Clubs | Sound & Lighting Hire | PA Hire | Band/Theatre Lighting | Intelligent Lighting | Lasers | Atmospherics

wind up stands :

pros.

take less time to put things up so clients are happier and events such as weddings run smoother

dj doesnt fall off so many tables while putting lights up.

(see 2) less injuries sustained by dj with death defying light putting up

if you buy good quality they can be alot more manoeuverable mine has wheels so i can either put it up out side and wheel it in if things are over running or put half of it up and use it as a trolley

for me it means im not in bed unable to walk for 3 days after every gig like i used to be as you hook the lights on a eye level then just winch up

mine has a deckstand built in so .... no more tables needed from venues.

cons.

if you buy cheap you can get build quality issues that said my first winch up was a prolight that i used for 2-3 years without a single problem.

again with the bottom end rigs i have heard people having problems with the winches etc. not good as hardly anyone i know carries a spare truss.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

well health and safety states you can only climb 3 steps on a ladder so if you want to get your lighting rig up to a nice hight ( lasers 3 meters ) then winch is the best way to do it
    i have a prolight winch truss it dose the job cost 200 pounds but thinking of getting something new like http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...ter_bundle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    well health and safety states you can only climb 3 steps on a ladder
    Where did you get that from? I'm in the building trade by day and thats just not true.

A ladder can be used at any height where the work is deemed to be remedial. I believe the rule of thumb is a job that will take less than 10 mins to complete if the task is likely to exeed this then more suitable equipment should be used such as a step up podium or mobile tower (if you have a pasma ticket) or if the work is nearly all at height then powered access is preffered (again if you have ticket - this time IPAF) the only stipulations with using ladders are there must remain 3 points of contact at all times over a height of 600mm (i think - can check if req)

Anyway - I used a set of prolight winch stands approx £80 each from the bay - and they sucked - buckled under weight at the point where the cable goes over the wheel/pully However they worked long enough for me to realise they are without doubt the way forward for the reasons others have mentioned.
    Last edited by Richard Veal; 17-06-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

i might be wrong but the window cleaning company that come to clean the care home i work in use telescopic hoses to clean the 2nd floor windows because they are not allowed to use ladders

i might be wrong but the window cleaning company that come to clean the care home i work in use telescopic hoses to clean the 2nd floor windows because they are not allowed to use ladders
    That is probably something to do with their insurance I would have thought.

Sorry didn't mean it to sound like i was having a go, The above would make sense as the work although possibly short for each window is repeated and in my eyes would be correct practice not to use a ladder. In fact window cleaners who still only use ladders are a bit oif a pet hate of mine as they are on the balance of whats right and wrong - In fact if you read the legislation on working at height its almost written so that it doesn't effect window cleaners, A loop hole if you like.
    If you can't convince them, confuse them