Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bouncy cheque

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    No, it improved apparantly.

Everyone could hear again after about 30 mins...not that I was told you are loud on the mic.
    Always gets rid of those whingers who say---we cant hear what your saying

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I thought that's what all businesses did...charging clients more than it actually costs THEM in the first place.

Isn't that how businesses make a profit?

Very clever Rob and I thought you worked in a bank.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-charges.html

Note the phrase "The watchdog said the penalty charges must reflect the actual cost to the banks generated by an unauthorised overdraft, and not be used to boost profits."
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 22-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Very clever Rob and I thought you worked in a bank.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-charges.html

Note the phrase "The watchdog said the penalty charges must reflect the actual cost to the banks generated by an unauthorised overdraft, and not be used to boost profits."
    The problem is, how many OTHER businesses have charges which don't reflect their ACTUAL costs?

I just don't understand why banks have been singled out when so many other businesses do the same thing.

For example, how many current affairs programmes or news programmes have started campaigns to get people back their charges paid to a certain online auction site (which I understand takes around a BILLION pounds a year in charges)?

ppentertainments

They didn't pay by cheque on the night. They paid 10 days before.
    Sorry, I just assumed had paid on the night if cheque had not cleared beforehand.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I had this happen to me last week too! They just transfered me the money in the end and I haven't had a charge from the bank yet. I think mine only charge if I represent the cheque, you get one bounce for free!
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

The problem is, how many OTHER businesses have charges which don't reflect their ACTUAL costs?

How many other businesses are there that charge like banks do?

How on earth can you defend banks when they make billions of pounds profit each year and charge £35 to tell you that you went 1p over your overdraft limit.

How can 1 letter cost £35?

How on earth can you defend banks when they make billions of pounds profit each year and charge £35 to tell you that you went 1p over your overdraft limit.

I agree. A bank manager is a man who will lend you an umbrella when the sun is shining and as soon as it starts to rain he wants it back!
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Darren,

I'm not defending the banks....far from it.

The reason I left after 24 years was due to pay & conditions which became unacceptable to me, despite the bank making massive profits.

It's fashionable to knock the banks these days, but the point I'm making is that there are TWO sides to every coin.

A recent thread which many people agreed with suggested that we as DJs (as well as all other businesses) should charge for every aspect of our service...and even more so for the things that physically cost us money.

However, banks DON'T.....and that's a fact!

For example, if you remain in credit, all the basic banking services are free for personal customers, even though they cost the bank money & banks in other countries DO charge for many of these services.

Every cheque you pay into a personal account costs the bank around 50p to clear, but they don't charge customers anything for this...neither do they charge for providing cards, cheque books, paying in books, statements, cheque book covers, statement binders, cash withdrawals or deposits over the counter or through their cash machines or setting up / amending / paying standing orders & direct debits, making transfers...as well as many other services.

Out of interest, how many aspects of YOUR service to clients are there which physically cost you money but which you don't charge them for?

As for being charged £35 for a letter advising you've gone overdrawn or exceeded your overdraft limit, in all my time in the bank, when there were only small amounts involved (although very often a lot more than 1p), we would usually refund these charges.

However, in these days of online banking, telephone banking & banking through cash machines, it's easier than it's ever been to keep track of the transactions on your account...and therefore easier to avoid going overdrawn or exceeding your overdraft limit and incurring charges.

I have little sympathy for people who can't even manage or don't bother to keep a check on their account, and in my opinion they deserve to go overdrawn & end up getting charged.

Anyone who has problems keeping track of their account can also obtain a wallet register from the bank, which is a booklet where they can record details of transactions. Once again, there is no charge for these.

If the English banking system is as bad as many would have us believe, you have to wonder why it's still the envy of the world.

As I said, every coin has two sides.
    Last edited by rob1963; 22-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Darren,

For example, if you remain in credit, all the basic banking services are free for personal customers

I'm a business customer with 6 accounts and I pay charges

Every cheque you pay into a personal account costs the bank around 50p to clear, but they don't charge customers anything for this...neither do they charge for providing cards, cheque books, paying in books, statements, cheque book covers, statement binders, cash withdrawals or deposits over the counter or through their cash machines or setting up / amending / paying standing orders & direct debits, making transfers...as well as many other services.

And you think that banks should charge us for cheque books and debit cards to spend out own money that the are earning interest on? Banks make their money from overdrafts and loans and business charges, so don't talk wet Rob. You've already said they are in business. You don't think that giving the client cheque books etc will not encourage them to use the banks for loans and mortgages etc

Out of interest, how many aspects of YOUR service to clients are there which physically cost you money but which you don't charge them for?

Good example - the bank whose cheque bounced. I had to ring them and send them paperwork, but I didn't charge them £35 for the priveledge. I also source and pay for music for clients and don't charge them, as well as supplying paperwork for free (not that I'd charge them, but then I was just using your crap example about banks not charging for cheque books or statements

As for being charged £35 for a letter advising you've gone overdrawn or exceeded your overdraft limit, in all my time in the bank, when there were only small amounts involved (although very often a lot more than 1p), we would usually refund these charges.

Sorry, but I have had first hand experience of this, so don't agree.

However, in these days of online banking, telephone banking & banking through cash machines, it's easier than it's ever been to keep track of the transactions on your account...and therefore easier to avoid going overdrawn or exceeding your overdraft limit and incurring charges.

I have little sympathy for people who can't even manage or don't bother to keep a check on their account, and think they deserve to go overdrawn & end up getting charged.

It must be great to be as perfect as you Rob and never get anything wrong. Mistakes happen.

As I said, every coin has two sides.
    And as usual, you are just giving one unbiased (not) side!

As long as you're not defending the banks...

[QUOTE] I'm a business customer with 6 accounts and I pay charges

And I'm a business customer who pays charges, but I also have personal accounts which don't cost me a penny.

[QUOTE] You don't think that giving the client cheque books etc will not encourage them to use the banks for loans and mortgages etc

Of COURSE I don't think that. Whether or not I have a cheque book or card will make NO difference whatsoever to whether I apply for a loan or a mortgage.

Also, my bank regularly increasing my overdraft limit & credit card limit makes no difference whatsoever to how much I spend, although I accept I have more common sense than many.

[QUOTE] Good example - the bank whose cheque bounced. I had to ring them and send them paperwork, but I didn't charge them £35 for the priveledge. I also source and pay for music for clients and don't charge them, as well as supplying paperwork for free (not that I'd charge them, but then I was just using your crap example about banks not charging for cheque books or statements

That's interesting, as I'm pretty sure I've seen you do posts saying that we should charge clients for ALL aspects of our service & the work we do.

Maybe I've got it wrong, or maybe you've just changed your mind since then.

[QUOTE] It must be great to be as perfect as you Rob and never get anything wrong.

With all due respect, now YOU'RE the one talking crap, as I've never said anything of the sort.

If a chart was compiled of the MDD forum members who think the most of themselves, I'd be WAY down the list...as you well know.

Know anyone who would be above me?

[QUOTE] Mistakes happen.

They do indeed, and when they do we have to pay the consequences...that's life.

However, anyone with half a brain will LEARN from their mistakes.
    Last edited by rob1963; 23-07-2008 at 12:20 AM.