Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Or Bought

Default Custom Or Bought

just a quick question does anybody actully custom make there own rack stands/boxes, was just thinking about doing it, coz work has just thrown a couple of full size 19" server racks away, and just looking at the prices of plain rack equipment it's just crazy,

http://www.terralec.co.uk/rack_cabin...h/23148_p.html

just a thought, and was wondering if anyone does, it does help being a little resource full with a welder and grinder, will post some piccys.
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Those prices are actually pretty cheap for steel racks! Although, I wouldn't think they'd be any good to DJ use though as they don't have lids. I think you'd be mad to try and make your own.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

well then what do you do, if the steel racks that people buy are no good, because e.g. they dont come with lids, or they dont come with casters, etc etc, well then you have to make your own/modify an existing one, the old server rack had to be at least 6-7ft high, well thats miles to big, so all you gotta is cut it down and move the lid down and weld it up then repair and decorate accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Just buy it.

I'm all for people making things......but by the time you have done this, it don't save you any IMO.

Alright you get the satisfaction you built it and it's what you wanted.....but the amount of time doing the project could be spent some where else.....

Just my opinion.......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

i made my cuurent cd/mixer box - still using teh prototype one i posted on here earlier this year. I now have sorted all the issues and will be building 2 boxes (with some modifications) sometime soon. I used to by my boxes but I found them big and unweildy - the box ive done tucks nicelly into your stomach and is far easier and lighter to carry around, than teh std shop brought ones a critical issue if like me you have a bad lower back
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

well if i say that it took me a max of 2 days to cut down weld up and all thats left to do is paint it, and flat off any rough areas, then i probably reckon that it is quicker to make one rather than having to wait for a parcel company to deliever one, and we all know how good that is.

but hey each to their own and this does exactly what im after.

You'd have to be extremely handy to beat modern technology, on all counts.

Default Rack Mount Stand

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...8051&DOY=21m11

This is a good reason for not making your own. you couldnt make this for £50 delivered Luke

501damian501

Quote Originally Posted by mldiscos View Post
    just a quick question does anybody actully custom make there own rack stands/boxes, was just thinking about doing it, coz work has just thrown a couple of full size 19" server racks away, and just looking at the prices of plain rack equipment it's just crazy,

http://www.terralec.co.uk/rack_cabin...h/23148_p.html

just a thought, and was wondering if anyone does, it does help being a little resource full with a welder and grinder, will post some piccys.
    welding or grinding in here and am the man to speak to

Quote Originally Posted by COOL HAND LUKE View Post
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...8051&DOY=21m11

This is a good reason for not making your own. you couldnt make this for £50 delivered Luke
    you wanna bet ?
    Last edited by Jiggles; 11-12-2008 at 07:05 AM.