Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going digital

Default Thinking of going digital

I know posts like this will appear here all the time but i'm seriously considering changing from cd to a laptop,one of the main reasons is that its getting harder to find songs the songs I want at nights. But im concerned about reliability? My set up just now consists of 2 spare cd players and a spare mixes, cables ect but with a laptop and harddrive it would cost too much to get a back up just now, and i feel taking cds aswell defeats the purpose of changing over.

Quote Originally Posted by JSideFx View Post
    I know posts like this will appear here all the time but i'm seriously considering changing from cd to a laptop,one of the main reasons is that its getting harder to find songs the songs I want at nights. But im concerned about reliability? My set up just now consists of 2 spare cd players and a spare mixes, cables ect but with a laptop and harddrive it would cost too much to get a back up just now, and i feel taking cds aswell defeats the purpose of changing over.
    I would go for it.
    I have a CD back up ( numark CDN22) , I just take the NOW CD`s and a couple of jazz, ratpack for background , so not many CD`s.

The laptop:

IMHO I would format the drive , put a bare minimum OS on it ( XP is great for this , try not to go on the internet with it , just have your playout software , keep music on a separate external drive , they are very cheap these days , and obtain am external sound card.
    I know this is inviting disaster , but I have never had a crash yet (computer )

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

OK, here's my two pennorth. As a Digital DJ of eleven months standing, I feel qualified to comment. ( That's two in-jokes, in case you didn't realise )

1) Before you commit to any system, rip all your CD's at your leisure. Accurately. Very accurately. Organise them to your personal preferences. Do not, repeat not even consider a system before you've done this.

2) Consider a HDC, whether it be Pioneer, Denon, Numark, or Cortex.

3) Use laptop plus HDC. Belt and braces. Foolproof. Posted by an accredited fool.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JSideFx View Post
    If your worried about cost go to USB---

Cortex HDC 1000 is around £250 x 2 =£500

HDs probably £100 each.

You may be able to find USB readers secondhand--I wouldnt personally buy a secondhand Laptop or Hard Drive,

CRAZY K

I have to say Ive had this laptop for nearly 18 months. I use it all the time and only recently started using it at gigs ALONGSIDE my two denon cd players and its never crashed. Not only that but I have a few games installed, loads of pictures and all my music on the computers hard drive. Its been far more reliable than my denons!
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    OK, here's my two pennorth. As a Digital DJ of eleven months standing, I feel qualified to comment. ( That's two in-jokes, in case you didn't realise )

1) Before you commit to any system, rip all your CD's at your leisure. Accurately. Very accurately. Organise them to your personal preferences. Do not, repeat not even consider a system before you've done this.

3) Use laptop plus HDC. Belt and braces. Foolproof. Posted by an accredited fool.
    4) Buy a ProDub

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    4) Buy a ProDub
    Oops. Thanks Vectis, I'd assumed this was taken as read. ( Actually I'd overlooked it, but if you don't let on I think I might get away with it. )

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Good advice and totally agree (Especially the bit about the fool ).

Whilst it is easy to rush into it, spend time ripping your cd collection and ensure it is tagged correctly. With the price of Hard Drives at the moment I strongly reccomend ripping at the highest rip speed. Takes time but can save you hours of agony later if done correctly first time.

As far as laptop reliability goes, I used one for about a year as the main playout and now still use the same one for backup and background music. Never had any problems (apart from the time I forgot to plug it in and ran on battery till ...........). Personally speaking I prefer a HDC for the active part of the evening but a laptop for background music. Don't know why, just personal preference.

I would ask about to see if anyone local who uses digital can let you have a look before commiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Good advice and totally agree (Especially the bit about the fool ).

Whilst it is easy to rush into it, spend time ripping your cd collection and ensure it is tagged correctly. With the price of Hard Drives at the moment I strongly reccomend ripping at the highest rip speed. Takes time but can save you hours of agony later if done correctly first time.

As far as laptop reliability goes, I used one for about a year as the main playout and now still use the same one for backup and background music. Never had any problems (apart from the time I forgot to plug it in and ran on battery till ...........). Personally speaking I prefer a HDC for the active part of the evening but a laptop for background music. Don't know why, just personal preference.

I would ask about to see if anyone local who uses digital can let you have a look before commiting.
    Apart from the bit about the fool: Amen Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    4) Buy a ProDub
    OMG Vectis...you mentioned it!

I hope the boss doesn't see that post!