Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott mobile discos that use laptops!

Good thing I don't use a laptop for DJing and I'm setting up a function band.

DJ Jules, The amount of time I had people asking questions about the Denon HD2500 when I had one. Don't get it now I use CDs. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Regardless of whatever this particular person thinks - I do think DJs using laptops are not highly regarded by the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    Thats why a Cortex, or Denon HD or similar is always a good idea as it looks like a normal head unit. Public perception and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Yeah, they have that "Wow" factor No really, I've actually had quite a few people go "Wow" at the Cortex. I'd imagine the Numark DDS gets even more wows with it's colour screen

Public perception is a funny thing...

Julian
    Amen, Brethren
    Perception, perception, perception.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pagan_flame View Post

"...The golden rules...

1) If you're going to book a DJ get them to demo in front of you first.
    2) Agree what kit they are going to use and make them demo to you with that kit
    3) Don't pay them up front!!! Pay a deposit to retain them and the rest on completion of the gig.
    4) Ask for references..."
    Unbelievable.

The first three are complete rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Regardless of whatever this particular person thinks - I do think DJs using laptops are not highly regarded by the general public.
    Agreed.

Total load of tosh if you ask me. I don't think the clients care if you use CD's, laptop or a HDC. All they care about is having a good time. The "perceptions" are mainly a figment of some DJ's imagination .

How many guests actually bother to look behind the booth to look at what you are actually using?

How many DJ's have had feedback from clients that they are a naff DJ because they use a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Total load of tosh if you ask me. I don't think the clients care if you use CD's, laptop or a HDC. All they care about is having a good time. The "perceptions" are mainly a figment of some DJ's imagination .

How many guests actually bother to look behind the booth to look at what you are actually using?

How many DJ's have had feedback from clients that they are a naff DJ because they use a laptop?
    The negative association with laptops is there because people (rightly or wrongly) assume that the laptop is loaded up with illegal downloads, and that they're sitting playing Solitaire half the night, rather than concentrating on the job in hand.

Unfortunately, this does actually happen with some DJs.

Sorry, but I disagree. Guests see a laptop and know what it does, cos they have one at home. They also know how much of the work of selecting and mixing music it can do. This may lead them to believe the DJ is "lazy". When they see Cortex/Denon/MEP/D2/DDS they see a professional bit of kit they don't understand, which has buttons to push.

And also, plenty of guests look at the kit, and as soon as they see the laptop, they assume it's running the show.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. Guests see a laptop and know what it does, cos they have one at home. They also know how much of the work of selecting and mixing music it can do. This may lead them to believe the DJ is "lazy". When they see Cortex/Denon/MEP/D2/DDS they see a professional bit of kit they don't understand, which has buttons to push.

And also, plenty of guests look at the kit, and as soon as they see the laptop, they assume it's running the show.
    entirely.

It's the mystique that makes the difference !!
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    So what if the DJ has a laptop with a Denon HD2500 or HC4500? Is that the same? Does the member of public think the same?

No, of course they don't. They don't think about it to begin with.

People that have been vaguely interested (as few as they are) in the equipment have been amazed that I use a laptop and controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    So what if the DJ has a laptop with a Denon HD2500 or HC4500? Is that the same? Does the member of public think the same?

No, of course they don't. They don't think about it to begin with.

People that have been vaguely interested (as few as they are) in the equipment have been amazed that I use a laptop and controller.
    Yeah but that's the point...they probably have a laptop too, but I'll lay money they don't have a controller !!
    That will make a big difference to their perception of professionalism.
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall