Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council Visit

Default Council Visit

Guys,

Just set up for a wedding at a local venue in there marquee. The manager has told me that they have been having problems with one of the neigbouring businesses (which is a good walk away as the venue I'm at is in the middle of a huge forrest in the middle of knowhere!). Consiquently they have been told that the council will be on site tonight. I am assuming they will be just there to assess noise levels and as such I have already tested sound at reasonable volume with my sound meter - getting a reading of around 50dB on the dance floor.

Any advice? Anything I have overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Guys,

Just set up for a wedding at a local venue in there marquee. The manager has told me that they have been having problems with one of the neigbouring businesses (which is a good walk away as the venue I'm at is in the middle of a huge forrest in the middle of knowhere!). Consiquently they have been told that the council will be on site tonight. I am assuming they will be just there to assess noise levels and as such I have already tested sound at reasonable volume with my sound meter - getting a reading of around 50dB on the dance floor.

Any advice? Anything I have overlooked?

I would be making the same assumption as you, that it would be to do with the level of sound.

I spend a lot of my time working in a venue with a 'sound limiter' and have found that if you keep the Bass levels down, that helps immensly. Also, watch you own mic levels.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

just play as normal & forget they are there.

you will probably find it's just one NIMBY anyway who is about 95, deaf as a post, lives 4 miles from the venue but when there is a disco on he can't hear Coronaton street for the noise... but what it really boils down to is the fact he just likes to be a killjoy cos he had a miserable teenage life & thinks it's unfair that teenagers can dance & be happy.

To be perfectly honest, it's not your problem, it's between the venue & the NIMBY, the Council are there just to see fair play & to reach a solution... which probalby means next time you work there you will find a limiter has been fitted & the old git down the road has stopped complaining.

Problem is the NIMBY's win. it's like all these people who buy a house at the end of an airfield then complain about the noise, yet the airfield has been there 30 years longer than the housing estate they have just moved on to. Thus meaning the airfield has to be moved & ther airfield has to run on a curfew & probably spend thousands trying to muffle the noise. I really wish the councils would just start turning round to these windbags & NIMBY's & just start to say tough titty... you moved in knowing full well there was an airfield at the bottom of the garden, so if you don't like the noise you should of thought of that before you bought a house where you did, so shut the **** up & live with it.

Nimby??

Not In My Back Yard
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Did they turn up?

The council, that is, not the wedding party!

There was a live music pub in Cambridge that nearly went under - they built retirement flats across the road. Before they had even sold 'em all they got together with a Plan To Stop That Music Across The Road.

Every time we (my old band) played there, just after we started a bloke would pop his head round the door to see if the band were playing, then back across the road to his flat and call the council round about the noise. Out they came, all sound levels correct.

Same again at the start of the second set - and again the council came out, again no problems.

Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night the same... so when the ents licence came up for renewal they restricted him to one night a week for music 'cos the council were p1ssed off at coming out twice a night for no reason! And added in one of them 'Noise Limiter' sockets which the band is supposed to plug into, cuts the power to the PA if it goes over the noise limit - our drummer used to set that off on his own (but we never had to plug into it in reality!).

...but then there was the time when I had a noise limiter in the hall at a 60th birthday in Lakenheath - while across the road they were firing up jet aircraft...

Just keep the bass down.

Sadly its the bass that tends to gives a good all round sound to most types of modern music--even Barn Dance and Country --just listening to middle and treble is a real turn off!

CRAZY K

Except for women apparently! They are attuned to the middle and top, whereas bass is a man thing!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Im afraid old people are the worst culprits for complaining because they are going deaf in certain tones hence all they think they here is bass thumps and tinny shreels from the treble you cant win

But the most annoying things are them sound limiters forever watching them bounce about all night have got to the point of purposely setting them of at some places just to get them removed as faulty, the councils are there own worst enemy. Who in there right mind would allow planning permission for OAP flats to be built right next to a music venue???

Did a wedding the other week at a village Named Lavenham very posh lottery funded village hall with libary. When the caretaker came up asking me turn the music down for the same reason. I quickly reminded him that If you leave the front doors open what do you expect. why were they open to allow people to go out side to smoke and still feel part of the party "yet another new council venue that will not allow smoking inside"???