Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Digital DJ's. Download or not?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm not Digital. Not applicable.

1 2.78%
  • I'm Digital, but no Lappy, Dongle, or Fruit based phone.

6 16.67%
  • No way Jose. I'm keeping my 79p in my pocket.

3 8.33%
  • A couple of tracks only, for important guests like first dance B&G.

7 19.44%
  • As many reasonable requests as needed.

19 52.78%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To download, or not to download

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I voted for "I'm digital, but no lappy, Dongle or fruit based phone" as I don't have any facilities to download music at gigs, nor am I interested in doing anything to change that.

My clients can request as many songs in advance as they like, and I'll download any that I don't have...so I always turn up at their gig with every single song they've asked for.

Apart from that, I have marginally under 10,000 songs and always carry at least 35 of the current top 40 songs, so it's very unlikely somebody will ask for a song I don't have, but on the rare occasions when they do, it's tough!

If it's not a song I already have, It's probably something I wouldn't want to play anyway.
    I've got loads already that I don't want to play.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've got loads already that I don't want to play.
    So have I!

ppentertainments

Dongle at every gig !!!

I like to think I'm fully prepared for all the musical needs of my clients prior to the actual evening, the majority of my gigs are weddings and for the most part I'm given a list of 30 tracks the bride and groom want, plus first dance, second dance etc. I won't be connecting my playout lappy to the internet and I'm fully prepared to tell a guest "sorry I haven't got it" if need be (no shame in that), which has happened on a couple of occasions. The option no way I'm keeping my 79p isn't true really because I've already spent a few 79p's on tracks I don't have in preperation for the nights events.

Edit: oops I should have gone with the no dongle type option.

You have to ask yourself this :

1. Am I going to be purchasing the track anyway
    2. Is the bit rate for the 79p download up to satisfaction
    3. Do I usually use downloads in any case

If you can answer 'Yes' to all of them, then I would definately go ahead with the idea of connecting to a broadband / 3G connection and downloading the request; otherwise taking in some very careful consideration prior to purchasing the said request.

Rob - If you were to have a laptop and free wifi connection present, and had intent to purchase the song anyway at some point, then it would appear a wise option
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 08-07-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    I like to think I'm fully prepared for all the musical needs of my clients prior to the actual evening, the majority of my gigs are weddings and for the most part I'm given a list of 30 tracks the bride and groom want, plus first dance, second dance etc. I won't be connecting my playout lappy to the internet and I'm fully prepared to tell a guest "sorry I haven't got it" if need be (no shame in that)
    One of those rare occasions where we agree!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    One of those rare occasions where we agree!

Certainly looks that way huh !

I get a playlist 14 days in advance but also take requests on the night. If a track is requested on the night that I feel will be of use in the future then I will download it onto my laptop via a dongle and play it direct from there legally I'll have you know. I download all the new entries into the singles top 40 every week so carry all the latest chart tracks. If you downloaded every track that you where asked for yo have some right old rubbish that you would never use again. You have you weigh up each request on the night.

The way I look at it is the said track may cost you £0.89p tops from Amazon, You're making X amount of £££ss from the gig and it may get your guests thinking me he is good. Didn't think he'd have that particular track

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    You have to ask yourself this :

1. Am I going to be purchasing the track anyway
    2. Is the bit rate for the 79p download up to satisfaction
    3. Do I usually use downloads in any case
    Genius Max, three things I would never have asked myself, seriously, never.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    The way I look at it is the said track may cost you £0.89p tops from Amazon, You're making X amount of £££ss from the gig and it may get your guests thinking me he is good. Didn't think he'd have that particular track
    So if there was a group of people on a table into a genre of music you weren't familiar with and kept making requests for tracks you haven't got, you'd just keep buying them?