Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How critical are you....

Arrow How critical are you....

How critical are you when you're at an event as a guest and another disco is performing?.

Are you critical of the performance?...or can you 'switch off' the inner dj in you and just enjoy the event?.

Do you introduce yourself to the dj, letting them know that you yourself are a dj?.

I,m always curious , like to see their setup, and see if i learn anything. Must admit though, recently i have been to a couple of parties, and well. I just cant believe what i,m seeing. Very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ
    How critical are you when you're at an event as a guest and another disco is performing?.

Are you critical of the performance?...or can you 'switch off' the inner dj in you and just enjoy the event?.

Do you introduce yourself to the dj, letting them know that you yourself are a dj?.
    I used to be very critical...

But to be honest, I can't remember the last time when I wasn't working and watching another DJ...

depends where I am, If a dj is mixing I can spot a bad mix in seconds

But at a party, then I try to stay away. But may request a song. But considering I do a lot of parties. Im not that often asked to one?? so when I actually am I try to enjoy myself.

I also think of an obscure track, then ask for it. Wait 10 mins, then ask again. Then get the misses to ask,(lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Valley Discos
    I also think of an obscure track, then ask for it. Wait 10 mins, then ask again. Then get the misses to ask,(lol)
    Funny, 'cos years ago when I first started, I used to go to clubs and ask for the most upfront dance tune I could think of and ask the DJ for it. :embarasse

I think we've probably all done that!

I've lost count of the amount of people who come up to me at gigs and say "I do a bit of DJing"...Yawn. :teeth:

sometimes i will go n chat with the dj - if i know him or here - if i dont then listen from afar - yeah i suppose im critical and would say something to dj that i kno w- but not to one i didnt

I always try and switch off

Often doesn't work

I think the key here is to consider how it feels for us when we're DJing. How many of us have had the classic "I'm a DJ mate...." line. I don't know about you, but most of the time it makes me feel like handing over the headphones and saying "go on if you think you can do better, I'll be at the bar".

Don't get me wrong, my wife hates taking me to parties where there's a disco and I will sit in the corner muttering to her about the things that I could do better, but I have to say, that's exactly where it ends. Whatever I personally think, I'm not the one paying his wages!

There was one occation where we were at a very close friends daughters 18th (I unfortunately was to expensive for them and the hotel new a chap.... need I go on?) and the father of the daughter came over a few times and asked if I would have a word with the DJ as they were very very upset about how bad he was. If he's pushed it, then I guess I would have, but I did manage to perswade him to have a word himself.

Quote Originally Posted by whitehousejamie
    I always try and switch off

Often doesn't work
    Exactly the same for me unfortunately.

I was at my school leavers prom the sunday before last, and i honestly did my upmost best to switch off and enjoy the night..but it didn't work as such, but i still had a good time though :teeth:
    :teeth: Scott :teeth:

Roadie/DJ for The Sound Factory,
    operating in the Midlands, covering counties throughout the region