Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad night

Default Bad night

Did a Wedding anniversary last night in a not very salubrious area.
    Over 100 people invited, only around 25 people turned up.
    Really did try to do my best but it wasn't really happening.
    Lots of tears at the end (thankfully not mine)
    and a near punch-up between opposing sides of the family. Definitely a night to forget.

Seems like the dj doing the function room next to me had a similar sort of turnout - roughly 25 in attendance .
    Has left a bad taste this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Did a Wedding anniversary last night in a not very salubrious area.
    Over 100 people invited, only around 25 people turned up.
    Really did try to do my best but it wasn't really happening.
    Lots of tears at the end (thankfully not mine)
    and a near punch-up between opposing sides of the family. Definitely a night to forget.

Seems like the dj doing the function room next to me had a similar sort of turnout - roughly 25 in attendance .
    Has left a bad taste this morning.
    The answer is in the first line. Avoid poor areas!!!!
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    That's a bit unfair and you can never judge how good or bad night is gonna be, whether it is a rough or posh area!!
    Ive worked in some very poor areas in the North East and loads of people turned on most ocassions and there has been no trouble!!
    Ive worked at posh do's and the people were nasty,rude and TRIED to treat me like some sort of servant!!!
    You can't refuse work because you don't like the area!!!
    Flipping eck some of us wouldnt work again if that was the case!!
    Last edited by simon1969; 22-08-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    That's a bit unfair and you can never judge how good or bad night is gonna be, whether it is a rough or posh area!!
    Ive worked in some very poor areas in the North East and loads of people turned on most ocassions and there has been no trouble!!
    Ive worked at posh do's and the people were nasty,rude and TRIED to treat me like some sort of servant!!!
    You can't refuse work because you don't like the area!!!
    Flipping eck some of us wouldnt work again if that was the case!!
    I can and always do. I have a list of venues and areas I will not work in because of the clientelle I have experienced there on more than one occassion.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Livewire - I refuse work in certain areas because it simply isn't worth the hassle. Watching the clock all night as well as my equipment etc isn't worth it. I know the ones to steer clear of and I do...simple as.

I do agree with you on the rudeness thing though. I have done functions where you can see the budget is small and they have been crackers with people who just want to have a good party. I have also done some functions where the budget has obviously been mad and I have been spoken to like a piece of the proverbial.

I worked in a poor area this friday and sat at the same place and to be honest althou it was not a very well paid gig(£180 a night and i could leave my equipment setup over night for the sat),i had 2 excellent nights.Friday night a had a teenager birthday party with 200 kids and sat was engagment with just over 200 adults.I sometimes think in poor areas they want to go out and have fun.Yet when you sometimes do more classy areas they do not know what fun is.

Unfortunatly we all come across gigs like this at some point.you sound as if you tried your best.

In my experience i often find that the areas in which we think are not so glamarous turn out to be some of the best nights,as the crowd are allways up for a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    Unfortunatly we all come across gigs like this at some point.you sound as if you tried your best.

In my experience i often find that the areas in which we think are not so glamarous turn out to be some of the best nights,as the crowd are allways up for a good night.
    Yes i agree with that soundmaster.I did a posh wedding a few months ago and there was a big punch up.

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    Well, that wouldn't make good business sense to me as my catchment area contains some of the poorest areas in the country. However, I find that the people tend to be friendly and always out to enjoy themselves. These people don't get to party 24-7. They work hard for the low money paid by employers in this area and, when they get to enjoy themselves, they definately do.

I also think it's a very crass comment to make.

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    Yes i agree with that soundmaster.I did a posh wedding a few months ago and there was a big punch up.
    I find weddings are more prone to trouble than any other function regardless of the venue. People have been drinking for large parts of the day, stress levels are high, families whose members don't always get along - it's the perfect recipe for bother! But, luckily for me, the trouble has never involved me and I've always been able to walk away at the end.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Well, that wouldn't make good business sense to me as my catchment area contains some of the poorest areas in the country. However, I find that the people tend to be friendly and always out to enjoy themselves. These people don't get to party 24-7. They work hard for the low money paid by employers in this area and, when they get to enjoy themselves, they definately do.

I also think it's a very crass comment to make.

I find weddings are more prone to trouble than any other function regardless of the venue. People have been drinking for large parts of the day, stress levels are high, families whose members don't always get along - it's the perfect recipe for bother! But, luckily for me, the trouble has never involved me and I've always been able to walk away at the end.
    I agree Daz used to do some of the venues at that neck of the woods Hendon,Grangetown etc, and where I live now it wouldn't be practical for me to refuse business, on account of the area.
    I'm glad some of you have a choice which venues you work at, and my equipment has never been damaged and is unlikely to be aswell (I do have insurance though )...